Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  19:28:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I have the honour to present this followup, from Ed, to Dalor Darden and Markustay:

I by no means want to horn in on your party; your world should be yours, not "yours as tinkered with by Ed or anyone," but if you'd like more than a foreword, and it can wait until July, I MIGHT be able to do more. ( Up until then, I am wildly more than booked. ;} )
Just sayin...

Hoohah.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  19:34:02  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. I have the honour to present this followup, from Ed, to Dalor Darden and Markustay:

I by no means want to horn in on your party; your world should be yours, not "yours as tinkered with by Ed or anyone," but if you'd like more than a foreword, and it can wait until July, I MIGHT be able to do more. ( Up until then, I am wildly more than booked. ;} )
Just sayin...

Hoohah.
love,
THO

DONE!

EDIT: need to go change my pants again now...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 02 Apr 2014 19:38:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  19:40:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
LOL - and here we weren't going to bother you for 'other commitments' (stretch-goals?) until the kickstarter becomes a reality.
Thank You so much for your support!

I'm not sure how much DD has thought about this, but since the world is moving through the universe similar to a 'rogue planet', it has the same potential for setting crossovers as FR has. Have you ever looked at FR as a 'crossroads' of sorts?

(see what I did there? I asked a question.)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Apr 2014 19:41:53
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  20:52:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And now this, from Ed:

The original Realms has always been a crossroads (that DRAGON 37 article on gates was no accident), with gates hidden here, there, and everywhere, and upper-PC-level play always getting caught up in the power groups that try to control gates and work from world to world, usually behind the scenes.
It was the "teenage mothers from heck"/James Egbert real-world problems of the day that caused that aspect of the Realms to be downplayed almost out of existence in the published Realms.
Rest assured that in the "home" Realms campaign, shadowy power groups like the Twisted Rune and its ilk are major background PC foes - - just maddeningly hard for them to come to grips with. :}

So saith Ed. Who's obviously got Net access right now and enough time to peek at e-mails...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  01:00:18  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message
Ed/THO,

After that last post you just KNEW I'd have to ask for more information on what groups in the "home" game are regular cross world influencers (and what details exist on the Twisted Rune and Earth connections in this regard)? You evil tease you!

In my home game I have a set of villainous NPCs originating on Earth stalking the Realms as major PC foes. To that general premise I added a 'Highlanderesque' twist, where such groups from Earth are routinely in conflict with one another as they can gain eldritch power from the elimination of other Earthers. I'd be curious to see what you did with 'Evil Earthers' in the home game?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  15:49:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. And I'll be very interested to see how Ed navigates through a veritable minefield of NDAs to fashion some sort of answer for you, Kris the Grey. This is going to be tricky . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  16:22:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Markustay picturing Ed's response to K-t-G:

"I can't say much, but I will say that stuff happened, and people were definitely involved".

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. Thank you for that quick response (and everything else) as well. Twisted Rune you say? Hmmmmmm.....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  17:14:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

And now this, from Ed:

The original Realms has always been a crossroads (that DRAGON 37 article on gates was no accident), with gates hidden here, there, and everywhere, and upper-PC-level play always getting caught up in the power groups that try to control gates and work from world to world, usually behind the scenes.
It was the "teenage mothers from heck"/James Egbert real-world problems of the day that caused that aspect of the Realms to be downplayed almost out of existence in the published Realms.
Rest assured that in the "home" Realms campaign, shadowy power groups like the Twisted Rune and its ilk are major background PC foes - - just maddeningly hard for them to come to grips with. :}

So saith Ed. Who's obviously got Net access right now and enough time to peek at e-mails...
love,
THO

As a follow-up... Does that mean groups from behind Realmspace were using portals to control things in the Realms? Is there more info there, that can be shared?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Strongheart
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  17:55:59  Show Profile Send Strongheart a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I am a huge fan. I've loved Paladins ever since I had my original Strongheart D & D figure and his appearances in the D & D cartoon. When first introduced to the Forgotten Realms I quickly fell in love with Waterdeep because of its majesty, diversity, and the endless adventures that something so massive, cosmopolitan, and magical could provide for. I think I loved it most of all because of all places in the Realms a place like this found itself governed at least openly by a Paladin. I loved the idea of a place that would be simmering with plots and intrigue, magic and mayhem, would have the influence of an Arthurian like figure providing the people and powers both internal to the city and external powers as well with the image of a lawful, just, pragmatic leader that would provide the stability for a place like this to both thrive and be stable in the wild North.

