Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  09:19:47  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

So I have just started on one of the classic of fantasy ,the first book of the Dreseden files Storm Front. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Elaine Cunningham used to have a blog on the books she was reading... That was how I was turned on to the Dresden Files. I heartily recommend the series!

Yeah its a pretty good book. I have finished around half of it and am quite enjoying it this far.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  15:56:02  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Blood Rites book #6 in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher last night.

Will likely start on on book #7 Dead Beat today.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2014 :  15:04:44  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
I'm reading THE LOST ISLAND by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  08:53:23  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message
Back in 2011 I first started these "What are you Reading?" threads here. It's very nice to see they are still going even if I am a very sporadic visitor to Candlekeep!

And to stay on topic, I'm am reading Thornhold in the Song & Swords series. The only book in this series I hadn't read, the advertisements led me to believe i would dislike how the paladins are treated. I'm very early in it as part of my Audible commuting reread of the Song & Swords series, but I have to say it seems pretty good. Of course, so far I'm just seeing the typical Waterdeep city life from Elaine which she handles so incredibly well. No other novel author comes close to bringing Waterdeep alive like she does - including Ed Greenwood. I hope I am as happy when we finally meet the paladin order.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  09:10:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Minutes ago I finished "The Herald" by Ed Greenwood.

Not sure what book I'll start next, but there's no shortage of titles to choose from.

Happy New Year!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  04:29:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
...and now I've found a book to read: Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by Savid Sedaris. Not sci-fi/fantasy, but it looks interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Areader
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  05:11:31  Show Profile Send Areader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

...and now I've found a book to read: Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by Savid Sedaris. Not sci-fi/fantasy, but it looks interesting.

David Sedaris is always a fun read. If you ever get an opportunity to listen to one of his audiobooks -- where he reads/performs his work -- do yourself a favor and give them a listen. They are hilarious.

Myself, I just finished listening to the audio version of The Thousand Orcs by R. A. Salvatore. The reader needed to differentiate his dwarf voices, but otherwise he did a nice job with it. I should be starting The Lone Drow in the next few weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  00:47:05  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
STONEWIELDER by Ian C Esslemont: Esslemont's improved from Return of the Crimson Guard.

Reading a non-spoiler overview of the latest Pendergast novel, BLUE LABYRINTH. I think I might have to get that one. I'd love to revisit Margo and the museum.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  02:01:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Going back through my old collection of TARGET Doctor Who novelisations... with the final First Doctor serial, "The Tenth Planet."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  14:02:05  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
I've finished two SF books

The Abyss Beyond Dreams: A Novel of the Commonwealth by Peter Hamilton, at first I was disappointed about the return to the Void, but it turned out good.

Mutineer's Moon by David Weber, had an excellent start involving the origins of humans on Earth, mostly boring after that.

and The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Rothfuss, I don't get it, too complicated English

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  10:21:04  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on The Gates of Rome By Conn Iggulen. Its a somewhat historically accurate portrayal of the early life of Julius Caesar.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  13:01:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Partway thru The Two Towers, myself.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  14:16:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Started on The Gates of Rome By Conn Iggulen. Its a somewhat historically accurate portrayal of the early life of Julius Caesar.

I read that toward the end of last year.

Admittedly, Iggulen does note that he has taken certain liberties with the historical elements of Caesar's early childhood.

Still, I enjoyed the tale overall. And despite a few quibbles that I had with the historical portrayals of certain characters, I thought it was a worthwhile introduction to this series ... which I hope to continue reading sometime this year.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2015 :  20:52:16  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
Firefight, sequel to Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. It's similar to X-men or Wild Cards.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2015 :  01:46:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
It should be no surprise that the musician in me like reading about the exploits/creative thoughts offered by some of the industry's greats... like Wynton Marsalis, for example. A noted Jazz composer/performer... he relates some of his creative processes and considerations in the book To a Young Jazz Musician: Letters from the Road.

