Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 About Pandorym (Elder Evil)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  19:56:19  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm curious about Pandorym. After I read about the D&D deities, including Ao, I do not understand how Pandorym is able to kill all the gods. Given that a god is very hard to kill, I can not imagine how much power is needed to kill all the gods. Specifically, if Pandorym can kill all the gods, then its power is close to Ao's?
I understand that Pandorym has a different kind of power - psionic. This is the secret?
Note: if I open the topic in the wrong place, I apologize and ask to be moved to an appropriate section.

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  21:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can actually read about Pandorym almost being set free in the Realms in Darkvision, by Bruce Cordell. It has been too long since I have read both Elder Evils and Darkvision for me to really add anything to this topic though.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  00:24:42  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, his description was buffed up for Elder Evils.

In the Realms he was originally only supposed to defeat the manifestations of the mulhorandi and untherian pantheons to stop them form toppling the Imaskari rule. He wasn't supposed to take on full fledged deities in their true forms.
Go to Top of Page

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  12:54:17  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean that Pandorym was not originally an Elder Evil? Interestingly.
I have read the Elder Evils book on Scribd and that I understand, that Pandorym can kill the gods in their true form.
I have not read Darkvision, is it on Scribd?
The question remains: the power of Pandorym is approximately equal to Ao's?
I ask this because I wonder if Ao can prevent Pandorym from killing all the gods.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  15:38:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pandorym was trapped by the Imaskari... so, no, it's not on a power level with Ao.

However, I had not known that they detailed it in elder evils (never read it, will do so now).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  16:45:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm, ok, so I'm reading Elder Evils and it sounds like Pandorym and Entropy are the same being (or rather the being known as Entropy is the body of Pandorym). Which, I'm looking at something from a few months back, and Demzer made this connection a few months ago, and I didn't catch it.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18370

We know from the dragon issue #178 that they defined Entropy as a powerful primordial now (which is to say "an elder evil" in another term). Said article also states that Ao imprisoned Entropy in his inert form as a warning to the gods (so possibly he helped the Imaskari... or its uncertain which entrapped him). Then along comes Tiamat, who mucks with Entropy and starts using his body as some kind of divine conduit. A few years later, the spellplague happens. Now, the sundering's happening, and Tiamat's trying to come to Toril in mortal form according to this article.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dnd/tyrannyofdragons

Meanwhile, Entropy is down in Chessenta, slowly swallowing up the countryside that used to be controlled by Tiamat's worshippers. I wonder if some of those lands that "transferred to Abeir" actually were gobbled up by Entropy.... and I wonder if the Mulhorandi who suddenly disappeared but left their country behind didn't simply get displaced into the extradimensional space that is Pandorym/Entropy's body. I did read darkvision, but I'm trying hard to remember what happened at the end (I recall people were mining the crystals of the extradimensional prison to make body grafts).

I also note that there's a lot of links between Entropy and Tiamat (i.e. the same year Entropy appears to the Karanoks, Tiamat appears in Chessenta in 1346). Then there's the 1370 connection where Tiamat starts linking to it as a divine conduit.

Throw in the idea we were also talking about in the other thread where Talos is actually some kind of "creation" of Entropy from the divine energy of the god's it has absorbed... and Talos disappearing whenever the spellplague happens and Entropy is freed. There's definitely a story linking many gods and powers here. I especially like the old idea I had where Entropy was involved with absorbing some of the gods from the Orcgate wars as well.

From Elder Evils:
Body: Pandorym’s physical component does not truly exist as a body in the multiverse but is a conduit to the incomprehensible reality of its home. It manifests as a 30-foot-diameter sphere of annihilation (DMG 279), but no being—not even a deity—can control it, even using a talisman of the sphere. Any attempt to control the Gargantuan orb instead causes it to slide 90 feet toward the creature. Touching the entity with a rod of cancellation destroys the rod and causes Pandorym’s nonbody to slide into the square
from which the rod touched it. With the seal of binding sign in effect, spells that force an extraplanar creature away do not affect Pandorym. However, a gate spell cast on it has a 5% chance of sending it back to its transdimensional prison (nothing happens otherwise). Like a sphere of annihilation, Pandorym’s non body destroys everything
it touches, aside from deities. The ancient wizards hid Pandorym’s body in a secret location in a distant part of the kingdom, far from the crystalline prison that holds its mind.

