Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lords of Waterdeep Board Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  17:49:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had it for several months, and continue to enjoy it. And I echo a lot of what's been said already. A 2 person game plays very differently than a 5 person game. I actually think the replay is higher than something like Agricola, because of the randomness of things like the quests you get, the intrigue cards you can play, and especially the buildings. Less than half of the total number of bonus buildings can be built in any one game, and unless one of the players is the lord that gets points for owning buildings, you're not even guaranteed to get a building built every turn.

So while there is a lot things that become easier in time, and you do learn lessons you continue to apply in all games (ie: don't go for the lieutenant beyond the first few rounds), each game has a lot of variety.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2012 :  02:09:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Snowblood

I wonder will this game be on-sale online so I can order a copy? Where will it be sold?

Snowblood, you'll find that MilSims here in Melbourne, Australia, can order you a copy to replace their sold-out shipments. You'll just have a long wait. It's why I'm considering purchasing it from Amazon in the US, because the wait for any possible further shipments here to Australia, will be long indeed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  03:22:33  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like an expansion for the game is coming out next year. Lords of Waterdeep Expansion: Scoundrels of Skullport is listed as coming out in August of 2013. The blurb says that it includes rules for adding Undermountain and Skullport (or just one or the other) and a 6th player. Skullport adds Corruption (a new resource apparently) and Undermountain adds larger quests. It also mentions new lords and new buildings.

I'm glad the game apparently did well enough to warrant this and I am anxious to see how it turns out.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  10:18:35  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes unfortunatly its a long time till august
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  11:31:17  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really playing the game anymore, I think many games do the same "thing" but better. In terms of boardgames, I personnaly prefer a bit less randomness than LoW, and in some cases none. Still, looking forward to an expansion I'll check it out next year.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  14:35:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen the game, nor have I played any other "Euro-games" that people mention (like settlers of Cataan). However, I've been dating a woman who likes getting people together for games (cards, dominos, dice games, etc...). She's also not very sci-fi/ fantasy knowledgeable (she looked at me funny when I said Boba Fett and is lost when I mention a lot of the movies). I get kind of bored with these games, because they are almost pure chance. I also don't want to play a game that's going to take more than say an hour or two at most, as she's got a 4 year old that requires time. When I heard that Lords of Waterdeep doesn't require extreme knowledge of D&D, I was thinking this might be a good thing. How long does it take to pick up the rules? What's the general feel about this game from the perspective I gave (i.e. does this sound like a good fit... if so, I may drop hints of what I want for Christmas)?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  17:30:01  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas,

The game requires pretty much zero D&D knowledge to play as it merely mimics D&D concepts with it's rules instead of relying on a knowledge or mechanics of the D20 system. That said, as a lover of the Realms I adore the game as all of it's fluff text is 100% authentic to Waterdeep circa 1372 or so. I don't even mind losing (which says a lot given how I play board games, Lol). I've used it as a bonus Realms trivia game while playing, it's that true to the setting. So, your non-Realms people will enjoy it as a pure board game while you get the joy of a nostalgic romp down Sword Street as they do.

As to complexity, it's one of those 'minute to play, lifetime to master' type games. We've played it with all of our non-RPG gaming friends and you can learn it as you play it quite well. By the time you are on your second game you've got all the concepts down. Developing a strategy that allows you to consistently win is a bit trickier, but it lends itself to close endings where the bulk of the players are all within a few points of each other and the 'Hidden Lord' rule usually results in come from behind victories.

It's also fairly short. It has a built in limit of 8 turns (made up of 2 to 4 rounds depending on the number of players) and goes quite quickly. By the end you are wishing for one more round to complete a final quest! You can play it in between 1 and 3 hours every time (with 1 to 2 being most common).

In short, I'd give it a shot. It's a pretty good game for under $40. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to play it.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  01:17:08  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that this game has been out for awhile, I was wondering if anyone has developed house rules, found errors/errata or otherwise created alternate rules to play the game differently?

