Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  09:07:55  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started reading the Handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood. It is kind of depressing to read about this sort of dystopian society,one can too easily imagine it happening in the real world.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  01:40:09  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

Not sure what to read next
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  02:10:29  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Decided to read The Education of Brother Thaddius and Other Tales by R.A. Salvatore.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  03:59:10  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Am currently reading The Swoop! And Other Stories By P.G. Wodehouse.

Found it at the local library. This is one I'll be on the lookout for thrift stores and estate sales. It's pretty funny.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  20:46:26  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
I have finished The Crippled God...what a series, that Malaz. Absolutely fantastic. Now I'm reading Bauchelain and Korbal Broach: Three Short Novels of the Malazan Empire by Steven Erikson. I can't wait for Erikson's Karsa Orlong trilogy.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul

Edited by - Entromancer on 20 Nov 2014 20:49:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  21:01:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished the Harry Potter books the other day, and I'm currently reading the new Star Wars novel Tarkin. So far, not bad, not great.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2014 :  03:05:53  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished The Education of Brother Thaddius and Other Tales by R.A. Salvatore. It was a nice little collection.

Now reading Death Masks by Jim Butcher
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  02:19:53  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Starting The Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian C Esselmont

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  12:26:14  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

That is one of my favorite books by Ian Esselmont. Filled with epic battles, conspiracies and marauding gods. A quintessential malazan novel.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  13:57:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished Tarkin late last night... Interesting, but not great. It interweaves a partial biography of Grand Moff Tarkin into a pre-Rebellion plot against the Empire.

I am next going to revisit an old favorite, A Hero Born, by Michael Stackpole.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  06:43:11  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

That is one of my favorite books by Ian Esselmont. Filled with epic battles, conspiracies and marauding gods. A quintessential malazan novel.

I'm liking the beginning. Looking forward to seeing more what's going on with Laseen's reign as Empress. I really, really can't wait to get to his latest, Assail, as I really loved the Forkrul Assail race as seen in The Crippled God.

Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  07:28:26  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message
I just finished reading The Last Wish by Sapkowski, and am now reading Sword of Destiny. The plan is to read nothing but Witcher novels until I finish them all. Since I don't get in a lot of reading each day, that will take a while.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  12:46:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm liking the beginning. Looking forward to seeing more what's going on with Laseen's reign as Empress. I really, really can't wait to get to his latest, Assail, as I really loved the Forkrul Assail race as seen in The Crippled God.

Laseen is actually my favorite character form the whole series. Its unfortunate we dont get to see more of her. Sure she made mistakes but ultimately she was trying to do what was for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  23:00:32  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
After far too many RW distractions, I finally finished reading Downshadow, as well as Depths of Madness, by Eric Scott de Bie. I don't know what I'm going to read now, but it's probably going to be another Realms novel.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  02:29:19  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Death Masks by Jim Butcher a few days ago. Another great book in the Dresden Files series.

Now reading Shield and Crocus by Michael R. Underwood. So far I am enjoying. It's a bit different.

Edited by - DragonReader on 03 Dec 2014 02:31:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  12:31:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I finished Tarkin late last night... Interesting, but not great. It interweaves a partial biography of Grand Moff Tarkin into a pre-Rebellion plot against the Empire.

I am next going to revisit an old favorite, A Hero Born, by Michael Stackpole.

After A Hero Born, I read the newest book about Aral Kingslayer, Drawn Blades. Now I'm revising Red Storm Rising. I'm thinking of rereading Year Zero, after that.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  13:41:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Currently reading Ron Chernow's biography of George Washington and rereading his biography of Alexander Hamilton. Just finished Hilary Mandel's recently released collection of literary short fiction, THE ASSASSINATION OF MARGARET THATCHER.

I tried reading DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN, a collection of tales by various authors set in Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire universe (the inspiration for the TV series "True Blood.") Couldn't get into it. Some of the writers are very good, but few of them seemed able to inhabit the characters. Admittedly, it's very tough to get the tone and feel of a setting that has been narrated in a distinctive first-person voice, that of Sookie Stackhouse. And, as is often the case with anthologies, there is a clunker or two. Still, it was an interesting experience, in that it reminded me that writing in a shared world, and doing it well, requires writers to dig deep into their technique toolboxes.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  16:22:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I read the first of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, but it quite thoroughly failed to grab me. I didn't dislike it; I just failed to like it.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2014 :  11:55:26  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
While i did the Nanowrimo contest, which i won, i read The Summoning. Now i've started The Siege.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  16:43:44  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Shield and Crocus by Michael R. Underwood. This one started good. It is a bit different and had a new/interesting concept. A city where populated with a variety of peoples each with their own special power. But the city has been taken over by 5 tyrants who have carved out their own domains within the city. The city's goddess has been enslaved and her power is bing used to keep the residents in line. Against this backdrop a small group of freedom fighters struggle to free the city and its goddess. Unfortunately after a good strat this one seemed to drag and the actions of the main characters often made no sense or were contradictory to their earlier actions. There were also a few plot devices that cropped up to save the day. Overall it wasn't a bad novel and I would read further stories set in this world, but at the same time I was a little disappointed.

Next up for me Blood Rites, book #6 of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  21:16:27  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
How am I supposed to feel about Tavore's endgame in Dust of Dreams/The Crippled God?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  14:04:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

While i did the Nanowrimo contest, which i won, i read The Summoning. Now i've started The Siege.

Good for you! That's an impressive accomplishment.
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  16:37:07  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
Elaine:

Just about to dive into Songs & Swords #1 (Elfshadow) and am looking forward to the journey through the series.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  06:05:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
After Red Storm Rising, I read a Tom Holt book called The Outsorcerer's Apprentice. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great -- I've really enjoyed a couple of his books, but most are just kinda meh.

I'm re-reading The Hobbit right now. Additionally, I'm reading another Iron Kingdoms/Warmachine ebook, on my tablet, about the Butcher, and the big book about Westeros, The World of Ice and Fire. I'm concentrating on the printed novel, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  10:26:24  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
So I have just started on one of the classic of fantasy ,the first book of the Dreseden files Storm Front. I hope it lives up to the hype.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  11:28:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

So I have just started on one of the classic of fantasy ,the first book of the Dreseden files Storm Front. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Elaine Cunningham used to have a blog on the books she was reading... That was how I was turned on to the Dresden Files. I heartily recommend the series!

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  14:34:04  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:

I am working my way through that series now and loving it. I am currently reading book #6, Blood Rites.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  15:24:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

quote:

I am working my way through that series now and loving it. I am currently reading book #6, Blood Rites.

Almost to book 7, which has one of my favorite parts from any book series. I shan't say more, so as not to spoil it -- but you'll know the part when you get to it.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  18:25:07  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

quote:

Almost to book 7, which has one of my favorite parts from any book series. I shan't say more, so as not to spoil it -- but you'll know the part when you get to it.

OK I was wondering if I should take a break after book #6 and read something else before book #7. I guess not :)

Edited by - DragonReader on 30 Dec 2014 01:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  00:35:30  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
After taking a brief break from Realms novels (mostly to go through my increasingly large pile of comics), I started reading Red Magic by Jean Rabe.

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 25 Dec 2014 00:36:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000