I think Piergeiron and his bodyguard Madeiron are my two favorite characters in the realms. Piergeiron's background is slightly alluded to as the son of a famous dragon slaying paladin and who tries to live up to that example. I've enjoyed his appearances in the novels Ed has penned. I have some questions about the two of them.

Is the story of his deceased wife chronicled anywhere? What kind of relationship does he have with his daughter? What is the overall view of his fellow Lords toward him? Are they relationships of respect and camaraderie or are their really deep affectionate friendships between he and any of the fellow Lords? Would Madeiron account as his best friend? Is Madeiron an uncle figure to Aleena? How do he, Madeiron, and Texter see their responsibilities and roles as Paladins and their mission beyond their duties to the city of Waterdeep? How do they interact with church of Tyr? What attracted Madeiron to becoming a paladin and how did he come to be Piergeron's friend and bodyguard? What is the relationship between Madeiron and Texter? Is Madeiron respected or friends with any of the Lords? How is he viewed by the people of the city? Is he a point of spectacle or fear because of his size or are people just use to it? Did Madeiron have much of a life story before meeting Piergeron or was he young when they met? Is their anything unusual about his parentage that accounts for his size? Is he the tallest man in the Realms? Finally what ultimately happened to these men?

I am sorry if it's two many questions. I wish for a book just on Piergeiron and Madeiron and their friendship, adventures, and happenings as Open Lord and Champion.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  21:42:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, and well met, Strongheart.
Off your question has gone to Ed, but let me begin to answer you, with the ones I do know something about...

Is the story of his deceased wife chronicled anywhere?
THO: Not yet.

Would Madeiron account as his best friend?
THO: Yes.

Is Madeiron an uncle figure to Aleena?
THO: Yes, but as the years passed they became more "equals and trusted friends."

How do he, Madeiron, and Texter see their responsibilities and roles as Paladins and their mission beyond their duties to the city of Waterdeep?
THO: Not a direct answer, but you've read what Elaine Cunningham wrote about Texter in her novels, yes?

Is he the tallest man in the Realms?
THO: No.

Finally what ultimately happened to these men?
THO: I suspect THIS is going to be NDA, but we'll see...

Ed is off to Ad Astra this weekend and may not see your questions until early next week, but I suspect he'll be happy to answer them, as Piergeiron and "the Sunderstone" were characters he hoped would be more prominent in the published Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  04:41:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

And now this, from Ed:

Sort of a curious wondering on my part, not sure whether Ed can or would like to answer it [because it's likely more fun for an answer to this query to remain vague], but... Just how many of these portals and gates would you, Ed, say has the Larloch-stamp-of-approval, so to speak?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  07:08:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Hi AGAIN, all.
George, Ed tells me there's actually a super-secret (and of course NDA) file, dating from BC times (Before [[personal]] Computers), that details exactly how to "Realmsify" CM8. He'll have to hunt for it, to rephrase it so he can share without blowing up any NDAs, but yes, he can confirm that the two mentions of Ulthorn refer to one and the same wizard.
More as soon as he can manage it.
love,
THO

I guessed as much. Tell Ed he can wrap a copy of the file in brown paper and slip it to me at GEN-CON!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  23:50:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed is just back home from Ad Astra, and the photos are beginning to flood out onto Facebook. Ed tells me one of his panels with Steven Erikson was recorded, as was a brief interview he did for Geek Inked magazine, and he had a great time and may soon recover.
It seems that the KOBOLD GUIDE TO MAGIC has just come out! Ed has some great company in this one, including Realms luminaries like Jeff Grubb and lots of gaming veterans, such as Wolfgang Baur (the cover lists the long and juicy roster).
Check it out at . . .

Kobold Press:

http://www.koboldquarterly.com/kqstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=222

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193678128X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=193678128X&linkCode=as2&tag=themonkeyki04-20

Paizo: http://paizo.com/products/btpy95f1?Kobold-Guide-to-Magic

DriveThruRPG:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/128048/KOBOLD-Guide-to-Magic

This one is a doozy, and Ed tells me there'll be more products out from Kobold Press that he's had a hand in, soon....
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  07:29:24  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
That looks pretty awesome. I shall have to look into acquiring it.

