Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms ebooks
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  17:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I got a Kindle for Christmas, this might eventually be a good way to fill out the missing tomes from my Realms collection. I already have all of Elaine's books in hard copy, otherwise the release of her novels in eBook form would be way more exciting for me.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  02:39:14  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent. Will have to pick them up. Just got my son to take a break with Drizzt saga and start on the Songs and Swords series. I think he will like the Counselors & Kings trilogy as well.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  15:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned this over in COLD STEEL thread, but I found a way to continue my bookplate tradition for my FR books on Kindle: Kindlegraphs. It's free and somewhat experimental website created by another Seattlelite.

You can get the ebook autographed here:

http://www.kindlegraph.com/authors/rosemaryjones

I'm one of those author fascinated by the possibilities presented by e-books. Print publishing in recent years set some pretty stringent limits on the structure of storytelling. E=books seem to be letting us experiment more. I've been comparing it to the pulp magazine explosion in the early 20th century, which gave us such classics as John Carter of Mars and Conan.

Happy New Year!
Rosemary

Latest news and lots of publishing discussion on Twitter at
www.twitter.com/rosemaryjones

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Spoon
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  08:15:56  Show Profile Send Spoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

The price for each of these books on Amazon.com is $6.39. This strikes me as rather high. I can understand why Del Rel is pricing the Star Wars books at paperback prices, because those books are still in print and therefore ebooks are, in effect, in competition with the printed books. All of the FR books listed above are out of print.

Everything I read suggests that the sweet spot for ebook pricing is between $1.99 and $3.99. I'm a little concerned that the current price will discourage new readers from taking a shot at a new writer/series/setting, as well as the long-time readers who have the physical books but might have picked up the ebooks at a lower price.

Observations? Opinions?

Elaine, I'd like to point out that as an Australian, I think ~$6 USD is a pretty good price for an ebook. Over here, the Mass Market Paperback versions of the books usually go for around $15 each.

Out of curiosity, what is your cut from a $6.39 ebook sale?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  14:33:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I see no reason why an out-of-print ebook should be priced the same as those that are still in print.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  15:56:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spoon

Spoon, WotC contracts contain non-disclosure clauses which prohibit authors from discussing many things, including the terms of the contracts.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  20:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a huge Kindle fan I am thrilled to hear Elaine's books are available! I've read all the Realms books I care to at this point, and wanted to go back and revisit some of my old favorites.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Shardnax
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  14:30:17  Show Profile Send Shardnax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spoon

Elaine, I'd like to point out that as an Australian, I think ~$6 USD is a pretty good price for an ebook. Over here, the Mass Market Paperback versions of the books usually go for around $15 each.

Holy smokes.

At Elaine, or Richard, or any of the other FR authors that might be lurking here :P: Do you know if Wizards planning on releasing any new Forgotten Realms titles as ebook only :(?
Go to Top of Page

nexus99
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  04:20:53  Show Profile Send nexus99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC has been steadily publishing ebook only titles. My bookshelves are crying. As yet I am holding firm on not purchasing... but I only have 10 or so print FR books left to go.. I might cave.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  13:59:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
EVERMEET will be released as an eBook tomorrow, August 7.
Go to Top of Page

Spencer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  00:45:45  Show Profile Send Spencer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought my first ebook today and, lo and behold, I found a formatting error on the first page of the first chapter.
Now I can't trust the integrity of the entire ebook.
Will there be commas missing or slightly jumbled paragraphs? I don't know. Maybe. And unless I buy a hard copy and compare the two, I'll never be sure :(
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  14:41:45  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to run into as many typos as I do in print versions of e-FR books. As for formatting, I don't entirely pretend to understand how paragraphs move to different parts of "pages" sometimes when I flip through stuff, especially when they stay the same if I just flip the iPad on its side instead of vertically (normally I keep it locked the long way unless I get sick of holding it while reading at work and flip it on its side to prop it up on the dashboard against the windshield).

Being sick of buying more bookshelves, I like how more older books are being ebookized. I look at six bucks as book price + convinience charges for saving me the effort of trying to find cheap, non-beaten to hell copies of stuff that's out of print. And I'd be paying at least that much for the in print stuff that is going to take up more space in my house anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Spencer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  01:32:42  Show Profile Send Spencer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of weeks ago I read that authors make the most amount of money per book from hardcovers, and significantly more money from ebooks than paperbacks. Does anyone know if this is true for FR authors? I want to buy the version that most directly supports the author.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  02:06:21  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...I think I need to get a kindle after all. Too bad in Canada the selection is TERRIBLE! I got the Elfsong books (reading dream spheres now) used from amazon. I'll rebuy the books on eformat though once I am sure that I won't be blocked for Canadian content.
Go to Top of Page

Ashran
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  07:41:51  Show Profile Send Ashran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would buy, If I could. In belgium I can't seem to find a retailer of those ebooks.
Go to Top of Page

Ada
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  21:22:44  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know as of about 2 days ago that B&N has 202 FR books that are either available or available for pre-order on their website. I may be off due to new books coming out or books that I did not account for from my research.

Gul Ada Ruin - The Wizard Elf
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  14:30:35  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like both formats but I wish some of the books are in e-books are also in printed formats. I would use them to read while in mass transit.

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page

Tam Zawad
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  23:58:39  Show Profile Send Tam Zawad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Here's the schedule for my books:

August 23, 2011: Starlight & Shadows trilogy
Daughter of the Drow
Tangled Webs
Windwalker

September 9, 2011: City of Splendors (written with Ed Greenwood)

September 20, 2011: ”Songs & Swords” series
Elfshadow
Elfsong
Silver Shadows

I don't konw when or if my other FR books will be released as ebooks, but I'll pass along info as I get it.

The price for each of these books on Amazon.com is $6.39. This strikes me as rather high. I can understand why Del Rel is pricing the Star Wars books at paperback prices, because those books are still in print and therefore ebooks are, in effect, in competition with the printed books. All of the FR books listed above are out of print.

Everything I read suggests that the sweet spot for ebook pricing is between $1.99 and $3.99. I'm a little concerned that the current price will discourage new readers from taking a shot at a new writer/series/setting, as well as the long-time readers who have the physical books but might have picked up the ebooks at a lower price.

Observations? Opinions?

I have paid $5.99 or more for over 40 Realms novels... i dont mind. Most of those were novels Ive never read as well.

The Culler of the Fold
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  07:15:52  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This could be the right thread to make a little anouncement to everybody. Kindle eBooks do not have anything else in them than the text. So no maps or suchs are included. So keep that in mind when thinking the format you are going to buy (i have little options because my geographical location). It would be really nice to get maps with eBooks too!
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  21:10:02  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh? I'm pretty sure that several of my FR e-Books come with maps.

Are you sure that you didn't just buy a novel that never had a map?

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  21:19:45  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book definitely has a map...as the first book of The Sundering it shows the Realms as it is currently just before the Sundering.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  20:11:15  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just FYI "Kobo" books in Canada had a lot of eBooks from the Realms and they have taken tons of them down recently. Very annoying. Apparently they are purging smaller publishers left right and sideways. Books I had purchased including Pool of Radiance and Shadow of the Avatar by Ed are no longer available for sale.

If anyone can influence to change it that would be great.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000