Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Few weird questions...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  17:23:55  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sommetimes, I happen to have some question popping up in my head...

For example, Beholder Hive Queens are using Charm against other beholders, right? Isn't it useless ability, when antimagic gaze could possibly dispel the effect?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  18:17:32  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Madness changed this slightly. The ability is now called Command Beholder and it is specifically mentioned that only the antimagic gaze of another beholder can dispel it, not the gaze of the beholder being affected.

First, beholders are incredibly self-centred and would have to have a very good reason to even concieve of helping out their kin.

Secondly, as soon as the effect is dispelled, the hive queen instantly becomes aware of the fact and also knows precisely where her lost slave is.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  18:38:01  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Sommetimes, I happen to have some question popping up in my head...

For example, Beholder Hive Queens are using Charm against other beholders, right? Isn't it useless ability, when antimagic gaze could possibly dispel the effect?

I've not seen any source that says Hive Queens use charm on all the beholders in a enclave. They CAN live together of their own free will. The hive mother is advised by a council of elder eyes.

They are lawful evil after all.

I'm quoting Guide to the Underdark. Maybe other sources have superseded this.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  19:29:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Lords of Madness changed this slightly. The ability is now called Command Beholder and it is specifically mentioned that only the antimagic gaze of another beholder can dispel it, not the gaze of the beholder being affected.

First, beholders are incredibly self-centred and would have to have a very good reason to even concieve of helping out their kin.

Secondly, as soon as the effect is dispelled, the hive queen instantly becomes aware of the fact and also knows precisely where her lost slave is.

Yeah, but if I was a beholder in a hive and I came across another beholder, I think I'd habitually hit it with my anti-magic gaze, just to prevent it from attacking me (even though they're supposed to be your friend... you can't trust them).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  21:28:34  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sleyvas, but then perhaps this is considered rude/poor form and isn't done regularly. Also, I don't like the idea of a hive mother being aware of where the lost thrall is...unless we make their powers psionic I see no reason for a 'command beholder' ability to also convey the location of a slave. But that's just me.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  04:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That makes sense. Probably, the Charm as in old rules was used for quick battle situations.

Other question:

A one armed or one legged creature finds a pair of magic gloves or magic boots respectively. Will he be able to use full power of artifact by equipping only one of the pair, without having any prosthetics of kind? Or maybe only half of power? Or none at all?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  10:48:13  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on the items. Some will work with only one of the items worn, others will have reduced function if only one of items is worn while still others won't work at all unless both items are worn.

It can also depend on the specific creature. The 'slots' for magic items that we are presented with in books assume a humanoid form, but examples of non-humanoid slots have been given in the past.

For example: a grell can't wear head, face, torso, body, waist, shoulder, hands or feet slot items

But instead, they get to wear 2 neck slot items, 2 pairs of arm slot items and four rings.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  12:12:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I agree with Sleyvas, but then perhaps this is considered rude/poor form and isn't done regularly. Also, I don't like the idea of a hive mother being aware of where the lost thrall is...unless we make their powers psionic I see no reason for a 'command beholder' ability to also convey the location of a slave. But that's just me.

Another thought is that they may specifically do this with each other KNOWING that they themselves may be under the control of the hive mother, and it may be considered standard to do so just to thwart the absolute control of the hive mother over them as a group (i.e. yeah, they'll protect the hive mother, but none of them want to give up their free will).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  13:25:39  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Sill: I would handle the magic item situation on a case-by-case basis. Gloves of thievery may only convey half their combined bonus for a single glove for instance. But Boots of Varied tracks might have a humanoid print coupled with a wolf print or something. Further, I would rule a single bracer of armor doesn't work at all.

Since multiple ring slots were brought up for grell I'll say this. I think the 2 ring rule is stupid (even as a DM I ignore this rule). It's one of the more arbitrary game balance rules. If a DM doesn't want to deal with a player running around with 10 rings on his hands and another 10 on his feet...then don't give out so many rings.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  16:13:34  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I would allow them, but they would have only two working ones. Unless there is a feat like in Savage Species that allows another ring wielding.

I mean, it must be universal rule like formula of invisibility spell.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  19:11:28  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Extra Rings feat from the Eberron Campaign Setting allows a character to use 4 rings but requires you to be 12th level and able to make your own magic rings. Extra Item Space is much more useful if you've got more limbs than most humanoids.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  19:27:49  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My issue with the extra rings balancing act is that it's illogical. I mean a PC can be decked out in magic armor, 2 rings, bracers, boots, a belt, a cloak, a headpiece, and have all manner of magic items and weapons on their person...none of which 'interfere' with each other. But let that 3rd ring hit your finger and 'poof' one of them loses power? Makes no sense to me.

I also have an issue with feats being used to circumvent things in an illogical manner. For instance, why should a drow be forced to spend a precious feat slot to over come bright light? If they spent 10 years on the surface it should just be automatic (or a bonus feat given by the DM). I could go on and one about this but I don't want to derail the thread. I'm just saying that I prefer some logic to rules application.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  08:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we have two dueling mages, one giant (variety not important) and one sprite (ditto).

Each of them casts one and the same fireball at each other.

Will the size of each caster's fireball scale to their size? Or by the material amount used?
Will both fireballs will have the same size?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  11:35:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

So we have two dueling mages, one giant (variety not important) and one sprite (ditto).

Each of them casts one and the same fireball at each other.

