Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  22:26:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished Once Dead during my lunch break... Rather than go back to the Sundering books, I'm going to go back thru the Rho Agenda trilogy. I enjoyed those books, and Once Dead is a sort of prequel to them -- similar to how Without Remorse is a sort of prequel for the Jack Ryan books.

I may continue the break after that; William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return is still in my to-read pile, and my friend Beth's (debut!) steampunk novel The Clockwork Dagger drops very soon, too. (I think the fact that she's already contracted for a sequel, before the first book even drops, is a very good sign)

Part of my lack of enthusiasm about the Sundering books is that save for The Reaver, I've not found them to be all that noteworthy, and because the next book is by Troy Denning. I've liked some of his books, but I've also strongly disliked some of them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Aug 2014 22:26:57
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  06:22:37  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message
Currently Reading Thieves' World Enemies of Fortune

I going to try to get the Sundering books, one a paycheck, and read through them next. Well, the ones out in paperback anyway.

edit: And I'm reading the 5E Player's Handbook too!

Edited by - hobbitfan on 28 Aug 2014 06:32:10
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  19:00:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I finished Once Dead during my lunch break... Rather than go back to the Sundering books, I'm going to go back thru the Rho Agenda trilogy. I enjoyed those books, and Once Dead is a sort of prequel to them -- similar to how Without Remorse is a sort of prequel for the Jack Ryan books.

I may continue the break after that; William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return is still in my to-read pile, and my friend Beth's (debut!) steampunk novel The Clockwork Dagger drops very soon, too. (I think the fact that she's already contracted for a sequel, before the first book even drops, is a very good sign)

Part of my lack of enthusiasm about the Sundering books is that save for The Reaver, I've not found them to be all that noteworthy, and because the next book is by Troy Denning. I've liked some of his books, but I've also strongly disliked some of them.

Now I don't like Steampunk(no offense to those that do!) at all......but if it is a friend of yours, I'll probably buy it just to support her and gift it.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  20:25:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Now I don't like Steampunk(no offense to those that do!) at all......but if it is a friend of yours, I'll probably buy it just to support her and gift it.

Neither she nor I would complain about that.

But if you read it, you might wind up liking it, even if you're not normally into that genre. Me, I don't care for the zombie thing -- but I liked the zombie/superhero mashup in the book Ex-Heroes and its sequels. I am similarly not a fan of the Bard, but I found William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope to be a lot of fun.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  21:03:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed of the Greenwood got a peek at some prose from THE CLOCKWORK DAGGER, and immediately put in an order for it at his local indie bookstore, so I'd say he liked what he saw.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  22:12:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed of the Greenwood got a peek at some prose from THE CLOCKWORK DAGGER, and immediately put in an order for it at his local indie bookstore, so I'd say he liked what he saw.
love,
THO

Beth isn't the Realms junkie that I am, but I know she's read and enjoyed some Realms books. I will make sure to share that with her, my lady.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  00:23:59  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Will look for that kind of novel after i'm finish reading the Realms ones ! ho gosh, still 150 to go ! (only 77reads ) Thanks the share, my lady.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  04:52:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

I shared this with Besu-chan... Her reaction: "0_____0 Holy crap. That blows my mind. THANK YOU! I now need to go call my brother ASAP to tell him this! Wow. This makes my night."

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  13:07:26  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on a new manga series called Barakamon. A nice mellow story about a city slicker who moves to the countryside and encounters a bunch of cheerful locals. If you like Yotusbato! then you will probably like this.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  16:40:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Started on a new manga series called Barakamon. A nice mellow story about a city slicker who moves to the countryside and encounters a bunch of cheerful locals. If you like Yotusbato! then you will probably like this.

Is it the same kind of humor as the Yotsubato&! manga? I enjoy that title, and Kiyohiko Azuma's earlier one, Azumanga Daioh.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  03:34:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'm a little diverse and multitudinal with my reading at the moment...

