Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  03:13:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
In a similar focus to what Wooly just asked, I've queries about sculptures and/or sculptors in the Realms. Could you please pass them along to Ed as well, my lovely lady?

Specifically, have any particular sculptures/sculptors been the focus of your home campaigns? Could you briefly elaborate on any styles or trends that these sculptures may have introduced into the world of worked marble/stone? Have any sculptors become dastardly villains... perhaps adapting their marble/stone work for fiendish purposes? [I'm kind of thinking something like Marvel Comics' Gray Gargoyle character for this.]

Many thanks, as always.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  04:56:01  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous

Hi there everyone.

I have been feeling a little down about the combat-oriented nature of FR (specifically, D&D's) spells. I just watched a few documentaries about other civilizations and there is so much more than war to life. There could be house-building spells, foot-massage cantrips, magical candy, enchanted boots for everyday use, hair-loss hexes, and so many delightful sexual charms and incantations for pleasure or to uphold certain customs. In a nutshell, I have found that the -- probably incorrect -- vision of FR as nations of either mostly poor, medieval-europe-like folk with magic-less tough lives, or a few nobles and adventurers who can afford magic which is only battle-oriented, to be... a boring concept.

In other words, the game focus of D&D has been stealing away flavor from my Forgotten Realms.

The question is: where, outside of Ed's mind, do I find what I crave for? Where are the magical things for everyday life and regular folk? I think J.K. Rowling did a wonderful job with the Harry Potter series balancing war and quotidian wizardry; I wish we could achieve that, too.

This is a very important question. I've done similar questions over the years. THO, Ed has any answers for this?

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I bring topical questions for Ed!

Will the new D&D/Realms art show any of the 'Robin Hoodiness' of your costume sketches included in Elminster's Forgotten Realms? (This prompted by this illustration, which shows adventurers blessedly not concept-designed and ornamented to death.)

How do you feel the flattened power curve of the fifth edition rules matches the Realms? And the not-quite-Vanceian magic system? Put another way, this question is about how exactly you adapted AD&D magic as an approximation of Realms magic.

If this is all premature, I bid thee stay silent and I'll ask again in time.

This is also another very interesting question. As the new magic system approaches the original vision of Ed Greenwood about the Realms?

Edited by - rodrigoalcanza on 18 Aug 2014 05:02:24
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  14:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message
Hello again, Ed and THO. In a previous post, I asked what two of the dragons from the Wyrms of the North articles might be up to during Tyranny of Dragons. Now, there are three more of those dragons whose doings during Tyranny I'd like to know, if they've survived up until then: Malaeragoth the Dragon Unseen, Valamaradace the Dragon Queen, and her mate Deszeldarundyn Silverwing. Malaeragoth enjoys manipulating the Cult, while the Dragon Queen and her consort would likely be prime targets for the Cult and its dragon allies.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  19:54:52  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

Did you make it down to GenCon THO? How's Ed doing and what are his thoughts on this years GenCon?

I was also wondering if there is anything that can be told about the small town of Easting, where dwarves from the Far Hills trade. Given that the 5E Realms is pushing forward, how about what this place was like in the past? I was curious what the layout of the town is like. On a hill or in a valley etc. Are the homes stone etc. Is there a big market area for when the Stout Folk come to trade? Just looking for a bit more lore to flesh this place out if possible. :)

Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  17:27:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eilserus, your Easting query is off to Ed to see what he can share. :}
I'm afraid I couldn't make it to Indy this year; my employers are on to me, and now stymie my attempts to sneak down to see Ed. :{
However, Ed and I have e-mailed back and forth since GenCon, and he told me his aging body can no longer flourish on really crammed con schedules, which GenCon was, this year, but that he LOVED spending time with new friends and old, and GenCon was an utter hit this year, in that regard. From his secretive meetings with writers and designers quite familiar to scribes here to high-powered conflabs with major publishers to delightful lunches and dinners with the likes of Kris the Grey and Emma Drake and their friends and fellow gamers, Ed really enjoyed himself...and is working up to announcing something big, when the time is right. Ed was also pleased to see the new D&D publications finally (from his POV) starting to reach the public. His annual Indy visit recharges his batteries, so...expect great new lore to appear in the months ahead. Special thanks from Ed to Brian Cortijo for spearheading Candlekeep, and to all who took part in it, "on both sides of the table" as Ed put it. Ed got to spend time with both Eric Boyd and George Krashos again, and warns that "any time lorelords of the Realms gather, scribes should anticipate" (though he was silent on anticipate WHAT ;} ). As for me, I'll hook up with Ed for a few moments at FanExpo, and yearn for my next GenCon. But weep not for me; I've had more quality intimate alone time with Ed than most scribes would ever want (wink, wink, nudge, etc.).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  20:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Eilserus, your Easting query is off to Ed to see what he can share. :}
I'm afraid I couldn't make it to Indy this year; my employers are on to me, and now stymie my attempts to sneak down to see Ed. :{
However, Ed and I have e-mailed back and forth since GenCon, and he told me his aging body can no longer flourish on really crammed con schedules, which GenCon was, this year, but that he LOVED spending time with new friends and old, and GenCon was an utter hit this year, in that regard. From his secretive meetings with writers and designers quite familiar to scribes here to high-powered conflabs with major publishers to delightful lunches and dinners with the likes of Kris the Grey and Emma Drake and their friends and fellow gamers, Ed really enjoyed himself...and is working up to announcing something big, when the time is right. Ed was also pleased to see the new D&D publications finally (from his POV) starting to reach the public. His annual Indy visit recharges his batteries, so...expect great new lore to appear in the months ahead. Special thanks from Ed to Brian Cortijo for spearheading Candlekeep, and to all who took part in it, "on both sides of the table" as Ed put it. Ed got to spend time with both Eric Boyd and George Krashos again, and warns that "any time lorelords of the Realms gather, scribes should anticipate" (though he was silent on anticipate WHAT ;} ). As for me, I'll hook up with Ed for a few moments at FanExpo, and yearn for my next GenCon. But weep not for me; I've had more quality intimate alone time with Ed than most scribes would ever want (wink, wink, nudge, etc.).
love,
THO

Any Realms fans within the Midwest (or within driving distance, like Lady Hooded, mayhaps?) who missed seeing Ed at GenCon could catch him next month at Grand Con in Grand Rapids Michigan. It's Sept 19-21 and all details are at http://grand-con.com/

Steven
who'll be there too along with Jeff Grubb and others with links to the Realms

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  08:15:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Any Realms fans within the Midwest (or within driving distance, like Lady Hooded, mayhaps?) who missed seeing Ed at GenCon could catch him next month at Grand Con in Grand Rapids Michigan. It's Sept 19-21 and all details are at http://grand-con.com/

Steven
who'll be there too along with Jeff Grubb and others with links to the Realms

And some leftover presents from DownUnder.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  20:28:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Hi Ed/THO,

Random question which popped into my head earlier today.

Why was Arcorar not populated by the elves until the end of the Crown Wars.

After all it is (was) one of the largest forests on Toril, extending from Cormyr and the Netheril Basin, all the way to the Moonsea and even into the Vast.

Even more puzzling is the lack of mention of anything else living in the forest.

So while the elves were killing each other en masse what was living inside the borders of Arcorar, and why did the elves stay away?

Was it a holy ground thing. Did the Fey keep it off limits. Was there something so evil in there that the elves kept away until they had no choice but to venture inside. Or were there elves there all along but they did something wrong and got expunged from history.

I have a few ideas (not limited to the ones above), but would love to hear what is in Ed's head.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 25 Aug 2014 20:30:11
Go to Top of Page

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  21:09:25  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message
Hello THO/Ed,

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but here goes:

I'm a big fan of Finder and the Novak/Grubb novels that revolve around him. Are there any plans to raise his profile as a god in future novels/realmslore?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  23:27:06  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO!

