Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  22:48:10  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
Currently reading The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  22:56:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Scimitars of Drizzt

I recently finished Gauntlgrym.

I thought I would expand my horizon in the Realms. I've only read Realms lore from a select few authors. I really want to get into new series', especially some of the older ones. Elminster is on my list.

But for now, I'm diving into Forsaken House by Richard Baker. The only Baker novel I've read, was his installation in the WOTSQ series. What are people's thoughts on Forsaken House?

I enjoyed the books, but I'd not rank them among my faves, even for Realms novels. I've seen a lot of criticism leveled at the trilogy for weak characterization and character development.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  23:24:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Going to follow it up with Wishsong?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  23:47:52  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Going to follow it up with Wishsong?

That's pretty much what I was planning, especially since I had borrowed the original Shannara trilogy from my DM (I already returned The Sword of Shannara to him, having read it a while ago), and realized that he would probably want them back at some point*. Also, seeing the trailer of The Shannara Chronicles peaked my interest in the books again (and reminded me that Elfstones and Wishsong were still sitting in my 'To Read' pile. -__-')

*EDIT: Actually, my DM's been pretty patient with me, considering I borrowed the novels about two years ago. Then again, he also knows that the end of 2013 and most of 2014 weren't... a particularly good time in my life, and probably decided that I had other things to get sorted out.

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 18 Aug 2015 23:56:09
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  16:53:38  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I thought I would expand my horizon in the Realms. I've only read Realms lore from a select few authors. I really want to get into new series', especially some of the older ones. Elminster is on my list.

But for now, I'm diving into Forsaken House by Richard Baker. The only Baker novel I've read, was his installation in the WOTSQ series. What are people's thoughts on Forsaken House?

I enjoyed the books, but I'd not rank them among my faves, even for Realms novels. I've seen a lot of criticism leveled at the trilogy for weak characterization and character development.

You're talking about The Last Mythal, right?

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  17:48:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

You're talking about The Last Mythal, right?

Yup.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  21:52:22  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
Finished reading Dragonwall, started The Crusade ! Soon i'll end novels reading to read 2 books of Philip Athans about writing fantasy fiction to prepare my self for my second nanowrimo participation :)

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution

Edited by - HardKano on 19 Aug 2015 21:52:48
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2015 :  16:01:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading Dragon Wing, book 1 of the Death Gate Cycle.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2015 :  16:41:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

That's another fun ride. Have you read the books before?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2015 :  18:11:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm currently reading The Dragon's Son, the second book of the Dragonvarld trilogy by Margaret Weis. Next up is, obviously, the third book. But Lurue only knows what I'll read after that...

Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2015 :  19:28:43  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
quote:

I'm currently reading The Dragon's Son, the second book of the Dragonvarld trilogy by Margaret Weis. Next up is, obviously, the third book. But Lurue only knows what I'll read after that...

I actually read book one of that series years ago. I started reading The Dragon's Son after, but never got far. It's actually still collecting dust on my bookshelf. That was back when I read novels that weren't set in the Realms.

An interesting series, but probably my least favourite among the fantasy I've read. I've only read a little though, some Shannara and Dragonlance, as well as numerous different series in the Realms. Definitely something worth getting in to for a change.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 20 Aug 2015 19:29:35
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2015 :  20:04:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Nope! I'm 50 pages in and can tell that I'm really going to enjoy this series and the setting.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2015 :  22:52:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope! I'm 50 pages in and can tell that I'm really going to enjoy this series and the setting.

Heh, "setting" is an interesting word, in that series, since each of the first 4 books happen on a different world.

Pryan (first seen in book 2) was my fave of the lot, though Chelstra (first seen in book 4) was quite interesting to me, as well, mostly for the way the mensch society was configured, and also because of the dwarven technology.

When I met Margaret Weis at GenCon, and was geeking out, I quoted my favorite line from Elven Star -- I'll not go into specifics, but when you read the book, you'll easily be able to guess which character it was.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2015 :  15:23:00  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Work has been crazy lately but I finally finished Cold Days by Jim Butcher last night. Excellent book.

Not sure what I'll read next.
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2015 :  04:04:09  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
Forsaken House is proving to be a good read thus far. I'm only 60 pages deep though. If it's anything like The Gossamer Plain (my last read by a relatively unfamiliar author), it will start out promising only to lead to an around average read. I don't believe this will be like that though. Ostensibly, we're actually heading into Faerun in this book, which is what I was wanting.

It's always interesting to see how authors' portray the character development of villains. Anything is a nice refresher from Salvatore. No hate intended.

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 24 Aug 2015 04:06:02
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2015 :  04:49:44  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Work has been crazy lately but I finally finished Cold Days by Jim Butcher last night. Excellent book.

Not sure what I'll read next.

