Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Elven house names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  19:20:31  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do all Elves fall under the umbrella of the various houses, like the drow do? If a PC makes a moon elf character should we always be looking for what family he belongs to (barring orphan, amnesiac, etc plots)?

This came up recently as I have a player with a moon elf wizard who was raised in Evereska. I told the player just the other day that I had found the his "last name" as in I had found the perfect house from him to be from. He responded to me (not fully understanding what I meant) that he already came up with a last name.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  21:40:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Do all Elves fall under the umbrella of the various houses, like the drow do? If a PC makes a moon elf character should we always be looking for what family he belongs to (barring orphan, amnesiac, etc plots)?

This came up recently as I have a player with a moon elf wizard who was raised in Evereska. I told the player just the other day that I had found the his "last name" as in I had found the perfect house from him to be from. He responded to me (not fully understanding what I meant) that he already came up with a last name.

There are a lot of established elven houses (Elves of Evermeet, in particular, is a good place to look for some of those names), and while they are important to some elves, they are not nearly as important as they are to drow.

I'd allow the PC to stick with whatever name he chose... But in this case, I'd also work with him and suggest that his family might be might be a minor sept of this larger elven house. If the player agrees, that can give you some more material to play with as the DM.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  00:27:18  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The esteemed Scribe Snowblood's comprehensive tome on Evereska also has a listing of elven Houses.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  03:48:20  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But do all the various families eventually roll up into one of the major houses eventually?
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  03:13:54  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that, yes, most of the minor branches of elven families do belong to a "House," but because most surface elves aren't so militant as your average drow family, the need to conscript minor members of the family into service is far less.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2011 :  13:39:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably all sun elves care about their family trees, moon elves not so much, or they would all be house Moonflower.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  14:46:48  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

The esteemed Scribe Snowblood's comprehensive tome on Evereska also has a listing of elven Houses.

All canon?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  15:43:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cormanthyr set also had a lot of clans - also, side note on your question, if you read through Menzoberranzan box set you'll find that not every drow has a house name. Those are really just the nobles, plus those they elevate as guards/soldiers/priestesses etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000