Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  16:27:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm about halfway thru my friend Beth's book, The Clockwork Crown, and I am quite enjoying it. She's taken the main character in some unforeseen directions, and I'm eager to see how everything is going to play out.

After that, I'll get back to the Hitchhiker's Trilogy -- I'm in Life, The Universe, and Everything, right now.

After that, I'm not sure what will be next. I've unexpectedly developed a to-read pile of very recently acquired new stuff, so I've got plenty of choices, there...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  14:45:15  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Over the weekend, I finished The Emperor's Knife the first book in the Tower and Knife trilogy by Mazarkis Williams. I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be pretty original and well written.

Now reading some more Dresden Files stories from Side Jobs.

Then it is on to Tower and Knife #2 Knife Sworn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  16:19:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm about halfway thru my friend Beth's book, The Clockwork Crown, and I am quite enjoying it. She's taken the main character in some unforeseen directions, and I'm eager to see how everything is going to play out.

After that, I'll get back to the Hitchhiker's Trilogy -- I'm in Life, The Universe, and Everything, right now.

After that, I'm not sure what will be next. I've unexpectedly developed a to-read pile of very recently acquired new stuff, so I've got plenty of choices, there...

Besu knocked it out of the park with The Clockwork Crown. Not many books cause me to feel emotional about the characters, but the wringer Octavia goes thru was enough to get me. There were a lot of twists and turns, too -- all in all, a very good book, and I'd heartily recommend it and Beth's first book, The Clockwork Dagger.

Just started the fourth book of the Hitchhiker's Trilogy this morn, so in another day or two, I'll be ready to tackle that growing to-read pile. I may start with The Fold by Peter Clines -- I've quite enjoyed his other books, and he has the best author bio I've ever read.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  17:48:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I just finished Dan Brown's Inferno.

There is a major plot hole so I didn't enjoy it as much as his other books. Still a pretty good read, though, if you like history-based thrillers.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  18:49:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I just finished Dan Brown's Inferno.

There is a major plot hole so I didn't enjoy it as much as his other books. Still a pretty good read, though, if you like history-based thrillers.

I liked it a lot better than the previous Robert Langdon book, and I particularly enjoyed the way he stepped away from his usual formulas, with this one.

Still wasn't as good as Da Vinci Code, in my opinion.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Jun 2015 19:05:26
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  00:04:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I haven't read the third one (The Lost Symbol) in that 'series', if that is the one you are talking about. Not a big fan of stuff taking place in the Americas (the plot seems similar to the movie National Treasure). Was that any good?

I liked Deception Point, even though it wasn't a Robert Langdon novel.

And yeah, this one went a different route then the others. The ending was a bit of surprise, and I am still debating on whether I like the way it was done (because it pretty much makes the novel irrelevant). The major plot twist was pretty cool, and there was no way of seeing that coming. Still a fun read - I love history and art, and this one had that (but as you said, nothing compares with the DaVinci Code in that regard).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Jun 2015 00:05:21
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  00:12:51  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
I finished Venom In Her Veins a couple of days ago, and, to be perfectly honest, it's probably one of my favorite Realms novels, ever. The story is very well-written and is never dull, and the characters are interesting and easy to sympathize with. Especially Zaltys, who is now one of my favorite Realms characters. (She needs her own series of novels!)

Erm, anyways, I'm going to start reading another FR novel, The Fanged Crown, written by Jenna Helland. I don't expect it to be as good as Venom, but I'm hoping it won't be bad, either. It certainly can't be worse than the canon novelization of the Baldur's Gate game.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  00:35:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I haven't read the third one (The Lost Symbol) in that 'series', if that is the one you are talking about. Not a big fan of stuff taking place in the Americas (the plot seems similar to the movie National Treasure). Was that any good?

Indeed, The Lost Symbol. It thoroughly failed to grab me. I found it formulaic -- just plugging in different details into the same plots he'd already used -- and I thought the "secret" of the bad guy's identity was plainly obvious pretty much as soon as he was introduced.

Additionally, I was really disappointed because the early buzz about the book gave it a different name, and there were indications that the Kryptos sculpture was going to be a part of it -- but it was not.

As usual, I'm not going to tell someone not to read that one... But I'm also not going to recommend it, any time soon.

There's another non-Robert Langdon book out there by Dan Brown -- Digital Fortress. I don't recall being particularly impressed by it, but I'd still rank it more highly than The Lost Symbol.