From Dungeon #178
Entropy
Great Nothing, Swallower of Gods, Magechill, Unaligned Primordial [Oblivion]
Symbol: A sphere of pure black
Befuddling sages and theologians for millennia, Entropy’s (en-trah-pee) true purpose was at last revealed upon the calamitous joining of worlds brought on by the Spellplague. As the Swallower of Gods and the Devourer of Worlds, Entropy has represented the single direst threat to the mortal world since the Age before Ages. In that long ago era, when Ao banished the primordials to Abeir, the overgod imprisoned Entropy in the guise of a sphere of annihilation and discarded the inert primordial on Toril with a warning to the gods: Govern the world wisely or face utter oblivion. With Cyric’s folly and the unraveling of the Weave, Entropy is freed once more to spread ruin across the face of Toril. Every day the primordial’s entropic maw grows wider, threatening to swallow the world whole, while the weakened powers of the Astral Sea stand powerless to stop it. Priests of Entropy are known as thaumatoclasts.

Maw of the God Swallower: Few places in all Faerûn are as feared as this expansive region of plagueland in south-central Chessenta. Unlike other pockets of Spellplague that distort terrain or bend natural laws, the Maw of the God Swallower is a growing cyst of utter annihilation. At its periphery, the sky darkens suddenly and the soil underfoot crumbles away to dust. Moving farther in, the scarred landscape suddenly falls away like a great penetrating wound carved into the soul of the world. At the heart of the void, suspended above the nothingness, hangs Entropy, the mere sight of which is said to shatter a mortal mind.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  17:38:45  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Lore skill is very low, so I hope you do not mind if I tell you I do not know what you're describing. I know nothing about Entropy, but I do not think it's the same creature as Pandorym.
Pandorym is described as a psionic creature, and Entropy (I just assume based on the name itself) is the total annihilation personified. Also Pandorym was trapped by the Imaskari wizards, as shown in the book, not by Ao. This is a contradiction: Pandorym is stronger than all the gods, and yet it was trapped by mortal wizards.
I'm really curious to know more about Pandorym because of this reason and others.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  17:50:33  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHOA.

Awesome stuff about the Maw of the Godswallower there.

Not sure what powersource it actually uses, but I think psionic fits Pandorym best since the arcane magical item talisman of the sphere is not even able to control it. I remember it being susceptible to force based magic though, based on some scenes in the novel Darkvision. Also most elder evils originated from the Far Realms, and some sources claim thats where psionic powers were first discovered.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  18:21:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naron

My Lore skill is very low, so I hope you do not mind if I tell you I do not know what you're describing. I know nothing about Entropy, but I do not think it's the same creature as Pandorym.
Pandorym is described as a psionic creature, and Entropy (I just assume based on the name itself) is the total annihilation personified. Also Pandorym was trapped by the Imaskari wizards, as shown in the book, not by Ao. This is a contradiction: Pandorym is stronger than all the gods, and yet it was trapped by mortal wizards.
I'm really curious to know more about Pandorym because of this reason and others.

Pandorym's body and Entropy's inert essence prior to the spellplague were exactly alike (giant spheres of annihilation). Pandorym may have psionic powers... hell, it could have wizardry as well. That really doesn't make any difference. Also, the one thing you have to get used to with the realms is "what you're told may not be the whole story". For instance, if the Imaskari used some kind of ritual magic to separate Pandorym's mind from its body... who says that somehow Ao wasn't a part of that. Similarly, when the Imaskari put up the godwall that prevented the Mulan gods from entering realmspace... who says that Ao didn't have a hand in that as well. Ao very well may have been involved with the Imaskari in some way that hasn't been revealed as yet.

