Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  23:45:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Torkwaret

Back in 2005, I his write-up of the Covenant, George Krashos mentioned that the wizard Aganazzar died in 1018DR, battling many Red Wizards, including one called Pharazeen, the Zulkir of Invocation of that time.

Yeah, I'm sneaky like that.

Whilst I'm not Ed, I know how busy he is so I can tell you that there have been other mentions of past zulkirs in published and unpublished lore.

In my "Soargar's Legacy" article in Dragon #277 I mentioned Elzarr of the Crimson Eye, the Zulkir of Divination.

In his "Everwinking Eye" article in Polyhedron #109 (p.8), Ed mentioned the Zulkir Thalomeade (no school noted).

In "Volo's Guide to the Dalelands" Ed notes that Rhauntides of Highmoon slew an unnamed Zulkir of Thay.

In the "Spellbound" boxed set there are references to Narvonna Kren the Zulkir of Evocation (Campaign Guide, p.5), Nymor Thrul the Zulkir of Illusion (Campaign Guide, p.5), Nyressa Flass, the "Vampire Zulkir" (Campaign Guide, p.8) and Sabass the Zulkir of Conjuration (Campaign Guide, p.113)

The novel "Red Magic" by Jean Rabe featured Maligor, the Zulkir of Transmutation.

Ed's posts here at Candlekeep reveal that the first Zulkirs were:

Hahlomede Teeos (Abjuration)
Tlantros Tulhoond (Conjuration)
Zarhandro Laeluth (Enchantment)
Dlueae Sharshyndree (Evocation)
Yaerind Mahl (Illusion)
Tarabbas Mroound (Necromancy)
Kulvur Naraelond (Transmutation)

He then notes that after that initial roster but before the list set out in the "Spellbound" boxed set, there were the following zulkirs:

Eldryn Lammaraster (Abjuration)
Ballneth Skroun (Conjuration)
Iyrith Telgahlagar (Enchantment)
Uldreth Korroth (Evocation)
Mahlind Yarrr (Transmutation)

I'd love it if Ed had anything more for us, but that's all the references I've found over the years. Most likely I've missed some, so more than happy for anyone else to chime in.

-- George Krashos

From last year's Ask Ed and dragon 427

From me:
"Talaskos Murthrond is a handsome, purring voiced former Zulkir of Thay who long ago foresaw Szass Tam’s rise, faked his own demise, and departed his homeland for a skulking existence spent hiding in remote places of Faerûn amid magical mists."

I'd like to know more about this guy from Dragon 427, Sundering article. Zulkir of what school (thinking either divination, illusion, or transmutation)? When was he in Thay? What exactly did he foresee? Where did he go?

From the Hooded one:

Hi again, all.
sleyvas, Talaskos Murthrond was the Zulkir of Transmutation at one time, according to my notes.
Ed will, of course, furnish a proper answer when he can. (Folks in Michigan, he'll be at GrandCon this weekend.)
love,
THO

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  09:43:55  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
It's been a while, so hello again, Lady THO, and to Ed. I have a question on the Chosen and their relationship to Mystra and Azuth, circa the 1300s DR (having been away for a good long while, I don't know if this has come up in questions before).

How often do the Chosen, on average, pray to Mystra and Azuth, given the already-close relationship? Daily or many times daily as a priest would (even if they might not need to do so in order to regain spells like a priest)? Do they converse with Mystra on average more than once a day?

Would you consider them to be particularly devout individuals in the sense that they could or do qualify as members of the priesthood for either deity, could or do lead particular rituals or services, and so on? Or would they, on the whole, swing more towards "contractors" of a sort even if they love and serve Mystra anyway, and so while they're members of her faith/have her as a patron, they wouldn't qualify as priests?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster

