Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 TV series of Interest to Realms Fans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  03:36:20  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been watching The Following and Almost Human, and both are really shaping up to be really interesting shows. The Following has just entered its second season, with the- spoiler- twist that Joe is not dead after all. Now a bunch of Joe Carrol groupies have begun a killing spree of their own to coax him out of hiding to lead them. Naturally, one year later, Ryan is once again involved in trying to hunt them all down, and finally stop Joe for good.

Almost Human is still in its first season, but I'm really liking it so far. Dorian is a really likable character, even more so for being a "synthetic" cop. His partner John is troubled, a bit of a loner, and has mixed feelings about working with a robot partner. I love the dynamic of these two, and the tech and moral issues on this show are really fascinating.

Also just finished season three of Walking Dead, and now I'm really anxious to see what happens next. Since we don't get cable or satellite, I have to wait for the DVD sets to watch it, so I'm a little behind. But The finale of season 3 was just so heart-breaking and unexpected, it almost made me cry.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  04:48:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I've been watching The Following and Almost Human, and both are really shaping up to be really interesting shows. The Following has just entered its second season, with the- spoiler- twist that Joe is not dead after all. Now a bunch of Joe Carrol groupies have begun a killing spree of their own to coax him out of hiding to lead them. Naturally, one year later, Ryan is once again involved in trying to hunt them all down, and finally stop Joe for good.
Watched the pilot of The Following. Objectively speaking, it's really good. Great cast (it's Kevin Bacon, so that's a given), effective archvillain, and great twist. Subjectively, I just couldn't stand the stress. All the while, I wanted to strangle pyscho serial killer myself. So no further episodes for me, unless I'd want a severe case of high blood pressure.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  05:24:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also watched the pilot of Sleepy Hollow. Good adaptation. Given that it's a series, it's expected they would depart from half or most of the movie lore, but the four horsemen of the Apocalypse? Hmm, kinda rehashed to death, especially for me (I've been following Supernatural, and that series employed the horsemen too).

That horned creature who beheaded the treacherous policeman at the end is a nice touch though. Really creepy.

And I think they chose a perfect actor for the lead role. Probably better than JD?

-----------------------

Just watched the latest of Grimm too. It's Meet the Parents for Monroe and Rosalie. But do I really care? First thing first, I love this show, but Rosalie just plain annoys me all the time, whether she just stands doing nothing or talking (even when she's helping Nick and gang). Oh well, I gotta live with it. She's a regular after all.

Anyway, our "monster of the week" is another one which fears no one and nothing, which kills people in uniform (police, military men, etc.) and takes their scalp to make a customized coat for himself. Lovely. And given Nick's status as a Grimm, he's likely (as Monroe said) on top of the monster's list of would-be victims.

Back to Monroe's parents, finally, they get to meet Nick. And what else can you expect but disaster?

Minus the Rosalie part (obviously, for me), this is yet another solid episode that exploits the characters' many sides, with a villain that's a real threat to Nick, which is a welcome change of pace, because lately, Nick's enemies couldn't seem to level with him. I mean, just realizing for themselves he's a Grimm, they'd already want to bolt.

Couldn't wait for the next episode.

-----------------

Musings: “The Purge” (Supernatural S09E13)

This is another good episode that throws in an interesting monster of the week and tackles the difficult but must-be-faced issue on Dean and Sam’s relationship. Let’s talk about the monster first: the pishtaco. They’re a pair (brother and sister) of fat-sucking creatures (and I mean that literally) with vacuums for tongues. They went from Peru to the States to “live a good, peaceful life.” Well, at least one of them thinks so. Everything goes south when little brother monster just couldn’t deny his “animal instinct” and goes on a killing spree, sucking people’s fats till they become nothing but husks. And of course, then come Sam and Dean to the scene, investigating this peculiar chain of deaths. Fast-forward a little, they meet the monster siblings at a spa/gym owned by big sister and get to kill naughty little brother. One would think that they are supposed to be in a conundrum with regard to how to deal with the peaceful, good sister. But no, Dean would simply have her killed. She’s a loose cannon. But Sam? Of course, he wouldn’t have it. To every rule, there is always an exception. And hasn’t Dean made a lot of exceptions in the past? Benny, and even Sam himself—supposed bad guys once upon a time that had to be killed but Dean instead chose to save. Good argument there from Sam, and so Dean relents.

Now comes the hard part. After their “job,” Sam and Dean get to talk with their issues—again. Sam says that back at the church (end of season 8), he was ready to die to save mankind (again, literally) and tells Dean that it’s high time he live for himself and not base his worth on others, that is, of course, Sam. When Dean asks if Sam would do the same if their roles were reversed, Sam says no. And Dean sags in defeat (with a look that could crush even the hardest soul).

It’s understandable that Dean will always look after Sam, will always make him a priority over his own self. But as Sam says, I guess it’s really high time Dean look deeper into himself and find the great man hidden in there and just live life without overthinking Sam’s safety for once, without having himself defined by Sam’s existence, without his obsessive dependence on his little brother that, while in some ways proved invaluable to them both in the past, probably just isn’t that healthy to either of them anymore. Perhaps the time to move on has finally come.