What we can state is that this Pandorym's body is DEFINITELY the same basic body that we have described for Entropy. Given that we know of no other giant sphere of annihilation in the realms, and that something happened with Pandorym and Entropy at the time of the spellplague.... its fairly safe to say they're related somehow. I just throw in the disappearance of Talos as well as some further suppositions.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  18:24:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm, to go totally rampant here.... IF the Imaskari had something to do with the creation of Entropy and Entropy's body is Pandorym's body..... remind me again, what happened to Halaster/Hilather during the spellplague?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  18:46:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You do come up with awesome links sleyvas.
I was going to ignore pandorym as just another novel deus ex machina.
But now ive just changed my mind.
Pandorym can be the imaskaris biggest mistake.

Although I'm not sure where you are going with Halaster with this one.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 26 Jan 2014 19:17:00
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  19:27:38  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmmmm, to go totally rampant here.... IF the Imaskari had something to do with the creation of Entropy and Entropy's body is Pandorym's body..... remind me again, what happened to Halaster/Hilather during the spellplague?

During the Spellplague nothing, in the canon Realms Halaster bit the dust in 1375 and Pandorym was reimprisoned in 1374 (Tarsakh 19 according to GHotR).

A tenous link can be found earlier:
Higharvestide 1369: Halaster gets kidnapped by the Twisted Rune and loses control over all his projects;
then
1370: Pandorym is freed;

EDIT: Also Tiamat started using Entropy as a conduit in 1370, uhm ... i'm wondering what was Halaster doing in 1346 when Entropy appeared in the Karanok's mansion ...

Edited by - Demzer on 26 Jan 2014 19:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  19:30:26  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Halaster being (one of) the most powerful imaskari messing around the Realms by the 1370s, sleyvas is probably wondering if he was keeping tabs or was involved in other ways with Entropy or Pandorym or both.
Go to Top of Page

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  20:48:44  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sleyvas, if Pandorym is Entropy, I do not understand some things. The book says that Pandorym's body cannot be controlled by anyone, gods and mortals. You said that Tiamat has used the sphere of annihilation (Entropy/Pandorym's body in this case) for some plots. It is not a contradiction?
I do not really know Faerun's history (spellplague, etc), but if Pandorym was released, I do not see how it could be imprisoned again. Because the book says that once Pandorym is reunited with its body, it's unstoppable. Pandorym's release is equivalent to the end of the world, if I understand correctly.
Also, about the imprisonment of Pandorym, why do you think Ao intervened? Ao does not deal with mortals. Ao doesn't care about the mortals affairs.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  21:17:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tiamat didn't CONTROL entropy so much as just use his name as a divine conduit. Its always been documented (I believe anyway) that no one could really exert control over Entropy. Essentially, she made these "daughters of Entropy" or other spheres of annihilation appear... which is rare, but creatable. She made it "appear" that certain demonic beings were transmitted out of the "daughters of Entropy" (easy enough to do if you make them appear in front of it). In fact, I've often played with the idea of using the living spell template with the "sphere of ultimate destruction" spell from the spell compendium as an explanation for the daughters of Entropy. Also, she encouraged the Karanok's to begin worshipping "Entropy" through these "daughters of Entropy" and took over the alias and began siphoning the worship. She did this in 1370.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  21:23:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Halaster being (one of) the most powerful imaskari messing around the Realms by the 1370s, sleyvas is probably wondering if he was keeping tabs or was involved in other ways with Entropy or Pandorym or both.

Essentially, yeah. I was wondering if he'd had any involvement with Entropy/Pandorym at all. Did he help with the imprisonment/separation of psyche's? Is this possibly why Mystra gave him so much leeway?

I was also wondering if his "death" didn't free up some kind of controls that were in place. Which puts a little bit of a sinister twist on his death (i.e. was Tiamat somehow involved in the shadows and we don't know it.... or was she just taking advantage of things). Also, yes, I wonder if Halaster had any involvement in 1346.

