Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 One Canon, One Story, One Realms (5e) THE SEQUEL
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2014 :  01:45:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novels did kinda leave things open as to Eilistraee and her brother, however I have a hard time seeing the Masked Lady making a return appearance. Good and Evil combined in one deity can cause contradictions more so for lower level deity.
4th Edition did little for Brown elves and nothing for followers of the Dark Maiden. D&D next says they will include 4th and blend with prior Editions in some way. We know that Mystra is going to be back in some way or form (or at least we have been advised as to that) and we know little more that comes close to being stated plans for other deities.

For now at least the count down is more like months rather then the years of what the designers have put together. Lore matters to many, crunch matters to many so it only comes down to now how well WotC provides both as to how well 5th Edition will last.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2014 :  13:47:44  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sundering series(both adventures and novels) has already revealed the return of several deities including Mask and Helm.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Ren o the Research
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  22:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Ren o the Research's Homepage Send Ren o the Research a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting thread. I think this is my favorite forum thread on any forum on any site, ever. Speculative threads often run out of steam in a hurry, I'm glad to see it isn't the case here.

Hi there. I'm Ren, 30th level Ace Researcher. Here to separate the canon wheat from the non-canon chaff.

Edited by - Ren o the Research on 28 Aug 2014 22:59:47
Go to Top of Page

Inaubryn
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  09:46:47  Show Profile Send Inaubryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

The novels did kinda leave things open as to Eilistraee and her brother, however I have a hard time seeing the Masked Lady making a return appearance. Good and Evil combined in one deity can cause contradictions more so for lower level deity.
4th Edition did little for Brown elves and nothing for followers of the Dark Maiden.

Thinking about the Masked Lady as it were. I wrote a story awhile back called "Emergence". Essentially, it was a story about a faction of drow who felt that their potential to grow as a race had been destroyed and continually sabotaged by the capricious Lolth. The denigration and marginalization of males was crippling drow as a race as well as the fostering of the culling of those "unworthy" of Lolth's blessing. To that end, they began turning others away from Lolth, both in worship and philosophy, and converting others to the worship of Vhaeraun in most instances and Eilistraee in others.

This was the first step in the emergence of the drow. The second step was escaping the oppressive and cruel Lolthians and drow society at-large. This was done in several ways. Members of Vhaeraun's and Eilistraee's clergy began holding secret gatherings proselytizing to those who may wish to turn from Lolth and attempting to convert high ranking members of society, mainly male wizards and warriors.

However, other more militant factions of the movement carried out a campaign of terror against the faithful of Lolth. Suicide attacks on Lolthian infrastructure, worshippers, houses and carrying out assassinations of high ranking Yathrin and Yath'tallar. These attacks served a dual purpose. Of course they were designed to inflict maximum casualties and fear into all those who worshipped Lolth and prove that her strength and rule was not absolute. But, they also served as a distraction which allowed them to funnel the converted out of the various drow strongholds across Faerun.

The third and final step of the Emergence was the reclamation of nation of Ilythiir. The entirety of the movement away from Lolth and those who serve her was predicated on a return to the surface. A return that many drow saw as long overdue. They, after following the Spider Queen, were cursed and banished to the lightless lands below by their former father, Corellon, for thousands of years. It was once again time for the light of the sun to shine upon their faces and for them to raise from the ashes the kingdom that had been destroyed millennia ago.

The only thing left to find out, is would the surface races tolerate a kingdom of drow living, in some instances, a stone's throw away from their own lands?

I said all of that to say this. I'd love to see these two deities return in one form or another. I could see the combined god/goddess, the Dark Lady, as the patron of these drow. She would be more purely neutral in nature than evil or good, than lawful or chaotic. Although, having her be lawful neutral wouldn't be out of order as these drow are not as backstabby as Lolthian drow. They're no more treacherous or evil than humans and protect their own for the most part. I think the Masked Lady would make a great patron for this.

Edited by - Inaubryn on 31 Aug 2014 09:56:34
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  11:57:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool story. I too was imagining a campaign arc with Eilistraeens and Vhaerunites allying and trying to rebuild Miyeritar. Your point about the drow feeling crippled in their potential to grow and develop due to Lolth's rule, is something I envisioned as one of the main factors that the siblings could use to subvert their mother's rule (and something that I feel should somehow happen in the canonical FR as well).

I wouldn't care about the drow if it wasn't for E&V. I don't really like that race as it is portrayed in canon, because I find it to be stupid. I understand that drow are brainwashed, but really: they are stripped of choice about what to do with their life, they live in fear and paranoia and endless conflict, their dogma tells them that happiness is weakness and that they have no value beyond their ''power'' or how much Lolth favors them, and other random nonsensical stuff. The dark elves have been living like that for millennia (with any development, any new ideas suffocated in the name of tradition), have seen so many of their major plans fail, and are now -after all this time- in the exact same situation as after the Descent.
One would think that upon considering this -and with people and even two deities that go out of their way to offer them an alternative- a considerable group (still a minority) of drow would have chosen differently, but no: we are stuck with Drizzt, a bunch of masochist, one-note zealots who worship spiders, and nothing else. Seriously...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 31 Aug 2014 12:00:08
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  14:27:56  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a few years late to the party but thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I never really went beyond 1372 DR, and from what I've read, I'm glad that I didn't. To me the Realms has always been about massive scale, with massive detail, but plenty of room for you to plop your stuff right in. Huge lands, countless ruins, nearly endless exploration, and tons of variety in races, deities, geography, cities, then all that stuff was doubled in scale due to the Underdark. The definition of an epic world, with epic heros. Was there a slight lack of villains? Perhaps, but like DMs need any excuses to create a villain.

When the maps were shrunk, that was a major problem for me. When the gods were "simplified", major problem. Variety is a massive attraction. If you don't like certain gods that seem redundant, then don't use them.

When large areas of the map began to be altered, that's when the problems began (for me).

Like any great product or IP, WOTC could re-release the 1st and/or 2nd edition boxed set with lots more maps and polish and make an absolute killing right now. This would cater to the "die hard old school" FR nerds like me.We would all kill for an updated, PF or 5E converted Ruins of Undermountain Boxed Set, or Myth Drannor boxed set.

Then they could offer a "cross version guide" for free that explains the differences between versions of the setting, and help you determine which version you may want to use in your game.

Fire up the rest of those out of print products, start repolishing them, fixing the errata, make them compatible with 5e D&D and PF.

We all know what happens when we try to please everyone!

Edited by - Cards77 on 02 Sep 2014 14:33:14
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  12:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seconded when it comes to Myth Drannor or other out of print boxed sets.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000