But the Wincest fans wouldn’t have that, so we’re always back to square 1.

Edited by - Dennis on 18 Feb 2014 17:01:14
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  16:59:30  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm hyped for the season finale of Sleepy Hollow. This show has just gotten better and better! I love all the twists with Catrina, Irving's growing involvement (love Orlando Jones) and Crane starting to integrate into the 21st century. I can't wait to see how this ends! And I really hope this show gets picked up for another season!

Sleepy Hollow was amazingly good and has gotten better with every single episode. That season finale was so good, and that reveal!

Excellent chemistry between the lead characters, spooky in a fun and complicated way, woven in historical threads, this show was a really enjoyable surprise.

Fox ordered a 2nd season back in October, so we can probably expect to see more in Sept 2014.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2014 :  13:43:57  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am reaching the end of season 3 of the Walking Dead and man is that Governor a total *expletive deleted* or what. cant believe that Rick though he could trust him or even a minute.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  04:59:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Belatedly discovered an awesome show: Dexter. Just watched episodes 1-4. Disturbing aspects aside, I think the plot gets better and better every episode. Dex probably epitomizes the very concept of an anti-hero.

I heard the Powers-That-Be are considering to continue the series.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2014 :  15:01:45  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So a trailer for the new Constantine Tv show just came online. Click here to watch
Looks pretty cool , a different take on the character than the movie but maybe that is for the best. Its more true to how his character behaves in the comics apparently, which should make the fans happy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2014 :  15:25:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

So a trailer for the new Constantine Tv show just came online. Click here to watch
Looks pretty cool , a different take on the character than the movie but maybe that is for the best. Its more true to how his character behaves in the comics apparently, which should make the fans happy.

The trailer looks impressive... But I've never read the comics, and it simply does not grab me. I did see the Keanu Reeves movie, which was also underwhelming, but I'm not holding that against the show.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  17:58:59  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was disappointed that Yara and her ironborn got BTFO by some dogs. On the other hand, Ramsay is totally insane and Alfie is killing it as Reek.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  21:29:29  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

I'm hyped for the season finale of Sleepy Hollow. This show has just gotten better and better! I love all the twists with Catrina, Irving's growing involvement (love Orlando Jones) and Crane starting to integrate into the 21st century. I can't wait to see how this ends! And I really hope this show gets picked up for another season!

Sleepy Hollow was amazingly good and has gotten better with every single episode. That season finale was so good, and that reveal!

Excellent chemistry between the lead characters, spooky in a fun and complicated way, woven in historical threads, this show was a really enjoyable surprise.

Fox ordered a 2nd season back in October, so we can probably expect to see more in Sept 2014.

Yeah, and I can't wait for it to continue. Sadly, Almost Human isn't getting a second season, but we still have The Following, and we've been watching the new 24 mini-series. Also been watching Cosmos- has anyone else been catching this? It's an AMAZING look at pretty much the entire history of the universe, as well as the physics and chemistry of life, astro-physics, laws of nature, etc- and how it's all interconnected. It's a re-duex of the Carl Sagan series from years ago, IIRC, though I've never seen the original. There are only a few episodes left (it was slated for 14) but I'm loving every minute of it. Science at its BEST!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2014 :  13:32:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The trailer looks impressive... But I've never read the comics, and it simply does not grab me. I did see the Keanu Reeves movie, which was also underwhelming, but I'm not holding that against the show.

The actress(the noob demon hunter)in the trailer is being let go after just one episode and now they are jumping headfirst into demon fighting without the boring origin stuff. Sounds like good news to me.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2014 :  13:39:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trailer for Gotham has just released. Check it out here
Did not exactly blow me away, the narration could have been a lot better but I am still looking forward to it because its Batman!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2014 :  22:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A load of posts here and I'm getting on this kind of late, so my apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Has anyone ever watched The River? It had a short run but I was really sad it got axed before it got a chance. IMO it would've been much better without that whole "found footage" technique.

Could've been great for an expedition to the Ama River Basin!

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  09:20:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One week until the new season of Sleepy Hollow starts, and new series Gotham starts up! Who's going to be watching these? I will for sure, work schedule permitting. My hours are wonky at the new job, so I may end up missing eps. Can't wait. Meantime, I've been catching Hell's Kitchen, and Hotel Hell- both of which my hubby and I love. Gordon Ramsey is so awesome. Love his attitude, and how much he actually helps people rebuild their businesses.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  17:13:48  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The trailer for Gotham has just released. Check it out here
Did not exactly blow me away, the narration could have been a lot better but I am still looking forward to it because its Batman!

The official extended trailer with no log in required.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI
*sets DVR*

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  21:55:43  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit late, as seson 1 has finished, ut did anyone else like Penny Dreadful? I thought it was awesome, one of the best things on TV, really loved the use of calssic literary characters and monsters. Love me some gothic horror, and this delivers in spades. Eva Green is gorgeous, Timothy Dalton is great as usual, and Josh Hartnett is great as well. Can;t wait for season 2!