This is currently in the primary spot on my "Reading Now" stack.

Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2015 :  02:26:53  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message
I'm reading Troy's Denning's Sentinel in the Sundering series. I'm liking it so far but I think the page count is dragging the book down by forcing Troy to do a whole lot of tell rather than show storytelling.

I'm also reading Oliver Potzsch's Dark Monk in his Hangman's Daughter series.
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2015 :  11:57:11  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

While i did the Nanowrimo contest, which i won, i read The Summoning. Now i've started The Siege.

Good for you! That's an impressive accomplishment.

Thank you very much ! before starting i had only a global idea of what i wanted to write. within the Nano new facts came in and i found few layers of interesting way that the story can go :)

I will rework my draft in the next month and work toward the follow up

It is only a 50 000 words count. about half a 300 page novel if i'm right.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution

Edited by - HardKano on 09 Jan 2015 12:00:46
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2015 :  19:01:23  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Over the weekend I finished Dead Beat book #7 in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Great book!

Now reading an ARC of A Blink of the Screen a collection of short stories by Terry Pratchett.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2015 :  20:17:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Over the weekend I finished Dead Beat book #7 in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Great book!

I mentioned previously that that book had one of my favorite parts from any series... I'm sure you now know the part to which I was referring.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  01:33:35  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
Finished The Siege last week, reading The Sorcerer

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  00:28:08  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Now re-reading Perdido Street Station. I love me some weird, and the protagonist being a biologist certainly makes him very relatable.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  13:54:26  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

I mentioned previously that that book had one of my favorite parts from any series... I'm sure you now know the part to which I was referring.

I think I do :)
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  13:55:43  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
I finished A Blink of the Screen by Terry Pratchett

And started This Crooked Way by James Enge
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  17:37:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished The Return of the King yesterday. Started Night Watch, by Sergei Lukyanenko. It's interesting, thus far, and enjoyable.

Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  21:28:38  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
It appears that I've finished a couple books since my last post. Nevertheless, I recently began reading The Gossamer Plain by Thomas M. Reid
I really got into the beginning of the book, but then major plot twists came into effect early, and it became easy to get lost. I can still follow main events - and the book is good so far - but it seems as if Reid keeps you in the dark for a lot of the book, which I'm not a fan of. I like having a full understanding of events when reading. The way this book seems to be going, a lot of aspects regarding the plot are kept vague, and little by little the author reveals to you what's going on. Not my style, but I still enjoy Reid's work.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 23 Jan 2015 21:29:34
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  07:59:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
A friendly heads up that "The Very Best of Charles de Lint" is available for free on Amazon.com, in Kindle format, at about 433 pages of material.

Tip of the hat to Steven Schend for posting this on his Facebook account.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 24 Jan 2015 07:59:57
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  21:01:49  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
Well, I finished The Gossamer Plain by Thomas M. Reid. Some solid stuff, but I don't plan on reading the next installment of the series for awhile. Too many other books on-deck.

I'm now off to begin Night Masks by Salvatore. I very much enjoyed Canticle, but was a little disappointed with In Sylvan Shadows.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 29 Jan 2015 17:35:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  21:37:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished The World of Ice & Fire (aka, The Big Book of Westeros) and Night Watch last night, and I started Day Watch, book 2 of the Night Watch series, this morn. Interestingly, the main character is a minor antagonist from the previous book.

The Big Book of Westeros was my bathroom book... I will use Area 51 as the next one. The book covers the history of that area, not the rumors and conspiracy theories and such. For some reason, I have a really hard time reading any non-fiction, so taking it in short doses like that should be far more doable.

Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  23:02:14  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message
I'm currently reading The Reaver, Richard Lee Byers' entry in the Sundering series.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  07:34:14  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
I have started "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions On Writing And Life" by Anne Lammott. I tell you what: her writing flows so easy; it's effortless to read her, but you feel full after just a few pages.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000