Edited by - Eldacar on 16 Jul 2014 09:46:13
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  11:46:58  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Gracious Lady, Revered Master,
re-reading the "Priesthoods of the Realms" section of the wonderful Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms some questions arose in my mind:
1 - I was really surprised in reading the secret creed of the Gondsmen, not much by the "smite spellcasters that hate our wonders" part (still more extreme than what i thought but in line with my previous knowledge) but by the lines on Waukeen: "Work to become so wealthy that you can live like a king - and overwhelm and subsume the church of Waukeen, just as Gond shall conquer and wed Waukeen herself." So, how spread is this belief among the Gondsmen (ie: roughly how many every 10 subscribe to it)? Is the source of this stance against Waukeenars secular, divine? Is there some myth or godly sent vision behind this? Or just human envy towards one of the richer churches of Faerun (but it's strange they would single out Waukeen as Sune's, Lliira's and Lathander's are other notoriously wealthy churches and i suppose Sune is always first place in godly beauty contests so i think there is more behind this story than just "Have Gond get a hottie and let us take her church's coins")?
2 - If after 1358 DR Mask grew angry with Darkfingers who engaged in politics and other bold public activities how does he and his clergy relate to the Shadowmasters of Teflamm (that almost openly rule the city) and to the Shadow Thieves of Amn (that meddle heavily in politics albeit in a way more sublte manner than their Teflammar buddies)?
3 - There are a couple of cases of "took dragon shape and lives on as a dragon" (Ilmurk Yauntar of Azuth and Avalant Rauntur of Beshaba), is this the Faerunian equivalent of our "is living in a secret island with Elvis" (albeit slightly more realistic given the presence of magic in Faerun)? If it's not only a wild rumor but truth, are there many rituals, arcane and divine spells, magical concotions or artifacts that bestow such a transformation (humanoid to dragon) permanently? Could you share a few?

Many thanks!

Edited by - Demzer on 16 Jul 2014 11:48:31
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2014 :  18:23:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Demzer, Ed tells me your 3rd question, directly above, is unfortunately NDA at the moment. Which should tell you something about the future (she added sly)...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2014 :  21:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Though there is the Netherese dragonshape spell (Volo's Guide to the North, Volo's Guide to All Things Magical), and ways to make spell effects permanent.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  15:37:29  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

Recently, on YouTube, I came across videos of the very first Forgotten Realms product I ever bought, the Eye of the Beholder 3 video game. I watched a few of them, and they really took me back across the years… In particular, I remembered the short story Ed wrote that was included at the start of the game's instruction manual, Moonrise over Myth Drannor. It was that short story that made me curious about the Forgotten Realms, and made me buy a Realms novel the next time I went to the bookstore (I picked the novel Shadowdale, because that was the setting for Moonrise). I've a fan of the Realms since then. This nostalgia trip has made me come up with a few questions…

1) Are the events of the Eye of the Beholder and Pool of Radiance series of video games considered canon in the Forgotten Realms by Wizards of the Coast?

2) In Eye of the Beholder 3, the most powerful magical weapon was a two-handed sword +5 named Dhauzimmer the Bright Blade, a holy sword of Lathander that was extremely effective against undead creatures and that was given to the party by Lathander himself. If Dhauzimmer exists in the canon Realms, where is it in the year when 5th edition starts?

3) This one is unrelated to video games… I really enjoyed your Wyrms of the North series of articles. My two favorites were Balagos the Flying Flame and Daurgototh the Creeping Doom. Are those two still alive (well, existing in Daurgototh's case) at the start of 5th edition, and if yes, are they up to any particular schemes? I can easily envision either or both of them wanting to screw things up for the Cult of the Dragon during the events of Tyranny of Dragons, and Daurgototh in particular might be tempted to subtly help the PCs fighting the Cult...

Edited by - Krafus on 21 Jul 2014 15:39:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  18:52:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Herewith, Ed answers Krafus:

1. I don't know; you'd have to ask them (as I'm not an employee, and can't speak for them). I believe the default position, however, is "yes," being as TSR *did* accept them as canon.

2. Dhauzimmer the Bright Blade is canon (I created it, way back when, before the computer game, though its powers/properties got gussied up for the game), and still exists in the Realms. In the "home" Realms campaign, it vanished in a rosy glow manifestation of Lathander after a wielder died fighting for the greater glory of the Morninglord, and visions of it have appeared over several altars in temples of Lathander, suggesting it remains to be found by someone who explores in the right place and does the right (according to Lathander's lights, of course) things.

