Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 War Wizards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  05:27:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Allastra Redhorn

Allastra Redhorn is a tall, flame-haired Wizard of War of middle years and sharp memory. She carries herself with a commanding presence while on duty and speaks with the confident tone of someone who understands how things are supposed to work and has no patience for anyone wishing to violate the regular order. She is just as capable of melting into the background and remaining completely silent when in the presence of those who outrank her.

The daughter of two minor courtiers, Allastra grew up within spitting distance of the Royal Court, and spent her formative years serving in a variety of capacities in that sprawling edifice.

Allastra's parents made a game out of naming the endless number of rooms and passages in the Royal Court, and rewarded her with spending coin and small gifts when she correctly named several rooms in succession.

Her knowledge of the Royal Court served her well, as she found herself thrust into the role of errand runner, page, doorjack and gentlewoman usher. In time she became an all-purpose assistant to a variety of minor courtiers, such as the numerous underclerks, underscribes and undercooks that populate the Royal Quarter.

She gained a reputation for reliability thanks to her unwavering focus on the task at hand. Many of the courtiers she assisted found her to be intelligent and comfortable in her work, no matter the orders they gave to her.

Unless guided through them, she avoided the secret passages and hidden pathways between chambers that are ubiquitous in the Royal Court and Palace, keeping to the common ways whenever possible. This lent her an air of trustworthiness amongst Purple Dragon guards and palace watchers.

A chance encounter with an eccentric Crown mage[1] awakened Allastra to the fact that she possessed a budding skill at Art: in a dimly lit hallway the mage was tinkering with a set of Wards long forgotten by the living mages that frequent the Royal Court. The mage noticed Allastra shielding her eyes as she hurried past him, and called out to her, “My dear! My dear! Fear not, I have things under control. Hear, allow me to bring down the glare.”

What followed was a long conversation punctuated with humor and stories that disguised the mage’s questions. The mage warned Allastra about the dangers of the many wards to be found in the Royal Court and Palace and gave her clues to where useful magic was hidden that could be used if she were in danger. He determined she was unaware of her talent, and managed to teach her a pair of cantrips that he promised would serve her well before bidding her farewell, and a minor word of magic.[2]

In the decades that followed she became a Wizard of War, earned the trust of the Mage Royal and numerous courtiers, and spent many, many days and nights quietly studying the wards active in the Court and Palace, and searching for signs of the eccentric Crown mage that set her on the path of magic.

[1] The Crown mage’s name was Orthos of Greatgaunt.

[2] A spell to hide small objects or pieces of paper for a few breaths; a spell to silence one's footsteps for the length of a palace room or as long as a breath can be held (whichever ends first; regardless, one must be walking when this spell is enacted and it ends when one stops walking, even if the breath is still held and more paces are required to reach the end of the room); a word of power that allows the speaker to borrow a sliver of magic from a ward without shattering it, that can be used to power a cantrip or to provide the energy to activate a minor magical power stored in a magic item held by the caster (note: this word of power also allows the speaker to give a sliver of magic to a ward in order to strengthen it temporarily, or return it to normal if borrowed from previously; the magical energy may come from a spell memorized by the caster or from an item in the caster's possession).

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 23 Dec 2014 02:39:30
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  02:07:07  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
December additions and edits:

12/18/2014: Added a quote for Alorae Ruldragon.
Moved a block of paragraph for Haelrorn Fireweather's writeup to the footnotes from the main body of the writeup.
Reworded a paragraph for Haspra Handmane.
12/21/2014: Added Allastra Redhorn.
12/22/2014: Minor edits to Allastra Redhorn. Added a footnote to
Ombrier Thurlkast's entry. Minor edits to Tashlara Shimmerstar's entry.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 23 Dec 2014 07:31:51
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2015 :  06:44:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dantar Blackbrook

Dantar Blackbrook can recall with perfect accuracy the details of everything he has done, observed, heard or said since the day he turned four years old.

Many War Wizards possess impressive recall ability, but only a handful have the ability of absolute recall that Dantar is learning to wield with precision in the Royal Court where he is assigned as a quiet observer of sensitive activities.

Dantar's most recent assignment is to the Chamber of the Purple Dragon, where he observes and mentally records the ceremonies of investiture, royal proclamations, weddings, and funerals that occur there.

Dantar has witnessed King Foril quietly defuse factions of feuding nobles, the appointment of new Wizards of War, the creation of Highknights and other ceremonies.

The Mage Royal intends to test Dantar's loyalty, by having agents (read: trusted adventurers) offer him coin and valuables in exchange for information of what he has seen and heard.

As a young boy Dantar created an imaginary company of Purple Dragons. With each day that passed, he gave them names, histories, achievements in battle and personalities. The stories he overheard and the tales he read in chapbooks all served to inform his imaginings.

With age and time the unit of soldiers grew into an army, one supported by Wizards of War and courtiers--every individual imagined in full by Dantar.

When not busy with His War Wizard duties, Dantar gives his full attention to his imaginary world, reciting out loud conversations between Purple Dragons, imagining the thoughts and deeds of Lionars and nobles whose actions will have an effect on Dantar's Dragons and thinking up new recruits who will replace soldiers lost to old age and battle.

Dantar is perfectly sane, if a bit obsessed, and makes use of empty rooms and hallways in the Royal Court as much has his own personal accommodations when thinking out loud about the ever growing imaginary world he has created and maintains to this day--sometimes going so far as to conjure illusionary images and give them voices that carry through the halls as though they were flesh and blood people.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 20 Apr 2015 22:39:50
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2015 :  05:59:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4/19/15: Completed Dantar's entry.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  12:56:08  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[1] Ed Greenwood talked about the Bel's Blade and other haunted ships that ply the waters of the Realms over at Loremaster.org, but sadly that post was lost. Thanks go to Matt James for hosting that Ed Q&A as I got some pretty good ideas from it.

