Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How many genocides were committed by Elves in FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  22:56:22  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message
I believe it was only because of these terrible acts of the past,that the elven race learned to be good

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  18:54:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

oh and btw still a war machine that needed to be stop and would have had it coming anyway imo

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

. . . And here's Ed's next reply, this time to sf dragon, re. this: "I have a hypothetical question for Ed. If he had chose to do it instead, how would he had Jhaamdath been if it was to continue as a war machine instead of having it wiped out into undeath?"
Ed replies:

Ah, hypotheticals. If I had three or four lifetimes to spare, I could REALLY dig into these. ;
I have always thought that if Jhaamdath had avoided the fate that befell it, that culture would have made the Napoleonic/Hitlerian mistake of expanding too fast by violent means, taking on too many foes at once, ending up beset on too many fronts at once - - and collapsing. I have in the past dropped some very subtle hints in this regard, by noting who their inevitable foes would be, if they expanded far enough (and as a game designer, I always want a setting to have a variety of opposed powers, purely because it makes for more interesting and varied adventure opportunities).

So saith Ed. Who's on a roll this morning (well, it's still morning here as I type this), and has yet another reply up his sleeve...
love,
THO

I see the conclusion as exact opposite to your statement.
So, Jhaamdath already overextended, grabbing more than it can hold if anyone strong came knocking, and of course making enemies in process. Then they had a coup. The new bosses made themselves less than popular and while already suppressing rebellions here and there, tried to... start a "little victorious war". We all know how this tend to end, don't we? Collecting wood for said war provoked the final attack from Elves.
A mundane analogy would be: petty thug swindles his way into becoming a landlord of his house, which at this point is not a property anyone would buy to keep as is, then gets drunk, beats up his (also less than timid) family and tenants, climbs onto a lame stool, puts a noose on his neck and then starts to blindly shoot at his neighbour's windows, his stool wobbling from recoil... so the neighbour decides that since he's upwind, may as well firebomb the whole house and nevermind if a next one or two will be caught in. It's not like the situation doesn't call for some responce, it's just that this particular one managed to get even more insane.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  19:51:26  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
ummm no, Jhaamdath was like nazi germany, and they also slew elves before that..... and if not done by the elves, jhaamdath would have fallen into defeat by its neighbors.

furthermore, it is evil enough when good people do nothing. Nobody in Jhaamdath was innocent.

can we please dipose of this scroll.

scroll necromancy is fround apon by Lord LArloch

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  20:28:47  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message
quote:

ummm no, Jhaamdath was like nazi germany, and they also slew elves before that..... and if not done by the elves, jhaamdath would have fallen into defeat by its neighbors.

furthermore, it is evil enough when good people do nothing. Nobody in Jhaamdath was innocent.

Whoa whoa whoa!!! How do you make the assertion that NOBODY in Jhaamdath was innocent? No society is ever completely homogenous in thought. So there were inevitably some citizens of Jhaamdath who were against expansion, and against the mistreatment of elves.

But of course, not everyone in society has equal influence. This is particularly true of the Realms societies, which are almost all monarchies, oligarchies, or theocracies. So those supporting a different vision for Jhaamdath may have been swept aside by an opposition that was more numerous or more politically powerful.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  20:38:54  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message
My issue with the elves relates to the tale of "Karsus's Folly". Apparently, after 1 mage did something stupid, Mystra decided that nobody could ever be trusted with magic beyond a certain level (except for gods, who don't make any wiser decisions than mortals do with powerful magic).

On top of that, I recall reading (though I forget where) about how the elves withdrew from tutoring humans in magic due to the Fall of Netheril. They took the disaster Karsus caused as proof that human could not be trusted with powerful magic, due to their lack of wisdom.

But the elves have committed MULTIPLE heinous offenses with high magic. They have wiped out whole civilizations and altered the structure of Toril. Yet Corellon never decides that the elves are too reckless with high magic? You would think he'd cap the high magic spells at a certain level, at least, the way Mystra did. Having spells out there that allow elves (and even drow!!) to erase gods from memory seems like a stupid move on Corellon's part.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  01:53:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:

Whoa whoa whoa!!! How do you make the assertion that NOBODY in Jhaamdath was innocent? No society is ever completely homogenous in thought. So there were inevitably some citizens of Jhaamdath who were against expansion, and against the mistreatment of elves.