3. Balagos and the Creeping Doom both still exist in the home Realms campaign, and both are quietly "up to things" (intrigues). Balagos wants to influence mercantile doings to yield up plentiful regular food supplies for, ahem, Balagos . . . and the Creeping Doom wants to subvert all Cult of the Dragon members who have misgivings about the central goal of Tyranny into working for, yep, the Creeping Doom, on a more subtle/low-profile/slower-paced scheme to enrich the Cult members through investments and illicit (undercutting guids and not honoring guild rules or local near-monopolies)trade(which will please the Cult members) and then ensuring that the Cult members further the will of the Creeping Doom, which is to covertly rule/influence political matters...hope this helps.

So saith Ed. Who has to be vague in his wording on that last question, he tells me, to skate around NDAs.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  04:47:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

3. Balagos and the Creeping Doom both still exist in the home Realms campaign, and both are quietly "up to things" (intrigues). Balagos wants to influence mercantile doings to yield up plentiful regular food supplies for, ahem, Balagos . . . and the Creeping Doom wants to subvert all Cult of the Dragon members who have misgivings about the central goal of Tyranny into working for, yep, the Creeping Doom, on a more subtle/low-profile/slower-paced scheme to enrich the Cult members through investments and illicit (undercutting guids and not honoring guild rules or local near-monopolies)trade(which will please the Cult members) and then ensuring that the Cult members further the will of the Creeping Doom, which is to covertly rule/influence political matters...hope this helps.
Oooo!

Quick follow-up on this for Ed, my Lady... Is there much chance [that you can foresee at this very moment] of this working anyway into the official Realmslore?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  07:40:16  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beppe63

Which alphabet, if there is one, have languages as Aquan, Ignan, Sylvan, Gnomes and Halfling given that Thorass (Alzhedo) is that of the creatures of the air?
Elementals have little use for books and suchlike, so they are unlikely to have their own alphabets. But...
According to Al-Qadim sources, genies talk to each other on their commmon tongue, Jannti (with Elemental and Prime dialects, of course). So even if there are no elemental alphabets, the question shifts to geniekind: what about their alphabet, and what influences did it have on Faerun?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  14:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message
quote:
hope this helps.

It does indeed! I already have a few ideas, based on this answer, to get Daurgototh involved in Tyranny of Dragons...

THO, please thank Ed for both the promptness and the thoroughness of his reply. And I thank you as well for conveying it to and back from him so quickly.

Edited by - Krafus on 23 Jul 2014 14:28:14
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  23:08:16  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I just picked up the Lost Mine of Phandelver yesterday. I really like this as a way to kick off a campaign. In that beautiful regional map they included for the adventure is a set of hills east of Neverwinter Woods called Starmetal Hills. As far as I can tell there is no lore on this place aside from Berun's Hill being located there. Is there anything either of you two could share about the area?

Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  11:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi Ed and THO,

I just picked up the Lost Mine of Phandelver yesterday. I really like this as a way to kick off a campaign.

I have no economic return, but I take this opportunity to point out that at the site of Mike Schley, the creator of these wonderful maps and excellent person, you can download at a nominal price all of these maps (and other of the Realms) in high resolution.

http://mikeschley.zenfolio.com/f834886383

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  16:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
Hi all,

I need help to find a king in the long Obarskyr dinasty to put in a ancient lost tomb at the feet of the Eastern Stormhorns between Tyrluk and the Warm Waterfall.

I need one at least of 400 years old (now in my campaign we are in 1372 DR), that he is not already buried in the mausoleum of the Obarskyr (canonical information) and one that has reigned for a while and that it is (or it has been) positively remembered for what he did.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  16:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
quote:
Elementals have little use for books and suchlike, so they are unlikely to have their own alphabets. But...
According to Al-Qadim sources, genies talk to each other on their commmon tongue, Jannti (with Elemental and Prime dialects, of course). So even if there are no elemental alphabets, the question shifts to geniekind: what about their alphabet, and what influences did it have on Faerun?

Thanks TBeholder. :)

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2014 :  05:48:13  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Herewith, Ed answers Krafus:

2. Dhauzimmer the Bright Blade is canon (I created it, way back when, before the computer game, though its powers/properties got gussied up for the game), and still exists in the Realms. (...)

love,
THO

Hi, Ed and THO,

Are the original powers of Dhauzimmer anywhere we can access? I think it is not just a regular holy avenger blade, right?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  18:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
Maybe gone unnoticed and I would repost it. I apologize in advance if things are not going so. :)

-----

Hi all,

I need help to find a king in the long Obarskyr dinasty to put in a ancient lost tomb at the feet of the Eastern Stormhorns between Tyrluk and the Warm Waterfall.