Do you, Jeremy ( or anybody else) have a copy of this post from the Great Sage and can you get permission to reproduce it here?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  15:13:59  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never archived the original replies from Ed to questions that were posed to him at the first iteration of Loremaster.org.

Same goes for all the lore collecting and posting I did on the revised Loremaser website.

Nowadays I try to copy everything to the internet wayback machine, and write material primarily at Candlekeep because it has proven to be the most reliable over the years. The web folks at WotC could learn a thing or three from Candlekeep in this regard.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  17:35:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

The web folks at WotC could learn a thing or three from Candlekeep in this regard.

It is my opinion that their web folks could stand to learn a thing or three, period. With their consistent failure to update any links whenever they revamp the site, I honestly believe that not even they know what content is where.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  17:51:59  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least they show you some fancy graphics when they tell you that they've lost what you're looking for. Sorry, Jeremy.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Apr 2015 20:07:56
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  18:02:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you saying, Jeremy, that it would be fruitless to search the Wayback Machine for the aforementioned article? Twould be difficult without knowing the approximate date of the entry.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  20:02:51  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  20:04:38  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

Do you have a ballpark for me to begin looking in? I admit my skills in using that site may not be up to the task.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Apr 2015 20:13:32
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  20:46:47  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest searching for Loremaster.org on the Wayback machine and going back as far in time as it will let you. Ed started answering questions pretty early in that site's history, so if the info is there you should not have to look through too many iterations. Of course I tried all of this, but could not find anything. Still, it's worth another look.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2015 :  12:56:54  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried that. All I'm getting is something called penandpapergames. Only a homepage, nothing more.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  06:08:22  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bramas Downjack

A man of middle years. Possessed of a slender face, close-trimmed mustachios, a receding brow and hair that sways out over his ears like a pair of bird’s wings.

Bramas is circumspect in both his personal and professional life; he lives alone and has few friends. He obeys orders and readily faces danger, but he does not strike out on his own, follow hunches or deviate from orders (unless his orders become impossible to follow).

While other Wizards of War consider him paranoid, Bramas is not. Rather, he carefully weighs and measures the behavior of others, he observes the world around him, and then he estimates risk. He is more likely than other war wizards to spend time making preparations and to discuss tactics and review contingencies. Thus he annoys the younger mages and not a few of the elders.

When faced with the threat of imminent death, Bramas casts to kill in as swift a manner as possible. He prefers spells of the variety that slice and dismember. Bramas wears a torc of wound mithral around his neck that allows him to cast spells that produce sonic effects at will, without the need for somatic, verbal or material components.

The care and keeping of war wizards unfortunate enough to have had their minds scrambled or their sentience burned away has occupied much of Bramas’ time. Ever since the Weave returned to Faerűn, a handful of these mindless mages have stirred to life, only to collapse to the floor and resume drooling while staring ahead at nothing. The intelligence of a few lingered long enough for them to cast spells at random, while others gave forewarning of future events—all of which came true.

Bramas has the permission of the Mage Royal to experiment on the fallen wizards of war, to try and awaken them permanently. Failing that, to awaken their ability to foresee future events. He takes no unnecessary risks, and he prays to Mystra regularly for guidance.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 27 Jul 2015 15:12:47
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  15:13:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have like five minutes of free time. Totally awesome!

Doing minor edits.

Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  12:01:04  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dantar Blackbrook

Dantar Blackbrook can recall with perfect accuracy the details of everything he has done, observed, heard or said since the day he turned four years old.

Many War Wizards possess impressive recall ability, but only a handful have the ability of absolute recall that Dantar is learning to wield with precision in the Royal Court where he is assigned as a quiet observer of sensitive activities.

Dantar's most recent assignment is to the Chamber of the Purple Dragon, where he observes and mentally records the ceremonies of investiture, royal proclamations, weddings, and funerals that occur there.

Dantar has witnessed King Foril quietly defuse factions of feuding nobles, the appointment of new Wizards of War, the creation of Highknights and other ceremonies.

The Mage Royal intends to test Dantar's loyalty, by having agents (read: trusted adventurers) offer him coin and valuables in exchange for information of what he has seen and heard.

As a young boy Dantar created an imaginary company of Purple Dragons. With each day that passed, he gave them names, histories, achievements in battle and personalities. The stories he overheard and the tales he read in chapbooks all served to inform his imaginings.

With age and time the unit of soldiers grew into an army, one supported by Wizards of War and courtiers--every individual imagined in full by Dantar.

When not busy with His War Wizard duties, Dantar gives his full attention to his imaginary world, reciting out loud conversations between Purple Dragons, imagining the thoughts and deeds of Lionars and nobles whose actions will have an effect on Dantar's Dragons and thinking up new recruits who will replace soldiers lost to old age and battle.

Dantar is perfectly sane, if a bit obsessed, and makes use of empty rooms and hallways in the Royal Court as much has his own personal accommodations when thinking out loud about the ever growing imaginary world he has created and maintains to this day--sometimes going so far as to conjure illusionary images and give them voices that carry through the halls as though they were flesh and blood people.

I like this guy.
I could see him trying to solve a crisis by submitting it for discussion by his imaginary cast, and succeeding. Of course as the years went by and he used the technique time and time again, it might start to have some side effects.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000