Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Future of games in Forgotten Realms (or D&D)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blackEyEz
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  19:42:46  Show Profile Send blackEyEz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, are there any upcoming games (comercial or kickstarter) featuring the realms? Its been since BG/IWD2 i was immersed in a good RPG. I tried D&D online but i very much dislike eberon with robots *shiver*.

I keep hearing about license problems could anyone share some info or a link about this issue?

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  20:12:46  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt there will be a Kickstarted game featuring any specific D&D or FR elements, simply because Hasbro/WotC would have to be the ones doing it, and they don't operate that way.

As for their own licensed games, I haven't heard of any upcoming ones. The Neverwinter MMO was the latest big release, but it's got a similar fell to DDO, I think (never played either, so take it with a grain of salt). The ultimate online D&D experience in my opinion, though, are Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent Worlds - check my sig.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2014 :  02:39:29  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately not. However there are two RPGs I have great hopes for and are meant to be heavily inspired by the Infinity Engine, I'd recommend checking them out. They are: Pillars of Eternity (formerly known as Project Eternity) and Torment: Tides of Numenera.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  08:17:24  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The OGL roguelike, Incursion, was open-sourced a few days ago.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  12:30:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
blackEyEz, not sure if you saw the Updated Baldur's Gate games or not.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  14:19:06  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately the only realms game out right now is the Neverwinter MMO , however they did release an enhanced edition of the Baldurs Gate games recently so you can check that out as well if you like old school games.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  10:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Heartfelt rambling incoming*

I think it's a shame that we aren't getting good CRPGs based on the FORGOTTEN REALMS setting. It was through a Forgotten Realms CRPG that I first became aware of the setting - to be specific, 'Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon' for the Amiga. Its atmosphere drew me in, and that simple yet wondrous tile-based dungeon crawler is basically responsible for me becoming a fantasy nut. I have tried to play the gold box games - you know, 'Pool of Radiance', 'Curse of the Azure Bonds' etc. - but they are simply too old now for me to be able to sustain interest. Now, I would buy the heck out of modern reboots of these games.

There is of course the Enhanced Editions of 'Baldur's Gate' and 'Icewind Dale', but I have already played all those games when they were released, so even though there are some nifty graphics updates and a few additions, it doesn't compel/invite me in the same way that the promise of a new adventure would.

To scratch the itch, I occasionally reinstall the old 'Dungeon Hack', but more recently I have been playing 'Legend of Grimrock 2' which is the closest one comes to a good old dungeon crawler dressed up for 2014.

I could theoretically install and level myself up in 'Dungeons & Dragons Online' to enter the Forgotten Realms, but I don't find that particular game to have any worthwhile atmosphere in terms of graphics, presentation, style, I simply don't like it (ideally someone would be producing CRPGs based on good old AD&D in my opinion). The same goes for 'Neverwinter Online' really, which I don't feel is a Realms game at all *even though it's in the Forgotten Realms*.

Which leaves me with 'Neverwinter Nights' and 'Neverwinter Nights 2' which both provide a little of that nice taste of the Realms, with the possibility to use mods extending these games' lives in great ways. I have currently reinstalled 'NWN2' with the mood "Pool of Radiance" but, again, there's something about the stylistic choices that make me not feel it totally. Perhaps it's the fact that the game is built on pregenerated tiles which makes most games look the same; perhaps it's that I want more story, more NPC interaction, more the feel of an adventure than being dumped into a generic fan-made module.

It is the strangest thing, to me, that WotC don't have a group up and running for creating more games set in the Forgotten Realms. And I mean games that are built to provide you with a story and an experience, not to run around grinding. Basically, I wish we had more games in the good old style - complex, interesting, with lots of choices, deep dungeons and high adventure. I hope someone with the skills will eventually provide all that one needs to build Forgotten Realms adventures within the 'Legend of Grimrock 2' engine.

I want to create a party of adventurers and enter the Realms and see faithfully reproduced visions of what the Realms should look like; I would love a sandbox game, it could even be a MMO if done correctly, where I could enter the Realms and go where I wanted, when I wanted; I would love to "see" Scornubel, to traverse the High Forest, to see the Sword Coast from the deck of a ship, to go on a quest through the Dalelands, to sail the Sea of Fallen Stars, to infiltrate Zhentil Keep, etc etc.
As good a transfer from tabletop to PC as possible.

I would love to play CRPGs based on existing modules; a proper Undermountain game, everything included, or to enter Hellgate Keep, or to visit Silverymoon...I would love to see a continuation of games in the style of 'Baldur's Gate', but instead of going back to that city, why not games like 'Waterdeep', or 'Marsember', or 'Impiltur' or what have you. Story-driven games set in other parts of the Realms, with new stories for new character parties.

