Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Again... Questions about Hobgoblins / Goblinoids
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2011 :  09:06:25  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@markustay:

I can also depicture hobgoblins using wyverns as mounts.

veentually we could start a scroll / article with hobgoblin lore, and eventually it would make it into an issue of the compendium.

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  16:07:49  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
after having received a VERY detailed answer to my questions, the storyline of Markustay with eastern hobgoblins then migrating into western faerun makes even more sense .

they tried the hard way and failed, and now just do as they want, just more secretive.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  20:18:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm always right.

Except when I'm wrong, of course.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  21:03:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elmonster is actually a monk here at Candlekeep, seemingly one who took a vow of silence in 2005.

I do recall a half-serious Elmonster character writeup in the Realms, a kobold or some kind of goblinoid I think ... probably in one of the (paper) Dungeon or Dragon issues. It was unfortunately one of those oddball things that I immediately dismissed as inane stupidity. Elmonster is basically deluded (and has deluded others) into believing he is some kind of epic archmage, he of course views himself as the monstrous nemesis/counterpart of Elminster, I recall he actually has some minor magic items and can perhaps even burn off a few cantrips, but he's certainly not very significant.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 17 Mar 2011 21:05:39
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  02:15:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can't seem to remember whch issue of Dragon Magazine he was in.

Anyhow, for your reading pleasure, may I present The Secret Suren Empire:

In the tribal lands of the Fan-Kiang, where once the mighty Kalmyk Kings strode, live bands of hobgoblins. At least, thats what the humans say....

The truth lies deeper, and appearances can be deceiving. The Kahn of the Fan-Kiang is Chuqali Shilai, a giant brute of a man, or so it is said. Shilai is actually a Hobgoblin ('Great Goblin'), but he does not appear in front of non-goblinoids without his war-helmet, which covers his entire head. The bestial visage displayed on the helmet is actually a sly joke, because it is a likeness of Shilai himself.

Which demonstrates just how clever the Suren are. None would guess that the 'mask' hides a face that is precisely the same. This lies at the very heart of the Suren's success, compared to most other Humanoids. They managed to avoid the notice of Humans (and demi-humans). The few non-Suren that suspect the truth usually disappear rather abruptly, soon after the first instance of them trying to share their information.

One of the few humans that knew the truth was the former leader of the Assassins of Sentinelspire, The Old Man, but the Hobgoblins knew enough things about the assassins that both parties kept each other's secrets. In fact, Shilai's father Chuqali Taurasht carried-on a endless game of counter-spying with the Citadel, and he earned a begrudging respect (and perhaps even friendship) from The Old Man. Up until the time of The Old Man's Death, Hobgoblin Assassins were trained at Sentinelspire (the current leader is unaware of the true nature of the Fan-kiangs).

The Hobgoblins are very organized, but keep others out of their private territory (the city of Li-Raz is completly off-limits to non-goblinoids). The human members of their 'tribe' surround them on three sides, and those are the Fan-Kiang that outsiders deal with, who report back to Li-Raz and Shilai. The Hobgoblins know their greatest weapon is secrecy, and that humans will not act without knowledge of their enemies. Since the time of Shilai's great-grandfather, the Suren have sent scouts out amongst other Hobgoblin tribes, at first just around the wastes, and then further-afield into Faerūn.

The scouts - originally known as Bulg-Krashat ('hidden fist') - began to call themselves 'The Drummers', both as parody of the Harpers whom they mimic in some ways, and also to further hide their true nature. Most larger tribes of hobgoblins - in the east and in the west - have at least one 'Drummer'. Larger tribes may have several. They function as as both an aid to the chief, an emissary to other tribes, and as the tribe's Stregga (like a Norse Skald, a combination musician, poet, and story-teller). It is the job of 'The Drummer' (Pa-Thom) to tell the young hobgoblins about their history, and train them in the ways of war (Not melee - the Stregga teaches cubs about the art of war, including the use of trap-tactics and subterfuge). This is how the hobgoblins of the Wastes teach their folk to 'walk in shadows', and always use others to accomplish their goals. It is of the utmost importance humans and their kin do not ever learn the true cleverness of the Suren.

Another reason for the name 'Drummer' is the special war-drum (Thom) they carry, about a meter in diameter (the length of a Hobgoblin's arm). They use these to signal other tribes, to great affect. Even many goblin and orc tribes have a drummer amongst them, so that they have an uninterrupted system of communication that spans the continent when the need arises. This is used to rally defenses when necessary, and also to warn certain tribes to disperse (or leave their lackeys 'holding the bag') when humans (and others) get 'too close to the truth', So affective are these drums for signaling that the Tuigan have copied their use. The truth is they taught the Tuigan - another way to sew dis-information - so that anyone else traveling around the Wastes and elsewhere will not find it suspicious and question who is doing it, or why.

Like the Harpers they darkly mirror, Drummers gather information, plant false information, sew descent where needed, bring peace to warring goblinoids (where needed), provide safe passage for other Drummers traveling through their region (and give them messages to pass-on), etc, etc... they have even found a way to secretly leave signs behind for other Drummers to find, in the way that the Harpers leave runes - they use their own excrement! The exact placement, shape, and any 'debris' (carefully arranged, of course) found therein are all part of 'the code', and thus-far no non-Drummer has even been able to figure out that this is being used this way. Goblin fecal matter dries rock-hard and will last for years if undisturbed - just one more way they demonstrate their cunning.