I have nothing concrete in mind here, but like you say... timing is odd (1369 he dies, 1370 pandorym almost freed and separate Tiamat starts tinkering with Entropy as an alias).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  06:27:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thinking about the "sphere of ultimate destruction" living spell made me think/look up some interesting options. Figured I'd post them.

Spell Compendium spell "ooze puppet" would let one control a living spell

Dragon #304, awaken ooze spell (Sor/Wiz 8th) would give intelligence to the living spell (note, in the case of the sphere of ultimate destruction, you would need some way to cast this touch spell from range....). Note, in the case of the Karanoks, it would be an irony for a wizard to awaken a "sphere of ultimate destruction" living spell

Note, since a "sphere of ultimate destruction" acts as a disintegrate spell, you could not use an amulet of ooze riding "A&EG" to ride one.

The invisible spell metamagic enhancement (source cityscape)applied to a "sphere of ultimate destruction" living spell could be particularly interesting

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  08:46:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose if anyone were to know of Pandorym it would be Halaster.

Does anyone know who tried to wake this thing up?

Oh and Naron, as Sleyvas said, you very rarely get the whole picture about things in Forgotten Realms. A perfect example of this can be found by reading the Dalelands sourcebook and then reading the Cult of the Dragon sourcebook.

Both detail a historic dragon fight in one of the dales. The Culr of the Dragon gives the correct version of events, the Dales gives the incorrect one. However the Dales version of events makes it into 2 other sourcebooks that i can recall.

And just occasionally the information you are given is just plain wrong and so if you dont like something rewrite it. If you ever get round to reading Giantcraft then you will see some massive mistakes in there that have proved impossible for many here to reconcile with existing lore.

Often the most interesting lore and plot hooks arise from these inconsistencies that esteemed scribes here have attempted to fix, how do you think we ended up with 2 Impilturs, 3 Illefarns and several Fallen Kingdoms.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  15:24:14  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sleyvas, I read more about Pandorym and still have doubts about the identity Pandorym = Entropy.
For example (quoted from http://community.wizards.com/forum/forgotten-realms/threads/1310471) : he's from the "quasi-reality" that is "perpendicular to the Great Wheel".
Or that the origin of Pandorym is Far Realms. If this is true, Pandorym can not be a primordial and therefore can not be Entropy. Right?
Sorry if I'm pushy, I'm a learner who wants to absorb as much information as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  16:02:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a number of primordials that are extraplanar in origin.
A primordial was really a term applied to powerful beings that live forever but can be killed and dont grant spells.
Since mortals cant kill gods (without deific sponsors) then primordials are the biggest challenge available for pcs to battle

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Naron
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  14:18:18  Show Profile Send Naron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found a thread about Pandorym, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?337742-Why-are-the-gods-scared-of-Pandorym.
I still do believe that Pandorym != Entropy.
Off-topic question: How I can do insert custom text for URL links?
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  21:31:32  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naron, I agree ;)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  23:55:40  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Was Entrophy not retconned into being connected to Shar, or am I misremembering?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  01:01:07  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I recall...though that has always kinda made sense to me...rather than Tiamat or Talos...last I recall Entropy was retconned as simply being a primordial of unknown origin that was brought to the Realms for an unknown purpose and at some point (perhaps around the the time of the First Sundering) Ao made an example of Entropy by separating it's consciousness from its body...which is where the speculation that Entropy = Pandorym originates as the description and story elements are incredibly similar...though I have long speculated that Entropy/Pandorym was brought/called into the Realms during the War of Light and Darkness by Shar (perhaps by secretly manipulating Talos into actually carrying out the summoning if you'd like to tie the separate bits of lore together)...the only piece would left to explain in the puzzle is what part Tiamat plays and how much she actually knows, or if it was just coincidence...
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  09:04:13  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally think the whole Pandorym thing is a strange story.

