Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Plagues of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  20:57:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I guess I feel like being macabre today. I'm looking for any/all official mentions of plagues. Magical ones count; basically anything that kills a bunch of people without involving weapons.

If you want to add something to the list, please include the source.

So far I have:

• c. -30400 DR: Wasting Plague among aearee in present-day Orsraun Mountains (Grand History of the Realms p8)

• c. -4770 DR: Plague of Terror in Calimport (Grand History p26)

• c. -4770 DR: Sunset Plague in Calimport (Grand History p26)

• c. -4370 DR: unnamed plague in Imaskar (Grand History p18,26)

• c. -990 DR: series of plagues in Schamedar and Calimport (Grand History p39)

• -391 DR: Ivory Plague in Shou Lung (Grand History p46)

• -375 DR: Year of Clutching Dusk - Empire Plague in the southern Shining Coast (Grand History p47)

• -33 DR: unnamed plague initiated by the church of Talona ends the realm of Asram (Grand History p59)

• 3 DR: Loaraven "The Poxed" of Impiltur dies of plague (Grand History p78)

• 6 DR: unnamed plague in Impiltur prompts a farmer named Ondeth to flee west and found a settlement west of Marsember which he calls Suzara's City (Grand History p59)

• 75 DR: Year of Clinging Death - unnamed plague(s) decimate Chessenta, the Vilhon Reach, and the Shaar (Grand History p61); Kergaard Twinblade, ruler of Westgate, is among the slain; a priest of Ilmater is subsequently crowned for his effort to eradicate a plague that "nearly destroyed" the city (Grand History p85)

• 157 DR: unnamed plague in Impiltur slays the wife of Inrath III and disfigures her first son Inrath IV (Grand History p78)

• 236 DR: Year of the Plague Clouds - not sure if this corresponds to an actual plague

• 303-341 DR: Purplethroat Plague in Cormyr (Grand History of the Realms p76)

• 320 DR: The Infernal Death in Calimshan (Grand History p69)

• c. 375 DR: The Prayerbane Plague in Impiltur; Darthorn III drowns himself after the death of his wife and son (Grand History p79)

• 472 DR: The Panicked Plague decimates the town of Mussum: 75% of the citizens are slain in a single night; the circumstances are so dramatic that Mussum is never resettled (Grand History p88)

• 617 DR: unnamed plague fells Reinhar IV of Dambrath (Grand History p78)

• 796 DR: Lower Tathtar falls to an unnamed plague (Grand History p103)

• 849-890 DR: unnamed plague slays Pendernath and Thartryn III of Westgate, and all royal heirs (Grand History p86)

• 886-924 DR: unnamed plague slays Beldred II of Impiltur, and most of his family; Princess Aliia, the sole surviving heir, is deemed too young to rule; the throne of Impiltur is offered to whoever will marry her (Grand History p79, 111)

• 902 DR: unnamed plague devastates Chondath following the Rotting War (Grand History p109)

• 1150 DR: Year of the Scourge - unnamed plague sweeps the Sword Coast (Grand History p121)

• 1204 DR: unnamed plague slays Erdhinn II of Amn (Grand History p75)

• 1253 DR: Year of Beckoning Death - unnamed plague grips the northern Inner Sea lands (Grand History p126)

• 1317-1323 DR: The Plague of Dragons begins in the Vilhon Reach and decimates Chessenta and Unther - Ilione, Mage-Queen of Aglarond, dies of plague (Grand History p74, 134, and FR10 p6); 1322 is the Year of Lurking Death

• 1345 DR: The Coast Plague in Amn (Grand History p139)

• 1351 DR: unnamed plague spreads in Baldur's Gate, following the discover of Larloch's lair (Grand History p140)

• 1368 DR: unnamed plague attacks the treants in the Forest of Lethyr (Grand History p149)

• 1370 DR: The Shaking Plague in Scardale (Volo's Guide to the Dalelands) and "far southern and eastern lands" (Grand History p150)

• 1372 DR: The Wailing Death in Neverwinter (Grand History p152)

• 1372 DR: The Pox decimates the human population of Hlondeth (Grand History p154)

• 1374 DR: The Blush breaks out in Logfell, near the Qurth Forest (Grand History p156)

• 1385 DR: The Spellplague (Grand History p159)

• 1502 DR: Year of the Pox Plague - not sure if this corresponds to an actual plague

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 22 Nov 2012 02:52:29

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  22:30:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasnt there a plague that wiped oout on of the survivor states of Netheril (Anauria, Asram, Hlondeth i cant remember which one).

