Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  05:07:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Just finished The Sentinel... At this point, I'm wanting a T-shirt that says "I survived The Sundering!" It depresses me that the first new Realms novels I've read in several years have been so lacking.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  17:32:06  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message
Just finished Undead (The Haunted Lands: book II, by Richard Lee Byers).Really appreciated the subplots, and writing style. Canīt wait to start Unholy!

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2014 :  18:04:03  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message
Greetings everyone.

Just for the grins of the family, today, I pulled a much beloved copy of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" off of my bookshelf. With Halloween approaching next month, I thought it would be fun to read it a couple times over my lunch break and then read it aloud to the family as we get closer to Halloween. After all, one must practice the correct voice inflections in order to lend the proper feeling of spookiness and dread when reading by candlelight in a darkened and decorated room.

Otherwise, whenever I find myself in a lull of FR novels, I keep a pile of paperbacks of old stand-by reading from other areas, Star Wars, Battletech, Dragonlance, etc. But more than likely, I will go to my bookshelf and pull down one of my classic literary works. This time though, I opted for a biography on Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton. Next on my list is a recent acquisition of two volumes of memoirs by General William Tecumseh Sherman.

All this while working my way through the Drizzt novels, yet again and currently on The Pirate King, as my wife has discovered a love for the Realms after reading one of my old Realms paperbacks. One day, she came into the office, made the statement that she never realized the writing was so good in the Realms novels, pulled the first book of the Legend of Drizzt off the shelf and asked that I start reading them to her. It's great bonding time and of course I agreed. Until that moment, she always viewed my penchant for "gamer literature" with a patient tolerance and a look that conveyed the unspoken wondering of when I would finally choose to grow up. Given my penchant for literature in general and the astounding number of classics in fine bindings upon my shelves, one could make an excellent argument relating to the accuracy of that unspoken thought. Fortunately, it's now "game on" and she is an avid Realms-junkie.

On Wooly's recommendation, I've added "The Clockwork Dagger" to my list of books to peruse next trip through the book store.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  13:55:17  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started reading Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon, while I have read a few of her fantasy novels this will be the first time I am reading a sci fi book written by her.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  16:14:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Just finished The Sentinel... At this point, I'm wanting a T-shirt that says "I survived The Sundering!" It depresses me that the first new Realms novels I've read in several years have been so lacking.

Well I really want to read it, but since the Kindcle verison is still over $ 15, that's not happening

thanks for your thoughts on it

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  16:16:41  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Well I really want to read it, but since the Kindcle verison is still over $ 15, that's not happening

Thinking about re-reading all of Elaine's realms work,
but the thought of that leaves me feeling like Samwise realizing the Elves are leaving middle-earth never to return. Sad because I feel we will never see the likes of again in the realms

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  17:27:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

A lot of folks have enjoyed the Sundering books.

My taste is far from universal; I haven't cared for a lot of Realms novels that others quite enjoyed, like the Sembia books, the WotSQ, the Erevis Cale books... It's part of why I heartily encourage people to try the books out for themselves.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  20:08:46  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Grave Peril the 3rd book in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Great book!

Now reading The Bible Repairman and Other Stories by Tim Powers

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  00:43:59  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
Took a break from reading for a while, but I'm going to start reading Downshadow by Eric Scott de Bie later tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  20:31:28  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message
Finally reading Rise of the King.

Also read the first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicles while I was waiting, a great read and another torturing wait for the last book of the trilogy to be released
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  21:42:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I read a book called Discount Armageddon, which had a lot of individual elements I like: urban fantasy; humor; people who know that despite what everyone else thinks, there really are things that go bump in the night... And yet, while the story was good enough to keep me reading, it wasn't all that noteworthy, otherwise.

Now I'm reading Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon, the sequel to the steampunk book Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl.

No idea what I'm going to read next. Maybe I'll finish reading the Sundering books, or maybe I'll put that off just a bit longer...

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  14:02:09  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished The Bible Repairman and Other Stories by Tim Powers. Good book. A few of the stories were just OK, but the last one in particular was excellent.

Now back to the Dresden Files with Summer Knight by Jim Butcher
Go to Top of Page

Swoff
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  20:30:18  Show Profile Send Swoff a Private Message
Just finished up Elminster: The Making of a Mage.
It's nice to finally know more about such an iconic realms character.

My copy of Rise of the King arrived yesterday, so I started that today.
Also listening to Brimstone Angels when I need something to listen to.
I wasn't sure if I would like FR on audiobook, but so far, I've really enjoyed Erin's book in this format..
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  16:56:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon. Like the first book, a nice blend of steampunk, a bit of alternate history (the American Revolution failed, and the make-up of powers in North America is different, including Japanese control of San Francisco), and some pulp-type adventure thrown in.

Now I'm reading 14, by the same guy that wrote the Ex-Heroes books, the zombie/superhero mashup that I quite enjoyed.

