Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  13:49:03  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Storm Front, by Jim Butcher

Now that series is a fun ride! I was turned onto it, myself, by Elaine Cunningham's short-lived book blog. The most recent book, I rushed to the bookstore to buy the hardcover on my lunchbreak! As far as non-gaming material is concerned, I've only done that on a handful of occasions.

I bought the first 7 books when they were $1.99 each for the Kindle Daily Deal a month or so ago. I had previously read a short story and the Welcome to the Jungle graphic novel and had been wanting to try out the series. First book was quite good. Will read the second soon.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  13:50:20  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

The High Druid's Blade, by Terry Brooks
Oooo! That's another in my unread stacks. Got to return to Brooks' books at some point.

This one is nice because it is a stand-alone. I guess ome of the characters will carry over to the next book, but this story had a beginning, middle, and end.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  20:14:03  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

About a third of the way through Deadhouse Gates (the second book in Steven Erikson's Malazn series)... epic!

I read the first one years ago, and have yet to pick up the next few even though I own them. Would you say they get better as the series progresses, or do they stay consistent (which is still good, just a heavy read in many senses)?

Erikson refers to the first book as a litmus test for his readers, intended to determine who will stay the course and those who would lose interest as the series progresses. I appreciate the honesty in his decision to take this approach with the first book. That said, I found them to be excellent reading throughout, though not escapism in any sense of the word. They are about as close to "literary" fantasy as you can get. So Heavy Read is an excellent way to describe them! I remember it taking me 2 shots to get through the first book. I quickly realized that you can't really skim anything in that book.

I would encourage you to pick up Midnight Tides before you quit the series. It works well as an entry point into the Malazan series and has some really hilarious satirical elements throughout.

I am reading book eight, Toll the Hounds. My verdict thus far: emotionally draining, even with the graveyard humor.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  23:03:08  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
Finished reading The God Catcher last night. Not quite sure what I'm going to start reading now, though.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  03:05:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Finished with Elaine's Winter Witch.

All in all, a very enjoyable read, and full of Elaine's trademark fascination and passion for solid creative lore and wholesome characters.

I'm back to tackling my stacks of unread comic books -- this time around, DC's New 52 Stormwatch book. I'm about twenty issues behind on that one, and since it's just recently finished publication, I think it's time for a catch-up.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  04:30:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Finished with Elaine's Winter Witch.

All in all, a very enjoyable read, and full of Elaine's trademark fascination and passion for solid creative lore and wholesome characters.

I'm back to tackling my stacks of unread comic books -- this time around, DC's New 52 Stormwatch book. I'm about twenty issues behind on that one, and since it's just recently finished publication, I think it's time for a catch-up.

I was a fan of the original Stormwatch, but when I read the first issue of the New 52 version, it just didn't grab me. And that really disappointed me, because Jack Hawksmoor is one of my fave comic book characters.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  06:38:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Regrettably, Hawksmoor has received little in the way of overall character development in this New 52 interpretation. He's a favourite of mine as well, and so far, really, the only cool aspect of his "talking to cities" power I've seen expressed so far, was when he spoke to the ancient Greek and Roman spirits of Paris in order to seek information about a threat to the city.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  09:43:47  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

About a third of the way through Deadhouse Gates (the second book in Steven Erikson's Malazn series)... epic!

I read the first one years ago, and have yet to pick up the next few even though I own them. Would you say they get better as the series progresses, or do they stay consistent (which is still good, just a heavy read in many senses)?

Eriksons books are all pretty heavy reads but they are still among my favorites. I would suggest you try out Deadhouse gates at least, like 9thchapter said it is epic and my favorite book of the entire series.
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  15:46:03  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
Decided that I would read The Cleric Quintet all together. Well at least the first two books, as I am holding off on Gauntlgrym and continuing on with In Sylvan Shadows.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 17 Aug 2014 15:47:04
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  18:15:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
quote:

I'm reading The Godborn right now. I'm hoping that having skipped the prior trilogy won't impact my reading of this book.

You've not yet read the Twilight War, Wooly? You are doing yourself a great diservice

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  22:59:47  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished reading A Medicine for Melancoly by Ray Bradbury.

Now reading Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:32:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:

I'm reading The Godborn right now. I'm hoping that having skipped the prior trilogy won't impact my reading of this book.

You've not yet read the Twilight War, Wooly? You are doing yourself a great diservice

I am not so sure of that. I've now read 6 of Paul S Kemp's Realms novels -- Godborn, the WotSQ book he did, the Sembia book he did, and the Erevis Cale trilogy. His books just don't work for me.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  02:58:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Regrettably, Hawksmoor has received little in the way of overall character development in this New 52 interpretation. He's a favourite of mine as well, and so far, really, the only cool aspect of his "talking to cities" power I've seen expressed so far, was when he spoke to the ancient Greek and Roman spirits of Paris in order to seek information about a threat to the city.

And it's only worsened... as it seems the entire cast of characters for this rendition of Stormwatch, have been wiped clean from the New 52 multiverse mid-way through the publication of the book, and in their place, a new team, peopled by some old Stormwatch members, now stand in their stead. And all with slightly different histories and origins.

Unfortunately, Hawksmoor has now disappeared completely. So not only has he gone from being a main member at the beginning of the book, but he was slowly pushed to the side, received little page-time while he was part of the team, and ended up being erased from the membership as a result of a new writer coming on board.

Such a shame. I'm growing disappointed with the direction this title is/was taking.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  05:14:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

And it's only worsened... as it seems the entire cast of characters for this rendition of Stormwatch, have been wiped clean from the New 52 multiverse mid-way through the publication of the book, and in their place, a new team, peopled by some old Stormwatch members, now stand in their stead. And all with slightly different histories and origins.

