Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Vaasa 1370's Version 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  08:37:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well im busy adding all the info to my document on vaasa. I dont have the novels and from what I hear about them I wont be using them either.
I really dont think much of that tree that banishes all demons. If it functions in the way you describe it is (with the exception of the imaskari godswall) the most powerful artifact in the history f the realms.
It is able to manifest a powerful high level across a range of thousands of miles on a permanent basis.
All this created by a being that may not have even benn a demigod at the time given bahamuts death during the TOT.
I think more likely that the tree had a single powerful banishing effect that ranged for several miles maybe even several hundred.
Since it's use the only continuous effect it has manifested is a psychological one that has been spread by the kingdom of damara. Peopke are having trouble summoning demons and devils because they believe the tree is stopping them, thats all.

Anyway when im finished with the document I can send it to you if you like. All the information is colour coded for each edition and non canon info is also a different colour as well.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  13:16:50  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good

Im a bahamut, tiamat fan so i enjoy any reference to them in faerun

I just make the tree-gem a target of the orcus cult, they are human followers and so can attempt to damage/destroy it, makes a good campaign

Still looking for the orcus reference about the tree-gem

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  14:47:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well even if the tree gem only had a psychological effect doesnt mean it would not make a good target.
A symbolic weapon is still an effective tool and destroying it would be an equally effective means of waging psychological warfare on an enemy.
I am likewise a big bahamut and tiamat fan. If only the lore about them wasnt so messy

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  12:15:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i have gathered together all the information i could from sourcebooks that you mentioned above.

Some decent bits of lore i missed first glance.

Looks like Zhentil Keep has had a historic interest in Vaasa, mining the Galenas, searching for the tear of selune, and looking for the magic of sarphil.

Red Wizards also have an interest there in the humanoid races - orcs goblins etc.

And the cult of the dragon have the wyrmsmoke cell hidden in the galena mountains which is an excellent base of operations for them. And since the keep itself floats they can move anywhere.

Plenty of extra plots and ploys for the region. I even found a plant with painkilling properties in the nearby tortured lands (on the candlekeep travelogs) which i think would generate a good income for the cult of the dragon as a narcotic they could sell.

Cult of Eltab gets a good fleshing out, and they work against the red wizards of thay and cult of orcus.

Cult of Orcus is in contention with the cult of eltab, the church of kiaransalee, and probably everyone else in Vaasa.

Lots of intrigue going on and things for me to write up. Nearly done though, just need to work on the timeline for the document and it's finished.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  13:31:30  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in my vaasa campaign

the church of tiamat based in the temple in castle perilous is waiting for the damarans to complete the vaasan and damaran gates so that they then can take bloodstone pass from the sky (dragons) and then make bloodstone pass their new base of operations

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  09:25:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just adding the finishing touches to my Vaasan campaign, thanks to the extra information from Coach.

The timeline has now been altered only slightly.

The main changes involve the organnisations in Vaasa. There are now many more factions vying for a piece of Vaasa and they are all working against one another. Quite unique to Vaasa all the organisations involved are evil which i think fits the region quite nicely. The Harpers have a miniscule role and their reason for being their soon disappears with the Rage of Dragons.

The Red Wizards and the Church of Tiamat now exist separately in Vaasa.

The church of tiamat is based around castle perilous and the avatar of the undying queen.

The Red Wizards i linked their diplomatic envoys to Zhengyi with his backstory so now the Thayans are trying to find out what Zhengyi was doing in Vaasa. In discovering a tome of creation penned by Zhengyi they learn about Telos and set out to find this primordial.

It is then a group of red wizards who are slain by Telos and one of their number is converted into the Voice of Telos.

Also reworked the Zhentarim motivation for being in Vaasa and linked it to their troubles. The fall of Zhentil Keep, the death of Manshoon and Fzoul's deal with Khelben cause the Zhentarim to refocus their efforts eastwards and because Vaasa has no government to deal with it makes a very tempting target.

Thanks to Zhentil Keeps secret alliance with Mulmaster they gain access to Vaasa through Garumn's Climb without opposition.

The Cult of the Dragon is now much more fleshed out. The Wyrmsmoke Cell is responsible for the Moonsea and Vaasa and is involved in a narcotics ring to generate money and gain power in the settlements. The Cult of the Dragon form the underground black market in Vaasa.

Next i will redo the major settlements and geographics of Vaasa and the NPCS.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  14:12:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now the characters and locations have been redone.

All this is on page 1 (i think)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Fallere
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  18:38:16  Show Profile Send Fallere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

E. Economics/Trade
1. Bloodstone – 90% Toril output from Vaasa/Damara (VGM p37,126)
a. Used as a coagulant (VGM p38) (Dragon #248 p44)
b. Used as an invisibility/divination/weather magic component (VGM p37-38) (Dragon #248 p44)
2. Trade routes and mountain passes into and out of Vaasa
a. Deadman Pass [connects Vaasa to The Ride] (RoS p94)
b. Garumn’s Climb [connects Vaasa to Thar] listed as Gramble‘s Climb on FR9 map (FR9) - Glister is on the Thar side of this mountain pass and is a trading post between Vaasa and Thar (CotR p46)
c. Unnamed subsurface tunnels [connect Thar to Vaasa/Damara] (PGFR p120-125)
d. Bloodstone Pass [connects Vaasa to Damara] (FRCS p107) (FR9 p9-10,26,32) (H1 10-30) maps (H1 p12) (H2 inside cover) (H3 inside cover)
e. The High Walk [connects Vaasa to Damara] (FR9 p34)
f. Skelem to Darmshall (MotM)
3. Roads in Vaasa (RoS p94)
a. "Roads" through the bogs are made from split logs stacked horizontally (RoS p94)
b. Dead Man’s Walk (FR9 map)
i. Road that runs beside the Beaumaris River (FR9 map)
ii. Road forks at base of Deadman’s Pass (RoS p94)
4. Exports: Gems, furs (FRCS p88,109) (Dragon #137 p17 [prices of furs])
a. Mountains are rich in metals and gems (FRCS p109)
5. Imports: Food, weapons (FRCS p109)
6. Palischuk Half-orcs trade peacefully with neighbors (RoF p68)
7. Vaasans are hard bargainers (Summ p117)