14 is focused on this guy with a lousy job, moving into an odd apartment building. I'm a little over a hundred pages in, and the mysteries of the building that have so far been discovered by the main guy and the other people in the building:

The building is not on the main power grid; it is unclear where the electricity comes from;
There are double-doors in the basement that are boarded, chained, and have multiple padlocks;
There is an empty apartment that is never shown to prospective tenants;
There is an apartment that has multiple padlocks on the door, which obviously is never opened;
All of the apartments have different floorplans; none are the same and one is even two-story;
There is a structure on the roof that is supposedly for machinery for the elevator; it is much bigger than it should be for a building that size;
The main guy has a light fixture that no matter what kind of bulb is put in it, it only provides black light;
There is one apartment that no one stays in past their six-month lease; many move out before then;
All of the tenants sleep quite well, but none have dreams;
The building is a national historic landmark, but even the Department of the Interior (the guys who are in charge of things like that) has no information whatsoever on why it's on the list;
There are mutant cockroaches in the place. They are green, have seven legs, don't appear to eat anything, and shrivel up and die immediately if taken more than 30 feet from the building.

So this one is shaping up to be an interesting read.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  09:43:51  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Hmm I keep an eye out for the Gideon smith one. Its sounds interesting. thanks Wooly!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  10:54:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Hmm I keep an eye out for the Gideon smith one. Its sounds interesting. thanks Wooly!

The first book was Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  14:16:55  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Thanks ,I have already added it to my to read list on Goodreads.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  14:21:02  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Currently reading The Warded Man by Peter Brett. This book was lying around my house for a long time, so I decided to finally read it. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Its an old fashioned fantasy saga, brooding hero , lovable sidekick etc etc. Still its well written and and really engages your interest after the fist few chapters.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  17:54:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Still working on 14. The inhabitants of the building are continuing to find mysteries about it, and some of them are downright creepy, bordering on sinister...

Without giving away spoilers, one of the non-creepy ones was the discovery of a wall, in one apartment, that is practically ice-cold to the touch. There is no apparent source for the coldness, and it's only the one wall -- the rest of the apartment feels normal.

The apartment manager seems to be in on whatever the weirdness is. He certainly won't provide any information about who actually owns the place...

I'm also a little curious as to whether or not one of the tenants is a plant, to keep an eye on the others.

Lot of weirdness in this building. I'm quite interested in seeing how it plays out.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  06:09:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished 14 today. Easily one of the best books I've read this year! There were some fun twists and turns, and the story went in in a direction I wasn't expecting... Sadly, I can't say too much specific, because it would be a massive spoiler.

I do quite recommend the book, though.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  06:14:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
Sounds hella interesting, Wooly. I may hafta look that one up. Is everything explained in the end? Otherwise I might leave feeling a little peeved.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 10 Oct 2014 06:15:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  12:37:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Sounds hella interesting, Wooly. I may hafta look that one up. Is everything explained in the end? Otherwise I might leave feeling a little peeved.

Indeed. It's quite the ride getting there.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2014 :  03:12:21  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finihsed Summer Knight by Jim Butcher. Great book!

Now reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2014 :  04:16:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
After finishing 14 (which I heartily recommend, BTW!), I decided it was time for my annual re-read of Harry Potter. I just didn't feel like cracking into any of the new stuff I've bought recently, and I've been thinking of those books, of late...

Partway thru book 2, right now.

Lurue only knows what I'll read once I'm done with those.

I also started the ebook Murder in Corvis. I've not gotten far with that one; usually when I've the time to read, I read for a physical book, first, and not my tablet.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  13:38:39  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on the Desert Spear by Peter Brett. Really enjoying this series so far.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  11:46:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
Has anybody read the Dwarves series by Markus Heitz?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  09:43:51  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Unfortunately I have not read it yet, but its on my wishlist.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  14:58:36  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
The Dark Defiles by Richard K Morgan

I think Eberron fans would enjoy this one's setting. It is a smooth blend of sword and sorcery and science fiction. Think Michael Moorcock meets Joe Abercrombie.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  16:35:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Still going thru the Harry Potter books, myself; I'm up to book 5. But I had to put it down for a couple of days...

There are some Harry Dresden shorts I'd not gotten to read yet... "B Is for Bigfoot," "I Was a Teenage Bigfoot," and "Bigfoot on Campus". And the other day, I discovered they'd been collected into a single eBook, and that this ebook is a part of this:

https://storybundle.com/fantasy

So I've now read two of those shorts and I'm working on the third, and then I'll get back to Hogwarts.

And I've gotta say, the motivation of the antagonist in "I Was a Teenage Bigfoot" was perhaps the most unique motivation for evil I'd ever seen.

(Oddly, in the eBook, the short stories are not in chronological order... But we do find out more about River Shoulders, who was mentioned in Skin Game)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Oct 2014 16:36:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2014 :  22:17:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
So I'm still working my way thru the Harry Potter books; I'm up to book 6.

I had some time to read the other day, but no physical books handy, so I read some ebooks: Murder in Corvis, Onslaught, and started another Iron Kingdoms ebook, Into the Darkness. (I generally only read ebooks when dead tree format books are not handy)

I recently acquired a complete set of the Brotherhood of the Griffon books (which means I've now got two copies of Spectral Blaze, though both are used and one is rather beat up), so I'm going to put them in the queue to read soon, along with finally finishing the Sundering books. I need to mix some non-FR stuff into there; I just got the newest Star Wars book, so that may go in there, and I've been thinking of Red Storm Rising, of late, so I may toss it into the pile, as well.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Nov 2014 22:19:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000