Go to Top of Page

therodfather
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  20:55:17  Show Profile Send therodfather a Private Message
quote:

Next, I've decided to revisit a couple of more light-hearted faves: Good Omens and my four-book omnibus edition of The Hitchhiker's Trilogy. It thankfully omits the fifth book... And since I bought this book in Ireland, it doesn't contain the American edits that were done to the first couple of books, to trim out the profanity. Ironically, though, the edited version of the scene at the party is funnier than the original version.

Have you read the sixth book written by Eoin Colfer? I actually think And Another Thing... does a lot to repair the damage caused my Mostly Harmless and think the series of six is much stronger than seeing it as a four or five book series. To each their own of course.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  23:21:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by therodfather

quote:

Next, I've decided to revisit a couple of more light-hearted faves: Good Omens and my four-book omnibus edition of The Hitchhiker's Trilogy. It thankfully omits the fifth book... And since I bought this book in Ireland, it doesn't contain the American edits that were done to the first couple of books, to trim out the profanity. Ironically, though, the edited version of the scene at the party is funnier than the original version.

Have you read the sixth book written by Eoin Colfer? I actually think And Another Thing... does a lot to repair the damage caused my Mostly Harmless and think the series of six is much stronger than seeing it as a four or five book series. To each their own of course.

I have not. I prefer to stick with the original author of a series, and not with anyone who came along later... Additionally, by simply not acknowledging the 5th book (which I've not read in 10 or 15 years, and that I've only read once or twice), I've no damage to repair.

Go to Top of Page

therodfather
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  23:33:19  Show Profile Send therodfather a Private Message
I'm usually in that camp, but was very pleasantly surprised. I think it matches tonally what Adams wanted to do with Salmon of Doubt.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2015 :  03:56:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading Realms of War.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2015 :  18:02:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
So I'm reading one called The Fold right now... It's about a guy who is asked to look into this DARPA project where the researchers have made this thing they call the Albuquerque Door -- basically, a technological portal. Everything looks like it works and works well, but the researchers are way too secretive, and there's already been an odd incident where one of the people who went thru the portal had an apparent mental breakdown shortly afterward.

I'm thinking the book may have some connection to another of the author's books, 14. So far, there's only one passing reference that links them -- but it's a notable one: the guy checking out this project wonders about the green cockroaches he sees when checking out the project. 14 also had some really funky green cockroaches, and the events of that book suggest there could be some further connection.

I'm quite curious to see how this one will play out.

In other news, two years ago, my friend Beth Cato didn't have any books published. Now she's got two books published, and just announced another two book deal. Thinks I that going from no books to being on the hook for 4 books, in just a couple of years, is a really good sign and an indication that she's going places.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2015 :  00:47:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
The Calimport accessory. Bakkal/pasha searching.

Before that I was reading the Moonsea and the Dalelands accessory and had a peek at one of the Raven's Bluff accessories for Vast stuff. I also had to refer to Ruins of Zhentil Keep as well.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2015 :  02:45:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I just got the new Warmachine sourcebook, Reckoning. So I'll be reading it concurrently with my other stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  05:09:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Finished The Fold earlier today. Quite a ride! I really enjoyed that one. And I was correct -- the green roaches were just the first connection to 14, another book by the same author, that I also quite recommend. It's not a sequel, though, more a case of it's in the same setting -- the author calls it a "side-quel" in the afterword.

Now I'm on the latest Dave Gross Pathfinder book, Lord of Runes.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  19:45:47  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Ended up finishing Side Jobs a great collection of short stories in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.

Then I started Knife Sworn, book #2 in the Tower and the Knife trilogy by Mazarkis Williams. So far I am enjoying this one as much as the first.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  21:03:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading through the Al-Qadim supplement Golden Voyages.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2015 :  13:15:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting Gauntylgrym with abandon.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2015 :  16:33:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've had some time off from work, so I've been able to get a bit more reading done... I finished Lord of Runes, started and finished Dead Shift, and now I'm on Storm and Steel. I'm also reading a Shadowrun ebook, Borrowed Time -- and unlike a lot of other ebooks, this one actually has the page count of a proper novel.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next; this is pretty much all of the pile of recently acquired books. I may finally backtrack and read a couple of Realms series I'd skipped previously, like the Haunted Lands and Brotherhood of the Griffon books.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Jun 2015 16:34:52
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2015 :  02:31:15  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
I finished Knife Sworn the second book in the Tower and the Knife trilogy by Mazarkis Williams. Really great book!

