Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  15:33:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello once more. E-mails from Ed are coming in by the proverbial dribs and drabs manner, and the latest contains a tiny tidbit for Rivenhelm:

"Does Court Close cross the Promenade?"
No. What faces it across the Promenade is another named street.

That's all for now, I'm afraid, though Ed is hopeful he'll be able to answer "most of" your queries sooner rather than later.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  16:08:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. And no sooner did I start browsing here at the Keep then I got another e-mail, from Ed, this time a response to Markustay: <snip>
Me thinks Ed may have gotten my query mixed-up with Euranna's subsequent comment.

Volo has no common sense, so I wouldn't put it past him. Lhaeo, on the other hand, would probably love to 'expose' El's grungier side but has enough sense not to do so. My question was regarding a hypothetical title for a book that Lhaeo would like to have written.

My own thoughts on the matter would be, "Stinky Small-clothes: The dirt that clings to the Mighty".

But thank you both for that quick response regardless.
I went to see The Hobbit with my four boys (a rare treat), and now my youngest (11) wants to run a dwarf in an FR game. Perhaps we should all send a letter of Thank You to Peter Jackson for keeping the genre alive and well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Dec 2012 16:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  20:38:20  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message
I have a couple of queries for Ed, both regarding affairs in the Realms in the 1360s DR.

First: how likely is it that a group of Malarites - many of whom are werewolves - would have been able to avoid notice in the Sunset Vale, or at least evade notice enough that nobody's tried sweeping them out of the area?

Second: is it feasible to add a minor noble house to Waterdeep's collection of nobility, and how would the nobles react to the heir of the house having a half-elven daughter, even if she is not first in line to inherit? Would assassination attempts be likely, and if so, which houses does Ed consider most rabidly anti-elven and willing to go to such lengths? Ditto any elven groups/individuals who'd be less than pleased at an elf/human marriage?

Thanking you in advance, and a belated Merry Christmas to Lord Ed and Lady THO!

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  22:52:03  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
Ed and Lady THO,

I just wanted to thank you once more. Your generosity does not go unnoticed.
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  23:06:04  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message

Upon reading Ed's most extraordinary description of Candlekeep, I noticed that characters as diverse as the Chosen and Larloch are protectors of the lore in its walls. Which conjured the interesting image of my low-level characters studying a few tomes there, sitting a few yards from this quiet young man, who is actually an uberlich in disguise — or perhaps a beholder, a drow, or a planetar.

Candlekeep is wonderful. Waterdeep is also a place where all people and all things converge, but it is bustling and noisy; in the quiet halls of Candlekeep, one could interact with odd characters over the 10 days of regular stay.

A question for Ed: Are there other places in the Realms serving as a magnet for all kinds of folk, where an Ulitharid could be sitting across the table from a bronze dragon, both in inconspicuous human form?

Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  00:17:04  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
Thank you -- both THO and Ed!! One down, 325 to go eh? Masters at the Art teasing you both are to be sure! :-)

Seriously, I had hoped my query wouldn't have to have been, ahh shall we say, so complicated. So I really appreciate Ed's efforts here.

Happy Continued Holidays to him! And to you, and every scribe here, Happy New Year THO!!

BTW, is there a unique Realms equivalent to Happy New Year?

Best to All,
Rich...
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  21:11:12  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
THO,

It's been awhile since I've posted, thanks to IRL and whatnot. Way back in late August of 2010, I submitted a proposed rough map of Loudwater to you, circa 1370, based on notes from you and Ed. I know there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then, but I was wondering if I could re-send it to you now for notes/corrections, with an eye toward getting it close enough to accuracy for more precise notes from Ed, and eventually making it available to the lore-hungry of Candlekeep. This still seems needful, given that (to my knowledge) there is still no accurate map of Loudwater extant...

Mother may I? ;)

Cheers,

Karth
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  14:27:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cassie5squared

I have a couple of queries for Ed, both regarding affairs in the Realms in the 1360s DR.

First: how likely is it that a group of Malarites - many of whom are werewolves - would have been able to avoid notice in the Sunset Vale, or at least evade notice enough that nobody's tried sweeping them out of the area?

Second: is it feasible to add a minor noble house to Waterdeep's collection of nobility, and how would the nobles react to the heir of the house having a half-elven daughter, even if she is not first in line to inherit? Would assassination attempts be likely, and if so, which houses does Ed consider most rabidly anti-elven and willing to go to such lengths? Ditto any elven groups/individuals who'd be less than pleased at an elf/human marriage?

Thanking you in advance, and a belated Merry Christmas to Lord Ed and Lady THO!

regarding the second question, check out "Elminster's Forgotten Realms". They specifically explore the addition of new noble houses in Waterdeep in the time period mentioned. It should be noted that prior to the spellplague and after the spellplague, this varies.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  14:31:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
A question about a Lord of Zhentil Keep:

Lord Phandymm. We know he is a "secret" priest of Bane, and one that backed Fzoul in taking power in Zhentil Keep away from the High Imperceptor...but really there is little else known about this man. I don't know if I've missed a source (I have a vague and hazy recall of something to do with Realms of Infamy)...but I don't even know if my mind's eye describes him right!

What does he look like? What would cause a Priest of Bane to be so secretive in a city dominated by Bane's clergy? What makes this man get up in the morning?

