Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elminster, Gandalf or Dumbledore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  18:09:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

hard to tell - Dumbledore was gay, Elminster perv, Gandalf celibate

And what does any of that have to do with anything?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  21:18:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Probably nothing other than showing that Kno is a bitter reader

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  00:10:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cugel the Clever was a mage? It's been decades since I read the stories about him, but I don't remember that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  02:14:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Probably nothing other than showing that Kno is a bitter reader

Okay, we really don't need to go down that path.

Let's try to remain courteous and civil, eh, and move on?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  17:20:21  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked the character of Jonathan Strange. A perfect ,English gentleman of a wizard.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  17:39:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I really liked the character of Jonathan Strange. A perfect ,English gentleman of a wizard.

I quite enjoyed that one, myself.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2012 :  15:12:30  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I quite enjoyed that one, myself.

Yes its quite a pity that there were no more books written in that series or another other by Ms. Susanna Clarke.
I for one would love to read more of her alternative Britain with its rediscovered rich history of magic.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  08:00:26  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster got my vote, if only for the fact that The Simbul wasn't an option. (Why isn't she on the list?)
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  17:46:35  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Elminster got my vote, if only for the fact that The Simbul wasn't an option. (Why isn't she on the list?)

I too, voted Elminster and his eversmoking pipe. Only because Robillard wasn't on the list. That guy is a bad ass.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  04:50:05  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster received my vote...although I must admit that even after all these years of fantasy reading I still cannot get through LotR. I watched the movies though! Ha.

As for Dumbledore, you could combine him and all the other Potter Mythos wizards and pit them against Elminster and maybe you would have a fight on your hands....I would very much like to see that eradication.

I thought Harry Potter books were OK, don't get me wrong
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  23:31:01  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel Dumbledore is the better character, but let's not stand on ceremony here. We know the best wizard is Jace. Always bet on Jace.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  23:39:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

I feel Dumbledore is the better character, but let's not stand on ceremony here. We know the best wizard is Jace. Always bet on Jace.

I have no idea who Jace is.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  01:35:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rincewind. Absolutely no contest, although technically he's a "wizzard".

Although Merlin was certainly the most accomplished, in my mind, given his legendary abilities to consistently work great magics on our own no-magic-or-low-magic world. The other guys all got it easy in that regard. Being a fiend-sired half-immortal is just a bonus.

And the Wizard of Oz certainly had a good gig going, too bad he was ultimately revealed as a bombastic incompetent.

I've always been inexplicably fascinated by the mythology of the Telchines. But most people've never heard of 'em.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  05:25:48  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Although Merlin was certainly the most accomplished, in my mind, given his legendary abilities to consistently work great magics on our own no-magic-or-low-magic world. The other guys all got it easy in that regard. Being a fiend-sired half-immortal is just a bonus.

And the Wizard of Oz certainly had a good gig going, too bad he was ultimately revealed as a bombastic incompetent.

I've always been inexplicably fascinated by the mythology of the Telchines. But most people've never heard of 'em.

Dang, I can't believe I completely forgot about Rincewind! He should definitely be on the list!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  05:53:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

It's possible that our world isn't low magic -- it could be that knowledge of how to access it has been lost or suppressed.

There's plenty of magic and things that go bump in the night in the Dresden Files books, for example -- but even some of the people that have seen Harry in action don't believe he's doing magic.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  00:41:31  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Jace the Mind Sculptor, a planeswalking telepath from the Magic: the Gathering tcg and novel line. He's the bane of competitive players everywhere.

Aside from Jace, I'd say Randall Flagg was an excellent wizard.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  15:19:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Jace the Mind Sculptor, a planeswalking telepath from the Magic: the Gathering tcg and novel line. He's the bane of competitive players everywhere.