One on side you have mortal Spellcasters that somehow gets information about this being from the vastness of the void perpendicular to this world or from the far realms or from the mind of some crazy DM somewhere at Ed's table and somehow contacts this being, makes it come to Faerûn where they, again mortal spellcasters, splits it and imprisons the beast. How would a bunch of human artificers do this if the being at hand had the power to destroy all the deities of realm space? This to me is where the story goes off the cliff.

To me there are a couple of scenarios.

1) The Pandorym is really not that strong. And not threat to the god. This is contradicting to the lore we have so that’s probably wrong.

2) It was not really the Imaskari who summoned, split and imprisoned the beast. It was actually done by the help of some other greater power. Shar, Mystryl, AO.

3) I personally believe that AO has full control inside his crystal sphere and were the pandorym to be activated I think that AO would intervene... with ease. At least I would say that AO has the power to banish any being from realm space. Even beings like the Pandorym or the lady of Pain.

EDIT: The Entrophy information was completely new to me, but after reading the pandorym write-up and entropy's through the very nice links, I don’t think it’s the same creature. The might be the same species but not the one and same or come from the same place. I don’t know.

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 15 Apr 2014 09:17:20
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  21:48:18  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well until the 4e "expanded" the back story of Entropy the connection between Pandorym (the consciouness being trapped in its prison)and Entropy (being the more or less inert body)...unfortunately the timeline given for Entropy in 4e makes their connection more tenuous I agree...but a few problems remain: 1) if Entropy isn't the body of Pandorym then where is Pandorym body (it would be kinda hard to miss); 2) one scary all-consuming being that was brought from a parallel universe is scary enough, but 2 stretches credibility; 3) if the Gods were threatened enough by Entropy and it took Ao to neutralize the threat than why in Faerun would he allow abunch of human mages summon a second one, not to mention the fact that they were apparently able to do what only Ao could do to Entropy; 4) if the Gods were so threatened by Entropy when she first arrived, then why is there no reaction now that Entropy is free (not to mention how in the world did she manage to break the bonds set by Ao; 5) Assuming Entropy and Pandorym are separate entities, then why is a god-killer and world ender simply lounging about Chessenta slowly knawing on the scenery (I kinda figured she'd be pissed and go after those that had the audacity to imprison her)...I could go on, but I think you get the point...
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  22:30:22  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

Well until the 4e "expanded" the back story of Entropy the connection between Pandorym (the consciouness being trapped in its prison)and Entropy (being the more or less inert body)...unfortunately the timeline given for Entropy in 4e makes their connection more tenuous I agree...but a few problems remain: 1) if Entropy isn't the body of Pandorym then where is Pandorym body (it would be kinda hard to miss); 2) one scary all-consuming being that was brought from a parallel universe is scary enough, but 2 stretches credibility; 3) if the Gods were threatened enough by Entropy and it took Ao to neutralize the threat than why in Faerun would he allow abunch of human mages summon a second one, not to mention the fact that they were apparently able to do what only Ao could do to Entropy; 4) if the Gods were so threatened by Entropy when she first arrived, then why is there no reaction now that Entropy is free (not to mention how in the world did she manage to break the bonds set by Ao; 5) Assuming Entropy and Pandorym are separate entities, then why is a god-killer and world ender simply lounging about Chessenta slowly knawing on the scenery (I kinda figured she'd be pissed and go after those that had the audacity to imprison her)...I could go on, but I think you get the point...

Indeed...

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  01:06:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I just can't see them being separate entities. I wasn't exactly happy when I saw the stuff about Pandorym, but as with all things with the realms, I try to roll with what is canon and fit all the pieces together. I kind of wonder if the Imaskari side of things had SOMETHING to do with the godswall. The symbolism between separating the "mind" and "body" of Pandorym and separating the physical forms of the deities from their "mental form" found in the outer planes is intriguing. I just wonder if the Imaskari didn't find the imprisoned Pandorym somehow and thus he was unable to really resist their magic (and perhaps Ao guided them to him).

