Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Forging the Forgotten Realms - by Ed Greenwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  13:49:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
which would drive Ed mad, as then he'd know the moment of his death (as some are going with him to his grave I bet). Let's not figure that out.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  18:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

which would drive Ed mad, as then he'd know the moment of his death (as some are going with him to his grave I bet). Let's not figure that out.

I'm dropping all work on the subject, and burning my notes!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  17:13:06  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New article up (finally!) Manshoon the Manyfaced

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  18:02:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Dang, it's been most of a month...

But, oooohhhh, Manshoon lore!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  20:12:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Man-E-Faces one of the Masters of the Universe (He-Man)?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Oct 2014 20:13:28
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  20:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Dang, it's been most of a month...

But, oooohhhh, Manshoon lore!

Aye! And that little tidbit about Mystra... I've been wondering if Mystra is going to be reborn as more like Mystryl than her previous incarnations. They keep saying she's "learned much about her predecessors" in one way, shape, or form.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  17:45:10  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Missing the Forging articles. It's been over a month since our last update. :(

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  07:05:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. They must be sitting on a huge pile of Realms odds and sods. I understand that none of Ed's web columns have ever ended with all the material submitted being published on the website. When Paizo's control over Dragon ceased they were sitting on a Realms Cities article on Teziir that will likely now never see the light of day.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Dec 2014 07:06:23
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  07:57:26  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless of anything else they've done right, that seems petty and lacking in honor.

Fingers were hasty. It's been quoted, and I won't try to make it disappear; my bad for typing faster than I think.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 15 Dec 2014 16:10:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  10:58:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Regardless of anything else they've done right, that seems petty and lacking in honor.

I trust you're not blaming Paizo for Wizards not letting them publish something...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  13:45:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that some things are now jointly-owned by them, like The Isle of Dread, so neither can publish stuff about it without the other's permission... which sucks for us. A lot of art is now 'gone forever' and can't be re-used for the same reason.

Thats a sticky situation right there - I see it as a 'can of worms' that WILL have to be eventually opened. I only hope that Paizo has been keeping a running-list of how TSR/WotC has not been 'protecting their IP' vigilantly for quite some time now (The OGL is a MAJOR precedent thats going to bite them in the arse someday). Not sure how I feel about that - if D&D becomes 'public domain' that could be very bad (and I think Paizo knows that and feels the same way, along with others I know have legal grounds to challenge Hasbro). I think WotC is doing a decent job right now (5e stuff), and I think the whole industry would rather "let sleeping dogs lie" for as long as possible.

No matter how anyone personally feels about it, D&D is the capstone of RPGs - if it loses its 'structural integrity' the whole industry could lose its Standing, IMO. (Watered-down until it just becomes some sort of half-forgotten joke). P&P RPGs are struggling enough right now without them turning on each other.

So, we may have lost some great lore because of this, but sometimes you have to cut your loses. The only people who ever make-out in a court battle are the lawyers (and that was told to me by an attorney friend).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Dec 2014 18:35:43
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  16:07:54  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I trust you're not blaming Paizo for Wizards not letting them publish something...

No, but upon reflection it was hasty so I'll retract my statement in spite of still believing it.

In my opinion, part of firing Paizo should have involved reimbursing them for everything they'd already paid for. Sure, WotC owns Dragon Magazine; Paizo had only a contract, which means that WotC is within their rights to not renew the contract. Fine. But purchasing the articles/adventures that were on the docket for publication in upcoming issues should be a cost inherent in severing the relationship. At that point WotC would have acquired the Teziir piece, and they would be able to publish it free and clear. If they chose not to, it would be WotC sitting on it now. Keeps things clean. Better than Paizo retaining stuff they don't own the copyrights for and can't expect to ever be allowed to publish.

Which, admittedly, is based on assumptions I make based on George's wording. And despite being a skeptic in general, I'm not challenging his understanding because I trust him not to make inflammatory statements without knowing something about the situation. Mouthing off (and possibly misinterpreting; my bad if that's the case) is my thing, but it doesn't seem to be his.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  16:17:08  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That said, The Hooded One claims that there are six more 'Forging the Realms' articles that haven't yet been published and there's no doubt that WotC owns them. Will we see them any time soon? I think not - not unless Ed edits them so they have something to do with the current campaign arc.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  16:26:03  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The problem is that some things are now jointly-owned by them

I just don't think this has to be an unavoidable thing. At least not in the case of WotC/Paizo and Dragon/Dungeon magazines.

This is going off-topic, and into speculation, with no hope of relevance to the thread, and the idea that corporations are approaching gaming with a wacko motive definitely isn't new, and obviously this thread shouldn't be locked, so I'll shut up about it.

Happy Monday.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  16:26:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the internet is the for accidental leakage of information that will be otherwise suppressed.

Many times a computer has been hacked by unknown assailants who then make all documents on said computer available over the internet for information purposes.

Not that i'm suggesting anyone would/could/should use such a claim as a cover story for slightly nefarious means, i'm just stating that things happen and its very difficult to prove the truth of it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  17:16:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

That said, The Hooded One claims that there are six more 'Forging the Realms' articles that haven't yet been published and there's no doubt that WotC owns them. Will we see them any time soon? I think not - not unless Ed edits them so they have something to do with the current campaign arc.

Most of the Forging the Realms articles could be used just as readily in 5E as they could in 4E, and it wouldn't take much for a number of them to be used in earlier editions.

I don't think WotC is sitting on these for any reason other than they simply don't have a set schedule... Though it could also be that they've quietly started working on the 5E FR Campaign book, and plan to sit on these articles until closer to its release.

