Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Skis, skiing, and winter in the Silver Marches
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  18:27:48  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Soon my Silver Marches campaign will be nearing the end of fall and thus the adventuring season. I run my campaigns very realistically and I would like to get more information on winter life in the Silver Marches and options for adventuring during the winter and the challenges and logistics associated with such. Anyone with any information or interest is free to discuss or offer suggestions. Right now the group is a half elf druid, hobgoblin rogue/scout, human fighter and elf mage all 5th level.

Spells will obviously play a major role in combating the elements. I'm also interested in adventure or money making ideas for winter time play. Thanks.

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  19:02:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think 2e The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier boxed set says something about climate in the region, and 3e Frostfell maybe can help you with ideas for using winter in your game.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  00:07:50  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Silver Marches 3E book goes into great detail on climate but not what life is like in the winter. It basically says nobody does anything. I'm looking for ideas to bring the region to life for my group during the winter time.
Go to Top of Page

Ilmarinnen
Acolyte

Ukraine
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  08:20:24  Show Profile Send Ilmarinnen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last would be strange. Winter is the best season for animal hunt. In winter they have the best fur.
And of course hunters will use skis (short and broad - not like modern sportsmen wear).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  13:04:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not exactly on-topic (more on the topic's title, then the one given in the OP), but as for skis - I have always pictured them used extensively in Sossal. Not so much in The North. In fact, MY Sossal is loosely based on Frigia from Flash Gordon - Here's a pic. I doubt folks skiing in The North look anything like that, though.

From what little I know, trapping and chopping firewood are two 'outdoors' things. Ice-fishing is another possibility. Also, folks get a lot of their 'home-maintenance' type stuff done during this time: mending clothes, furniture, etc. Also making new version of such (a farmer isn't going to make himself a rocking chair during the planting/harvesting seasons). As for non-humans - the climate would only effect trade to and from Dwarven communities, otherwise it would have little effect on them. Elves would be the most effected, and probably do a lot of meditation (revery) and studying.

In a fantasy setting, monsters are more likely to attack during the winter months, when game and foraging becomes scarce. Even more mundane threats - like wolves - become a worry.

I picture The North being a lot like Canada, so Ed Greenwood would be the person to talk to (considering his double-expertise on the subject matter).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Dec 2013 13:13:50
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  17:38:08  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine that winter in the silver marches would be a hunting/gathering season. Not much outdoors.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  18:31:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine that in cities and towns, there would be more social gatherings during the winter. They've got more time for it, and less alternative stuff to do...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  20:00:49  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They will gather in the townhall and drink to death. It's winter, what you gonna do?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  21:06:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blink*

SirUrza: "hunting/gathering season" is defiantly outside activity. The gather of nuts, game, roots, leaves, fuel wood and so on. Clearly an out door activity. The use of sleds, skies or snow shoes clearly would be employed after a snow or ice situation occurred and those were available.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  01:13:54  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about adventuring in the winter? I'd imagine that tracking down an orc hideout in the dead of winter would be a MUCH different experience than in the summer adventuring season. What are my PCs supposed to do all winter to make gold? Trap? Ice fish? Drink?? BORING

How about some good adventuring ideas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  04:06:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You snap your fingers and its Spring.

As for a great plot-hook, how about Cloven Hoof-prints in the snow. I've always loved that event, but have never used it in a game.

Also, as I've said before, monsters are more active in winter months, simply because food becomes scarce. This would include humanoids, like Orcs, gnolls, and goblinoids (so hearing about a few local farms burned and all the people and livestock gone-missing would also work quite well).

Underdark races are not effected by snow, so they could also become a good threat (because they know surface folk loose contact with each other in the dead of winter). You could always throw Yeti or a wendigo at them, or even Grendel. You could even go the '30 days of night' route with some undead.

For horror, there is The Thing, and for something a little more light-hearted, you could attack them with Gremlins (or any other nasty little beastie). If you like folklore, you could use the Krampus or some tomte. And for the Cthulhu lovers out there, let us not forget Ithaqua - Lord of the frozen wastes.

You also have your grinches, and diabolical snowmen.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  04:52:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

What about adventuring in the winter? I'd imagine that tracking down an orc hideout in the dead of winter would be a MUCH different experience than in the summer adventuring season. What are my PCs supposed to do all winter to make gold? Trap? Ice fish? Drink?? BORING

How about some good adventuring ideas

Make it a lot colder than normal, and have some normally arctic critters pop into the neighborhood. Perhaps these arctic critters could be fleeing some dire threat to the far north, which the PCs eventually have to stop.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  14:23:10  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You snap your fingers and its Spring.

As for a great plot-hook, how about Cloven Hoof-prints in the snow. I've always loved that event, but have never used it in a game.

Also, as I've said before, monsters are more active in winter months, simply because food becomes scarce. This would include humanoids, like Orcs, gnolls, and goblinoids (so hearing about a few local farms burned and all the people and livestock gone-missing would also work quite well).

Underdark races are not effected by snow, so they could also become a good threat (because they know surface folk loose contact with each other in the dead of winter). You could always throw Yeti or a wendigo at them, or even Grendel. You could even go the '30 days of night' route with some undead.

For horror, there is The Thing, and for something a little more light-hearted, you could attack them with Gremlins (or any other nasty little beastie). If you like folklore, you could use the Krampus or some tomte. And for the Cthulhu lovers out there, let us not forget Ithaqua - Lord of the frozen wastes.

You also have your grinches, and diabolical snowmen.

