Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  04:16:19  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfway through The Companions, with Night of the Hunter in the queue. I'm noticing that Companions is flowing a whole lot more nicely than The Last Threshold did, and I'm really digging that. It took me a long, long time to get through Threshold. (Maybe I was just subconsciously dragging my feet because I already had had the ending spoiled for me, and I was avoiding it?)

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  11:52:43  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Halfway through The Companions, with Night of the Hunter in the queue. I'm noticing that Companions is flowing a whole lot more nicely than The Last Threshold did, and I'm really digging that. It took me a long, long time to get through Threshold. (Maybe I was just subconsciously dragging my feet because I already had had the ending spoiled for me, and I was avoiding it?)

Probably ! don't spoiled me :P thanks ;)

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  16:05:46  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

Just finished Azure Bonds. Starting The Wyvern's Spur

No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get through WS (managed to get through AB listening to her because the story was so good). The narrator on Audible just didn't do it for me. If I have time to read it (without listening), I'll try and restart.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  18:06:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

quote:

No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get through WS (managed to get through AB listening to her because the story was so good). The narrator on Audible just didn't do it for me. If I have time to read it (without listening), I'll try and restart.

The Wyvern's Spur is a fun book, but it's really something of a standalone, in the series. It does do some setup for the third book, but it stands alone quite well -- and I've in fact read it, by itself, before, because I enjoy it that much.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2014 :  19:00:24  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

The Wyvern's Spur is a fun book, but it's really something of a standalone, in the series. It does do some setup for the third book, but it stands alone quite well -- and I've in fact read it, by itself, before, because I enjoy it that much.

Thanks for the hint ! :D

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  22:14:54  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished The Wyvern's Spur. Started Song of the Saurials

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  18:27:11  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm about 10 years behind, but it sounds like some folks are reading "the classics" so I guess I'm not too far behind.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  18:21:21  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So finished reading The Sundering books, bringing my otal to 79 FR novels read. I am way behind :)
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  20:00:50  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What did you think? On reflection, the Finder's Stone trilogy is my favorite Realms series of all time. I hope you liked it!
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  01:21:26  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Good idea ! i enjoyed it !

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  01:22:18  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

I'm about 10 years behind, but it sounds like some folks are reading "the classics" so I guess I'm not too far behind.

No ! i'm presently giving a rush on 20 years old books ;)

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  01:23:30  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:

What did you think? On reflection, the Finder's Stone trilogy is my favorite Realms series of all time. I hope you liked it!

I'm almost done with Song of Saurials and i really enjoy it. It is a way to write novels in a duo (Grubb & Novak). I think they give something else to it

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  05:54:50  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

17 years of reading Realms books followed by a 10 year hiatus. Now I figure I'll start back at the beginning and just pulled Darkwalker on Moonshea out from the shelves.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  11:53:14  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

17 years of reading Realms books followed by a 10 year hiatus. Now I figure I'll start back at the beginning and just pulled Darkwalker on Moonshea out from the shelves.

How interesting ! i was planning to read it after ;)

Go to Top of Page

Swoff
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2014 :  16:08:43  Show Profile Send Swoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Tangled Webs and starting starting Windwalker.
Also finished listening to The Adversary.
It's like I have two of my five senses getting to drink in great stories!

Can't wait to read the special 'gift' Elaine posted for us all! :0)
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  07:32:49  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What special gift would that be?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 23 Nov 2014 07:33:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  20:35:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not read the Haunted Lands trilogy or the Brotherhood of the Griffon books... Are these related? Is one necessary to read before the other?

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  23:02:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Perhaps, the first few chapters of The Serpent's Daughter?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  23:04:16  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Perhaps, the first few chapters of The Serpent's Daughter?

Very enjoyable. Her voice is missed in the current novel line-up.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  23:19:40  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, she is missed. Elaine defines what elves are in the Realms to me. If 5E is as much a success as Wizards claims, I really hope they can get her back on board. She's one of the greats and I'd love to see a new novel lineup for her.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  16:54:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been reading Realms books for the first time in over a year. Crossed-off Dawnbringer and the Trasitions trilogy from my Realms To-Read list.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  01:08:19  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still reading old novels. Will work on The Empire trilogy after read Realms of shadow. Around 79 novels read in this world

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  01:22:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Still reading old novels. Will work on The Empire trilogy after read Realms of shadow. Around 79 novels read in this world

I remember really enjoying the Empires Trilogy wayyyy back in the day because of the new scenery it offered. It was nice seeing new areas of the Realms. Looking back, the writing probably wasn't too hot but oh well.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  10:59:23  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
loll probably, everything grow with evolution :D

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  11:00:44  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen the difference in the writing type when i read all Drizzt books until ghost king. There is a great evolution in Salvatore's writing over the years :) I have every book after Ghost King signed but yet unread :P

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  14:29:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've seen the difference in the writing type when i read all Drizzt books until ghost king. There is a great evolution in Salvatore's writing over the years :) I have every book after Ghost King signed but yet unread :P

Salvatore's stories are entertaining, but he has several writing choices that really drive me crazy.

Next time you read one of his books count the times he uses the phrase "with abandon" in his sentences. Drives me crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  13:36:36  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to read all of the Realms novels and I'm just finishing number 211 at the moment. I love Ed Greenwood's characters and imagination, however am I the only one who struggles to finish any books of his?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  14:53:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iahn Qoyllor

I'm trying to read all of the Realms novels and I'm just finishing number 211 at the moment. I love Ed Greenwood's characters and imagination, however am I the only one who struggles to finish any books of his?

There have been a few of his books that I kind of skimmed through just to finish. However, I just read Elminster's Daughter and thought it was great compared to the few Elminster books that came before it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  16:52:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iahn Qoyllor

I love his world-building, but his fiction does not work for me. Though, like Artemas, I did find Elminster's Daughter to be considerably more enjoyable than the prior Elminster books.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Apr 2015 16:52:42
Go to Top of Page

sonofsaline
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  20:47:57  Show Profile Send sonofsaline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had bought a few Realms novels when I was in high school, starting with the first, Darkwalker on Moonshae. For some reason I never got around to reading them, and then got rid of them. Since the beginning of this year I have been buying off of eBay and Amazon, and I have about 85% of all of the Realms novels now. I have read the Moonshae trilogy, the Icewind Dale trilogy, and am on Spellfire. It is exciting to think of reading the whole series, which is now almost 300 books. I have rediscovered my love of fantasy that I had as a teenager.

Edited by - sonofsaline on 04 May 2015 20:48:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000