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  12:51:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not seen Penny dreadful as yet but its definitely something I am looking forward to.
I am busy watching Justified right now and I have to say this is one of the best series I have ever seen. Its become one of my all time favorites, from the acting to the plot everything is just top notch.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  03:11:23  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotham. I was prepared to be underwhelmed. So far I've seen, I think, Catwoman, Riddler, Poison Ivy, and Penguin. Still only in an ep and a half. I'll keep watching, for now. I'm usually good for a couple dollars when it's all things Bats, but if we were to take Arrow as an example, I may have to take a pass.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 01 Oct 2014 03:19:47
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  09:56:34  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrow is not that bad actually, just dont expect it to be the Wire. The acting and script are decent but not great. Its a good way to kill some time.
Havent seen Gotham yet , but I hope it lives up to its potential.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  05:32:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched the first episode of Gotham, was even excited for it after seeing the previews, and it didn't disappoint. I haven't seen the second ep yet, since I have been working on Monday nights when it airs, so I am waiting to catch the repeat showing on Friday, along with the new season of Sleepy Hollow. Love that show, BTW! The Crane family takes dysfunction to a whole new level, with his son being the Horseman of War, his (former) best friend as the Horseman of Death, and his wife a witch who's been stuck in Purgatory for all of last season. And Abby has plenty of "demons" of her own to deal with. This series has been nothing but fun from the beginning, and it's only getting better this season! Here's hoping Gotham stays as interesting as it has started out, because so far, I love what they've done with Gordon and Bruce, and the future Catwoman is looking like an interesting character. Can't wait to catch the new one!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2014 :  07:57:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Flash on CB, kinda diggn it. I thought it was a little underwhelming like maybe they should've given it another half-hour for the season premier. I loved the old TV series. Who are the Flash's traditional enemies? Some heroes can be defined by their nemesis. I profess to not being too knowledgeable. Whom do you think may make it into the series and why?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Oct 2014 08:10:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2014 :  13:27:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loving Gotham, but I've had no desire to watch Arrow, or the new Flash. Weird, because they were 2 of my favorites back in the day. I think DC lost me as a customer when they killed-off Barry Allen, and I never looked back (well... maybe a couple of times...)

I am really enjoying Sleepy Hollow, even though the plot has more holes then Swiss Cheese. Still, its an interesting blend of psuedo-horror and folk tales. If nothing else, it has given me some interesting ideas for some background IMGs.

And, of course, The Walking Dead is back. They've really taken it up a notch this season with the cannibals.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Oct 2014 19:34:46
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2014 :  15:19:04  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Once Upon a Time has been pretty good. Though I've only made it to the beginning of season 3 if I recall correctly.

I've never taken the time to watch The Walking Dead myself, though I'm told it's pretty sweet too.

Edited by - Eilserus on 14 Oct 2014 15:19:36
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2014 :  19:38:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once Upon a Time is good, but its starting to lose traction. All the initial plots have been resolved (for the most part), and now Disney is just grasping at straws trying to come up with something new. They've added the characters from Frozen now, and thats a bit too new to be 'traditional' fairy-tale fodder, IMHO. I'll give it another season and see where it goes.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  03:19:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I loved the old TV series. Who are the Flash's traditional enemies?
Well, selecting a few from across the different comic book eras, we have Professor Zoom [the Reverse Flash {who will be making an appearance in the series}], Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Gorilla Grodd, The Top, Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard.

There are, of course, plenty more... but these are some of the most frequented villains seen in comic books featuring the various incarnations of the Flash.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  03:37:50  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well, selecting a few from across the different comic book eras, we have Prof. .essor Zoom [the Reverse Flash {who will be making an appearance in the series}], Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Gorilla Grodd, The Top, Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard.
There are, of course, plenty more... but these are some of the most frequented villains seen in comic books featuring the various incarnations of the Flash.

He really is lacking in some decent villainy. No ninjas, robots or supermodel psychos?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 15 Oct 2014 03:41:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  04:27:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, selecting a few from across the different comic book eras, we have Professor Zoom [the Reverse Flash {who will be making an appearance in the series}], Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Gorilla Grodd, The Top, Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard.

The Reverse Flash? If the Flash is the fastest man alive, would that make the Reverse Flash the slowest man alive?

(If so, I think I was behind him on the way to work, this morn!)

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  14:04:05  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Flash doesnt have the best rogues gallery but i am sure they can borrow a few more well known villains from other series for him to take on.
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  14:38:27  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

The Reverse Flash? If the Flash is the fastest man alive, would that make the Reverse Flash the slowest man alive?

(If so, I think I was behind him on the way to work, this morn!)

That's why they typically call him "Professor Zoom" rather than Reverse Flash. He has the ability to steal momentum from people and even go back in time. He can move quickly because he quite literally steals speed from people around him.

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  15:19:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lyiat

That's why they typically call him "Professor Zoom" rather than Reverse Flash. He has the ability to steal momentum from people and even go back in time. He can move quickly because he quite literally steals speed from people around him.

Considering how some drivers manage to slow down multiple lanes of traffic, I'm still not convinced I wasn't behind this guy.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000