But of course, not everyone in society has equal influence. This is particularly true of the Realms societies, which are almost all monarchies, oligarchies, or theocracies. So those supporting a different vision for Jhaamdath may have been swept aside by an opposition that was more numerous or more politically powerful.

and are you going to tell me that every child during hitler's reign was innocent?

not so, read up on Hitler's youth....
here is the wiki short on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Youth

like nazi germany in all things.

as for the high magic thing, well the elves themselves have stated that they had to contemplate the after effects of its usage, so even it was regulated.

btw remember what it said about elves, that they reply with some thing with disdain and in kind when it comes to violence.

a fr elf tells you not to do something in their territory , are you going to ignore them and blindly do what you're told to do by your city's leaders?

I said it once, Ill say it again. Jhaamdath had it coming and long before then.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  03:17:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Just a friendly Mod-warn:-

Less real-world discussion, more Realms chatter... please.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  07:27:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
when people stop bringing up elven war crimes and Jhaamdath being innocent.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  17:37:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:

My issue with the elves relates to the tale of "Karsus's Folly". Apparently, after 1 mage did something stupid, Mystra decided that nobody could ever be trusted with magic beyond a certain level (except for gods, who don't make any wiser decisions than mortals do with powerful magic).
Mystra decided that the Weave simply can't afford it. Note how some other limitations weren't in place until after the fall of Myth Drannor.
quote:
On top of that, I recall reading (though I forget where) about how the elves withdrew from tutoring humans in magic due to the Fall of Netheril.
This would imply they tried it more often before this point, and there's not enough of evidence. It looks more like elves are rarely inclined to see humans as magic-adept enough or equal at all, until proven otherwise. Netherese were tutored by Eaerlanni elves early on, but after a boost from Nether Scrolls abandoned them... with much the same amiable-yet-dismissive attitude, apparently.
quote:
But the elves have committed MULTIPLE heinous offenses with high magic. They have wiped out whole civilizations and altered the structure of Toril. Yet Corellon never decides that the elves are too reckless with high magic?
The whole point? Seldarine are molly-coddling elves whenever they mess up, which doesn't encourage being more careful the next time, and that's why the Elves remain eternal morons. And will corner themselves into need for another divine intervention - be it fixing "little side effects" from creation of Evermeet, grand finale of Crown Wars (at least twice), crushing Borka, you name it. Of course, being childish is why elves sit around and look into Seldarine mouths, which keeps the latter strong enough to pull such stunts as needed. So it kind of does "work" for them...
But not in the long run - the choice between indulging in oblivious narcissism, throwing a temper-tantrum or leaving the playground to pout in a tree tend to leave them no options for a meaningful reaction or adaption to the rest of the Multiverse, thus they can't compete with e.g. orcs or humans.
quote:
Having spells out there that allow elves (and even drow!!) to erase gods from memory seems like a stupid move on Corellon's part.
(poking the spigot with a mouth-pick) That fraction of flamebait goes to a different barrel.

Edited by - TBeholder on 28 Jun 2014 15:17:36
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  15:57:02  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
Elven high magic is not as straining on the weave as raw epic level casting the Netherese used. Usually the acces energy needed to cast high magic is taken from the life force of an elven high mage (usually consuming its life entirely).

The Seldarine are mostly good aligned because of Corellon and Sehanine. It has a fair share of more neutral gods, and it's evil aligned gods rebelled and formed around Lolth. But its clear all have the potential for evil actions. Corellon is unlikely to fall that far, but for example Fenmarel Mestarine and Shevarash have both committed clearly evil actions frequently (one is even like a proper god of genocide!).