Will the size of each caster's fireball scale to their size? Or by the material amount used?
Will both fireballs will have the same size?

I've not seen any listed variables for caster size. I'd expect the fireballs to be the same size.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  12:49:56  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed with Wooly, for they use the same formula and touch the weave in the same way. But I'd expect draconic breath weapons to be proportional to the dragon...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  13:48:29  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes they would be the same size because the spell is dependent on the 'magic formula' used (that's how I interpret it). A mage using widen spell is basically altering the formula.

In my homebrew I use a magic language as a skill. It's needed to understand the nuances of such formulae (changing the wording of a spell alters its outcome).

Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  15:24:36  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I think the 2 ring rule is stupid (even as a DM I ignore this rule). It's one of the more arbitrary game balance rules. If a DM doesn't want to deal with a player running around with 10 rings on his hands and another 10 on his feet...then don't give out so many rings.

I completely agree.

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  22:49:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to beholders ... I‘d think that few beholders would dare to oppose a queen‘s will by dispelling (or attempting to dispel) her magics. The queens are formidable opponents one-on-one, and they certainly have many other beholder allies (or slaves) at their command.

It‘s not a question of ability, it‘s a matter of survival - defy a queen at your own peril, not something done (or forgiven) lightly, beholder wars could be started against a powerfully entrenched opponent.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  16:11:20  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it's tough to be big and nerd...

Okay!

Create Water allows summoning a lot of water with amount increasing per each caster level.

Question: Can a mage use this spell to damage Fire Elemental by sudden creation of maximum amount of water above target in shape of cube and letting it fall?

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  18:58:20  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The simple answer is no. Creatures of elemental fire just burn, they are not affected by a lack of oxygen or being immersed in water. There is no rule that says fire elementals are damaged by water.

A more complex answer is that, there is a rule that says, essentially: that to a fire elemental, water is an impassable barrier. This is much like lava is to anyone not protected from fire. Taking this logic, you could say that water affects them like a mortal would be if they somehow find themselves in a place where they would be automatically killed - taking 20d6 damage per round until it is no longer immersed.

Your example of a create water spell should give the elemental a reflex saving throw however.

It's up to you whether you go by the letter of the rules or by the extrapolation that I've provided.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 18 Apr 2014 19:02:21
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  20:51:10  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fire elemental beneath Gauntlgrym doesn't seem to be hurt by the column of water and water elementals swirling over its head, so much as merely contained.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  21:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's ubernerd the Create Water question.

Assuming 3.5e, caster level 20, you would create 40 gallons of water. Casting it almost straight over your own head would let you drop it about 70 feet. Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. You just dropped something weighing 320 pounds on someone's head. So, using "Falling Objects" rules, you would deal 7d6 damage just from the weight/height of the drop, onto any opponent, not just something fiery.

CL 15; 30 gallons, 240 pounds, 60 feet, 6d6 damage.
CL 10; 20 gallons, 160 pounds, 50 feet, only 2d6 damage. Less weight requires more height for damage.

Still, not bad for using a cantrip outside the box.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  21:55:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemel

Let's ubernerd the Create Water question.

Assuming 3.5e, caster level 20, you would create 40 gallons of water. Casting it almost straight over your own head would let you drop it about 70 feet. Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. You just dropped something weighing 320 pounds on someone's head. So, using "Falling Objects" rules, you would deal 7d6 damage just from the weight/height of the drop, onto any opponent, not just something fiery.

CL 15; 30 gallons, 240 pounds, 60 feet, 6d6 damage.
CL 10; 20 gallons, 160 pounds, 50 feet, only 2d6 damage. Less weight requires more height for damage.

Still, not bad for using a cantrip outside the box.

Eh... Not all of that weight would hit the same point, at the same time. If the water is not in a container, the intended victim is going to be standing under a big stream of water. He or she might get knocked down, as if by a fire hose, but I'd rule there would be very little damage, if any, unless there was a particular vulnerability to water.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  22:34:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I‘d thought there was a rule of thumb about elemental-effects-vs-opposed-elementals ... printed in the rules somewhere, probably the general spellcasting preface stuff instead of within specific spell descriptors. Perhaps somewhere within 2E PO: Spells & Magic, where Elementalists are discussed?

In a nutshell, base 1d6 dmg per spell level (not caster level), Save vs half-damage, modified as the ever-magnanimous DM sees fit.

I would think that elemental spells should at the very least affect vulnerable creatures like, say, holy water would affect undead.

But then - would a water elemental take damage from hurled flasks of burning oil?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Apr 2014 22:36:47
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  15:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I‘d thought there was a rule of thumb about elemental-effects-vs-opposed-elementals ... printed in the rules somewhere, probably the general spellcasting preface stuff instead of within specific spell descriptors. Perhaps somewhere within 2E PO: Spells & Magic, where Elementalists are discussed?

In a nutshell, base 1d6 dmg per spell level (not caster level), Save vs half-damage, modified as the ever-magnanimous DM sees fit.

I would think that elemental spells should at the very least affect vulnerable creatures like, say, holy water would affect undead.

But then - would a water elemental take damage from hurled flasks of burning oil?

I'd imagine water elemental would be hurt, since despite popular opinion, their bodies do not get full benefit of element composing them when they are in their normal humanoid form (otherwise you would never be able to hit fire and air elemental with normal weapons), meaning the flask would hit water elemental and burn it. If it would react by turning into body of water, maybe it could be protected from it, maybe not.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000