I need one at least of 400 years old (now in my campaign we are in 1372 DR), that he is not already buried in the mausoleum of the Obarskyr (canonical information) and one that has reigned for a while and that it is (or it has been) positively remembered for what he did.

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  19:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:

Maybe gone unnoticed and I would repost it. I apologize in advance if things are not going so. :)

-----

Hi all,

Beppe, it's important to remember that this thread is for questions to Ed, and that Ed receives an awful lot of questions, some of which go months (or even years) before he can give them a proper answer. Questions for the 'group,' as it were, should be posted elsewhere.

That said, the region you are talking about was mostly out of Cormyr's control for the period you require. Prior to the marriage of Palaghard I to Enchara, the warrior-queen of Esparin, the area in the foothills of the Stormhorns was part of the kingdom as far as outsiders were concerned, loosely patrolled and strongly independent (which is why Esparin was able to rise in the first place), and considered by its own residents to be not-of-Cormyr (High Horn Hold to the northwest notwithstanding).

That's not to say that there aren't any royals that far afield. Just that it's less likely to be one of Cormyr's kings.
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  20:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
That said, the region you are talking about was mostly out of Cormyr's control for the period you require. Prior to the marriage of Palaghard I to Enchara, the warrior-queen of Esparin, the area in the foothills of the Stormhorns was part of the kingdom as far as outsiders were concerned, loosely patrolled and strongly independent (which is why Esparin was able to rise in the first place), and considered by its own residents to be not-of-Cormyr (High Horn Hold to the northwest notwithstanding).

That's not to say that there aren't any royals that far afield. Just that it's less likely to be one of Cormyr's kings.

Thanks Garen Thal, and excuse me for the repost, this will never happen again. :)

Mmmm... any suggestion for the possible royal or is it better for me to invent him?

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  02:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Dearest Hooded One,

I was wondering if Ed might be able to comment on which deities are, as of the publication of The Herald, considered "living." I can find no authoritative source on Wizards.com, and both The Forgotten Realms Wiki and Wikipedia differ on whether or not deities are alive. If he can confirm with an "aye" or "nay" as to whether or not this will be answered in the official 5th Edition core books, that would be splendid. It's been very difficult as a reader of novels to tell if a deity is "dead" or not. Adventures famously listed Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul as "the Dead Three" but Bane is definitely back, but Bhaal and Myrkul are in debate. It seemed like Bob Salvatore was having Mielikki "say goodbye" in his books, but now she appears to be back. Helm, Lathander, Mask, and Mystra all seem to have "resurfaced" as "alive" in the Pantheon in The Sundering series. But my own players ask me (or argue amongst themselves) as to which gods are back. I can play the "you only know that your spells are granted; you don't know which deity is doing so" card, but it's difficult for those of us who love the Realms to be at a loss as to which gods are officially "alive" or "active." I recognize that an exhaustive list of all deities for all of the races would probably take Ed too long to compile, but I'll take scraps or tatters on any gods that are not "active" or "alive" that were in the 3rd edition core rule book. Again, I ask only with respect to where things are at the end of The Herald and don't ask him to reveal what the 5th Edition books will say.

Hoping mine own namesake makes the list,

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  09:28:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Have you looked at the lineage of Cormyr in "Grand History of the Realms"?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  14:26:54  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Ed, THO,

I've started reading through all your old posts answering questions... (today I was reading in 2006). Over and over again we come upon the dreaded NDAs; I'm wondering if many of those old NDAs are no longer in effect given the drastic changes that have happened to FR in the interim. If its not too much of a nuisance I thought I'd start a series of daily 'Can you tell me more about this previously deemed NDA topic' questions.

Today's question revolves around a line of responses you made about the best swordsmen in the Realms: Can you tell us more about ‘the (previously deemed NDA) Questmaster'?
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  15:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
quote:

-- George Krashos

Yes, George Krashos but I have difficult to indetify what king would be better suited trying to stay in the canons of the Realms. Any hint?