I think it was divine in nature created by Talona to convert worshippers from another god of plagues and poisons.

Also what about the plague in Scardale around 136? DR

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  22:55:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A plague in Luskan, in the novel Shadowbane...can't remember the year

1480?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Oct 2012 23:01:41
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  22:59:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scardale 1372 or 73??? Wasn't that the shaking plague?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  07:22:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Scardale plague was first mentioned in some 2nd edition supplements so should have been 1360's rather than 1370's

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  19:29:07  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was Asram that fell to a plague, in -33 DR. Anauria fell to the goblins of Hlundadim. Hlondath wasted its power in the Crown Against Scepter wars and ultimately lost its land to the advancing desert. Those are in A Grand History.

Volo's Guide to the Dalelands mentions the Shaking Plague, and the year is given as 1370 DR. I'll update the list. I'm not sure why Grand History says the Shaking Plague was far away... maybe it crossed the Inner Sea on boats but was effectively contained within the Heartlands? Or perhaps it appeared in multiple places at the same time; that would make sense if it was created by someone/something with a desire to destroy civilization -- Talona is one possibility but there are others.

I don't have any of the recent novels, so I'll have to depend on your recollection for the plague in Luskan.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 31 Oct 2012 03:28:47
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2018 :  20:32:29  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-5000 : plague strikes Imaskar dra349
-4900 : warrior plague tsr9589
-4000 / -3250 : 24 plagues strikes Calimshan tsr9561
-3250 : plague kill Marekh dynasty (Calimshan) tsr9561
-1741 : palgue strikes apothecs tsr1147
-1531 : plague strikes Bandor Village tsr1147
-943 : cat plague tsr9561
-676 : temple plague tsr9589
-599 : spider plague tsr9589 / tsr9561
-135 : shaking plague tsr9589
-52 : flower plague tsr9589
-16 : scholars plague tsr9589

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2018 :  23:21:04  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Abyssal Plague (a living plague related to Tharizdun and the theme of the Abyssal Plague novel series) hit Faerun at least thrice: in Chessenta in 1340, in Akanul and Easting village in 1479, and in the Weave itself during the Sundering (1485 or 1486, don't sure about the exact year).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 15 Sep 2018 23:22:02
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  03:32:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just from Calimport:
quote:
c.-4,900 The Warriors' Plague: Calimport, Almraiven;
c.-4,770 The Plague of Terror mysteriously affects Calimport alone,
In less than a tenday, the Sunset Plague claims the lives of most everyone in Calimport, including more than half of the Marekh ruling family.
[...] Calimport lies empty for nearly a century, as many are afraid of the plague.
-990 Intermittent plagues over the next century [...] Schamedar and Calimport.
-676 Year of Frenzied Tempests The Temples Plague (Plague): Calimport, Almraiven, Tashalar cities;
-599 DR Year of Hasty Messengers The Spider Plagues (Plague): All cities; [21 year after a war with Guallidurth ended.]
-375 Year of Clutching Dusk .. -370 The Empire Plague strikes the southern Shining Coast this year, ravaging Calimshan and the Lake of Steam colonies.
-135 Year of Old Beginnings The Shaking Plague (Plague): Memnon, Teshburl, Calimport;
-52 Year of the Choking Spores The Flower Plague (Plague): Keltar, Calimport, Almraiven;
-16 Year of the Poisoned Pens The Plague of Scholars: All cities across southern Faerûn, as far north as Baldur's Gate; [mysterious mass poisoning]
39 Year of Proud Flame The Alley Plague (Plague): Calimport (whole city), Almraiven, and Manshaka (docks);
75 Year of Clinging Death The Fog Fever (Plague): All Shoon cities (Tethyr and Calimshan), esp. Calimport, Memnon, and Myratma;
229 Year of the Black Flame The Ashes Plague (Plague): Keltar, Volothamp, Manshaka;
320 Year of the Bright Plumage The Infernal Death (Plague): Memnon, Teshburl, Keltar, Calimport, Myratma, and Shoonach (in Tethyr);
The Plague Fires (Fire): Evyrtaan and Cajaan Sabbans; 6% population of Upper Calimport;
701 Year of the White Jonquil The Moon Plague (Plague): Calimport; [lycanthropy outbreak]
755 Year of the Enigma Crimson Death (Plague): Ankhapur, Saelmur, Suldolphor, Mintar, Almraiven;
1019 Year of the Sure Quarrel The Dragons' Plague (Plague): Calimport, Keltar