I was wondering if Ed would be so kind as to provide us with some lore on Baerauble Etharr? Specifically, I am interested in the Etharr family in Netheril and anything Ed could tell us about Baerauble's formative years there.

Also, are there any contemporary members of the Etharr family that are Shadovar?

Thank you both!

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  03:50:41  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

Ed, can borrow your brain for a few minutes?

Please imagine Arabel in the middle of winter, 1479 DR, right after an overnight storm dumps a good 4-5 feet of snow on the ground. The next day the sky is a bright blue decorated with cotton ball clouds and the sun is shining, but of course it’s still quite cold.

So, a few questions:

Who clears the snow off the roads in the city?

Is anybody collecting the snow for water or other purposes?

With all that snow on the ground do all the Purple Dragons (assuming there’s still the Arabel contingent and the Warden of the Eastern Marches contingent) just sort of hang out when they’re not training? Or are they put to other tasks in the city, like shoveling snow? Or do the war wizards clear the roads both in and out of Arabel and the Dragons ride out to patrol after?

When snow’s expected, are the Dragons spread out in the city ahead of time in smaller garrisons, so they can respond to trouble without having to fight through the snow?

Do the many warehouses in Arabel get converted to living quarters for those portions of the mercenary outfits and merchant costers and so on that own them (or maybe rent them) and that stick it out in Arabel for the winter?

Lastly, in the lead up to wintertime in Arabel, is there anything like a buying rush for farm goods from the surrounding fields that can be stored in larders and otherwise kept from spoiling to last the winter through?

If yes, is there a yearly festival or gathering around this rush, and does it have a name?

Thank you both, as always.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  04:17:51  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Jeremy, I'll chime in with my take. Ed, I'm sure, will have more.

-Snows in Arabel aren't heavy enough to dump four or five feet of snow on the ground. A foot or two, though, is more than possible. Let's go with that assumption.

-Snow removal in heavy winter is performed by two primary groups: soldiers and convicts sentenced to heavy labor (other duties can include breaking rocks, dredging rivers, and--for those that can be trusted--clearing sewers). They are usually sufficient to the tasks.

-Barrels already exist for collecting rainwater, but pure (upper layer) snow is also dumped into wells and used for washing.

-The Dragons drill, patrol the walls and streets more heavily, clear snow (first from city streets, then from roofs and eaves, then again from the streets, and then roads out of the city, etc.), and basically work to do two things: make the city passable, and make it defensible.

-Many local Purple Dragons are truly local, rather than living in the Citadel, and their homes are spread out enough to accommodate for the need. But the Crown also keeps some locations spread out around the city, as well.

I'll let Ed cover what he can of the rest, or the Hooded Lady chime in. They do know a bit more about Arabel than I do, after all.

-Barrels
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  04:42:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Thank you sir! That was an unexpectedly fast answer and I appreciate it. :)

So fast in fact that it came in before I could add a few more questions to the pile, which I'll relate here:

In the wintertime are any of Arabel's many warehouses converted into playhouses or entertainment houses? How about temporary inns and the like?

If there are playhouse conversions, are there any merchants or costers that are known for shifting gears from mercantilism in the warm months to entertainment in the cold months?

Are there merchants or other warehouse owners who rent out their warehouses in the winter while they depart for Suzail or warmer climes, then come back in the warm months to claim them?

I'm starting to really get curious about how Arabel changes once winter sets in.

Thank you Ed, THO and Garen, in advance.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 28 Aug 2014 05:04:12
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  05:39:30  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Just have to piggyback on Jeremy for a second (I'm not heavy, I swear!)... are the answers to his excellent questions also true pre-1385, or did the weather and how the city handles it change significantly during/following the Spellplague?

If this angle is addressed in 4e lore, anyone can feel free to bop me over the head with whichever book I should look in.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  10:51:19  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
Oh come on, clearly the War Wizards just walk down the streets casting fireballs left and right.

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Jeremy, I'll chime in with my take. Ed, I'm sure, will have more.

-Snows in Arabel aren't heavy enough to dump four or five feet of snow on the ground. A foot or two, though, is more than possible. Let's go with that assumption.