I still don't have a copy but am angling to (hopefully!) get a copy be the end of the year.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  15:50:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got this game for Christmas (I had my buddy tell his wife to tell my girlfriend on facebook that she heard me and her husband talking about it). I just played it for the first time Saturday. We had 5 players (3 of whom had never played D&D and knew nothing of the forgotten realms). The first half hour was setup and teaching the rough rules and the game lasted a total of 3 hours. So, it was just long enough to be fun (kudos to those who put in the rule that you only have so many turns). The part where you don't reveal who you are as a lord ended up actually being the deciding factor in the game, as the player who won barely snubbed me out in the end because she completed so many quests that helped her as a lord that she earned an extra 28 victory points. I had worried that non-gamers may not enjoy the game, but I have to say we all had fun (we had a 12 year old kid who was playing, and he thanked me personally with no prompting because he'd really had fun... then he turned to his Mom and said she should buy his Dad a copy, and his Dad commented to his wife that there was another couple she was friends with whose husband would like playing <he's a sci-fi/fantasy RPG player>).

After this success, I went online and bought the "order of the stick adventure game". It may be more complex.... hopefully though it can be fun. I've also "heard" of settlers of Cataan, but I've never seen it to know anything about it, so if anyone knows anything about that, I'd be interested to hear.

Rulewise, the rules were pretty easy to pick up. The only questionable thing we found was that whenever you buy a building do you get the victory points that an owner would get... or just the victory points stacked on it (we agreed it was the latter, but our original read we thought the former, but then we hadn't actually placed the VP's from round 1 on the buildings yet... we figured that out the second round).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:03:26  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@sleyvas - Thanks for the review of LoW, I have been thinking about that game for a while.

I terms of Settlers of Catan , I would say that the game opens up a much broader audience. There really is no fantasy feel to it at all; more agrarian (if that makes any sense). It revolves around dice roles, bartering, and building your settlement (roads, villages, farmhouses) outward across a small island while trying to control the trade of some combination of grain, stone, timber, or wool to your advantage. You continue until someone reaches 10 points (which in my experience is probably between one and two hours) and there is probably 20 minutes or so of setup and explanation time required for those coming in cold.

The fact that it features prominently in major bookstores and gaming stores here in Canada is also another reason it has proliferated so heavily IMO. It seems (based on my visits to the States over the last year or two) that the same seems to hold true there as well.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:26:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that Settlers of Catan introduces more randomness (dices) than many Euro-style boardgames, LoW included. It is a very popular game, and rightly so. Easy to understand, relatively quick, and still requires strategy (and it is quite fun). But in the end, if the dices do not roll our way you're done, so don't expect to win every games even if you have the most experience with the game. If you're cool with that, I suggest you try it out.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got an Amazon Gift card for Christmas, and after some deliberation and reading some reviews, decided to pick up LoWD last week. I am thoroughly impressed with it. It is fun and easy to pick up. Our group of four was able to play a game in 2 hours, including time spent referencing the rules (though my wife had read them once through beforehand).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  18:37:08  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got the game for my birthday, so finally I can play it at home with my wife instead of driving all the way to my local game store or bribing a friend. Love it, as always and can't wait for the expansion.

I do have two questions though. The runes on the sides of the box and on the coins. Can anyone tell me what they say or provide me with a book name and page number so I can figure it out myself? A Grand Tour of the Realms mentions the general shape of the Waterdhavian coins on page26, and has the alphabet, but the runes on the box are slightly different from the ones in the campaign setting, or I'm just being overly cautious and picky. :(

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  17:58:53  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Waterdeep is going to be one of the games featured on the new season of Tabletop with Wil Wheaton on YouTube.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  01:20:50  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

Lords of Waterdeep is going to be one of the games featured on the new season of Tabletop with Wil Wheaton on YouTube.

Nice! Love that show.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  02:20:03  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, can't wait to see that episode.

