Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  07:29:15  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Knightfall

Ed, back in 2012, THO posted a list of all of the children (and a few of the grandchildren) of Challas and Miri Amcathra. Challas was listed as being 97 and Miri as being 92 at the the time of the AD&D 2E Waterdeep boxed set.

What I'd like to find out (please and thank you) are the ages for their children and the grandchildren you mentioned at the same time period. It would help me greatly in the campaign I'm designing.

(I've estimated Mourngrym's age to be about 40 to 45.)

And if it's not too much trouble, can you supply ages for any other Waterdeep NPCs at the time of the Waterdeep boxed set? Or can anyone tell me if Ed has provided such a list elsewhere on these forums?

Cheers,

Robert B.

Considering the number of NPCs in Waterdeep, it may be a good idea to narrow down this query a bit... Are there specific NPCs you are interested in?

Well, I guess I'm mainly concerned with getting the right ages for the NPCs of the major noble families listed in the D&D v.3.5 Waterdeep book -- Adarbrent, Amcathra, Moonstar, Thann, and Wands.
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  07:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message
Another question: Where are the best places in Waterdeep to buy smokepowder weapons?

ROBERT BLEZARD
"I write; therefore, I am!"

Heroes of Deepwater

Edited by - Knightfall on 04 Oct 2014 07:09:45
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  11:51:51  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message
Hello again lady THO I come bearing more questions, actually I have loads of them written down somewhere if I can find them. But the most pressing one I have is on a subject near and dear to me, Art, specifically elven art, in dragon magazine 275 ed mentions an elven sculpture in his Adventures of Volo called a Frozenfalls and i was wondering if there were any more unique types of art created by the elves in any of the kingdoms past or present like the Frozenfalls?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  16:14:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring the words of Ed to Jeremy Grenemyer:

Heh. In the interests of a robust list, I give ye these:

Armral's Pumproom (the apparatus in this room, devised by the now-deceased Palace handyman Ingur Armral, can pump-flush many of the garderobes and their chutes, if manually "pumped up")

Imdauth's Retiring Room (a room of mirrors, wardrobes, steam-kettle presses, sewing tables, and chairs, for the use of ladies needing repairs to their garments, named for the fussy and long-dead Palace dresser who devised and first equipped it)

Javohndur's Butlery (a kitchen and relaxation room for the underservants, grooms, equerries, et al of visitors to the Royal Palace; named for a long-ago steward who created the first such butlery, a smaller and long-demolished chamber elsewhere in the Palace)

Quessarium Hall (a glass-roofed conservatory/greenhouse on the upper floor of the Palace, at the western end, farthest from the gardens, where flowers are grown for Palace table arrangements sheltered from rains and other severe weather; named for a stunningly beautiful young lady-in-waiting of the Palace very early in Azoun IV's reign, who covertly entertained an astonishing number of manservants within it, including the gardeners who tended it)

Xantorth Hall (a little-used royal trophy room of sorts that houses preserved monster relics in glass cases, including tentacles and the much-shrunken central eye of the beholder for which it is named - - who like all the monsters whose parts are displayed here, was slain by an Obarskyr in the past; there are persistent rumors that this room is haunted, or that something valuable is hidden in it, tales reinforced by the standing order [from before the ascent of Azoun IV to the Dragon Throne] that the room be kept locked except for specific, approved-by-the-Crown [that is, King, Queen, or Royal Magician {plus Court Wizard, when this is a separate post}] entries)

Zhonder's Study (named for a Court Sage who perished in the reign of King Duar protecting royal records during the "troubles;" this room had been his workplace)

. . . and there you have it; Ed to the lore rescue once more.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  17:58:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Oh man that is so great. Thank you very much!

All smiles here in sunny California.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  21:36:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And I can add one more Palace room from my campaign notes (Ed as DM, so this comes from Ed's words):

Omlath's Stair
This is a back staircase linking two floors of the Palace, that has little "open" (doorless) rooms at top and bottom, furnished with ovals of seating and sidetables. Often used by Palace staff and courtiers for brief, hushed conversations/consultations.

I'll go looking for more, and I'll prod Ed too, because I KNOW he has more.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  02:55:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
A possible quick one for Ed, or mayhap Garen Thal:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Zhonder's Study (named for a Court Sage who perished in the reign of King Duar protecting royal records during the "troubles;" this room had been his workplace)
I'm not familiar with this curious fellow. And I don't recall his mentioning in any previous Realmslore.

What more can you share with us about Zhonder?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  03:01:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually, thinking about the room reference for Zhonder's Study that THO/Ed posted above, got me thinking about another question I've wanted to ask Ed for some time now.

In the world of the Real, one of my interests is studying the workplaces/studies/libraries of famous creative folk -- writers, thinkers, sages, and the like. So, naturally, I'm curious about what these kinds of environments may be like for some of the more famed sages and loremasters of the Realms in your campaigns?

