Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for a huge Dwarven city/complex map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  16:41:50  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello there,

As i'm not good at drawing, i'm looking for a map which could be used as an undermountain Dwarven city. The idea is that the city has been ruled by grey dwarves for centuries and the dwarven clan in going to fight them to get it back. Some of the PC's are from this clan so my players will be in the battle.

I have found differents maps in two books :
AD&D Dragon Mountain Adventure
LOTR - Khazad Dum

But i'm looking for other material.

If anyone has an idea about how i could find that, i would be happy to hear it.

Ammag
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  17:46:15  Show Profile Send Ammag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old Axe of the Dwarfish Lords adventure is a good one. 2nd ed, I think.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  18:37:39  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First ones that come to mind would be Dwarves Deep - a FR product set around the Great Rift.

Then I'd suggest Dwarven Kingdoms Of Krynn (A dragonlance product) and
Dwarves Of Rockhome (A old D&D Gazetteer for the world of Mystara)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  19:01:04  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's definitely a bit more freeform, but the Dungeon of Death adventure had a good way of handling PC's wandering around in mines. Instead of trying to draw it out, it had a flowchart. Each box was an encounter of some sort (monster, air vent, gas pocket, etc.), it took 1d3+3 turns of wandering through identical mine shafts to reach each box, and you checked for random monsters as they were moving through the tunnels.

It wouldn't help for large habitat levels, but every dwarven city has mines, and this is relatively painless way of dealing with something really boring.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  03:51:06  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The colorization of Fonstad's map of <Mithral Hall>

A very simplistic portrayal of <Gauntlgrym>

Side profile of <Citadel Adbar>

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  14:33:33  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeme to me we are short of good maps of the Great Rift and the cities and mines there in.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  15:41:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forge of Fury has a pretty nice dwarven hall in it and it's keyed. It's a 3.0 adventure and one that I've used. It would also be easy to add on to it in size too.
Go to Top of Page

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2013 :  16:53:30  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for your help, i will have a look there.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2013 :  19:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forge of Fury is great! Just ran it myself and it's perfect for this. It even features grey dwarves.

Edited by - Ozreth on 05 Feb 2013 19:27:42
Go to Top of Page

Ammag
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  01:38:41  Show Profile Send Ammag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! The map for Sublevel M of Undermountain (Vanrakdoom) in Expedition to Undermountain is a photocopied map of Level H of the AD&D Axe of the Dwarvish Lords adventure! Did anyone else catch that? I only noticed because I was planning on stealing it for a lost Dwarven city adventure myself!

[update -- yeah, I just looked it up. It is, and Eric Boyd's got an explanation for it]

Edited by - Ammag on 25 Feb 2013 01:54:17
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  01:56:09  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah - I was not a fan of that book much at all. The previous Undermountain products all had fantastic maps and wonderful area/monster/character descriptions. Expedition fell short in every regard. It was really more of a regurgitation for people who didn't have all the older products.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  01:58:30  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBestwick

Seeme to me we are short of good maps of the Great Rift and the cities and mines there in.

Dwarves deep maps out the great rift pretty well. It does not give anything in the way of close in maps for the structures at the various sites though.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  03:17:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 on Dwarves Deep!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  06:29:08  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ammag

Ha! The map for Sublevel M of Undermountain (Vanrakdoom) in Expedition to Undermountain is a photocopied map of Level H of the AD&D Axe of the Dwarvish Lords adventure! Did anyone else catch that? I only noticed because I was planning on stealing it for a lost Dwarven city adventure myself!

[update -- yeah, I just looked it up. It is, and Eric Boyd's got an explanation for it]

First... Well met Ammag.
Second, where would one find the Eric Boyd explanation you mentioned?

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Ammag
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  13:36:58  Show Profile Send Ammag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it in an En World thread, but it was linked to a WotC discussion thread which didn't work. Here's the quote that was given:

"There is a reason for this, which has to do with a series of decisions that happened without foreknowledge of the next opportunity.

I first mentioned Vanrak's hidden lair back in Powers & Pantheons.

For fun, I decided to write Vanrakdoom up as a web enhancement for Champions of Ruin. However, there wasn't a map budget for that project, so I picked a "random" map off the Map of the Week maps on this website and used it. By chance, the map I picked was part of Axe of the Dwarvish Lords. (I didn't realize that when I picked the map for the WE. I thought those were new maps, as it was put on the website around the time that the Maps of the Week were new maps, not maps from products with tags removed.)

Then I mentioned Vanrakdoom in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, consistent with the CoR WE.

Then, long after, we were asked to map the various levels of UM. So, Vanrakdoom now existed as described in the WE, but with a map lifted from another product."

(kind of a bummer for me, I was going to steal it for Kanaglym)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  16:48:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit late, buuuut...

Found an amazing Dwarven City map over at the Cartographer's guild (while looking for something else).

Would make an excellent Citadel Adbar as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

thebaron
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  12:31:27  Show Profile  Visit thebaron's Homepage Send thebaron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a very nice map that an old DM created for Citadel Akbar undercity, but I need huge scanner and it was drawn in pencil on a poster sized sheet of paper by hand, so it might not scan well (maybe b&w scan might help).

quote:
Originally posted by elglanto

Hello there,

As i'm not good at drawing, i'm looking for a map which could be used as an undermountain Dwarven city. The idea is that the city has been ruled by grey dwarves for centuries and the dwarven clan in going to fight them to get it back. Some of the PC's are from this clan so my players will be in the battle.

I have found differents maps in two books :
AD&D Dragon Mountain Adventure
LOTR - Khazad Dum

But i'm looking for other material.

If anyone has an idea about how i could find that, i would be happy to hear it.

Go to Top of Page

thenightgaunt
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  22:49:15  Show Profile Send thenightgaunt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't think of a good universal map, but there's a fantastic resource out there if you can find it online or in a store.
http://www.amazon.com/Dwarves-Rockhome-Dungeons-Dragons-Gazetteer/dp/0880385618
http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/47942/dwarves-rockhome

The 2nd Ed. Gazetteer Book The Dwarves of Rockhome comes with a selection of city block diagrams. The idea is that every dwarven architect/engineer is taught the plans for about 10 basic block types. So with a little variation, every park area in a dwarven city would be pretty much identical.

In practice, you copy off the blocks from the back of the book and lay them out to form the map of the city. So maybe 6 residential blocks, 1 set of the 2 palace blocks, etc...
This speeds up the process of making your own dwarven city.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000