Primarily, I'm currently reading the Dark Times comic book series published by Dark Horse for STAR WARS. Supplementarily, along with that, I'm working through The ABC of Reading, and an e-read via Monoskop... And the Bridge is Love, which is a memoir, somewhat, of the wife of one of my favourite composers, Gustav Mahler.

Also catching up on other comic books currently being published, like Batman, The Amazing Spider-Man, and the current Marvel "summer-story-blockbuster," Original Sin.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  13:57:46  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Is it the same kind of humor as the Yotsubato&! manga? I enjoy that title, and Kiyohiko Azuma's earlier one, Azumanga Daioh.

It is similar in many ways for example the two main characters are the above mentioned city slicker and a sprightly little girl. Sounds a bit familiar . However the POV is that of the city slicker so its a bit more serious but overall yeah the humor is quite similar and its just as uplifting, I read it during times of stress like exams and it really helps calm you down.
Azumanga Daioh was also pretty hilarious but that title was focused mostly on comedy. Still I really enjoyed it, especially those bizarre dream sequences with that weird cat thing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  15:25:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm a little diverse and multitudinal with my reading at the moment...

Primarily, I'm currently reading the Dark Times comic book series published by Dark Horse for STAR WARS. Supplementarily, along with that, I'm working through The ABC of Reading, and an e-read via Monoskop... And the Bridge is Love, which is a memoir, somewhat, of the wife of one of my favourite composers, Gustav Mahler.

Also catching up on other comic books currently being published, like Batman, The Amazing Spider-Man, and the current Marvel "summer-story-blockbuster," Original Sin.

I generally have multiple things I'm reading at the same time, too, though my primary reading efforts are focused on a single book of fiction.

So right now, I'm primarily reading The Second Ship. But I'm also reading a BattleTech ebook, the Numeria book for Pathfinder, a network-related book, and I'm re-reading, for the first time in years, the manga Marmalade Boy.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  02:39:02  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Still reading Dust of Dreams. I just realized how Taxilian and his group connect to that green-skinned wanderer...brilliant play on Erikson's part. Granted, I had to jump back a couple of books to check myself.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  03:41:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I generally have multiple things I'm reading at the same time, too, though my primary reading efforts are focused on a single book of fiction.
Yeah. I can't ever seem to limit myself to just one reading source at a time. There's simply too many unread books in my stacks!
quote:
But I'm also reading a BattleTech ebook, ...
Oooo! Which one?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  05:24:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Yeah. I can't ever seem to limit myself to just one reading source at a time. There's simply too many unread books in my stacks!
quote:
But I'm also reading a BattleTech ebook, ...
Oooo! Which one?

Onslaught - Tales from the Clan Invasion. It is, thus far, underwhelming.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  03:18:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Not familiar with that release.

In fact, I wasn't even aware a Clan Invasion anthology [I'm assuming it's an anthology, given the title] was a product for release as an ebook.

I'll need to look into it.

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  03:50:20  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
I'm reading Elaine Cunningham's Silver Shadows again. Ferret is one of my favourite characters; I hope we see her again in future FR novels.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  04:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message
I'm currently halfway through book one of The Last Mythal series. I'm enjoying it, but it's not in my Realms favorites yet. Trying to decide whether to go on to the next book after this, or pickup another Elaine Cunningham novel.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  11:27:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

I'm reading Elaine Cunningham's Silver Shadows again. Ferret is one of my favourite characters; I hope we see her again in future FR novels.

Ferret makes a brief, unnamed (well, mostly unnamed....) cameo in the excerpt posted in the "Birthday Gift" thread. And she's up to her old tricks, as one might expect. In the Wealdath and surrounding countries, she's basically the go-to elf when someone needs killing.

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  11:55:39  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Ferret makes a brief, unnamed (well, mostly unnamed....) cameo in the excerpt posted in the "Birthday Gift" thread.

I thought as much! She seemed familiar......

If you decide to include her in future stories, I'll be very happy!
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  01:36:23  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished The Island by Tim Lebbon. Great book!