Tabletop sold me on Ticket to Ride and Dragon AGE. I'll most likely pick up Pandemic as well, and maybe Elder Sign. Fortunately Tabletop needs to do no selling for Waterdeep since I own it already.
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  17:09:01  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played both Settlers of Catan and Lords of Waterdeep - I own the former and will likely buy the latter.

SoC is simpler than LoW but, as has been pointed out, is dice-based and so has more randomness, which can lead to players getting shut out fairly early in the game. LoW, on the other hand, is a 'worker placement' type of Euro-game (for which the rules and concept can easily be grasped within about 30 minutes) in which your actions are largely under your control (that being said, it is possible to be prevented by other players' actions from doing what you want to do). While you probably won't win your first few games of either, you may enjoy LoW more because the way the turn sequence is set up means that all players are constantly involved.

LoW requires no knowledge whatsoever of D&D, roleplaying, the D20 system or the Forgotten Realms setting. If you've played other worker placement games (e.g. Caylus, Stone Age, Agricola) you'll grasp it quickly.

For more information, check out http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/110327/lords-of-waterdeep - scroll down past 'Images' and 'Videos' to the 'All' section where you can find reviews or information on rules, strategy, etc.

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  18:01:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For fans of the game, Lords of Waterdeep has been nominated for an Origins Award this year! http://www.flamesrising.com/2013-origins-awards-nominees/

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  19:43:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

methinks I'm missing out on something? Season of Tabletop with Wil Wheaton? What's the premise of this "show" and roughly how long are the episodes?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  23:56:08  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the link to them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzuOBCMtXfs&playnext=1&list=PL4F80C7D2DC8D9B6C

It's a show on YouTube. Episodes run around 20-something minutes to half an hour, longer if they're split into two videos. They recently released extended versions of some of their episodes.

The premise is Wil Wheaton playing board games with his friends (sometimes family) and rotating guests per episode. Some of those friends/guests are celebrities (actors, geek celebs). Others are creatives involved in the entertainment industry (writers, producers), not limited to TV or film, sometimes from publishing (authors), comics (writers, artists), etc. Some are game designers.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  02:16:09  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

For fans of the game, Lords of Waterdeep has been nominated for an Origins Award this year! http://www.flamesrising.com/2013-origins-awards-nominees/

Cheers

That's great! Though I'll be surprised if Kingdom Builder doesn't win.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  07:08:13  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The expansion to Lords of Waterdeep was announced a while ago as Scoundrels of Skullport and it includes new areas encompassing not only Skullport but also Undermountain.

The box art has been revealed (and it's awesome). Listed release date is August 20th. More details at the Wizards.com:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/35790000

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 12 Apr 2013 07:10:32
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  14:41:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool, this will be fun to play.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  15:40:28  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks very cool but 48$ CAN for an expansion??? No way I'm buying it at that price.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  23:57:55  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MSRP is always out of whack with reality. It's currently listed for pre-order at Amazon (USA) for 25% off from the MSRP. With the exchange rate, might be worth the effort to import it.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  04:03:22  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The expansion set looks amazing! I was hoping for one or the other of those locations, it's great that we get both. Now I know why Ed and THO were going on about how excited they were for the expansion to release. It'll be that much more entertaining to have it drop at GenCon. I guess I'll have to join the darn tournament after all...

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  19:40:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got this game, and the expansion, in the mail from Amazon, not ten minutes ago, and looking forward to playing it tonight. Hope it was worth the expense.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  20:23:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played a game at GenCon, and quite liked it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  20:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if you never play the game, the quest cards make great inspiration for a Waterdhavian adventures. I haven't played with the expansion yet. I'm hoping for Santa to be kind. I might have a chance of beating my wife at that game for the first time... ever...

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  21:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The expansion is great. Games can especially get crazy with Skullport, as people are frantically grabbing and replacing corruption tokens. I just wish I could find somewhere around here to play.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000