I agree that the primordial Pandorym/Entropy was probably part of the original sundering. I suspect that it was one of the powerful primordials released by the Batrachi. I'm betting that Ao somehow imprisoned Pandorym/Entropy within the crystal sphere. Also, since Entropy is known as the "swallower of gods" and "destroyer of worlds", I half wonder if it didn't destroy some other worlds in realmspace.

On the entry that Pandorym comes from "quasireality best described as “perpendicular” to that of the Great Wheel"..... could it be that Pandorym is actually a native primordial of the phlogiston? After all, the phlogiston specifically doesn't interact with the outer planes (you can't summon beings etc....).

So, what is the maw of the godswallower doing down in Chessenta?

I do hate to bring this up, but there was actually another something kind of like a giant sphere of annihilation. Basically, "Shar's eye" was forming in Ordulin in the recent godborn book.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  02:15:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not that I recall...though that has always kinda made sense to me...

-Mmm, alright then. I was probably thinking of someone's homebrew explanation(s), since, yeah, Shar and Entropy do make more sense connected than anyone/anything else.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  10:04:19  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I remember, Pandorym's body was imprisoned in the Vaults of the Purple Palace along with Hilather and the Grand Staff, amoung other preiceless Imaskar artifacts. The mind somewhere I dont remember.

To be perfectly honest I think that the Pandorym and Entropy are simply subjects of retcon. Meaning that the Pandorym story is the "right" one, but that the designers of 4th ed, simply made AO be the source of that sort of power. (In my mind they disliked what was going on in the old realms and especially that mages/artificers had SO much more power than other peaople/classes in the game, so for balancing reasons they changed that, without directly re-writing the whole story).

This might not be the case, but that's the idea I get. Because 1) If Entropy was here before the Imaskar (by the power of AO and entropy and the pandorym is the same), they could not have imprisoned him/it/her as the lore tells us. And 2) as far as I recall the vaults of the purple palace was not situated in Chessenta, but was a demi/pocket-plane, but with an entrance/portal in the purple palace dungeons. SO entropy/pandorym would have had to move/ change places. Unless they are two different beings, which would be quite unusual even for the realms to have two doomsday devises.

So for them to be the same, one of the stories are wrong. Personally I prefer to believe the pre-spellplague one. Even though I know that retcons mean the new story is the right/canon one.

Also why would AO need to have such a being when during the TOT he managed just fine to punish the deities without Entropy/ Pandorym. So personally I just think its a respinn/retcon of the Imaskar legend.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  22:37:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

As far as I remember, Pandorym's body was imprisoned in the Vaults of the Purple Palace along with Hilather and the Grand Staff, amoung other preiceless Imaskar artifacts. The mind somewhere I dont remember.

To be perfectly honest I think that the Pandorym and Entropy are simply subjects of retcon. Meaning that the Pandorym story is the "right" one, but that the designers of 4th ed, simply made AO be the source of that sort of power. (In my mind they disliked what was going on in the old realms and especially that mages/artificers had SO much more power than other peaople/classes in the game, so for balancing reasons they changed that, without directly re-writing the whole story).

This might not be the case, but that's the idea I get. Because 1) If Entropy was here before the Imaskar (by the power of AO and entropy and the pandorym is the same), they could not have imprisoned him/it/her as the lore tells us. And 2) as far as I recall the vaults of the purple palace was not situated in Chessenta, but was a demi/pocket-plane, but with an entrance/portal in the purple palace dungeons. SO entropy/pandorym would have had to move/ change places. Unless they are two different beings, which would be quite unusual even for the realms to have two doomsday devises.

So for them to be the same, one of the stories are wrong. Personally I prefer to believe the pre-spellplague one. Even though I know that retcons mean the new story is the right/canon one.

Also why would AO need to have such a being when during the TOT he managed just fine to punish the deities without Entropy/ Pandorym. So personally I just think its a respinn/retcon of the Imaskar legend.

Bear in mind that Entropy wasn't always in Chessenta. It just appeared there a few decades before the spellplague. So, it may HAVE moved.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000