Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  21:11:04  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
Re-reading the Drizzt series so I don't have to reach so far back in my memory banks when reading the new ones. Almost done with The Lone Drow, then moving on to The Two Swords. I'm trying to catch up on Realms fiction in general, but will squeeze Yeats's Irish fairy tale book in somewhere in the near future as well. :-)
Go to Top of Page

wannabesuperman
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  00:09:05  Show Profile  Visit wannabesuperman's Homepage Send wannabesuperman a Private Message
Just finished Companions and starting Godborn.

"What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way?" --Clark Kent, Daily Planet. January 2001
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  03:26:09  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finshed Sharps by KJ Parker. Excellent book.

Now reading Changes by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files #12)
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  20:53:43  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message
Just reading Charon's claw.good but not as good as never winter which was better than gauntlgrym.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  05:47:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished Blood and Iron, which wasn't bad. Not great, but I likely will look for the next book in the series.

I've got some books on order that should arrive Saturday, but obviously, I need reading material before then... I found The Anubis Murders sitting on my shelf. I picked that up like 3 years ago and never got to it... So that's my next read.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  16:33:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished the Al-Qadim Caravans boxed set. By the gods I wish more Al-Qadim products were produced!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  17:25:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I finished Blood and Iron, which wasn't bad. Not great, but I likely will look for the next book in the series.

I've got some books on order that should arrive Saturday, but obviously, I need reading material before then... I found The Anubis Murders sitting on my shelf. I picked that up like 3 years ago and never got to it... So that's my next read.

Just realized this morn I've got more books coming than I realized... I've got an order from Amazon and an order from Barnes & Noble both set to arrive on Saturday.

The next books I read are going to be from those orders; first will be The Venusian Gambit, and then Lords of the Sith.

I realize others might reverse the order, there, but The Venusian Gambit is the third book of the Daedalus Series, and I've very much enjoyed that series. It's a really interesting set up with two different universes colliding; one is a steampunk alternate Earth (without North and South America) set in the 1770s/1780s, the other is sci-fi and about 100 years or so into the future. And the reason these two universes are colliding is interesting, too.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  17:52:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Conan of the Isles.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  02:39:45  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Knight of the Swords by Moorcock

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  15:19:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting Arabian Nights Volume II. I'm pretending these stories take place in Zakhara.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  02:02:46  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
This is out of subject but i'm really tired and i don't want to search threads right now : A future D&D player/reader is born (hope so lol). My baby boy is born on May 12th around Noon. :)

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  03:45:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

This is out of subject but i'm really tired and i don't want to search threads right now : A future D&D player/reader is born (hope so lol). My baby boy is born on May 12th around Noon. :)

Congrats!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  05:15:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

Congratulations! Being a daddy is a wonderful thing!

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  01:17:25  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
Thanks alot ! less tired but still haha ! no more nights for daddy :P

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2015 :  00:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
I'm reading THE SCARLET GOSPEL by Clive Barker.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2015 :  05:17:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Currently working on a book called The Hercules Text. It's a nice spin on the first contact gig, with the first contact just being a signal.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2015 :  01:19:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Currently working on a book called The Hercules Text. It's a nice spin on the first contact gig, with the first contact just being a signal.

Finished this one last night.

Most first contact stuff that I'm aware of, either we go out into space and meet someone, or someone drops in to meet us. And sometimes, the meeting is "Hi, we want to be friends!" and other times, it's "Hi, we're going to kill/subjugate you!"

The Hercules Text does not go that route. It's just a message, from a million light years away -- so the senders are likely no longer around, and a response to them is out of the question.

The book focuses on the group of scientists and researchers that receive and translate the signal. The signal itself contains the scientific know-how and philosophy of this alien race, and a lot of the book is the reaction to what's in the Text -- social, religious, economical, political, and military. And it's not just the scientists' reaction that we see -- the focus is on that, but we do see some of the impact on the rest of the world.

It only covers the discovery of the signal, happening in the near-future, and a year or two after that: long enough for people to start to come to terms with it, but not long enough to see long-term effects. It's still an interesting read, though.

Next, I've decided to revisit a couple of more light-hearted faves: Good Omens and my four-book omnibus edition of The Hitchhiker's Trilogy. It thankfully omits the fifth book... And since I bought this book in Ireland, it doesn't contain the American edits that were done to the first couple of books, to trim out the profanity. Ironically, though, the edited version of the scene at the party is funnier than the original version.

After that, a trio of new reads. I got Dead Shift recently, The Fold comes out next week, and my friend Besu's second novel, The Clockwork Crown comes out the following week.