Corellon does seem to a trust his people with high magic on all worlds the elves wander to. He probably gives his blessings to elven high magic castings because he percieves the elves need all the help they can, given their territories on most worlds are dwindling. His major portfolio as 'guardian of the elven people' is clearly empowered if he allows elven high magic use for defensive purposes. A good aligned god of war is capable of commiting or condoning genocide (and I think quite often too) if such is possible with the tools of its portfolio and not acted upon with restraint and moderation. Corellon could have ordered his race on a multiversal conquest to rule all the prime planes with their high magic war machine, but he actually tends to limit high magic use for defence: raising living crystal fortresses, mythals and passageways between elven realms. His actions on Toril seem more reckless then usual, as it is the world were he condemned his race into two. He is still largely good aligned because of his restraint and his generally positive view of progress for Faerun as a whole (pratly because it houses a bit of his home turf in Evermeet).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 07 Feb 2014 15:59:12
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  12:09:11  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by carbos
I take it most people didn't read Silmarillion, with Noldors commiting one massacre after another or even Hobbit where Elves of Mirkwood show up to loot lone Mountain.

Only replying to this question on Tolkien elves, I met my brother, who is much more a Tolkien fan and expert than me, and he told me the Noldor are cursed. Doing a little research, I found this:

"The Noldor led by Fëanor demanded that the Teleri let them use their ships. When the Teleri refused, they took the ships by force, committing the first kinslaying. A messenger from the Valar came later and delivered the Prophecy of the North, pronouncing Doom on the Noldor for the Kinslaying and rebellion and warning that if they proceeded they would not recover the Silmarils and moreover that they all will be slain or tormented by grief. At this, some of the Noldor who had no hand in the Kinslaying, including Finarfin son of Finwë and Indis, returned to Valinor, and the Valar forgave them. Other Noldor led by Fingolfin (some of whom were blameless in the Kinslaying) remained determined to leave Valinor for Middle-earth. Prominent among these others was Finarfin's son, Finrod. The Noldor led by Fëanor crossed the sea to Middle-earth, leaving those led by Fingolfin, his half-brother, behind. Upon his arrival in Middle-earth, Fëanor had the ships burned. When the Noldor led by Fingolfin discovered their betrayal, they went farther north and crossed the sea at the Grinding Ice which cost them many lives."

And remember Fëanor is the elf who was fooled into forging the One Ring. Well, since Tolkien doesn't have drow, maybe they would be the closer race to Dark elves by the D&D perspective.

Besides, as I said before, Mirkwood elves are generally identified with Wood Elves, who were neutral in the original AD&D settings.

As a Tolkein fan myself I hope you don't mind if I butt in however the Noldor are not really the dark elves of Middle Earth. Yes they are indeed cursed especially the sons of Feanor and their followers but some of the most noble and beloved elven characters such as Galadriel are Noldor. They could be considered the closet approximation to dark elves I guess but the actual fallen elves in Middle earth are the orcs, their dark cousins who were corrupted by Morgoth.
The ones who are actually referred to as being dark elves are the Avari, those who were unwilling to follow the Valar. They resemble the wild elves of the realms.
Also Feanor did not make the one ring Sauron did. Feanor was long dead at that point. You might be referring to the fact that his grandson Celebrimbor was the one who created all of the other 19 rings of power. Including the ones worn by the Nazgul.

Edited by - Thauranil on 08 Feb 2014 12:13:10
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  10:00:23  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

The Seldarine are mostly good aligned because of Corellon and Sehanine. It has a fair share of more neutral gods, and it's evil aligned gods rebelled and formed around Lolth. But its clear all have the potential for evil actions. Corellon is unlikely to fall that far
Corellon is also the epitome of elven "don't know where to stop", however. There was at least one legend about Corellon going overboard on some mortal elf for going overboard and Hanali having to demonstrate this to him.
quote:
Corellon does seem to a trust his people with high magic on all worlds the elves wander to. He probably gives his blessings to elven high magic castings because he percieves the elves need all the help they can, given their territories on most worlds are dwindling.
The problem is, it was all the rage before elves got such problems.
quote:
A good aligned god of war is capable of commiting or condoning genocide (and I think quite often too) if such is possible with the tools of its portfolio and not acted upon with restraint and moderation. Corellon could have ordered his race on a multiversal conquest to rule all the prime planes with their high magic war machine, but
But they're not the ones growing mushrooms.
Not that e.g. Elven Imperial Navy wouldn't try, but even they understand that conquering and holding anything means ground armies, and their resources collected from everywhere are still not enough for this task - hence shattering of Borka.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  12:56:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