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  01:01:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Yes, George Krashos but I have difficult to indetify what king would be better suited trying to stay in the canons of the Realms. Any hint?

Four hundred years makes that a tad difficult. No reason for any of the 900s DR kings to be buried there. Now, if that dating is flexible, Proster is your man. For the purposes of your campaign, I'd suggest him.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  08:53:47  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Ed, THO, thanks for the constant stream of juicy lore.

Question: could you please give some details on "ravening fire" spell (mentioned in Volo’s Guide to All Things Magical)? Even if you won't give stats, the very idea of partially successful attempt to imitate spellfire raises a lot of questions, like... does it "resemble" spellfire in the sense that it's partially raw magic too, if with different properties, in that it destroys active spells or that it merely looks similar? It's obviously far from common, but then, who is likely to use it?..

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  16:33:15  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
In today's reading of post of yesteryear I came across a term THO used when describing Dove of the seven: "Weave-healing"

Has this ability (that which chosen use to heal themselves and others in your novels) ever been spelled out in game terms? I looked back at the Powers Of The Chosen write up in Seven Sisters and found that it was absent. If not would you fill me in on the particulars?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  00:02:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring you Ed's responses to The Masked Mage:

Sorry, the Questmaster is still NDA.
Weave-healing is learning how to use the Weave to heal (in other words, instead of casting a spell to harness the Weave to manipulate the natural energies of the world to create a healing effect, you harness the Weave directly).
Learning how to do this requires lots of experience in working with the Weave, and is done slightly differently by everyone who learns how to do it (which is why it's never been a formal put-into-game-rules power). Elminster is the only real Weavemaster alive and active in the Realms today, according to Mystra (who IS the Weave, so she should know), but Azuth and the Srinshee would have greater mastery of the Weave than old El, and most of the other Chosen of Mystra are well on the way to becoming Weavemasters. Most of the "Chosen" of other deities are merely champions or favored mortals of those gods, given the title "Chosen," rather than working closely with the Weave all the time, as the Chosen of Mystra do - - so while some of them may have learned how to work directly with the Weave in small ways, any claims to "Weave mastery" on their part are just that: claims. Not reality. With that said, veteran priests of high level of any faith, who have done lots of healing, may understand HOW Weave-healing is done, and may well be able to accomplish it with the favor of their deity, by calling through prayer while the being to be healed is on an altar, or touched by something sacred to the god. In all cases, I have handled this as a DM as something to be roleplayed, not "another spell in my toolbox that I the player announce my character is casting."
Hope this helps.

So saith Ed. Who is busy busy busy on new Realmslore that he's not allowed to say more about. He warns The Masked Mage and others that most NDAs just stay in place - - but promises he'll have a go at stickhandling around them for anyone who asks.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  10:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
quote:

Four hundred years makes that a tad difficult. No reason for any of the 900s DR kings to be buried there. Now, if that dating is flexible, Proster is your man. For the purposes of your campaign, I'd suggest him.

-- George Krashos

Thanks George, I will use your suggestion.

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  09:59:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Ed/THO Thanks for the reply.

As far as NDAs staying NDAs, I'm assuming that most of the NDAs I bring up will not yeild much if anything... but one can always hope.

For today I would like to ask about the Sword Heralds and the Mages Regal. The Sword Heralds have been NDA forever so I'm guessing they still are, but they remain as you described them way back in Volo's Guide "One of the most fascinating - and little known - subjects in any study of the folklore of Cormyr". So is there anything you can tell us about them? Perhaps more on their membership (either those who have passed away, or those who survive - or possibly any that are now undead... Possibly of a known hideaway or two... Perhaps details on the Hidden House Tessaril uses...

I throw the Mages Regal into the mix as well because their brief mention in the 3rd Ed FRCS book is just begging to be expanded upon. Who were they? Do you have write ups on any of their spells dealing with portals/gates (or others not known to them).

I'm hoping at least some of this lets you navigate past the mighty NDAs :)

Thank you for your time!

TMM
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  02:05:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Sorry, The Masked Mage, Ed tells me both the Sword Heralds and the Mages Regal are still heavily NDA'd. He added: "SOME day..."
Sorry.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  11:03:49  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
:) - I figured as much... Eagerly awaiting that day. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000