Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Demon Weave Investigation
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  00:10:14  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So the Demon weave as far as it goes for Faerun, is a rather obscure knowledge hunt, unless you got in on the limited time it was around. I am planning to spend some time this week, finding what I can knowledge wise, and dig up lil jewels of possible realms lore that matter.

If you have anything to contribute, please feel free.

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  10:27:30  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm watching this thread!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  11:24:28  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An admirable goal. If I have time, I'll try to find something too but I only recently got my hands on a copy of City of Intrigue.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  19:03:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Afaik, it ended very poorly for Lolth. A bunch of adventurers aided by Mystra got rid of her plan. I believe that WotC didn't publish anything else besides those novels about the gathering of artifacts to build the Demon Weave.

Good luck in finding the info you want, tho.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  19:09:43  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what are those novels?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  20:08:16  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were some novels which should have been released with the Rise of the Underdark thingy. I've looked on the Wizards website, and it appears that only two related books were released: ''Spinner of Lies'' and ''Prince of Ravens''. They involve drow and are set during that event, however I'm not sure whether they feature it as one of the main points in the story. I recall that other books directly involving the artifact hunt should have been published, but I guess that they were cancelled.

Sorry about my lack of precision in the previous post, but I didn't really care about this storyline, so I didn't bother to get the details..

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  20:22:30  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah me neither but just wondered if there was a new drow trilogy or something about it.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  21:23:46  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prince of Ravens has absolutely nothing to do with gathering artifacts it is about the Drow mythal under the City of Ravens Bluff. It is not clear in the book (from my reading of it) how (if at all) the mythal relates to the rebuilding of the Demon Weave.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2013 :  02:15:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that. The book is listed under the Underdark event category (the cover has the symbol they were using for it), so I thought it had something to do with it.

Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2013 :  19:08:02  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need to apologize - I picked it up because it is part of the Rise of the Underdark collection or the former Rise of the Underdark collection not sure which is correct. As I was looking for information on the Demon Weave. Fortunately, at least imho it is a very good read.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  23:14:41  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the demon weave was nothing more than a publicity stunt to get in our pockets! Im glad I read this before I bought any of it.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  18:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rise of the Underdark wasn't really a novel event. A few novels; Spinner of Lies, Prince of Ravens, and the latter two books in the Neverwinter Saga touch on it, but ultimately it was a game event, played out over the board game.

I think a lot of FR fans forget that, as far as WotC is concerned, the Realms is first and foremost a setting for Dungeons and Dragons. The novels are, generally speaking, secondary to that.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  18:55:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

So the demon weave was nothing more than a publicity stunt to get in our pockets! Im glad I read this before I bought any of it.

Companies exist to make money.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  02:28:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

Companies exist to make money.

That, and I do believe Wizards when they claimed that this was an experiment for them in both story-telling and marketing.

So we can't really fault them for trying something new, either. It's also what companies like to do. It helps them to stay competitive in a very aggressive RPG consumer market.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  04:43:48  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC has given us a lot of great things over the years, but I've noticed they'll start an idea, release products/novels about it, and then suddenly say "never mind".

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  15:20:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They also tend to beat a horse long after it is dead, decayed and desiccated. :D
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  16:24:57  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy zombie post, batman.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  16:46:12  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol - I don't know why that one came up for me - I must have stumbled on a link to it from somewhere :P I guess I just needed to beat THAT dead horse a bit lol.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  18:21:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

lol - I don't know why that one came up for me - I must have stumbled on a link to it from somewhere :P I guess I just needed to beat THAT dead horse a bit lol.

I'm glad you realized the irony of your comment, because I was about to have fun with it!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  22:47:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have fun beating a dead, decayed, and dessicated zombie horse?

You have strange ideas about fun, mister Wooly.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  04:23:15  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^ Nightmare. Hell steed. Hellion stallion?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  05:08:24  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlos

Prince of Ravens has absolutely nothing to do with gathering artifacts it is about the Drow mythal under the City of Ravens Bluff. It is not clear in the book (from my reading of it) how (if at all) the mythal relates to the rebuilding of the Demon Weave.

Since this was bumped up...

I was under the impression that the "artifact" these drow were gathering for Lolth was the said mythal.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  11:21:43  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing I like most about the Demon Weave is that it provides a perfect excuse to run D1 Descent into the Depths, D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, and D3 Vault of the Drow in the Realms.

It was also the perfect RSE in that it had no effect on the Realms and didn't spawn too many terrible novels. It's easy enough to ignore it OR incorporate it. I like that.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  23:07:51  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this over in the Sages forum earlier:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Demon_Weave

Like I typed over there, I doubt this is everything but it should be interesting.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  03:02:40  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that the Rise of the Underdark event novel line was cut prematurely because they shifted gears for 5E? I suppose it's possible it wasn't panning out, but drow do sell, so I don't know. Hmm.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  04:16:19  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did read one novel, but don't remember the name, it took place in a dwarven stronghold. King Mithbarak the Clanless was roused to defeat the drow using some sort of enchanted sphere. Spider and Stone, maybe?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  05:07:29  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I did read one novel, but don't remember the name, it took place in a dwarven stronghold. King Mithbarak the Clanless was roused to defeat the drow using some sort of enchanted sphere. Spider and Stone, maybe?

Yes, I believe that was Spider and Stone. Drow never seem to learn their lesson about messing with dwarves, do they?
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  05:28:31  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GOOD JOB!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000