Aside from Jace, I'd say Randall Flagg was an excellent wizard.
I love Jace, and in MtG, he’s indeed the best—though I’d say equal to Tezzeret in terms of skill, magic, and artifice. Cross-setting-wise, hmm, I wouldn’t say he’s the best. My vote still goes to Pug, the wizard who literally chopped the moon.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:10:11  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster Aumar. Definitely.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  16:00:46  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
El, though Gandy was close. El is a grumpy old man without being spiteful, pretty much cares for everyone and can kick deific arse when needed.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  20:04:30  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do believe that was put in the best proper terms, Elminster has it all.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2016 :  16:09:54  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another vote for El from myself.

In addition to being a pawn, he has retained a human personality... and he's got the Symbul! ;)
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2016 :  21:41:59  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

maltor ramus
Acolyte

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  05:40:55  Show Profile Send maltor ramus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster as my vote is not only powerful & cunning, but he's able to date a goddess and in my book that makes him the strongest of them all lol:)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  18:07:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

First - how did Dumbledore even make the list? He was not very powerful and in the end was dead.

He was one of the most powerful wizards in the Potterverse.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  18:43:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Choosing not to extend ones life indefinitely does not determine the level of power an individual holds.
Dumbledore appeared to me to be a very wise and learned individual with an insatiable curiosity for all things magical (including history and creatures of which was different from his colleagues). Whether this translated into raw magical power is unknown because the books never detailed any of his magic without him having the elder wand which admittedly he won from grindelwald but their relationship may have predetermined the outcome.

Power seems an odd thing to measure a wizard against when gandalf appears to have been a middling wizard but achieved great world changing things by virtue of his knowledge and skill reading/predicting people and their reactions often many years into the future (perhaps aided by some kind of foresight ability, perhaps not).

Dumbledore was of the same type as gandalf. He predicted and manipulated the actions of everyone he came into contact with (not necessarily with evil intent, sometimes people were manipulated merely into achieving their potential). He also made sure to know all he could about magic, both good and bad, which helped him greatly in fighting voldemort.

Elminster I don't know about because I've never read the novels. He seems both less and more wise (acting rashly and yet able to outwit all his foes).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  22:29:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the three of them, Dumbledore is the only pure mortal. Elminster is of course a Chosen, and Gandalf was one of the Maiar -- a kind of spirit, sent down by the kinda-sorta-deities of Middle-Earth.

Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2019 :  19:45:23  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of the three of them, Dumbledore is the only pure mortal. Elminster is of course a Chosen, and Gandalf was one of the Maiar -- a kind of spirit, sent down by the kinda-sorta-deities of Middle-Earth.

I went with Gandalf. In Potterverse, I actually like Aberforth better what little we get and in the Realms, Khelban is my favorite.
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2019 :  07:22:01  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely Elminster.

He has the feel of a very well learned grandfather. One that can be a terror to deal with it angry, but one that will always have your back in the end.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  21:53:43  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this is complete heresy here, but Dumbledore.

Not because of power, etc.

He just comes across more as that age old wizard from the books and movies. Elminster has a more playful personality in some ways, that is fantastic (don't get me wrong), but doesn't hit me the same.

This in no way means I do not love Elminster to death! He is awesome!!!!!!!!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  11:34:12  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm,
Gandalf is in a low magic world compared to FR or Potterverse.
Gandalf is a seemingly low ranking Angel.
Elminster is semi-devine (Chosen) in a high (VERY high) magic world.
Dumbledore seems to be very powerful,,, however the ease of his assassination/murder somehow belies that, IMO.
Dumbledore is in a world that has no religion, or at least very little. Therefore he does not seem to have any Divine capabilities.

So, Dumbledore is ruled out because of no divine powers.
Gandalf is in a low-magic world, and it shows in his limited ability to directly affect Middle-Earth (he usually has to get others to do the dirty work).
Elminster "wins", (if you want to call it that) because he is ridiculously over-powered in a high magic world.

Disclaimer: The above thoughts on Dumbledore are based on the movies. The books are simply unreadable for adults(at least this one).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000