An unrelated query, from the gray box. At the end of "The Beast Cults" paragraph on page 16 of the Cyclopedia: "...and the Dragon Cult among those evil mages beyond Thar."

Where beyond Thar? The Tortured Land, or the Glacier? (Vaasa didn't exist in Ed's Realms right?)

And is this referring to the original Cult of the Dragon, or another dragon cult which is more beast cult and probably less political organization?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 08 Apr 2014 07:31:24
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2014 :  18:14:32  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO...

I have been wondering for some about something about the Srinshee. When it comes to sheer knowledge of the art and the understanding of magic Larloch seems to be the guy that is referred to as Mr. Know it All. When it comes to knowledge of the art, her in-depth perception, her understanding what can be said about hers? I have always thought that she was more or less the most knowledgeable mage of the realms and possible all of Toril. Even when considering Larloch, Ioulaum, Halaster, the terraseer and other über mages.

So how much does she know? Any comment on her skills, knowledge, understanding would be much appreciated.

I’m aware that many other scribes might be able to answer this question extensively, but I would like some comments from the source if possible.
Oh yeah and thanks so much for providing us all with a fantastic playground. We are forever in your debt.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2014 :  18:18:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

xaeyruudh, I bring you this response, from Ed:

The passage you cite ("...and the Dragon Cult among those evil mages beyond Thar.") does indeed refer to a dragon cult that is NOT the Cult of the Dragon, but rather a relatively short-lived [some 70 years or so, starting around 1306 DR] way in which a handful of dragons, through the service of about a dozen evil wizards who gained quite a good lifestyle thereby, ruled over the flind of Mount Gaethluntar. The red dragons laired in various lofty caverns of the mountain (and all had personal "bolthole" refuge-lairs in the mountain range to the south and east), and sought to control certain rich mines and so amass great wealth that they could use (acting through the wizards) to manipulate various Sembian families to carry out their plans, which increasingly hinged on curbing the rise of Zhentarim power north of the Moonsea.

So saith Ed. Who may in time reveal more of this dragon cult...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2014 :  19:05:35  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Who may in time reveal more of this dragon cult...
love,
THO

Please! That's an awesome bit of lore right there.

In the meantime, do we know any of those dragons or wizards (or the Sembian families) already, from other lore?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2014 :  02:20:01  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
For the Irongard adventure in Dungeon #18, Ed described "an extremely tough, durable form of obsidian enspelled long ago in the now-vanished Northern realm of Netheril."

Questions:
1. Was this altered/augmented substance given a name?
2. Is normal obsidian called obsidian by most folks in Faerun, or does it have a different name?

Also in Irongard, the PCs might find a chest containing a live stirge resting under the effects of a Phezult's sleep of ages.

Questions:
1. Was Iyarim a member of the Naturalists?
2. Was he from Netheril?
3. Was he a contemporary of Phezult?

Thank you, always!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  10:10:55  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Gracious Lady and Revered Master,
Between the Harpers dedication to the cause of Good and the philosophy of preservation and circulation of magic in all it's forms of Mystra and her Chosens, have there ever been clashes or incidents regarding the ultimate fate of destructive spells, dangerous artifacts and evil spellcasters/magical creatures?
To give an example: when the Harpers beat a scheming lich and get to its lair, what happens to the "Magic Rod of World Domination" the monster had devised? And what to its collection of wands and scrolls of spells too hideous to be ever used by any Harper mage? Do the Harpers destroy it all? Do they seal it all away? Or do the Chosens step up and take care of those kind of things?
Any anecdote you feel free to share?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  17:06:11  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
So much awesome in Ommurk's Sly Disaster! 1. It's genius as is. 2. I can make "the Maersaerath Mask" either a red herring or a hook/diversion for my Okothian plot; with lizardfolk and naga on the unexpected guest list it falls smoothly into place. Thankya.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  20:35:27  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
Here's an odd question related to the most recent Sundering novel.

My question is about the god Helm. In the book, a mysterious goat seems to be related to Helm. I'm sure questions about that specific goat are NDA off-limits, but I'm wondering more generally about whether or not Helm had any lore/history associations with goats or other animals. As the Norse god Odin is affiliated with ravens and Thor has a riding goat, is Helm associated with any animals? Any stories you could relate?