Imagine a Realms game incorporating as much of Ed's lore as possible, down to the tiniest detail, with that quirky sense of humor (found in the 'Baldur's Gate' games), that sense of adventure just waiting for you...Imagine a game calling for adventurers for an Assault on Darkhold...that would be great.

Most of all, I wouldn't mind an 'Eye of the Beholder IV'... sigh.

I'm aware I haven't mentioned all Realms games published over the years, but those I haven't mentioned were probably not that exciting to begin with.

Anyway, if you haven't tried the two 'Legend of Grimrocks' consider this a recommendation :)
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  11:33:39  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, not really a Forgotten Realms game, but , Strategic Simulations Inc. got resurrected as Tactical Simulations Interactive, and they are making a video game, Seven Dragon Saga, that is said to continue the SSI work on D&D video games, especialy the Gold Box games.

Aside from the D&D-like games mentioned above, there are also several other, notable titles that feel like Dungeons and Dragons games. The two Drakensang games, have a feel very similar to the Infinity Engine games, although tey are based on ruleset of the German role playing game, The Dark Eye/Das Schwarze Auge. The Dragon Age games, also have a strong similarity to Infinity Engine games, which makes sense, as they are made by Bioware, the creators of the Baldur's Gate games, and the Infinity Engine itself. Another recent game, that is a must to check out, is Lords of Xulima. We create the party in this game, like in Icewind Dale, or older RPG games, the way how the player explores the world, and it's basic interface, also resembles a Infinity Engine game. But there are some notable difrences from IE games, like only the leader being visible outside of battle, like in many older Japanese RPGs, and combat is first person turn-based, similary to Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Dragon's Quest, and Might and Magic games. There is also our fellow Candlekeep sage Zirael's excelent rouge-like, The Veins of the Earth.

Edited by - Baltas on 25 Nov 2014 11:44:44
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  12:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have played one of the Drakensang games, and I bought Lords of Xulima last week (I'm a CRPG junkie, what can I say), but while they have their charms they don't give me that wondrous feeling of being immersed in a fantasy world (preferably the Realms), I don't know why but it seems I can't be too happy about a CRPG unless its like the Eye of the Beholder or Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games. They have that something extra, if you know what I mean.
Still, thanks for responding :)

Oh and thanks for the top on the new game, I haven't heard of it before.

Edited by - Caladan Brood on 25 Nov 2014 12:06:59
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  12:19:01  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem, I also always like to share some interesting news.
Also, other interesting news is that Paizo is working with Obsidian Entertaiment. They released first a simpler, Pathfinder traiding card game for tablets, but they wrote they would want to make a more complex, RPG game, set in Golarion, using the Pathfinder rules. So I think it's the closest we have, as of now, to an official, big D&D video game release in the future, as there doesn't seem to be any D&D games annouced by WoTC in the near future.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  13:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which I think is so confounding; here they are, releasing the fifth Edition of D&D, and not supporting that with a slew of new PC games? If there ever was a good time to market the brand it would be through computer games, right now. I guess they are channeling some of that aspect into Neverwinter Online but seriously, is that the kind of game you wish to associate with your brand?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  14:56:02  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think $$ is the answer to the question of why we aren't seeing 5e CRPGs coinciding with the release of the rule books... this is obviously just a theory from a guy who doesn't know anybody at WotC but I'm guessing Hasbro is keeping them on a small budget until they prove that 5e will succeed. 6 months or a year after the DMG comes out, they'll probably get to plead their case for an increased budget, and if they get it they'll hire more staff and start producing things more quickly.

Neither WotC nor Hasbro are in the CRPG business. A cost-benefit analysis of creating their own game studio isn't going to come out positive because it would mean competing with the likes of Blizzard and the other big names in the industry. So it's going to be outsourced, and that means they need to find a good studio, with people who know and love the 5e game (which means waiting on people to gain experience with it) and *really* want to make a 5e D&D CRPG, in addition to needing the money to hire them to make it.

That's several things that need to fall into place before they can even Start on the process of making the game, and they need to be far-enough in the process to know it's going to succeed before they make any big announcements about what they're planning, or else they get more of these "uh nevermind, not gonna happen" announcements like they just had with Trapdoor or whatever.

Just my 2 cents, and like I said I don't know anything.
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  23:49:24  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

(...)Which leaves me with 'Neverwinter Nights' and 'Neverwinter Nights 2' which both provide a little of that nice taste of the Realms, with the possibility to use mods extending these games' lives in great ways. I have currently reinstalled 'NWN2' with the mood "Pool of Radiance" but, again, there's something about the stylistic choices that make me not feel it totally. Perhaps it's the fact that the game is built on pregenerated tiles which makes most games look the same; perhaps it's that I want more story, more NPC interaction, more the feel of an adventure than being dumped into a generic fan-made module.
(...)