Thanks for anything you have to offer!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  15:03:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Well met

Could I please ask that my fellow scribes refrain from posting any more requests for lore to Ed and THO as this scroll will soon be sealed [this then allows THO to better synchronise the crossover into the upcoming 2013 scroll]? You may soon resume your requests in the 2013 scroll which I will open shortly.

Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  15:37:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Karth, I know Ed has a map of (the later, more populous = 1360s DR or so) Loudwater, because I've seen it. His usual style (like the maps published in the FR ADVENTURES 2e hardcover tome).
However, we'd love to see yours. How about wait until after the New Year bows in (say, the 2nd of January, or later), and then PM me? That should give me a chance to clear out my PM inbox enough to accept messages again.
Yes, I've been a bad girl (anyone surprised at that? No? )
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  15:47:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Dalor Darden, I know Ed is slaving away at the keyboard right now, trying to get caught up, but from my admittedly sketchy notes from Realmsplay, I can tell you this about Lord Phandymm: a big (burly, broad-shouldered, like a football player with full padding on, except of course in his case, it's all him) man with fat cheeks and a double chin, going bald. Pale white-skinned, green eyes, big fat strong fingers. Says little, speaks in a pleasant, honeyed, deep voice. A landlord and investor in Zhentil Keep, drawing income from almost two hundred small businesses he supports (mainly shopkeepers and crafters, but also a few caravan shipping and warehousing concerns). Deals in spirits, wines, poisons, and unguents (medicinal ointments), habitually evading most taxes by misstating what's in which cask to pay a lower tax rate. Secretly sponsors and supports LOCAL clergy of Bane, hence his siding with Fzoul over the High Imperceptor. Often leery of early Zhent tactics because he thought other cities would arm and ride against Zhentil Keep as a threat perceived to be too grave to let lie, but never a foe of the Network. (He spoke against them at Council because he thought what they were trying was a dangerous, foolish "rocking of the boat" of local power, done out of impatience when it could have been done more slowly and with subtlety and made fewer enemies/engendered less local fear.) He still believes this, but Manshoon sees him rightly as disagreeing over ways and means, not aims and end goals.
He is one of the few Keep inhabitants Manshoon likes, because Phandymm puts himself first, the welfare of the city second, and the Brotherhood (the Zhentarim) third, and is thoughtful and wary (and therefore, to Manshoon, predictable).
And I'm afraid that's all I've got. For more, we'll have to wait for Ed.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 31 Dec 2012 15:51:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  15:57:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi again, everyone. I just received an e-mail from Ed, re. this, from xaeyruudh: "Happy holidays to all!
Adding a quick query to the pile of uh... Christmas presents, yes we're so generous ... for Ed:
In FR16, there's a settlement named Bachlacis somewhere in the Durpar/Var/Estagund collective. It's listed as the "home base" of the Rawnpore chaka, on the list of 31 on the back inside cover, but it doesn't seem to have gotten onto any of the maps. My question is: is this one of your towns, or was it an invention of that book's author?"

Ed replies:

Bachlacis isn't my creation. (Nor is the Rawnpore chaka.)

So saith Ed. More housekeeping to come, as I see ANOTHER e-mail from Ed has just popped into my inbox.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  16:04:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And with that being the case, and since Australia has now entered 2013, please be aware that this scroll will now be closing, with Ed's Realmslore answers and The Hooded One's grace and charm starting fresh in a new scroll for 2013.

Casts Seal Scroll.

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Dec 2012 16:05:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  17:31:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well met

Could I please ask that my fellow scribes refrain from posting any more requests for lore to Ed and THO as this scroll will soon be sealed [this then allows THO to better synchronise the crossover into the upcoming 2013 scroll]? You may soon resume your requests in the 2013 scroll which I will open shortly.

Thank you.

But it's still 2012 here!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  01:15:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well met

Thank you.

You should know by now, Wooly, that Australia doesn't fall under SageTime, so it's passage through the continuum remains unfettered by my meddling.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  05:03:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well met

Thank you.

You should know by now, Wooly, that Australia doesn't fall under SageTime, so it's passage through the continuum remains unfettered by my meddling.

Well, then, how is it that SageTime never applies to you, when it's New Year's Eve?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  06:07:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well met

Thank you.

Well, then, how is it that SageTime never applies to you, when it's New Year's Eve?

Did you ever see the finale for Star Trek: The Next Generation? If so, then Picard and Data's rationale over the nature of Anti-Time in that episode should be enough to answer your question.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  14:14:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well met

Thank you.

Did you ever see the finale for Star Trek: The Next Generation? If so, then Picard and Data's rationale over the nature of Anti-Time in that episode should be enough to answer your question.

Never saw it, so I'm still wondering...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  15:07:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well met

Thank you.

Never saw it, so I'm still wondering...

Ah. Okay. I'll see if I can find a YouTube clip with the appropriate section I'm thinking of. That'll clear things up.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  17:04:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Ah. Okay. I'll see if I can find a YouTube clip with the appropriate section I'm thinking of. That'll clear things up.

I'll expect that in time for New Year's, 2015, then.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  02:13:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Come now, Wooly, it would be 2016 at the earliest.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  05:00:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

My bad, gave you too much credit!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  08:07:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My bad, gave you too much credit!

Which is strange for me... considering I'm hardly ever a realist when it comes to matters of SageTime.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000