Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Authors We Love to Hate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  15:36:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rangerstranger

H.P. Lovercraft

Hmm, haven't tried him yet.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  19:54:11  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

H.P. Lovercraft

Can't tell if serious or April Fools joke. Lovecraft is one of my favorites, but even I'll admit his style isn't for everyone. His writing was out-of-date even in his own time (1920s/30s I think is when he did the bulk of his writing), as he used a kind of purposeful archaism.

Then again, I really dig Arthur E. Howard's old Conan stories, so maybe I'm just born in the wrong time period.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  20:03:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

quote:

H.P. Lovercraft

Can't tell if serious or April Fools joke.

You should never be surprised to learn that something you love is hated by someone else.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  20:08:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

H.P. Lovercraft

Can't tell if serious or April Fools joke. Lovecraft is one of my favorites, but even I'll admit his style isn't for everyone. His writing was out-of-date even in his own time (1920s/30s I think is when he did the bulk of his writing), as he used a kind of purposeful archaism.

Then again, I really dig Arthur E. Howard's old Conan stories, so maybe I'm just born in the wrong time period.

My guess is that it's a typo, perhaps an errant autocorrect.

I've read some Lovecraft. Most of it doesn't work for me... I don't dislike it, I just don't see the big deal about it.

Some of the stories have been creepy... It makes me wonder if the stories had a greater impact in their era, and if the modern era has desensitized us, to some degree, or perhaps changed our perspectives on some things.

Not really looking for a debate on that; this really isn't the place for it. Just kind of a personal pondering on the author's popularity and my own thoughts on his material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  01:15:20  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RAS is a pretty decent/great author, in my opinion. If you can manage to write 20+ books focused on a single character and still keep readers flocking to you in droves, you're doing something right. -and I couldn't bring myself to hate the writing of anyone who has contributed to the Realms so profusely.

Stephen King however is fairly overrated.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  05:50:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastermustard

He's had some good stuff, and he's had some not-so-good stuff. I still really enjoy 'Salem's Lot, It, The Tommyknockers, and The Eyes of the Dragon.

Though I will admit that some of those books had unnecessary elements... Particularly It, which had gratuitous sex, profanity, and the run-on sentence from Hell. I've no objections to sex and profanity in stories, so long as they are appropriate to and help the story. In It, this was not always the case.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  18:33:46  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

H.P. Lovercraft

Oh I was serious about H.P. Lovecraft. If I wanted to make a april fools joke I would have said L. Ron Hubbard.

Also please forgive my earlier type that Wooly pointed out.

I just never saw the big deal about the guy. Many of his stories were very much the same. Same plot points, same characters with different names. And then the Cthulhu Mythos, its a role playing game and somehow making it to the cover of a D&D book. I just don't understand how his stories have gone so far when they weren't really that good... at least in my opinion.

I think you mean Robert E. Howard when speaking of Conan. I have to agree, the Conan stories are quite good.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2015 :  19:08:37  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as killing characters in undignified fashion goes...Toll the Hounds.

I know GRRM gets a lot of word of mouth for being particularly ruthless, but I think Reaper'S Gale, Toll the Hounds, Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God have their share of scenes and developments that are more horrid than the Red Wedding. I responded pretty strongly to the Snake in Dust of Dreams, and the Forkrul Assail in TCG. Then Beak in Reaper's Gale and a few things in Toll the Hounds: Stony and Harlo, Challice D'Arle and Cutter, Rake and Dancer...the Bonehunters themselves.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2015 :  21:04:28  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hated Coltaine's and Trull's deaths

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  14:53:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact that alot of these dead characters return sort of ruined the effect for me.

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  15:35:52  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by mastermustard

He's had some good stuff, and he's had some not-so-good stuff. I still really enjoy 'Salem's Lot, It, The Tommyknockers, and The Eyes of the Dragon.

Though I will admit that some of those books had unnecessary elements... Particularly It, which had gratuitous sex, profanity, and the run-on sentence from Hell. I've no objections to sex and profanity in stories, so long as they are appropriate to and help the story. In It, this was not always the case.

Between The Stand, the Dark Tower books, Desperation, Salem's Lot, and his awesome Bachman stuff (Long Walk, Regulators), King will always have many places on my bookshelf. Even though I don't enjoy every single one of his books I think he's a talented writer.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  17:08:07  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Entreri: I didn't see the need for Iskar Jarak.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  18:38:25  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are good and bad points to them all. Too many to list either way...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000