Elves are good aligned because they're pretty. It's almost always the case in D&D that those who are "pretty" are good, while those that are "ugly" are evil and "monstrous". Use this as a general guideline, and you'll almost never go wrong when it comes to guessing somethings alignment.

SOOO not the case. There are countless races that counter this. Excluding undead and what are now called "aberations" most evil races are physically attractive. just go through you MC if you doubt that.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  13:02:09  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:

I've always found it hypocritical that a) the elves are considered a "goodly" race, and b) humans are pegged as the ones who get corrupted by power and use magic irresponsibly. The elves are single handedly more responsible for causing trouble than orcs, bugbears, beholders, or other creatures that get killed on sight. And those are just the NICE elves. When you factor in the drow and fey'ri, maybe the Northmen have it right with their wariness of elves.

I would definitely say this is not the case in D&D. D&D is not Tolkien no matter how heavily his work influenced fantasy :P. D&D elves are a primary player character race, just like humans. This means that they can be of ANY alignment. As for your b) that is the general topic of Elminster in Myth Drannor if you've not yet read it.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  13:13:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
As far as the Dark Disaster is concerned - it is called that by ELVES. The culprits were the Vyshan, whom elves regard as monsters. I hate doing it but the best comparison I can think of is Nazi Germany. Their genocidal acts are viewed with shock and horror. The elves still hold on to that horror many thousands of years later. That would be like us being horrified about humans wiping out Nenderthals.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  13:22:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Miyeritari were FAR from being Neanderthals. Their culture, arts and magic rivaled Aryvandaar's, which is why the latter wanted to conquer them (or have I misunderstood you?)

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 29 Jun 2014 13:29:53
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  14:00:47  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Believe it or not, the brain basin of the neandethal's skull suggests that they were equally intelligent, or possibly even more so than their human contemporaries... Really I was just comparing the time elapsed though :P

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  14:04:01  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Oh, ok. I wasn't talking about intelligence though, but about development. They are related ofc, but not the same.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  02:20:56  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

SOOO not the case. There are countless races that counter this. Excluding undead and what are now called "aberations" most evil races are physically attractive. just go through you MC if you doubt that.

Uh, are goblinoids, Derro or Sahuagin "physically attractive"? Well, it's a matter of taste, of course, but...
It is, indeed, about "goodness is cuteness".

And speaking of "aberrations", the only meaningful difference between them and "magical beasts" usually is exactly this: that the latter are ones perceived as more cute by the designer(s). Both are laughably ill-defined, so it's left up to the second toe on the left foot.

Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  14:36:31  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message
http://i.imgur.com/nmtZQEV.jpg

Edited by - Roseweave on 29 Aug 2014 14:37:54
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  07:19:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I do hate this thread... even more so since it pops up from time to time after not being posted in for weeks and months at a time.....( sometimes a year)

not all elves in the realms are evil. get over it

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  17:50:21  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message
Well if the elves did not mess up the realms would be a totally different place and NOT for the better.
What if the crown wars didn't happen, all of Faerun would be elven kingdoms, we would be introduced to it by Elminstrilililililieyyl:
"Ahhhh, this is Faerun, and all of these are the lands of The People... oh and there is that little pigsty of place near Zakhara in the south where humans, dwarves, gnomes and halflings live A-ha-ha-ha.... silly not peoples."

And we wouldn't have drow, and drow are cool, we woudn't have so many novels about them if they weren't.