Then I read The Anderson Project a short collection of SciFi stories available for free on Tor.com
Then I read Ghoul Goblin a Dresden Files graphic novel

Now I am reading Grave Peril by Jim Butcher.

Edited by - DragonReader on 16 Sep 2014 01:37:58
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  04:51:17  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Moving on into The Crippled God. I don't want this series to end. Good thing I have Mr Esselmont's Malazan Empire waiting in the wings.

Hey, is The Island from the same setting as his Dusk and Dawn novels? I really enjoyed those.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  04:55:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished A New Dawn earlier, today... This leaves me in an awkward spot. My friend Beth's book comes out tomorrow (The Clockwork Dagger, to plug it again), and I'll be running to the bookstore to buy it during my lunchbreak. But that leaves me with nothing to read betwixt now and then, and I don't want to start something new!

I guess I'll continue with whatever ebook I'm currently doing.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  16:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
I'm reading SLEEPING LATE ON JUDGMENT DAY by Tad Williams.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  01:36:52  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Hey, is The Island from the same setting as his Dusk and Dawn novels? I really enjoyed those.

Yep, it is set in Noreela. There was also two other books in the setting (other than Dusk and Dawn): After the War (a collection of two novellas) and Fallen.

Other than Dusk and Dawn all the books are stand-alone.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  03:52:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I finished A New Dawn earlier, today... This leaves me in an awkward spot. My friend Beth's book comes out tomorrow (The Clockwork Dagger, to plug it again), and I'll be running to the bookstore to buy it during my lunchbreak. But that leaves me with nothing to read betwixt now and then, and I don't want to start something new!
That's always a confusing state to find yourself in -- so eager to start something new, but yet wanting desperately to wait so you can finish whatever track of books you're currently waiting to be released.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  09:29:46  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
I just started reading Star wars crucible, one of the books that is no longer considered canon. I though i was ok with that but it was great a great universe with so much history and depth, i got very upset with Disney for got throwing it all into the dustbin.
The movies that better be the greatest things ever made in order to make up for this.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  23:20:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Thus far, I am finding The Clockwork Dagger to be quite enjoyable -- and that assessment has nothing to do with the fact that the author is a friend.

I'm already more than halfway thru the book, and I am very eager to finish it. If it wasn't for the whole work thing, I would have been up far longer than I was last night, reading this book -- and as it was, I was up longer than I should have been, because I was reading.

I am also eager to read the sequel, and that's still a year out!

(Additionally, she has worked in a reference to an old inside joke, in the sequel. Only about a dozen people or so will catch it, but that's fine with me. )

Besu does some interesting world-building with this one; it's kind of a steampunk-fantasy mashup. Primarily steampunk, with some fantasy elements, like the way the main character heals people, or the fact that gremlins are an artificially created race. It's also different in that the main character is a healer-type.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Sep 2014 23:21:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  16:03:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm reading The Sentinel right now... And not only is it not grabbing me, it's one of those I want to finish as quickly as possible, just to be done with it and able to move on to something else.

I really dislike Joelle's character. A self-centered, manipulative person seems a very bad choice to represent a deity of love. It doesn't seem like she cares about anyone, and instead is just using everyone around her to accomplish her goal.

...And Malik. I've liked Malik in earlier books, but I thought he was overused by the time we got to the RotA trilogy -- it's well past time to retire him. Seeing him pop up, yet again, more than a hundred years later, really bothers me and is quite tiresome. And he doesn't seem quite the same -- it's clearly stated that he is the same character, but he doesn't act the way I remember Malik acting. He feels like a different character, with the same name and backstory.

The way the caravan kept casually shrugging off the attacks of a small orc horde seemed unbelievable, too -- just too simple.

So I will be glad to get this book done... Not sure what I'm going to read next. While The Herald is the obvious choice, the fact that I have, thus far, only enjoyed one of the Sundering novels makes me less than enthusiastic about reading another.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000