Generally, I'd assume they mostly all follow the traditional forms of appearance... cluttered with odd books and scrolls, with shelves containing more books and rare scrolls, artifacts, statues, and many other fascinating objects. But, at the same time, most study workplaces of famed individuals tend to have one or two personal items that perfectly encapsulates the individual that the workspace or study belongs to.

Is Zhonder's study much like this? What can you tell us about some of the studies that often become second homes for other famed sages in the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  03:40:56  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Ooh...good questions, Sage. Looking forward to any answers that come your way.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  04:21:34  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
I have a question for Ed, and I hope it can be answered in some way or another. Because it's about a particular realm in the Chultan region, one called "Thindol." Not much was written in the Serpent Kingdoms book on its culture, people, and societal aspects. What sort of aspects of Thindol can I learn to make it stand out from other realms in personality? If such info is NDA, that gives me hope that the nations along the Chultan Peninsula will one day receive more detailed treatment.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2014 :  16:38:28  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Tickling Ed for more details of a delightful NPC... Maethe Blacksilver.
Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  07:24:20  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message
Hello, first time for me to post a question for Ed. Hi Ed, I'd like to know how long does one serve in the Zhentarim army? Is there a contract for one's service? Like in the French Foreign Legion, the first contract is for 5 years of service. And once the contract is over can you just leave the army with no consequences or will they try to kill you because of the secrets you might have known during your years of service.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  23:20:47  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Ed, what would happen if, through outrageous shenanigans (and drunken wizards) Sir Samuel Vimes of Ankh-Morpork winds up in the Realms and takes charge of the Waterdeep city watch for a year (pre-spellplague)? I'm mainly asking because if I recall correctly the Waterdhavian nobility gets up to all sorts of appalling stuff, and Vimes has this crazy notion that the law applies equally to everyone. :D

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  05:48:47  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
What was Azuth's mage sigil, when he was mortal?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  22:23:44  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed did you create the Fardrimm and if yes is there actual maps of it in print anywhere? Also can you give me your "personal" realms situation/residents prior to the year or so before Spellplague?

Second, what would be say three areas in Faerun that are areas of overpowering psychic "anguish/terror" that can be felt by anyone entering them in Faerun late 1370s and effects of staying in such areas overlong?

Lastly have any medium to larger vermin gained sentience via magical pollution/seepage/"radiation' and managed to survive prior to spellplague or even to current year?

A player in my campaign is a half-dragon and random role was Tome Dragon, is this possible and is there or has there been a Tome Dragon dwelling in Faerun during 1300's, what breath would player have btw?

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  07:15:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Again THO and Ed, :)

Please for a moment fix Cormyr of the 1480s in your mind’s eye.

From a god’s eye view you look down and your attention is drawn to the Wyvernflow, north of Wheloon, where rosecork trees are at their most abundant. From that dizzying height you zoom in over the water to view a stand of trees.

It’s the fall of the year 1481 DR, so…

Since the trees were imported from a warmer climate, do the leaves on the trees change color and then fall away? Or do the leaves remain year round?

Have the trees attracted any critters or birds or other creatures? If yes, and during any part of the day, would someone traveling down the Wyvernflow in the fall bear witness to a riot of animal/creature sounds coming from the trees and surrounding environs?

Are the trees destined to bear fruit or berries or nuts during the year? If yes, how often?

Suppose you see a mature rosecork. About how tall is it and how long would you estimate the tree will live if left unmolested by loggers?

Do rosecorks grow away from abundant sources of water? If yes, in the century since they were first planted have they made their way inland as far as the Blister Trail or even past it?

And have they grown into any swampy or marshy land (assuming there is any) either side of the Wyverflow?

Thank you both very much.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 18 Sep 2014 07:22:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  12:44:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Yet another question for my own queue... How active are highknights serving beyond Cormyr's borders?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  15:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message
A few quick questions for Ed,

How active are the Harpers in the Underdark and it various cities (illithid, drow, duergar etc.)?
Have any noted underdark events or plots been averted or instigated by the Harpers?
Do the harpers (as an organization rather than individual's) tend to leave the underdark denizens alone, lest they stir the nest, or is there an active effort to 'deal with' those dangers beneath people's feet?

Maany thanks
-Eli the Tanner

P.S. If elaboration allows...do the Moonstars methods/interests differ greatly in regard to the above queries?

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  19:16:19  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message
If Ed can, could he give (in broad strokes) some details about what elf high mage training may be like? In my scant free time, I'm writing a private story (rapidly turning into a mini-novel) which is something of an ode to one of my favorite characters retiring away who survived three edition changes so far and migrates to Evermeet (which returns to Toril in my conception of the 5e Realms) and I'd strive to be consistent with your vision.
Any scrap of lore would be most welcome. And as ever, deep and heartfelt thanks for everything!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  00:17:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
THO - Recently another thread lead me to re-read the chapters of Elminster in Myth Drannor before and during the laying of the mythal. A paragraph therein reads thus:

"If I was cruel," Uldreiyn told him, "I would share with you some of the memories of Starym you've never known, drowning you in their prides and schemes and sorrows. These kin you ridicule carry such weights, when you are too young and stupid to know true duties. Speak to me not of war, and going to spells,' Maeraddyth."