Unfortunately, Hawksmoor has now disappeared completely. So not only has he gone from being a main member at the beginning of the book, but he was slowly pushed to the side, received little page-time while he was part of the team, and ended up being erased from the membership as a result of a new writer coming on board.

Such a shame. I'm growing disappointed with the direction this title is/was taking.

That does draw a lot of vacuum... Stormwatch was such an awesome title, back in the day.

At least until Warren Ellis left, and then it veered into some weird territory and lame storylines, pretty quick. I still shudder to think of the one where they had to evacuate the entire planet, and somehow managed to do so in a matter of days. There were so many things wrong with that idea...

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  12:00:02  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
Just finished Song of the Saurials. finder's stone trilogy was really enjoyable !

Now i'll read 2 books about storytelling (1 in my primary language and the other one is Writing the 21st century ficton) to be well prepared for my second draft within the nanowrimo contest of November.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  20:13:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Just finished The Adversary and started The Reaver.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  00:37:15  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:

Just finished The Adversary and started The Reaver.

Will probably start The Sundering series by the next year :P i'm too eager to read all 6 novels autographed in my bookshelf (presently missing only RAS one, but will get it before autumn) :D

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  03:30:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Almost done with my reading of Stormwatch.

Not sure what to tackle next, though. Wooly's reading of "The Sundering" series has inclined me toward my own finishing up of the few books remaining that I have to read for it. But, then, my stacks of "To-Read" comic books are also starting to sit lop-sided, ultimately swaying slightly to the right... probably because they're becoming too top heavy with plenty of issues sitting unread.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  18:13:59  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

Not sure what to tackle next, though. Wooly's reading of "The Sundering" series has inclined me toward my own finishing up of the few books remaining that I have to read for it. But, then, my stacks of "To-Read" comic books are also starting to sit lop-sided, ultimately swaying slightly to the right... probably because they're becoming too top heavy with plenty of issues sitting unread.

I've been reading a lot of graphic novels over the summer, both superhero and other titles. Just read Thompson's Blankets which is on many lists as one of the best graphic novels ever. I did like it. I would not put it at the top spot though. Others I have read recently include Attack on Titan, The Color of Water, The Color of Earth, Maus, Persepolis, and whole lot of others. Comics are just too expensive to collect these days. I miss so much, though, when I have to get the superhero graphic novels from the library.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  13:56:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I've been reading a lot of graphic novels over the summer, both superhero and other titles. Just read Thompson's Blankets which is on many lists as one of the best graphic novels ever. I did like it. I would not put it at the top spot though. Others I have read recently include Attack on Titan, The Color of Water, The Color of Earth, Maus, Persepolis, and whole lot of others. Comics are just too expensive to collect these days. I miss so much, though, when I have to get the superhero graphic novels from the library.

Comics have become a bit to pricey nowadays. I haven't bought a graphic novel for a while , I just borrow them or read it online. Sadly this has lead to me being a bit behind the curve.
I have managed to keep up on my manga though. Speaking of which I hope you liked attack on titan. Its one of the better manga that have come out recently.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  14:49:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
im reading Elaine's chapters....Again!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  17:04:13  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

Comics have become a bit to pricey nowadays. I haven't bought a graphic novel for a while , I just borrow them or read it online. Sadly this has lead to me being a bit behind the curve.
I have managed to keep up on my manga though. Speaking of which I hope you liked attack on titan. Its one of the better manga that have come out recently.
[/quote]

I have to admit that I was a manga virgin prior to this read. I like the concept, but I found the story hard to follow in parts. Reading opposite of my "normal" was not an issue, just the style of storytelling I think. Just as an add, I did grow up watching the occasional anime show and more than a few movies so there is some exposure there. I watched the first episode of the Titan series and enjoyed it more than the book, so I would probably continue with that if/when I do continue.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  17:13:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Quite enjoying The Reaver. Thus far, it's the first of the Sundering books that I have enjoyed from the start.

I'm likely to take a break before completing this series. I've got an Amazon order en route with a book I've been looking forward to, and it's going to be next to read as soon as it arrives.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  19:02:00  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Starting Dust of Dreams. The K'Chain Che'Malle are fast becoming my favorite fantasy race.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  20:35:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Quite enjoying The Reaver. Thus far, it's the first of the Sundering books that I have enjoyed from the start.

I'm likely to take a break before completing this series. I've got an Amazon order en route with a book I've been looking forward to, and it's going to be next to read as soon as it arrives.

So The Reaver has proven to be one of the best books I've read in a while. It was quite enjoyable, from start to finish.

It appears my Amazon order came in today -- I can't confirm, because I'm working the odd Saturday shift. One of the books in there, Once Dead, is going to be my next read. Then I'll resume with the Sundering books.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  10:02:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Just started on the novel I, Mengsky.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  17:27:12  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
In the last 2 months, I've finally read The Adversary, Skin Game (latest Dresden novel), The Herald, 2 books on finances, housing, hedge funds, and will begin to embark on the road of Thomas Covenant with Lord Foul's Bane. Oh, I guess you can say that I just read the 5th Edition PH too. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Akantor
Acolyte

France
24 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  22:52:18  Show Profile  Visit Akantor's Homepage Send Akantor a Private Message
The companions. (R.A. Salvator)

English is not my primary language so forgive me for any mistake, I do my best (and spend skill point at my next level)
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  02:33:03  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files #2)

Now reading Next of Kin a John Cleaver novella by Dan Wells
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  20:59:08  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished reading Next of Kin by Dan Wells

now reading The Island by Tim Lebbon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000