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  05:01:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know of 1 plague unleashed into the Realms by one of the known Baneliches. "Tomar of Bane," 2nd Imperceptor of Bane (801-877 DR): "Most ruthless of all Imperceptors, Tomar’s greatest achievement was the introduction of a deadly plague into the Western Heartlands, causing the deaths of thousands."
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  05:02:33  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

We know of 1 plague unleashed into the Realms by one of the known Baneliches. "Tomar of Bane," 2nd Imperceptor of Bane (801-877 DR): "Most ruthless of all Imperceptors, Tomar’s greatest achievement was the introduction of a deadly plague into the Western Heartlands, causing the deaths of thousands."

This was in Ruins of Zhentil Keep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  05:52:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impiltur suffered from 3 plagues in the late 800s and one in the early 900s DR (the first lot of which sages describe collectively as "Talona's Trifold Touch"). These were the Crow Plague (883 DR), the Bloodpox Plague (886 DR), and the Ebontongue Flux (887 DR). The Tortoiscab Plague came later thanks to Soneillon (924 DR).

The plague that afflicted Impiltur in the first years of Dalereckoning was the Scarlet Tears Plague.

The plague noted as occurring in 157 DR actually occurred in 116 DR and was called the Bonescourge Plague.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 16 Sep 2018 05:52:46
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  05:53:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impiltur suffered from 3 plagues in the late 800s and one in the early 900s DR (the first lot of which sages describe collectively as "Talona's Trifold Touch"). These were the Crow Plague (883 DR), the Bloodpox Plague (886 DR), and the Ebontongue Flux (887 DR). The Tortoiscab Plague came later thanks to Soneillon (924 DR).

The plague that afflicted Impiltur in the first years of Dalereckoning was the Crimson Tears Plague.

The plague noted as occurring in 157 DR actually occurred in 116 DR and was called the Bonescourge Plague.

Another plague struck Impiltur - the Blacknail Plague - in 271 DR.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 16 Sep 2018 05:54:33
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  16:39:38  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
354 : The Leper's Curse (Plague)in Shoon Imperium - tsr9589
811 : Coraya Three-Tears, granddaughter of the Melora and a priestess of Talona as well, and her cult generate a poison-plague that slays every male child of Tethyr, including two royal princes. - Lands of Intrigue Timeline
844 : a deadly plague into the Western Heartlands causing the deaths of thousands by Tomar Second Imperceptor of Bane - tsr1120
890 : The virulent Bluebottle Plague in Westgate - Westgate Timeline
922 : Tortoiscab Plague on the royals of House Elethlim - champions of ruin
927 : the Blood Plagues in Sword Mountains region - city of splendors waterdeep
1278 : Ascomoid Plague in V'elddrinnsshar - tsr9585
1311 : plague strikes Black Ashes Citadel - tsr9563
1351 : The Rotting From Within in Baldur's Gate - Ed says 2014
1367 : Spotted Plague in Iriaebor - tsr1085
1367 : Featherlung Plague in Procampur - tsr1085
1369 : plague strikes Zhentil Keep - tsr1120
1370 : Bottlemist Plague / Burning Plague in Almraiven - tsr9561

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 16 Sep 2018 17:55:57
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2018 :  00:55:49  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do diseases & plagues of the Realms affect all races in the same way? Or are some races more susceptible (or conversely, immune) to certain diseases? Any race-specific plagues?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2018 :  13:08:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's race specific poisons, so I'd easily imagine some plagues are race specific. Some may even be engineered that way.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2018 :  14:10:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master xaeyruudh,

I include this link to identify some more:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Diseases

I know you asked for plague, but here is my reasoning:

Plague:
Noun
(en noun)
The bubonic plague, the pestilent disease caused by the virulent bacterium ''Yersinia pestis .
(pathology) An epidemic or pandemic caused by any pestilence, but specifically by the above disease.
A widespread affliction, calamity or destructive influx, especially when seen as divine retribution.

Pestilence:
a fatal epidemic disease, especially bubonic plague.

Disease:
Noun
(en noun)
(pathology) An abnormal condition of the body or mind that causes discomfort or dysfunction; distinct from injury insofar as the latter is usually instantaneously acquired.