Caladan, might I ask you what's put you off our PW, Tales of Moonsea? For me, what you describe is really what we're trying to do, except focused on one town and its surroundings (because of module size issues and tremendous amount of work needed) and not trying to reproduce existing FR modules, but instead making new stories in the places they're set in. So it'd be good to know where we're failing for you.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

Edited by - Mapolq on 25 Nov 2014 23:50:00
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  17:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mapolq, I never actually got around to you and your project. Or I tried and something didn't work out. Maybe I'll give it a try. :)
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  20:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, I reinstalled Neverwinter Nights 2 and now I remember why I never joined Tales of Moonsea; it was such a hassle But I finally figured out how to edit the nwncdkey file and get on with it, so now I am downloading ..rather slowly.. synchronized core content (or some such). Gives me the time to think about a character, though :)
I see that the Server News hasn't been updated in three years, but people are still playing?

Edit.
Bah, this downloads so slow I won't be playing tonight :/

Edited by - Caladan Brood on 27 Nov 2014 20:23:08
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  00:21:51  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, we hardly update news anywhere but the game forum and in-game information these days. Originally, people thought the server would attract hundreds of people (those were the days of BIG nwn1 servers), but it turned out nwn2 never went quite as popular, particularly for more niche playing (i.e. not centered on killing and looting everything that moves). So, yes, people still play, but it is a small community (we're usually between 10-15 active people between DMs and players). And the fact we're small is why we don't have time to update everything as we would like.

Edited by - Mapolq on 28 Nov 2014 00:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  18:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall a MMO about Golarion in the works... Paid, unfortunately.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  02:43:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is but Pathfinder Online is still only in Alpha stage and just a few days back they pushed back the early enrollment. So, maybe in a year or two if luck holds out this might be released beyond Alpha and Beta stages. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I seem to recall a MMO about Golarion in the works... Paid, unfortunately.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

artificial_sunlight
Acolyte

Netherlands
14 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  12:30:57  Show Profile Send artificial_sunlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beamdog (from Baldurs gate EE and IWD EE) is working on a BG1/2 expansion (maybe even stand-alone), and it should be ready in spring 2015. It will use 2e (same as BG).

And if they have the recources and approval of WotC they wish to create Baldurs Gate V/Next (based on the last ruleset) Murder in Baldurs Gate opened the door to new BG games I think.

Dutch FR Story Collector
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  06:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that sounds promising :)
Go to Top of Page

Austin the Archmage
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2014 :  16:16:49  Show Profile Send Austin the Archmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So how come there aren't more Dungeons and Dragons games nowadays? Back in the 90s they made quite a few. Now there's next to nothing. What happened?
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2014 :  18:44:41  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Austin the Archmage

So how come there aren't more Dungeons and Dragons games nowadays? Back in the 90s they made quite a few. Now there's next to nothing. What happened?

Those games made TSR quite a lot of money. A lot of recent games have not been very good money spinners. Neverwinter Nights 2 was not as popular as the original NWN; Temple of Elemental Evil, Daggerdale and Legends of Mystara were all complete flops and DDO, though turning a profit, is not doing as well as Neverwinter is; plus all of their online tabletop plans have fallen through.

My guess is that WotC is thinking more carefully about who they licence their brand to - they want a guaranteed money making game. Lords of Waterdeep and the Enhanced Editions of the old Black Isle games are doing well in the tablet market so they might decide to concentrate there.

Still, I just named thirteen games released over the last thirteen years so it's not like there's a shortage of D&D branded games.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 26 Dec 2014 18:47:05
Go to Top of Page

Austin the Archmage
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  02:04:01  Show Profile Send Austin the Archmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a possible explanation for why we don't see as many DnD computer games as we used to.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?523552-Forgotten-Realms-Popularity/page2&highlight=hasbro

The second post offers some explanation. The thread is a few years out of date so I don't know how much of it still applies.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  13:05:25  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, and probably explans a lot. I wonder if it means we won't get much d&d video games, until after 2017?
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  14:07:32  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I have played one of the Drakensang games, and I bought Lords of Xulima last week (I'm a CRPG junkie, what can I say), but while they have their charms they don't give me that wondrous feeling of being immersed in a fantasy world (preferably the Realms), I don't know why but it seems I can't be too happy about a CRPG unless its like the Eye of the Beholder or Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games. They have that something extra, if you know what I mean.
Still, thanks for responding :)

Oh and thanks for the top on the new game, I haven't heard of it before.

Caladan, if you allready reinstalled NWN2, you may want to test out Baldurs Gate Reloaded, and Icewind Dale remake modules for it. Both are great, but Baldurs Gate Reloaded, is just a brilliant recreation!
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2015 :  20:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new Baldur's Gate 0-0
The comment section is pretty much overwhelmingly negative.
I remain cautiously optimistic and very curious.
Weird I hadn't heard of this before:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/09/new-baldurs-gate-game/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000