That's a fabulous idea to introduce the Underdark to my players.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  23:27:30  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This site may have the collection of the best Forgotten Realms DMs in the world. Help me add some flavor to the winter season.

What are some common activities during the winter? Are there any Realm specific festivals/holidays etc that would be fun to role play for a group during winter?

What is transportation like? The books don't really mention sleds and sled dogs. Are horses with sleds common? Skis?

If the rivers freeze solid how are they traveled? Sleds with horses?

Since most all the fruit and vegetables are out of season by winter time, how does that impact the local food?

I like to go into great detail about what the food is, the changing of the seasons and how that effects every day life. Do animals migrate? Are certain groups more active in winter (Worshippers of Auril?) etc?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  01:40:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well local food supply is based on how much food was stored for the winter, grains, nuts, often dried fruits, roots (potatoes type roots), jerked, salted or smoked meats and so on. What is stored depends some on the region, also it appears likely that canned goods, jelly, pickles goods and many other ways to store food. Look back maybe even 200 years in history to see how food was stored for winters and odds are good such are used at least in parts of the Realms. There of course is also magic food should the winter extend too long or is too harsh. Add to the food supply of hunting for deer, rabbits, rothe, etc. There tends to be enough food stored for most to live though the winter.

Transportation clearly depends on region and quality of roads or trails. Clearly wagons and carts could still be used if snow cover not too deep or cleared away by shovel. Basic core rules indicate sleighs horse or mule pulled, there is also indicated dog sleds. I can easily see snow shoes used for those that need to travel on deep snow. Skis appears to have existed on Earth for over 2000 years so it appears likely such exist in the realms as well. As to lakes and rivers freezing it depends, there clearly is not set rule. It depends on how cold it gets, how large a water body is and even how fast the water flows.

Common activities during winter include, hunting, trapping, gather of fuel wood, guarding domestic animals from wolves, bears, goblins, kobolds or other raiders that prefer to raid rather then store food or wood.

Some animals clearly might travel away from the cold, the answer to this is about the same it depends on the animal. Many winter in place others travel based of conditions.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  01:51:39  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose the recreational part of it fits into the 'role playing' aspect of the campaign, takes them away from killing and adventuring. But tis true, hunting would be the best thing to do during this time of the year.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  02:44:27  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well local food supply is based on how much food was stored for the winter, grains, nuts, often dried fruits, roots (potatoes type roots), jerked, salted or smoked meats and so on. What is stored depends some on the region, also it appears likely that canned goods, jelly, pickles goods and many other ways to store food. Look back maybe even 200 years in history to see how food was stored for winters and odds are good such are used at least in parts of the Realms. There of course is also magic food should the winter extend too long or is too harsh. Add to the food supply of hunting for deer, rabbits, rothe, etc. There tends to be enough food stored for most to live though the winter.

Transportation clearly depends on region and quality of roads or trails. Clearly wagons and carts could still be used if snow cover not too deep or cleared away by shovel. Basic core rules indicate sleighs horse or mule pulled, there is also indicated dog sleds. I can easily see snow shoes used for those that need to travel on deep snow. Skis appears to have existed on Earth for over 2000 years so it appears likely such exist in the realms as well. As to lakes and rivers freezing it depends, there clearly is not set rule. It depends on how cold it gets, how large a water body is and even how fast the water flows.

Common activities during winter include, hunting, trapping, gather of fuel wood, guarding domestic animals from wolves, bears, goblins, kobolds or other raiders that prefer to raid rather then store food or wood.

Some animals clearly might travel away from the cold, the answer to this is about the same it depends on the animal. Many winter in place others travel based of conditions.

The Savage Frontier indicates that all the areas north of the Southern High Forest get LOTS of snow with drifts up to 10 feet deep isolating communities. That to me would indicate almost no travel except snow shoes and possibly dog sleds though sleds are never mentioned in realms lore of the Silver Marches and neither are skis...at least to my knowledge.

SF also states that the rivers are frozen solid enough for wagons from Uktar to early Ches. That would seem appropriate for wagons converted to sleds pulled by draft horses.

As for role-playing, sounds like everyone just hunkers down and drinks whilst staring at the fire........

Edited by - Cards77 on 09 Dec 2013 02:46:17
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  03:10:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

As for role-playing, sounds like everyone just hunkers down and drinks whilst staring at the fire........

Well it looks like you missed hunting and guarding from raiders, however indeed most would hurdle near a fire and eat stored food and drink what they have. Cities of course clearly would have taverns, thieves, clearly political intrigue could occur as well.

There also could be recuse missions as a posibility. A runner near dead arvives at the village/town and reports that a fire distroied the food supply of an out post. Food is needed quickly if most will not die. Oh the wolves and bears have been active as well, it will not be and easy trip.

Some believe the Wizard of Haven might have caused the fire, however this is just a rumor. ;)

There are always ways to come up with roleplay, be it politics, combat or just getting enough wood for the fire and talking about future plans.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  00:48:30  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Great Glacier 2e book has some cold-based rules

speaking of skis, in Vaasa the merchants use skis/sleds in winter to caravan down frozen rivers like they are roads

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  20:25:26  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that the 2e Aurora Whole Realms' Catalogue also has skis, sleds, and other winter stuff in the wilderness gear section.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  21:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the location they are staying at is near a river/pond/body of water that freezes solid, it makes a great excuse for a Winter Faire. Merchants will try to offload anything that is near to spoiling, local nobility could sponsor games of skill like skating and singing and such. Local monsters could get wind and come in for a light snack of human legs or a local cabal could try to break the ice and sacrifice all those skaters to their cold/water/death deity of choice.

Good times.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000