Next up is Ghost Story by Jim Butcher.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2015 :  06:09:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Just purchased Spellstorm. Now to find the time to read it.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2015 :  14:53:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Just finished Storm and Steel, and I'm still working on Borrowed Time -- I always read the ebooks more slowly, because I usually grab something in dead tree format before thinking of grabbing my tablet or phone.

Other than a couple of Shadowrun books, I've made it thru my pile of recently acquired stuff. Rather than start a series, as I was originally thinking, I grabbed a book I read for the first time a year or two ago, Influx. It's about a scientist fighting a rogue government agency that's been throttling technological advances since the 1950s. They've got access to a lot of really nifty tech and are just sitting on it, and this scientist doesn't like this fact in general, the fact that they're specifically sitting on his own anti-gravity discovery, and the way they treat the scientists who refuse to play ball with them.

I had to go with a standalone novel, because there's at least three books coming out this month that I'm interested in, and another book that's already out that escaped my notice. That book is called Darkened Blade, and it's the latest in the Fallen Blade series, about a holy assassin whose deity was murdered.

Other books this month that are of interest are a new Star Wars novel, Neverwhere: The Author's Preferred Text, and Armada by Ernest Cline -- the same guy that wrote one of my fave novels, which is now being adapted for a movie: Ready Player One. Very much looking forward to that one.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  13:31:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Gauntlgrym, continuing with Neverwinter.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2015 :  04:22:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
So I planned on getting the new Star Wars book, Dark Disciple, the day it dropped. But I forgot the 20% coupon I had, so I had to wait an extra day. In the meantime I read a Shadowrun novel called Crimson.

It was... okay. The major problem with the book is that it simply lacked a plot. There was a story arc, if you will, of this vampire who was helping his buddy, who was the leader of a ghoul community. But that was about it... It was more of case of connected subplots than an actual plot.

I think the book had some potential; it should have been sent back to the author to punch up and develop an overall plot. Instead, it was published as it was. So while it was far from being the worst thing I've read, it still doesn't rank too highly.

I just finished Dark Disciple, which was written by the same Christie Golden that gave us my fave novel from the Ravenloft line, Vampire of the Mists. I very much enjoyed this one; it may be the best of the Star Wars novels, since they kicked aside the old novel continuity and created a new one.

And like Lords of the Sith, it revolved around a plot to kill someone that you knew wasn't going to be killed -- in this case, Count Dooku. I think it takes something of a deft hand from an author to write a book about killing someone, when you know for a fact (in this case, from the movies) that the would-be victim is going to escape relatively unharmed.

Next up is Darkened Blade, the next (and I suspect, the last) of the Fallen Blade novels. These books also show something of a deft hand from the author; the main character is an assassin, but he's also a good guy. In his case, he served as a member of a holy order of assassins answering to the goddess of justice; he and the other Blades didn't work for hire, they were given missions from their goddess, to eliminate those who would otherwise be immune to justice. The Blades are also magic-users of a sort, and they are aided by their familiars -- living, sentient shadows that replace their own natural shadow. In this particular book, Aral's goddess calls on him to get justice for her own murder... which seems a bit of a tall order.

Armada drops on Tuesday; that's the next book on my list. I'm thinking that after that will be Ender's Game and Sense & Sensibility -- I've never read either.

And then of course the new version of Neverwhere drops just in time for me to read it on the flight to Indianapolis.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Jul 2015 04:24:30
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2015 :  20:01:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 13 Jul 2015 20:01:53
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2015 :  22:37:18  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message
I finished The Wyvern's Spur and Song of the Saurials, and enjoyed them a lot. It was really nice to see a neutral-neutral character (Olive) who was allowed not only to be described as smart in words, but actually act and behave like it! Yessss! No characters stupid for plot's sake! And good plots too, although I think the last one was the weakest of the trilogy (still good though).
Go to Top of Page

Bivrip
Acolyte

Uganda
1 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  04:18:32  Show Profile Send Bivrip a Private Message
Finished up Spellstorm and started on The Starlight and Shadows trilogy. After that, plan on hunkering down with Lisa Smedman's Lady Penitent trilogy.
Come September; The Archmage will be waiting for me to be eaten up next.

Edited by - Bivrip on 14 Jul 2015 04:20:07
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  15:42:49  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. I really liked what he did with this one.

Next up... I am not sure, could be Tower Broken the concluding book in the Tower and Knife trilogy by Mazarkis Williams or Cold Days the next book in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  15:51:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Finished Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. I really liked what he did with this one.

I really liked the revelations about who shot Harry.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000