If it's not NDA, can you tell us anything specific about that particular goat? Some have suggested it was Helm's avatar or held Helm's essence while he was dead - much like Mystra inhabited a bear while she was "dead" for those years. Given that energy didn't seem to fly out of the goat with Helm's rebirth, I'm inclined to say that it wasn't his avatar and didn't hold his essence, but I'm guessing. Any thoughts that can be shared on this?

It also occurred to me that (in the Realms), one might be called "goat-headed" - in terms of vigilance or singularity of purpose - just as we say "bull headed" in the real world, but I'm just speculating on that also. Goats are notoriously stubborn.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 16 Apr 2014 20:38:05
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  21:02:27  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

For the Irongard adventure in Dungeon #18, Ed described "an extremely tough, durable form of obsidian enspelled long ago in the now-vanished Northern realm of Netheril."

Questions:
1. Was this altered/augmented substance given a name?
- Was it a variant of Glassteel or if not, what were the differences?
- Did various successors of their magical tradition learn this useful trick? Descendants of Netheril (like Halruaa and Nimbral), possessors of runaway knowledge (like with Ioun stones), independents reverse-engineering Netherese trinkets (Sshamath and surely many others)?..

quote:
2. Is normal obsidian called obsidian by most folks in Faerun, or does it have a different name?
...and how many variations of the question "do they talk English in Realms, or is it a translation convention?" were already asked?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  04:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Just wanted to say: Ed's short story, "Awakening The Deep Magic," in the front of the Kobold Press DEEP MAGIC was a nice, fun read. Thank you!
(Geez, you've been a busy guy, Ed. Don't you ever sleep?)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  20:11:06  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message
Have any of Ed's original gaming group published or authored any novels or gaming material?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  02:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Victor Selby (who played Jelde Asturien/Semoor Wolftooth and later Torm) collaborated with Ed on a monster in The DRAGON, "The Rhaumbusun." I seem to recall (from what Ed said at a GenCon seminar) that it was Victor's monster, and Ed wrote it up in 2nd Ed rules format. I don't have my DRAGON collection handy, but it was fairly early in the mag's run (somewhere between the 40s and 80s in issue numbers).
Ed and Victor had separate Divine Right (as in: the TSR fantasy board game) articles in DRAGON 34, which had a Divine Right theme.

Also, Andrew Dewar (who played Doust Sulwood and later Rathan Thentraver) had at least one article, on a diviner NPC called The Oracle in DRAGON 53.

There are probably more gaming publications and certainly more fiction and poetry. For some years in the early 1980s, Ed's group published their own gaming-and-personal zine, THE CAMPAIGN HACK, and it had well over a hundred issues.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  04:38:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Victor Selby (who played Jelde Asturien/Semoor Wolftooth and later Torm) collaborated with Ed on a monster in The DRAGON, "The Rhaumbusun." I seem to recall (from what Ed said at a GenCon seminar) that it was Victor's monster, and Ed wrote it up in 2nd Ed rules format. I don't have my DRAGON collection handy, but it was fairly early in the mag's run (somewhere between the 40s and 80s in issue numbers).

Per The DragonDex, it's issue 52.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  09:28:50  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Ed and Victor had separate Divine Right (as in: the TSR fantasy board game) articles in DRAGON 34, which had a Divine Right theme.

Also, Andrew Dewar (who played Doust Sulwood and later Rathan Thentraver) had at least one article, on a diviner NPC called The Oracle in DRAGON 53.

There are probably more gaming publications and certainly more fiction and poetry. For some years in the early 1980s, Ed's group published their own gaming-and-personal zine, THE CAMPAIGN HACK, and it had well over a hundred issues.
BB

Thanks BB.
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  16:04:35  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message
Is there any information on where Ren o' the Blades base of operation was when he lived in Waterdeep? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  16:37:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Victor also had some magic items that were published IIRC in Dragon #91. They were featured in a collection of items article called "Treasure Trove". Dragon #91 remains one of the best FR content issues published.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  18:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ah! Entirely forgot about those! Getting old . . .
Thanks, Mister Krashos! (And keep your great Realmslore coming!)
BB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000