So, any of those diseases can become pestilence. Plague appears to be very specific in the real world, and thus it seems any of those diseases could be seen colloquially as plague I suppose.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I guess I feel like being macabre today. I'm looking for any/all official mentions of plagues. Magical ones count; basically anything that kills a bunch of people without involving weapons.

If you want to add something to the list, please include the source.

So far I have:

• c. -30400 DR: Wasting Plague among aearee in present-day Orsraun Mountains (Grand History of the Realms p8)

• c. -4770 DR: Plague of Terror in Calimport (Grand History p26)

• c. -4770 DR: Sunset Plague in Calimport (Grand History p26)

• c. -4370 DR: unnamed plague in Imaskar (Grand History p18,26)

• c. -990 DR: series of plagues in Schamedar and Calimport (Grand History p39)

• -391 DR: Ivory Plague in Shou Lung (Grand History p46)

• -375 DR: Year of Clutching Dusk - Empire Plague in the southern Shining Coast (Grand History p47)

• -33 DR: unnamed plague initiated by the church of Talona ends the realm of Asram (Grand History p59)

• 3 DR: Loaraven "The Poxed" of Impiltur dies of plague (Grand History p78)

• 6 DR: unnamed plague in Impiltur prompts a farmer named Ondeth to flee west and found a settlement west of Marsember which he calls Suzara's City (Grand History p59)

• 75 DR: Year of Clinging Death - unnamed plague(s) decimate Chessenta, the Vilhon Reach, and the Shaar (Grand History p61); Kergaard Twinblade, ruler of Westgate, is among the slain; a priest of Ilmater is subsequently crowned for his effort to eradicate a plague that "nearly destroyed" the city (Grand History p85)

• 157 DR: unnamed plague in Impiltur slays the wife of Inrath III and disfigures her first son Inrath IV (Grand History p78)

• 236 DR: Year of the Plague Clouds - not sure if this corresponds to an actual plague

• 303-341 DR: Purplethroat Plague in Cormyr (Grand History of the Realms p76)

• 320 DR: The Infernal Death in Calimshan (Grand History p69)

• c. 375 DR: The Prayerbane Plague in Impiltur; Darthorn III drowns himself after the death of his wife and son (Grand History p79)

• 472 DR: The Panicked Plague decimates the town of Mussum: 75% of the citizens are slain in a single night; the circumstances are so dramatic that Mussum is never resettled (Grand History p88)

• 617 DR: unnamed plague fells Reinhar IV of Dambrath (Grand History p78)

• 796 DR: Lower Tathtar falls to an unnamed plague (Grand History p103)

• 849-890 DR: unnamed plague slays Pendernath and Thartryn III of Westgate, and all royal heirs (Grand History p86)

• 886-924 DR: unnamed plague slays Beldred II of Impiltur, and most of his family; Princess Aliia, the sole surviving heir, is deemed too young to rule; the throne of Impiltur is offered to whoever will marry her (Grand History p79, 111)

• 902 DR: unnamed plague devastates Chondath following the Rotting War (Grand History p109)

• 1150 DR: Year of the Scourge - unnamed plague sweeps the Sword Coast (Grand History p121)

• 1204 DR: unnamed plague slays Erdhinn II of Amn (Grand History p75)

• 1253 DR: Year of Beckoning Death - unnamed plague grips the northern Inner Sea lands (Grand History p126)

• 1317-1323 DR: The Plague of Dragons begins in the Vilhon Reach and decimates Chessenta and Unther - Ilione, Mage-Queen of Aglarond, dies of plague (Grand History p74, 134, and FR10 p6); 1322 is the Year of Lurking Death

• 1345 DR: The Coast Plague in Amn (Grand History p139)

• 1351 DR: unnamed plague spreads in Baldur's Gate, following the discover of Larloch's lair (Grand History p140)

• 1368 DR: unnamed plague attacks the treants in the Forest of Lethyr (Grand History p149)

• 1370 DR: The Shaking Plague in Scardale (Volo's Guide to the Dalelands) and "far southern and eastern lands" (Grand History p150)

• 1372 DR: The Wailing Death in Neverwinter (Grand History p152)

• 1372 DR: The Pox decimates the human population of Hlondeth (Grand History p154)

• 1374 DR: The Blush breaks out in Logfell, near the Qurth Forest (Grand History p156)

• 1385 DR: The Spellplague (Grand History p159)

• 1502 DR: Year of the Pox Plague - not sure if this corresponds to an actual plague

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000