It's just Jhaamdath that I'd like to have remained but one can't have everything.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  18:53:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Jhaamdath would have fallen in on itself or at the hands of its neighbors no matter what regardless if the Sun elves didn't mess up the realms.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  20:42:32  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message
Well, I don't agree that elves are more evil than most races, but they do sometimes may overdo some stuff, as with Jhaamadath. Jhaamadath became so increadibly agressive only after a coup d'état in #8211;276 DR, dissolves the psiocracy, and one powerful psion named himself an emperor. I think there could be other ways to end this conflict, but still, elves had to think first about themselves, so it's hard to blame either side. There did die a lot of innocents, probably wanting to return to the more peacefull psiocracy, but the elves themselves were pushed up to the wall.

There also is a question if Leshay are trully elves, or not. They did work a bit with Imaskari, but I don't remember anything about them helping them direcly in abducting other peoples. The LeShay could also destroy the previous multierse somehow, but that's also ambigous and uncertain.

Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  21:23:58  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message
Oh, I'm not saying the elves are evil, like I said their successes and mistakes are an integral part of the realms, but I can't help but be a little biased when it comes to Jhaamdath. I've always liked psionics and when that nation got retconed to a psiocracy from the earlier magical empire I really loved the new lore it received and it quickly became one of my favorite places in the realms. Hopefully now that FR is the official setting, when the psionics materials arrive we will get more info on psionics in the realms/vilhon reach (which is one of my favorite places in the realms) and about Jhaamdath and what their relations with the elves actually were, you know before the coup the war and everything.
What I don't get is how five high-mages managed to wipe the twelve cities of the sword out and that sea-elven kingdom with them as well to top it off. I mean it took so many people just to raise that mythal in Myth Dranor that affected a single city, these five guys made a killer tsunami.

Edited by - eeorey on 30 Aug 2014 21:24:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  01:51:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

What I don't get is how five high-mages managed to wipe the twelve cities of the sword out and that sea-elven kingdom with them as well to top it off. I mean it took so many people just to raise that mythal in Myth Dranor that affected a single city, these five guys made a killer tsunami.

The Killing Wave was essentially a very souped up version of a move water spell. It's an existing spell with a very limited duration. A mythal, on the other hand, provides a living, ongoing shell that continuously offers a variety of effects, over a large area, and with a basically unlimited duration. Those are two entirely separate beasts -- it's like comparing a red dragon to a garden snake.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  03:13:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Elves are true monsters...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  12:09:57  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir
People usually complain about the perfectness on Tolkien's elves. In fact, most of them are too good to be true, because Tolkien drank on the mythical elves, inspiring himself also in angels (fair creatures with melodic voices, and so on). In games, there is also the question of elves threatening game balance, but this is another topic.

Feanor says hi.

So do his sons.

So does Eol.

Let's be fair, whoever said that Elves were perfect have never really read the books. Legolas all but wets himself when Durin's Bane showed up, and Sauron played the Noldor like a fiddle when he was mucking around as Annatar.

Even Thingol was a jerkass.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  15:27:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
the Le-shay are not elves, they are arch fey....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  15:38:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

Oh, I'm not saying the elves are evil, like I said their successes and mistakes are an integral part of the realms, but I can't help but be a little biased when it comes to Jhaamdath. I've always liked psionics and when that nation got retconed to a psiocracy from the earlier magical empire I really loved the new lore it received and it quickly became one of my favorite places in the realms. Hopefully now that FR is the official setting, when the psionics materials arrive we will get more info on psionics in the realms/vilhon reach (which is one of my favorite places in the realms) and about Jhaamdath and what their relations with the elves actually were, you know before the coup the war and everything.

the FR is not the official setting. It is just first out the door.

as for jhaamdath, I asked Ed in his scroll about jhaamdath, he said that it would likely have fallen in on itself or to its neighbors on all sides.

so if jhaamdath wiped out the elves, Jhaamdath would still have fallen.

blaming the elves over it when self preservation became dire is hardly genocide .....

and I doubt there was a lot of innocent in jhaamdath anyway. They likely had the my ruler lord and king has ordered me to go out and kill, S.assualt and pillage the elven kingdom, following the duty of a soldier and failing to remember the responsibility of a solider... which would be to justify the orders and his own conduct on carrying out those orders.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000