Would you ask Ed if he'd be willing to share such memories with us? There is very little in all the published works that discusses anything of the Starym other than their arrogance and treasons - I think it would be wonderful to hear stories about where that tremendous pride comes - to be 'drowned in their prides and schemes and sorrows'

As always, thank you both.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  04:13:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Sort of [I hope] a quick one for Ed...

Since you're long established as a scribe on most-things-drow in the Realms, I've a musically-related query [no surprises, right? ] pertaining to something I've just noticed in my re-reading of RAS's Exile novel.

During the depiction of the Zin-Carla ceremony early in the book, RAS notes that House Do'Urden's ritual chants and songs performed as part of the ceremony, were conducted by most of the dark elves comprising the House itself.

Now, my query simply asks whether you have, or whether you would, foresee the musical structures [such as notation, lyrics, and so forth] of these chants and songs directly reflective of the individual House, or in general, reflecting the totality of Menzoberranzan society -- and/or perhaps exclusive Lloth worship -- as a whole? In other words, are the musical aspects and lyrics used by a particular drow House during their individual Zin-Carla ceremony unique to that House and it's relationship with the Spider-Queen alone, or just general chantings and musical ritualistics drawn from the existing choral litanies of praying to Lloth used by the entirety of Spider-Queen worshippers?

I know this might be better asked of RAS himself, and I have already enacted measures that will see my question ferried to his electronic shores. But, still, I'm curious about your unique Realmsian take on drow music for the Zin-Carla ceremony. Or, maybe, perhaps, just drow music as a whole?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  06:02:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

THO - Recently another thread lead me to re-read the chapters of Elminster in Myth Drannor before and during the laying of the mythal. A paragraph therein reads thus:

"If I was cruel," Uldreiyn told him, "I would share with you some of the memories of Starym you've never known, drowning you in their prides and schemes and sorrows. These kin you ridicule carry such weights, when you are too young and stupid to know true duties. Speak to me not of war, and going to spells,' Maeraddyth."

Would you ask Ed if he'd be willing to share such memories with us? There is very little in all the published works that discusses anything of the Starym other than their arrogance and treasons - I think it would be wonderful to hear stories about where that tremendous pride comes - to be 'drowned in their prides and schemes and sorrows'

As always, thank you both.

Great query Masked Mage. Would love to see what Ed comes up with here.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  03:01:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Thanks Krash - I just hope Ed has enough time on his busy schedule to really answer.
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  19:10:56  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message
Another set of Waterdeep questions for THO and Ed.

Circa 1358-1368, are there any empty or abandoned villas in Waterdeep that are available for sale for a noble family that wants to get a foothold in the city? Or, in my case, where would the best place to put new villas for one or more new noble families created for my own campaign? How hard would it be for a noble family from another region to become ennobled in Waterdeep? What's the process and who decides? What if a nonhuman family wanted to become ennobled in the city?

Thanks for considering my questions.

Cheers!

KF
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  19:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message
FYI... my goal is to add no less than 12 new noble families to the city for my campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  20:52:24  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
How hard would it be for a noble family from another region to become ennobled in Waterdeep? What's the process and who decides? What if a nonhuman family wanted to become ennobled in the city?

Knightfall, I'm not Ed, but there are some answers in one of Elaine Cunningham's books, Dream Spheres. Since she worked directly with Ed in a novel based on Waterdeep afterwards, they seem to be quite aligned in their thinkings about the city and their inhabitants.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  14:06:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I tried doing a search, in case this question was already answered (and I vaguely remember something...), but the name is so 'generic' that the search was a bit too... successful. So, forgive me if you've provided answers already, or if the answers were already in something I overlooked.

Why has no settlement formed around either end of The Stone Bridge?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  15:38:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Isn't that the bridge that is holy to dwarves and they'd never allow it?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  15:47:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Another set of Waterdeep questions for THO and Ed.

Circa 1358-1368, are there any empty or abandoned villas in Waterdeep that are available for sale for a noble family that wants to get a foothold in the city? Or, in my case, where would the best place to put new villas for one or more new noble families created for my own campaign? How hard would it be for a noble family from another region to become ennobled in Waterdeep? What's the process and who decides? What if a nonhuman family wanted to become ennobled in the city?

Thanks for considering my questions.

Cheers!

KF

The process for becoming ennobled in Waterdeep is set out in "Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms" at pgs.50-53.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  15:55:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Why has no settlement formed around either end of The Stone Bridge?

From FR11 "Dwarves Deep" (p.54) - Dwarves revere the Bridge ... and will not suffer anyone to settle near it nor control who may cross it.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000