I'm really looking forward to that last one. I quite enjoyed the previous one, I'm happy to support my friend, I'm proud of her success (getting a two-book deal for your first novel is pretty good, thinks I!), and I'm amused at the fact that she worked in a reference to an inside joke that maybe a dozen people will recognize. She worked that in because of me, too -- I asked her about it, as a joke, and she decided to run with it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 May 2015 01:19:52
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2015 :  16:53:14  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
I finished Changes by Jim Butcher and what a book!

I then read a bunch of stories from the Dresden Files collection Side Jobs

and started reading The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams. I won the second book in a contest so I wanted to read it and leave a review but first I need to read the first book, which is the only reason I have not moved on to the next book in the Dresden Files series.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2015 :  18:21:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Yeah, that book quite lives up to its name! I was floored when I read it.

I was similarly floored when I read Ghost Story, and found out the details behind what happens to Harry at the very end of Changes (dancing around some spoilers, here, for folks that haven't read that far!).

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  02:15:45  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Yeah, that book quite lives up to its name! I was floored when I read it.

I was similarly floored when I read Ghost Story, and found out the details behind what happens to Harry at the very end of Changes (dancing around some spoilers, here, for folks that haven't read that far!).

Yeah I really wanted to jump right in the Ghost Story but as I say I won a free book last week so I feel like I should read it and leave a review by way of thanks. But then nothing will keep me from Ghost Story :)

I should add that I am really enjoying the Dresden Files.

Edited by - DragonReader on 02 Jun 2015 02:17:23
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  03:27:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Giving the City of Delights boxed set a good re-read. I love Al-Qadim.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  20:08:07  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
Finished reading If Chins Could Kill about a week ago. Started reading Venom In Her Veins by Tim Pratt. It looks really good so far, and I'm very amused by the heroine's name, Zaltys, if only for the fact that it's the same name as a customized Mobile Suit from a Gundam SEED fanfic I had been writing a while back. (And never finished.)

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 02 Jun 2015 20:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  20:20:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Finished reading If Chins Could Kill about a week ago. Started reading Venom In Her Veins by Tim Pratt. It looks really good so far, and I'm very amused by the heroine's name, Zaltys, if only for the fact that it's the same name as a customized Mobile Suit from a Gundam SEED fanfic I had been writing a while back. (And never finished.)

I enjoyed Venom in Her Veins. Fantastic cover art too!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  20:32:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Finished reading If Chins Could Kill about a week ago.

A friend of mine is a huge Bruce Campbell fan, and has an autographed copy of that book. His then-wife had to stand in line at a con for like 3 hours to get it.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  20:51:21  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

I enjoyed Venom in Her Veins. Fantastic cover art too!

I know, right? Honestly, it's probably some of the best cover art I've ever seen.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  21:10:55  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Finished reading If Chins Could Kill about a week ago.

A friend of mine is a huge Bruce Campbell fan, and has an autographed copy of that book. His then-wife had to stand in line at a con for like 3 hours to get it.

Wow, cool! I'd really like to get my copy autographed, but I doubt it'll ever happen. (Unless Bruce Campbell winds up as a guest at Star Fest, which is one of the only cons I can attend with any degree of regularity.)
Although I really shouldn't complain, having autographed copies of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  22:04:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Although I really shouldn't complain, having autographed copies of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy.

Color me jealous!

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  23:24:36  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Color me jealous!

And they were all signed at the same time, too! Funny story about that; last year, when Timothy Zahn was a guest at Star Fest, my sister and mom (who've been going to Star Fest for the last eight years) asked if I wanted to get one of my books autographed. But I couldn't decide which one I really wanted signed, so I gave them all three, and basically said, "Surprise me." Well, when they got there, they were literally the first people in line at the signing. After a bit of an explanation as to what I had told them (as well as why I wasn't there), and because the rest of the line was still forming up, Mr. Zahn agreed to autograph all three.

Even funnier, I apparently brushed past him this year at Star Fest, but didn't realize it cause I was sort of in a daze. (This year was the first year I attended Star Fest, as well as the first year I have ever attended a con. And, to be perfectly honest, I was kind of terrified out of my mind, since I'm not used to being around so many people. )

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 03 Jun 2015 06:09:59
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2015 :  19:26:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald

Just started and finished it.

Mesmerizing. Maybe the best book I've read In a decade.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 05 Jun 2015 19:26:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2015 :  00:38:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald

Just started and finished it.

Mesmerizing. Maybe the best book I've read In a decade.

That's currently sitting deep in my "To-Read" stack. Though I'm thinking I might bump it higher up... I've been hearing a lot of great reviews about this book recently, and it's got me curious.

As for my current read/s... I've got about twenty or so different books going at the moment, but my main core read for each day is a thorough rereading of the "Complete Ben Reilly Saga" of six volume TPBs from Marvel Comics -- collecting the entirety of comic book tales featuring Parker's clone in the Spidey suit after the conclusion of the initial phase of the 90's 'Clone Saga.'

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jun 2015 00:39:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000