I was trying to find the source book for some of the information in this post. Does RoS stand for Races of Stone? or some other source book or novel?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  20:32:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, how times change in 2 years, I forgot I'd written most of this.

Unfortunately I have no idea what RoS stands for, I'd guess it's a novel because I checked all my sourcebooks and it doesn't match an acronym for any of the initials (and I think I have them all)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2015 :  02:53:52  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fallere

quote:
Originally posted by coach

E. Economics/Trade
1. Bloodstone – 90% Toril output from Vaasa/Damara (VGM p37,126)
a. Used as a coagulant (VGM p38) (Dragon #248 p44)
b. Used as an invisibility/divination/weather magic component (VGM p37-38) (Dragon #248 p44)
2. Trade routes and mountain passes into and out of Vaasa
a. Deadman Pass [connects Vaasa to The Ride] (RoS p94)
b. Garumn’s Climb [connects Vaasa to Thar] listed as Gramble‘s Climb on FR9 map (FR9) - Glister is on the Thar side of this mountain pass and is a trading post between Vaasa and Thar (CotR p46)
c. Unnamed subsurface tunnels [connect Thar to Vaasa/Damara] (PGFR p120-125)
d. Bloodstone Pass [connects Vaasa to Damara] (FRCS p107) (FR9 p9-10,26,32) (H1 10-30) maps (H1 p12) (H2 inside cover) (H3 inside cover)
e. The High Walk [connects Vaasa to Damara] (FR9 p34)
f. Skelem to Darmshall (MotM)
3. Roads in Vaasa (RoS p94)
a. "Roads" through the bogs are made from split logs stacked horizontally (RoS p94)
b. Dead Man’s Walk (FR9 map)
i. Road that runs beside the Beaumaris River (FR9 map)
ii. Road forks at base of Deadman’s Pass (RoS p94)
4. Exports: Gems, furs (FRCS p88,109) (Dragon #137 p17 [prices of furs])
a. Mountains are rich in metals and gems (FRCS p109)
5. Imports: Food, weapons (FRCS p109)
6. Palischuk Half-orcs trade peacefully with neighbors (RoF p68)
7. Vaasans are hard bargainers (Summ p117)

I was trying to find the source book for some of the information in this post. Does RoS stand for Races of Stone? or some other source book or novel?

Realms of Shadow

novel

collection of short stories

how goes the project?

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2015 :  06:26:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which project, I turned this into part of my alternate dimensions project where I am now essentially writing mini sourcebooks on different regions, next is netheril.

I've also just finished writing my own set of rules that I hope to be able to sell soon.

And when I'm not doing those I'm still gathering all the lore I can for my archive.

I might even come back to Vaasa and damara one day and do a sourcebook for it. Gareth dragons bane and co would have to go though

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2015 :  17:21:04  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where would they go?

you mean you advance the timeline?

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2015 :  17:51:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would do with damara and Vaasa what I did with the moonshaes. I'd start at 1340 ish, include the major events like war with the witch king, but everything else would be novel independent.
So the events in zhengyis war would be different. Gareth dragons bane would be no more. Instead Christine tranth and her dad would take centre stage. The title dragonsbane would be given for the one who stops Tiamat, and I'd basically redo the whole thing so that Dms can run the campaign for their players.

Novels determining events and using up plot lines are a big annoyance for me so I try and write them out of a region wherever I can

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2015 :  18:30:33  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
gotcha

although i'd point out that gareth and co were never the basis of any novels

RA Salvatore did post a sourcebook on them and threw them in tangentially into one of his Artemis novels, but he took the majority of his info from Douglas Niles who had the Bloodstone canon modules from the 1980's

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2015 :  20:02:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I thought with names that bad they had to come from a novel.

Ah well, I like the idea of a war with a being called the witch king. I'd just have done it differently. And I still can't figure out why Tiamat or Bahamut were in there at all.

I guess its because the modules weren't supposed to be in the realms to begin with that I'm none to fond of them. I'd prefer to do them again from the ground up and link them to regions around them (which I already did in my alternate dimensions project).

It'd just be a case of collating everything and adding a ton of more detail to make a big sourcebook like document to act as a campaign setting in Damara and Vaasa.

If only I had unlimited time and a money tree.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2015 :  23:44:27  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i hear ya

the war and the witchking are canon obviously

i think the reason the module seems out of place is that TSR wanted to make a module for their new (at the time) Battlesystems boxed set AND make a high level mod to accompany (the module actually states for levels 18-100)

Dragonsbane and company were actually the pre-made PCs in the back of the module

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000