Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2014 :  04:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
I read STEAMPUNKED by Joe R. Lansdale and THE BIBLE REPAIRMAN by Tim Powers. Currently reading JOHANNES CABAL: THE NECROMANCER by Jonathan L. Howard.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2014 :  11:46:06  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message
The herald. Just got it.

Not sure what to expect yet
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2014 :  12:55:47  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Just started on Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scoot Lynch. Book two of the Locke Lamora series. I had heard that the series goes downhill after the first book but so far I just dont get that feeling form this novel. Its not as engrossing as the first one admittedly but is still quite an enjoyable book.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2014 :  17:27:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm up to Turn Coat, in my re-reading of the Dresden Files.

I may take another break from the series, soon. I really like the books, but I get bored with too much of the same thing, at one time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2014 :  00:18:19  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Just started on Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scoot Lynch. Book two of the Locke Lamora series. I had heard that the series goes downhill after the first book but so far I just dont get that feeling form this novel. Its not as engrossing as the first one admittedly but is still quite an enjoyable book.

I loved that book as well. Book 3 is where it gets weird.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2014 :  17:29:02  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
The first part of book 2 I've found very enjoyable. Book 3 was mostly boring, don't know what's the point of the play. There were some funny dialogues tough.

Now reading Night of the Hunter.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2014 :  22:11:31  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Fall of Kings, the conclusion of David Gemmell's Troy series. I'd recommend this series to anyone who is familiar with the story of Troy but wants to see it retold with a unique twist.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  23:00:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2014 :  09:49:25  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Just finished The Honor of the Queen by David weber. Its is a well written, good old fashioned space opera. I am really enjoying this series.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  09:24:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Finished re-reading The Way of Kings, book 1 of The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. Despite the relatively dearth of action—and a plethora of fillers—I somehow find some of the characters (mildly) interesting, especially Kaladin and Szeth, and considering how I couldn’t exactly care for all of them in my first read, I suppose that’s saying much. I just wish there were a few more chapters dedicated to Szeth. (I couldn’t really complain that much about it though, especially having read Brandon’s announcement that book 3 will focus on Szeth.)

Now reading its sequel, Words of Radiance. Currently on chapter 8. Shallan is the focus of this installment. While she has shown some promise in the first book, I still find her characterization a tad lackluster. Thankfully, we have Pattern, the spren with whom she has bonded, to remedy that. A spren of lies and deceit—who wouldn’t like that?

There’s already enough of building up on the groundwork that The Way of Kings has laid, particularly the Kaladin’s growing powers, Dalinar’s disturbing but “educational” visions during the highstorms, and the man (?) called the Almighty.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of Szeth. If book 1 is any indication, we may find him finally fed up with all the errands of his “master” and break free. Seriously, the man has killed kings and highprinces and even Shardbearers at that; he could easily choose the path he wants if he just wants it enough. As the mysterious Soulcaster said in TWoK, Szeth is a work of art.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  11:48:44  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started the War Master's Gate by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  23:07:42  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. 200 pages in, and I like it. I feel like Lawrence does a pretty good job of explaining Jorg's amorality.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  00:14:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell.

Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  00:54:14  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message
There's a bunch of series I am reading off and on currently

Recently finished Raymond Feists Conclave of Shadows

Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind (had to take a break because of all the rape)

Nightside novels by Simon R. Green

obviously the Sundering

Thinking of rereading Roger Zelaznys The Chronicles of Amber I and II once again, one of the greatest fantasy series I know of if not the greatest, Zelaznys death was such a loss.

Anxiously awaiting Evans next book (I actually voiced my dislike of one one of her characters here and she responded) as well as Sandersons continuation of Allomancy of The Law/Mistborn.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  01:22:16  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Completed The Reaver by Richard Lee Byers. Really enjoyed it. I have been impressed with all of the Sundering books so far.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  16:07:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Started Enemy of God by Bernard Cornwell.

Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  06:14:08  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Finished re-reading The Way of Kings, book 1 of The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. Despite the relatively dearth of action—and a plethora of fillers—I somehow find some of the characters (mildly) interesting, especially Kaladin and Szeth, and considering how I couldn’t exactly care for all of them in my first read, I suppose that’s saying much. I just wish there were a few more chapters dedicated to Szeth. (I couldn’t really complain that much about it though, especially having read Brandon’s announcement that book 3 will focus on Szeth.)

Now reading its sequel, Words of Radiance. Currently on chapter 8. Shallan is the focus of this installment. While she has shown some promise in the first book, I still find her characterization a tad lackluster. Thankfully, we have Pattern, the spren with whom she has bonded, to remedy that. A spren of lies and deceit—who wouldn’t like that?

There’s already enough of building up on the groundwork that The Way of Kings has laid, particularly the Kaladin’s growing powers, Dalinar’s disturbing but “educational” visions during the highstorms, and the man (?) called the Almighty.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of Szeth. If book 1 is any indication, we may find him finally fed up with all the errands of his “master” and break free. Seriously, the man has killed kings and highprinces and even Shardbearers at that; he could easily choose the path he wants if he just wants it enough. As the mysterious Soulcaster said in TWoK, Szeth is a work of art.

Excellent. I just picked this book up from the library. I know Sanderson wants this to be his Wheel of Time, but there has to a muzzle put on him at times. Tell a story; don't narrate the passing of time. That's more of what I want.
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  13:31:36  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
I Finished Finder's Bane. Starting Fistandantilus Reborn.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  15:51:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Reading Ghost Story right now, perhaps my least favorite of the Dresden Files books. After that is Cold Days, and then I'm done with the Dresden Files until Skin Game comes out next month -- a book I will run to the bookstore to buy, on my lunch break.

Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  17:49:38  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Reading Ghost Story right now, perhaps my least favorite of the Dresden Files books. After that is Cold Days, and then I'm done with the Dresden Files until Skin Game comes out next month -- a book I will run to the bookstore to buy, on my lunch break.

I know alot of people didn't like Ghost Story, but it was such a change, and a nice breathe in the series that I came away highly enjoying the book.

That said, I'm currently reading The Sentinel. All these Sundering novels just make me wish to see when the next campaign setting is coming out! Lore!!!
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  18:21:42  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
I read Some of the Best from Tor.com 2013 Edition

Now reading The Stolen Crown by Dennis L. Mckiernan.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  21:08:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I know alot of people didn't like Ghost Story, but it was such a change, and a nice breathe in the series that I came away highly enjoying the book.

I don't dislike the book; it's just a low point in the series... Though it gets better at the end. The reveal of the details behind the murder floored me, the first time I read it!

Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  22:45:59  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
I'll admit it was just nice to also read a Dresden novel where Harry wasn't concussed. :D

Speaking of, I just finished 'League of Denial' and 'The Sentinel.'

Next up is Sanderson's book two of Way of Kings, or whatever the title is.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  15:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
I just finished JOHANNES CABAL: THE FEAR INSTITUTE by Jonathan L. Howard. I'm now reading THE DIVIDE by Matt Taibbi.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  18:28:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
The Forever Knight by John Marco.

Go to Top of Page

MagniThorson
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  18:29:53  Show Profile Send MagniThorson a Private Message
Orion and King Arthur by Ben Bova

Edited by - MagniThorson on 26 Apr 2014 18:30:55
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  02:00:07  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message
Just finished Night of the Hunter and now starting Magician by Raymond Feist and The Barrow by Mark Smylie.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  04:09:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Marvel's Darkhold: Pages from the Book of Sins series.

I finally managed to pick up the few issues missing from my collection, so I'm now getting to read the entire saga in full.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  10:45:05  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Halfway through the Blade Itself by Joe Abercombie. Witty and somewhat dark, its quite an enjoyable book.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  11:27:40  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
Just started The Adversary (kindle app ebook); I like the characterisation. I haven't read the Brimstone Angels novels yet; are they similarly good (or better)?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000