Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Reboot of the Realms for 5th edition.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  20:56:25  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

My heart says yes but my brain says no. I voted no because the setting can't afford to lose any more fans...and it WOULD lose more fans. Now, if they were to start printing material for all eras of play, so that players could decide which era to play in AND have new material to use, THAT'D BE GREAT. It's not going to happen, but it would be great.

Another reason fans should have a say in these changes, this would be perfect for EVERYONE!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  21:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm not going to repeat ad infinitium what many others have said, although I did read all of the comments. My take is that the Realms were pretty amazing in the 3E phase. I liked the "new" Mystra, because she humanized the gods, and her battles with Cyric, whom I happen to find an annoying deity, still play out well. But WoTC decided to hit the "self-destruct" button and kill most of the pantheon because, as I've been told by many, the game was "just too complex." Well, I learned it, and so can anyone else. Knowledge of all the lore isn't a requirement to playing D&D, and DMs can and do ignore pantheons and continents as they wish and always have. But to take them away from us, that was and remains inexcusable. The reason: they shrank the content despite the fact that people were using it, and they removed new versions of the sourcebooks for new players.

I play Neverwinter online, but I don't think of it as D&D. It may or may not use the latest 4E rules, but if that's how dumbed-down they've made the game, then it's so far below "basic" that I want no part of it. They were able to capture the 3E/3.5E rules in the original Neverwinter Nights with all of its myriad of spells and gods, and it was a lot of fun to play. The sequel, while somewhat lacking in story, was still fun. All those messy mechanics weren't difficult to grasp, and they worked hand-in-hand with the published rulebooks. I was happy to see THAC0 go away, but I digress. The game mechanics are different than the Realms themselves, and to that, I do not want a "complete" reboot. Abeir was totally unnecessary...that's why they had Spelljammer, after all. No reason to kill a planet to bring that about. But, they also killed a lot of great characters with the massive time jump. I liked the Seven Sisters, and I liked Azoun IV, Fi, and the others. Killing characters for a reason is part of artistic license, as George R. R. Martin proves, but just killing them by sweeping the timeline ahead seven decades?

Which brings me to my final point: continuity. We were introduced to "Ao" as "The Keeper of the Balance." Whether or not DMs chose to use him is irrelevant, he had absolute and total control over the world and keeping things "In Balance." He could wipe out the pantheon at will, he could create a new one. But he did all of this, if we are to believe the official, published novels, because he cared about mortals on Toril. I just don't see him letting Cyric kill his Goddess of Magic because he has a personal vendetta against her. Reset us to 3E and most (not all) people will be happy. We don't have to learn new geography, we don't have to learn a new pantheon, and the characters in the majority of books we like are still alive for us to tap as needed.

A note on cartography: we don't need highly-detailed maps of everywhere. The opening pages of the A Song of Ice and Fire series give just enough detail for us to track where things are in relationship to one another, but don't take up time explaining everything. That's what supplemental books are for, and as one who would buy them, I'd love to see them. But this notion that the core books are "overwhelming" can only be true if WoTC makes them so.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2019 :  09:55:32  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The poll is closed. But my answer is a resounding yes.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000