Decided to go with Mort by Terry Pratchett. It's been a while since I visited the Discworld.
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  21:47:21  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
I'm almost 150 pages deep into Forsaken House now. This book is great; I'm having no issues with anything in particular. I really enjoy Baker's writing style. Not at all is the character development weak in my opinion. Then again, there's always usually something that needs to get picked apart in good books. But in my opinion there's no problem with characterization. I am really enjoying the flow, and the characters of this book.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  13:12:19  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting Elven Star, Book 2 of the Death Gate Cycle.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  16:45:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Starting Elven Star, Book 2 of the Death Gate Cycle.

Ah, you will soon meet one of my favorite characters from Weis & Hickman. And they have established that despite the name, he is not connected to who you'd think he's connected to. You find out a lot more, later in the series, about him.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  16:56:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm currently reading Prince of Fools, and quite enjoying it. It's a first person POV, and that first person is a prince. And though he is handsome and charming, he's not your iconic fantasy prince -- the first line of the book is "I've always found hitting a man from behind to be the best way to go about things." The man being hit from behind is a nobleman; the reason he's being hit from behind is because Prince Jalan planned on leaving unseen after sleeping with one of the lovely sisters of said nobleman.

Prince Jalan is likable, but he's also a gambler, a womanizer, a self-professed coward, and a liar -- pretty much what you'd expect from someone 10th from the throne. Events throw him into a quest with a Viking and involving the undead. I'm quite curious to see how this quest is going to shape the prince.

The setting is quite Earth-like. There's an implication that it's a very distant future, but it could also be an alternate Earth. I'm curious to see if that is addressed.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Aug 2015 17:05:36
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  17:01:26  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
I am rereading Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham. I think this is my sixth time reading it, and it's really making me want to run another elven campaign. One steeped in history, lore, and location, location, location. Throw in a few specific elven items for good measure, and that would be perfect.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  17:06:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I am rereading Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham. I think this is my sixth time reading it, and it's really making me want to run another elven campaign. One steeped in history, lore, and location, location, location. Throw in a few specific elven items for good measure, and that would be perfect.

Only 6th?

I've honestly lost track of how many times I've read that one... I got it a few months after it came out, as a Christmas present, and finished it that day. It's been one of my faves since then.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  17:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Only 6th?

I've honestly lost track of how many times I've read that one... I got it a few months after it came out, as a Christmas present, and finished it that day. It's been one of my faves since then.

Heh, yeah. I have several other books I've read a lot more, namely David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean. Those were the first ever fantasy books that I read, and I still favor them to this day. Out actually took me a while to discover D&D fiction, but I knew about the game for years before that. I honestly think that I was a senior in high school before I found out about them. A friend of mine that was in choir with me was reading Dragons of Autumn Twilight, and I asked him about the book. At first I wasn't that impressed from simply hearing about it. I actually went to a used bookstore and found a copy and read the first chapter. That's when I was intrigued. A few months later, working at the movie theatre, I found out about Elaine Cunningham. The rest is history.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  14:52:54  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Mort by Terry Pratchett. I quite enjoyed it.

Now reading Skin Game by Jim Butcher.

Edited by - DragonReader on 01 Sep 2015 14:53:16
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  14:57:18  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message
ARCHMAGE is mine! Mwahhawhwhwhawaw

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2015 :  02:05:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Elven Star and continuing with Fire Sea.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2015 :  20:55:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm currently reading a book called Zer0es. It's about a bunch of individual hackers that are rounded up by the government, given the choice of a year hacking for the government or 10 years in prison, and then given various apparently unconnected hacking tasks. Being hackers, they of course figure out that there are connections, and find ways to slip (to a certain extent) the government leash. And then you also find out that not all is well with this one secret thing the government is doing...

Next after this will be another book I picked up at the same time, Zero World. Despite the names, the books are not related -- they just happened to come out at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2015 :  23:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message
I keep forgetting to post updates here. Last I posted, I was reading the Counselors and Kings trilogy. I finished the Counselors and Kings trilogy. Loved it. I just finished Spellstorm. Enjoyed it, but it wasn't my favorite. I need to finish Salvatore's Iron Dwarf and I have Archmage, but I'm kinda burnt out on Drizzt at the moment, so instead I started Blackstaff Tower. I forgot how much I enjoyed Steven Schend's writing style. It just sucks me in. There aren't many authors that I can actually picture the world they're describing as I read with ease, but he's one of them.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  14:00:04  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished up Skin Game by Jim Butcher. Wow, this series (the Dresden Files) gets better with each book. Highly recommend it...

Next up a graphic novel collection of comics from the Star Wars: Empire series called In the Shadows of Their Fathers.

Then probably Working for Bigfoot by Jim Butcher
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  14:14:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Working on Zero World right now. It's enjoyable, but nowhere near as good as Zer0es was -- that's making my fave new reads list for this year.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000