I really, really miss the days when we had new Realmslore on a weekly basis, posted on their site. It used to be that there was something new posted on their site every weekday; some was Realmslore, some was generic. I'd love to see them get back to being even half that prolific -- heck, one Realms article every week would be good, at this point.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  17:27:43  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Not that i'm suggesting anyone would/could/should use such a claim as a cover story for slightly nefarious means, i'm just stating that things happen and its very difficult to prove the truth of it.

And if those last Forging articles had to do with elements of the Sundering and plot that Ed and/or WotC planned to release at a later time, it would really, really suck to have the surprise ruined by some asshole hacker who's too stupid to know the difference between information being suppressed and information being saved.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  18:46:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, if the Paizo guys learned anything at all from their stint at doing FR lore, its that it IS possible to 'reveal too much'. Part of the attraction a setting holds its its 'mystique'; this goes for Golarion as well as FR. The more 'buried secrets', the better. Erik Mona has gone on record saying that they (the company insiders) know the answer to all the 'big secrets' (like what happened to Aroden), in order to maintain continuity. I think part of the problem FR had was that too many people were trying to provide too many different answers (when Ed had the answers all along). Its not the answers that keep us coming back for more - its the secrets themselves.

So, do I want to know what happened to Aroden? Or whats the real deal behind Larloch? Of course I do. If I had the skills I'd try to hack that info myself (although I doubt its physically written down anywhere... just in case). However, if I did somehow manage to get a hold of that info, I would NOT share it.

Why? Because it would be bad-enough I just ruined the setting(s) for myself - even I'm not jerk-enough to ruin it for everyone else. Its a shame that some things will never be revealed (for one reason or another), but that doesn't hurt the setting - it just adds to the mystery.

And Mystra IS "The lady of Mysteries".

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Dec 2014 18:49:56
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  19:39:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm happy if there is an intention to release it, even 20 years down the line. However in the case of Teziir it is obvious there is no intention or even capability of releasing the information. It is instead being suppressed deliberately for ammunition, probably by both sides.

In that instance, if the author wanted his creative works to see the light of day (nobody likes having their work consigned to nothingness), then there are options that don't involve hacking (although one mans A'hole is another mans hero).

The internet is now a common place to store items for personal use. For instance Google Drive allows easy storage and retrieval anywhere in the world. Now a single accidental button click changes the shared settings from private to public. Its an easy mistake to make. If people happened to guess the title of the document (because it was called "Teziir Article" perhaps, then they could accidentally download it without realising what it was. If that document were zipped for security and passworded then the author could not be accused of not taking precautions. Unfortunately people's choice of passwords tend to be rather poor, using either "password" or a common interest like "candlekeep".

As long as the person accidentally finding the document did not give it to anyone else then there is probably no crime committed by either party. Not really hacking, more an accidental sharing of information.

It should never be done with anything current or that might possibly see the light of day but it is quite clear the Teziir article is not one of those.

Just a theorising about a certain possible train of events that might accidentally result in things escaping the prison they have been locked in.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  19:42:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think Ed leaves mysteries that even he doesn't have answers for. There have been a couple of times I've emailed him, specifically asking for something like unsolved murders or unexplained disappearances, and he's provided the lore with a notation that he doesn't know what happened, either.

And Ed wouldn't necessarily have an answer for a mystery created by someone else, either. I suspect that some of our great Lorelords, like Krash, Eric L Boyd, and Steven Schend, have done the same routine of creating something mysterious and deliberately not coming up with an answer for it.

Heck, while I certainly don't include myself in such worthy ranks, I've created a couple of mysteries and left them unanswered in my own creations.... One of my Hooks, for example, includes a strange riddle. I've never come up with an answer to that riddle.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2014 :  04:46:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I'm happy if there is an intention to release it, even 20 years down the line. However in the case of Teziir it is obvious there is no intention or even capability of releasing the information. It is instead being suppressed deliberately for ammunition, probably by both sides.
I don't see how WotC and Paizo have the time to fight with each other. Where's the money in it?

And if they were fighting, wouldn't we have heard about it already?

Energy would be better spent reaching out to Paizo and WotC to ask them to release the article.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  20:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just in case anyone is interested, I finally went through and completed the archive in my signature. Up till now I only had everything forward of March of '14. Everything listed in the WotC Archive is there in a Google Drive folder, saved in PDF format. If you find something amiss, or an article I somehow overlooked, holler and I'll do what I can to fix it.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  21:15:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for taking the time, Delwa. Very much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  21:18:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang it... I saw this thread pop up, and I eagerly clicked the link, hoping we'd finally gotten new Edlore. Y'all got my hopes up!

I'm going to go cry in a corner, now.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  22:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Wooly. I thought of that after I posted. I shall go Atone now.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  23:04:19  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there was a recent remark on Enworld that stated articles would be returning. Let us hope we see the return of the Bearded One then!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2015 :  15:26:25  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not looking good at all.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2015 :  20:52:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still no awesome new articles.

Out of interest when was the last time anyone even looked at an article on the WoTC website. I look in about once a month to scan for a Forging the Realms article and when I don't see one I quickly close it.

I used to check the website 3 or 4 times a week in 3e days (wyrms of the north was awesome), stopped completely with 4e and then had a brief revivial with Forging the Realms.

I wonder if everyone else is the same and I wonder if WoTC have noticed a lull in their web traffic?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2015 :  21:44:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have almost stopped using their D&D page too. However not everyone is interested in FR, most players/DMs mainly care about the new crunch column that WotC are periodically releasing, so I don't think that Ed's article being -sadly- dropped will make a significative difference.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2015 :  21:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still check the website weekly. I've given up hope of seeing Realms stuff for awhile, but the Sword Coast Legends game is looking intriguing, and I like the GF9 miniatures (not the Wizkids miniatures.)

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000