-Snow removal in heavy winter is performed by two primary groups: soldiers and convicts sentenced to heavy labor (other duties can include breaking rocks, dredging rivers, and--for those that can be trusted--clearing sewers). They are usually sufficient to the tasks.

-Barrels already exist for collecting rainwater, but pure (upper layer) snow is also dumped into wells and used for washing.

-The Dragons drill, patrol the walls and streets more heavily, clear snow (first from city streets, then from roofs and eaves, then again from the streets, and then roads out of the city, etc.), and basically work to do two things: make the city passable, and make it defensible.

-Many local Purple Dragons are truly local, rather than living in the Citadel, and their homes are spread out enough to accommodate for the need. But the Crown also keeps some locations spread out around the city, as well.

I'll let Ed cover what he can of the rest, or the Hooded Lady chime in. They do know a bit more about Arabel than I do, after all.

-Barrels

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  15:02:50  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I think Eric just wrote the next D&D movie.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  17:02:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Honestly, a flaming sphere would be great for clearing snow.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  17:30:57  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's what I was thinking too. A trio of war wizards scaring up steam as they walk down the street with their spheres in front of them.

Any water left behind might make the roads icy though.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  18:31:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And yet another question for friend Ed... The most recent Forging the Realms article includes this bit:

quote:
Subvert the Elder Rune or Larloch and his liches into pursuing interests and goals that leave Faerűn largely alone and concentrate on other continents of Toril, or into seeing beholders as a race to be protected against the machinations of Shar or Gzemnid or any other deity except the Great Mother.

I do not recognize the reference to "the Elder Rune" and wasn't able to find anything with the Google. Is this a reference to the Twisted Rune or someone already known in published Realmlore, or is that going to be part of a later article? And is there anything you can share now?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  20:31:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Wooly, the "Elder Rune" is what the most senior members of the Twisted Rune call themselves, meaning "we who possess the most self-discipline and actually stick to very long term goals, rather than indulging in some of the excesses and short-term, 'grabby' pursuits of more junior members." Ed tells me you'll see one of those junior members in action in a future Elminster novel - - and added that "junior" is of course a relative term.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  20:37:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Public Service Announcement time again:
Ed will be one of the gaming guests at FanExpo in Toronto. The convention (which is THREE times the size of GenCon, but crowded into a smaller space!) started today, but Ed won't show up until his Q&A session at 11 AM on Friday morning. However, he'll be there until close on Sunday, if you'd like to talk to him, get autographs, and so on.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  20:59:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi again, fellow scribes! Herewith, Ed of the Greenwood opining on winter in Arabel, for Jeremy, xaeyruudh and us all:

Ah, great questions, and great spot-on, take-as-canon-gospel answers from Garen Thal, as always!
Here we go with what I can add . . .
First off, there have been no significant recent changes to either the weather or how it’s locally handled, nor did the Spellplague do much more in this regard than give Arabel an unusually wet winter when it first hit.

Some warehouses in Arabel get used as living quarters by merchant costers that own them, and others are rented out (room by room) to anyone wintering over in Arabel by their owners. Note that costers like to have live-in staffers throughout the winters so that these inhabitants deter thieves, vandals, and arsonists somewhat by their very presence.

There’s no buying rush, because Arabel has always been “the granary of the North” for the common folk of Cormyr (the Purple Dragons and other government arms use the fortified Dragon bases and local lords’ dwellings/compounds for granary purposes), so its cellars and attics (as opposed to mercantile warehouses) have always been used for constant storage, turning over the oldest wares to make room for the new.
The only “rush” is to bring in and pile up aged (dried for a season to three) firewood inside the walls (literally, along the insides of the city walls) before the deepest snows accumulate; one way to keep warm in winter, when the wolves and blizzards aren’t bad, is to fell and split the “green” firewood for later winters).
So there are no local festivals, beyond the widely-observed High Harvesttide and every-tenday special prayers led by the clergy of Chauntea and Silvanus, which go by the collective title of “the Gathering In.”

