Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 So you want a handy list of Cormyrean names, eh?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  16:58:09  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, I’m working on that.

Here’s a link to a wiki page on the WotC forums that lists all one hundred and thirty some odd names (of nobles, war wizards, commoners, courtiers, mask dancers, owners of establishments, outlanders plotting to overthrow the Crown of Cormyr and so on) found in the novel Bury Elminster Deep.

If you need a quick name for an NPC or a player character you're creating, or if you’re just interested in knowing something about nobles or Cormyr or what some of the titles are that courtiers in the Royal Palace hold, I think this list will be of some use to you.

For information on how it all fits together…well there’s no substitute for reading the novel.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 26 Jan 2013 22:30:58

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  22:32:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wiki project linked in the post above has grown a bit.

It's now under the header "Names of the Forgotten Realms" (edit: try this new link) and includes Realms names found in novels, adventures and Dragon and Dungeon magazine articles.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 24 Oct 2014 06:26:25
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  01:20:14  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*a few seconds of grumbling, and stirring the sand with a runecarved femur* Thread necromancy is delicate work.

Ah! (ahem.) Hiya Jeremy! Brimstone? Nope, I don't smell anything. Maybe you should get your sniffer checked.

These links no longer work. I seem to remember that the wiki was moved elsewhere, but I left my spellbooks in my other jacket.

So, you see, whatever magic was just worked here had nothing to do with me. *adjusts halo*
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  06:32:59  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the internet minders at WotC burned all their bridges (read: the links) to their website, I was pretty pissed off.

Short of deleting their website in its entirety, there's no better way to say "**** you" to everyone who tried to build content on their website and to link to that content from other websites than making the links go nowhere without updating them, while keeping the content under new URLs that every user has to hunt down, find and update themselves, and not checking the data for accuracy, which means not every wiki page was ported over in full, which means having to go back and edit each page or just do it all over again.

And you know something? I've worked my ass off for years, fighting day and night to demand that other people give WotC a fair shake and treat their staff with decency and respect. I've tried really hard to point out that WotC aren't a bunch of faceless, uncaring corporate goons.

Thus I'd pay a lot to be able to corner whomever was responsible for the dick move that was their website update and give that mother****er (or mother****ers; I'm not picky) a piece of my mind.

Anyway, try the link now. I'm working on the wiki page on the WotC website so soon you'll be able to find everything again.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 24 Oct 2014 06:53:34
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  14:06:53  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why there's no substitute for copy/paste or printscreening everything you get from Wizbro. Otherwise you lose access to everything.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  18:29:59  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jeremy. Sorry to bring up such a sore subject again.

For whatever it's worth, I completely agree with both the desire that people treat WotC staff with respect (while I deplore some of the decisions that have been made, I've never gone out of my way to find out who made them, and I don't think I've publicly ridiculed anyone by name) and the quiet fervent wish that they were all able to work efficiently and cooperatively. Their website is their public face, and they should put a higher priority on it.

The reason I revisited this thread in the first place is that I'm updating my Cormyr page with your threads on people and places and "clack").

As long as Wordpress is alive and functional, my pages should be accessible, and I'm trying to back them up with an offline wiki so that I can put it up somewhere else when Wordpress eventually, inevitably goes the way of the dodo.

Also, I completely agree Arcanamach... unfortunately I haven't kept up with it and there's sooooo much to go back and find now.

Edit: Jeremy, if you don't mind, I'd like to incorporate those name lists --with credit to you of course-- and that way they'll be around somewhere even if Wizards breaks their site again.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 25 Oct 2014 18:33:52
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  19:15:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returning to the original issue: it's not easy to tell "This is Cormyrean name and this is Sembian", unless it's used often, and even then it's more "local or adopted, whatever, it's here". Given how far people sometimes travel - especially Halruaan, Thayan and Shou expatriates... then there are Northlanders, who managed to spread not only to Uthgardt, but all the way and Rashemen...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  23:30:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps not as much as Jeremy, but I, too, have labored to make sure people don't complain about WotC without just cause... That said, I waive that personal rule for their web folks, because I'm tired of them invalidating all my bookmarks on a distressingly regular basis.

I, too, encourage the copying of anything nifty to local documents. I've many, many Word and pdf files from articles on their site, and many, many text files from nifty bits of lore shared here, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  04:42:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Edit: Jeremy, if you don't mind, I'd like to incorporate those name lists --with credit to you of course-- and that way they'll be around somewhere even if Wizards breaks their site again.

By all means proceed.

I'm still working on editing those lists since a couple of them were ported over with all the names deleted.

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  13:30:58  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit, I am glad I never wasted time adding any material on the WotC site. At least my list of names by Ed will always be accessible on Blogspot....

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  14:05:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a thread to names could be created here? We don't revamp our website near as oft as WotC does, and we've already had more than one person choose to share their stuff here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  07:11:59  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

I must admit, I am glad I never wasted time adding any material on the WotC site. At least my list of names by Ed will always be accessible on Blogspot....

Apologies. I should have remembered your list as well and asked you before giving xaeyruudh the OK since you compiled some names that I linked to on my list.

Any chance you could link to your blog in your profile or through your signature? Some good stuff there.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 27 Oct 2014 07:15:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000