Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Forging the Forgotten Realms - by Ed Greenwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  17:48:41  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The "Elder Rune" reference escapes me, though...

Maybe it's the proximity with "Larloch and it's liches" but i think the Elder Rune in question may be another name of the Runemasters of the Twisted Rune, after all in the 1370s Vaxall of the Undying Gaze was close to become one of the Runemasters, so i say that if the Elder Rune is the Twisted Rune's inner circle then that point has some eye tyrants working on it.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  18:25:00  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Finally, a new article! And it's new beholder lore!

The Vellurith, Part One

I think Ed likes beholders.

This article does give an idea, though -- one of the Hooks I wrote, back in the day, had a beholder acting strangely. Perhaps he is playing the Vellurith...

I also noted a beholder in this one who did not have the letter X in his name.

Might be a reference to the Twisted Rune?

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  18:54:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have asked Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  22:15:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here's the answer:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Wooly, the "Elder Rune" is what the most senior members of the Twisted Rune call themselves, meaning "we who possess the most self-discipline and actually stick to very long term goals, rather than indulging in some of the excesses and short-term, 'grabby' pursuits of more junior members." Ed tells me you'll see one of those junior members in action in a future Elminster novel - - and added that "junior" is of course a relative term.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  01:33:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that he's going to feature the Twisted Rune in future fiction. Can't wait.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  03:49:38  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More than any other product penned by Ed, I want the ultimate guide to the beholders of Faerūn. I want every bit of lore he can possibly think of, including (and especially) the secrets of the beholders who backed Manshoon and the formation of the Zhentarim.

(On a related note, I would love to see a novel or trilogy of novels from Ed dealing with the revived post-Sundering Zhentarim with lots of beholders, menacing clerics of Bane, and displays of sheer competence. It's time the Zhentarim got their due!)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  04:36:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

quote:

Finally, a new article! And it's new beholder lore!

The Vellurith, Part One

I think Ed likes beholders.

This article does give an idea, though -- one of the Hooks I wrote, back in the day, had a beholder acting strangely. Perhaps he is playing the Vellurith...

I also noted a beholder in this one who did not have the letter X in his name.

Might be a reference to the Twisted Rune?

Hasn't this reference to a section of the Twisted Rune as the "Elder Rune" popped up in prior Realmslore? It just reads like something I've seen before when reading up on the Rune Twisted Rune organisation.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  04:58:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I like that he's going to feature the Twisted Rune in future fiction. Can't wait.

-- George Krashos

Ditto. They're one of my fave evil groups in the Realms. And it'll be nice to see them get some airtime. Except for the Frostrune (don't call him that!), of course.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  00:01:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Makes me wonder if the Eminence of Araunt won't have its upper echelon seized.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  13:01:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More beholder love from Ed...

The Vellurith, Part Two

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  18:08:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More beholder love from Ed...

The Vellurith, Part Two

Some good stuff in this one, and it's given me a couple of ideas...

But this tidbit really got my attention, and raises my hopes:

quote:
Elminster has a notion that Khelben participated in reshaping the ongoing Vellurith in part because of what he foresaw for the Realms (the Sundering) and for himself (he may have wanted to provide a solution to his own future need to be reborn into a young, vigorous body).

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  18:20:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful stuff. Ed just keeps rolling on.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  05:07:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooo! That Khelben-tidbit is indeed a gem.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  09:08:16  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, this beholder lore is great but ... the part about the Chosens meddling in this too irks me a lot, there is a little voice inside my head screaming "Why!?!?" and unknown-to-mortals pacts between deities are well and good but i'll respectfully leave the Chosens out of the Vellurith if it ever surfaces in my campaign world.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  21:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New article up! I'm gonna go hide from the wrath of the Hamster now.

The Subterfuge of Art

(feel free to delete if I was out of line. )

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 10 Sep 2014 21:33:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  21:51:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

The Subterfuge of Art

No worries. Sage is the one who gets cranky if he's not the first.

I checked this morn; the article was not up, at that time... I've given up trying to figure out what their schedule is.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  22:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Subterfuge of Art

No worries. Sage is the one who gets cranky if he's not the first.

I checked this morn; the article was not up, at that time... I've given up trying to figure out what their schedule is.

Aye, it's sporadic. I am willing to guess they hired a Kender to post it, and the little guy only posts when he remembers he's got them in his pockets.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  02:50:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Wipes tear away from eye*

I do know that our dearly departed friend and fellow Candlekeep scribe, Jamallo Kreen, would've loved this newest article from Ed.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2014 :  02:00:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Subterfuge of Art

I really like this article. This has a lot of uses. I can easily see a certain NPC detective/priestess of Deneir of mine using these tricks.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  19:00:44  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New article up today. "After the Fall" dealing with the aftermath of The Herald. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  19:04:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They must have posted that one in the last hour or so... I checked the site shortly before going to lunch.

After the Fall

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  20:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They must have posted that one in the last hour or so... I checked the site shortly before going to lunch.

After the Fall

Hmm. Ed seems to confirm that Larloch wasn't merely boasting about being a Chosen of Mystryl. Interesting... off to ponder.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  08:02:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see that Ed did to Shade what I encouraged WotC to do to it 14 years ago.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  08:56:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew it! Ed told me long ago... that secrets of Larloch's special relationship with Mystryl would slowly be revealed. May this be the start of that.

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  09:06:50  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to see that it closely corralates with the 'Ask Ed' scroll - i.e. about the survival of the Tree of Souls.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  02:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New article up! Newly Fashionable Curses of the Realms *whistles innocently and walks away* Mischief Managed!

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 03 Oct 2014 02:25:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  05:05:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was gaming tonight, I have a good excuse.

I'll be dipped if I can discern the schedule WotC is using to upload these, thought.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  14:52:19  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll be dipped if I can discern the schedule WotC is using to upload these, thought.

Gaming is always a good excuse. (So is sleep, in my book, but some disagree.) It tends to go up early Wednesday, late Wednesday, early Thursday or late Thursday. I've not compared time zones (I'm Eastern) but I'm wondering if it corresponds to "I just clocked in" or "I've got time before I go home" in the web guys' schedule.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  17:40:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Gaming is always a good excuse. (So is sleep, in my book, but some disagree.) It tends to go up early Wednesday, late Wednesday, early Thursday or late Thursday. I've not compared time zones (I'm Eastern) but I'm wondering if it corresponds to "I just clocked in" or "I've got time before I go home" in the web guys' schedule.

I've also seen them go up at noonish... It used to be right at midnight, when the new content appeared.

But the schedule I was referring to was what day the articles are uploaded. Sometimes it's a week between articles, sometimes its two weeks or more. We had articles on the 4th (maybe late on the 3rd), 10th, and 17th, and then this one went up on the 3rd, more than two weeks later. That's the weird schedule I was referring to -- it used to be very consistent, and now it is not.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  19:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I've also seen them go up at noonish... It used to be right at midnight, when the new content appeared.

But the schedule I was referring to was what day the articles are uploaded. Sometimes it's a week between articles, sometimes its two weeks or more. We had articles on the 4th (maybe late on the 3rd), 10th, and 17th, and then this one went up on the 3rd, more than two weeks later. That's the weird schedule I was referring to -- it used to be very consistent, and now it is not.

It's a secret pattern! If we figure it out, we'll know the date and time all of Ed's NDA's expire!

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000