Thanks to the effects of drunken carousing (i.e. brawls, lechery, and even the occasional fire) inns and taverns in Arabel prefer to host lone minstrels or bardic trios at most, and leave plays and pageants and what we might term “concerts” or “variety shows/vaudeville/music hall” night-long sequences of many acts (comedians, clowns, singers, actors, orators) to other venues, which are almost always repurposed warehouses (many of which are owned by inn and tavern owners).
Several local merchants, including (in the later 1400s DR) the ever-smiling, slender, neatly-bearded Maerammus Arkithral, serve as panderers in winter, acquiring bed-talented lads and lasses (or good singers, or artists skilled at limning portraits) during their fall runs and employing them in Arabel throughout the winter (this goes on in Suzail, too, but costs there are higher and therefore profits lower). The artists often, when not doing portraits, paint endless variations of striking landscapes, bold dragons, and what we might term “good girl art” ranging to outright porn, for sale elsewhere, after the winter, on merchant runs throughout the Heartlands.
And yes, some merchants and other warehouse owners decamp for warmer climes, renting out their properties in Arabel until their return in spring.

Hope these answers help. On rare occasions, there are deep snows in Arabel, but strong winds are far more common winter nuisances/perils.

So saith Ed, painting in more Realmslore for us all . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  22:03:02  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
That was awesome!

Thank you very much.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  22:14:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Wooly, the "Elder Rune" is what the most senior members of the Twisted Rune call themselves, meaning "we who possess the most self-discipline and actually stick to very long term goals, rather than indulging in some of the excesses and short-term, 'grabby' pursuits of more junior members." Ed tells me you'll see one of those junior members in action in a future Elminster novel - - and added that "junior" is of course a relative term.
love,
THO

Thank you for the swift reply, my lady!

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  00:30:28  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
Public Service Announcement time again:
Ed will be one of the gaming guests at FanExpo in Toronto. The convention (which is THREE times the size of GenCon, but crowded into a smaller space!) started today, but Ed won't show up until his Q&A session at 11 AM on Friday morning. However, he'll be there until close on Sunday, if you'd like to talk to him, get autographs, and so on.
love to all,
THO

Next year i'll go meet him at Gencon or Fanexpo .. maybe fanexpo lol, closer (even if its 9h of car travel)

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution

Edited by - HardKano on 29 Aug 2014 00:31:24
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  04:27:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That, or a flaming hands spell -- which I can say worked appreciable well in a snow-encrusted campaign I ran a few years back. A local wizard was earning his keep in the village by regularly removing the snow which would clutter the wagon trails into and out of the town. The wizard would use the spell at an appointed hour some short time before the supply was due to arrive... making it easier for the traders to enter and ply their wares.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  04:31:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Quick query for Ed based on one of his recently offered replies...
quote:

Note that costers like to have live-in staffers throughout the winters so that these inhabitants deter thieves, vandals, and arsonists somewhat by their very presence.
Have you had any trading costers in your campaign who hire classed-staffers -- those inhabitants who might be low-level fighters or wizards, for example? Or are they mostly always NPC-like folk?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  18:42:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed is back from FanExpo, exhausted but happy, and...
I guiltily discovered that I never sent Jeremy Grenemyer his reply to this, posted back on page 2 of this thread: "Hello THO, Did the name of the wine merchant/landlord that runs the High House get left out?"
It did indeed, and the name of this individual is Morivel "Hartmantle" Hartimantur.
Sorry. Glitch in my cutting and pasting, and an overly long time in my fixing this. Thought I'd done it; I'm getting ollllld. Sigh.
And sorry!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  00:02:04  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Why thank you THO.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  01:33:52  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
The well-known folks are not the only ones worth knowing. Is there more to be said about Baalimr Selmarr, carpenter, of Arabel circa 1357?

His shop is strategically located, so I'm guessing business is good? How is he with customers and neighbors? Does he live above his shop or elsewhere in the city? What of the Selmarr family? (Of course, I don't mean to limit the tale to just those questions.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000