{to be continued... if you want...}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  02:17:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely continue!

In my opinion, hobgoblins never get enough lore-love.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  02:38:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They get more love than bullywugs. As do even the lowly kobolds.

+1 Lore Point for Markus, you rock.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  10:54:50  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In th egiantspire Mountains is a pretty nasty kingdom of Hobgoblins - the nation of impiltur was founded when the city states of the region had to untie against

"hobgoblin Hordes" from the giantspire mts. pouring down...

interesting - doe not fit at all to what we have collected about hobgoblins so far :)
maybe the succubus who led them was the reason..... men are all the same, no matter what race as it seems hehehehe

year was 1097 in GHOTR

anyone have more information on this?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  22:42:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George Krashos probably will.

I think Succubus are deigned to appeal to all males - they will appear with all the most desirable features, regardless of race (almost like a pervasive Glamour effect).

Also being 3(4?) centuries ago, that could be the reason why my hypothetical eastern hobgoblins began to send their 'Drummers' further west - after that debacle (and subsequent mass-extermination of anything hobgoblin in the unapproachable east), the eastern Hobs (Suren) decided to 'enlighten' their western brethren on 'proper Hobgoblin conduct'.

Another bit of HB lore - The western goblins (Bakemono) are a failed attempt at another 'improved' goblin, by breeding goblins with urd. The results were less then satisfactory.

Drummers con't...
Drummers will always wear there large thom (drum) on their backs when on foot. However, they prefer to be mounted, and will keep the drum hanging to one side while on horseback. Some drummers will carry two drums in this fashion, one on each side. While traveling in The Wastes, and the more rural areas of Kara-Tur, they will ride large warhorses, in the style of western knights (including barding), rather then the smallish 'ponies' used by the Tuigan*. Since this behavior would seem odd for hobgoblins in western lands, they normally travel afoot in those lands, so as not to draw attention to themselves. When in their home territory, some may make use of the Pterroc (a large offshoot of pteradons), and some scant few have earned Snapjaws (think WH 'Cold Ones' - small T-Rex's). These rarer mounts will never be taken far from their home territories, though, for fear of discovery or capture.

Another reason for not wearing their drums upon their backs when at home in the east is because they wear their swords upon their backs, in special break-away scabbards. They have learned to draw their weapons in a fashion similar to the samurai of the east (the technique is called Battou Jutsu), but they will not use this form while in the western lands. It is extremely hard to master and would demonstrate a very high level of intelligence and skill - something Suren hobgoblins do not want others to suspect. At least one other group of Suren have learned the style, but the majority do not employ it. It is most effective for surprising foes who do not think you are armed and/or capable (and since Drummers hide their true skill most times, this is a very important aspect - most folks look to your hip for a weapon).

Each Drummer wears his own armor, and it varies greatly, and can be any armor type used anywhere the Suren have explored. Most Drummers assigned to the western heartlands wear armor appropriate for that region, but not all. The lack of uniformity is also important to them, and they purposely try to mislead humanish types by using armor and weapons from a multitude of regions. Ergo, two Pa-thom traveling with the same band of goblinoids will look completely different, and will not cause anyone to take notice.

Because of their work as ambassadors, the Drummers can be well-spoken, and often speak a large number of languages from the region to which they are assigned. Since the Drummers are rotated around quite a bit, every few years, they will also know some surprising languages (as one Zakharan trader found out as he traveled up the old Veldorn road to Mulhorand, and was addressed in Midani - his own tongue - by the leader of 'goblin bandits'!). Under normal circumstances, Pa-thom will try to keep their cunning well-hidden from non-humanoids, often acting crass and stupid (like an orc) to great affect. Many a human, dwarf, and elven opponent were taken by complete surprise when their foe suddenly 'smartened up'. Due to the naturally wary nature of Gnomes and Halflings, those races rarely fall for such tricks. In fact, Suren hobgoblins try to avoid halflings whenever possible (it is almost a superstitious fear for them).

All Pa-Thom (Drummers) are of the Bard class, although some are multi-classed fighters, rogues, and even sorcerors. Their primary duty is to observe and teach (other goblinoids), but take very little direct action, and report back to Li-Raz and Chuqali Shilai. They act as ambassadors to most of the non-human folk of The Wastes, accept when prudence deems this unsuitable. While this means ordinarily a human Fan-Kiang tribesman will be dispatched, there are exceptions: The Ogre Chieftan Tcharl was used to deal with Yamun Khahan's forces, in order to 'impress' the high Khan's son (which worked, but they were still turned-down). They have been known to deal with the Bhuka (desert goblins) of the Desert of Desolation (eastern Raurin), and the Crucians (a dry-adapted variant of the Kappa) of the Quoya Desert. They do not have good relations with the Marru of the Deep (southern) Raurin, who consider themselves superior to all other creatures. All of these races can be found in Sandstorm.

The Drummers have very little love for the Maelthrat (powerful hobgoblin religious group), who have their own 'spy-network' and try to assert as much control as possible over their fellow Suren. Pa-thom look dimly at their aggressive and expansionist views, and council Chuqali Shilai to avoid following their policies.

To Be Continued...

*Non-Tuigan barabrian tribes use a variety of mounts, including camels, horses of all types, and even elephants, giant lizards, and Erdlu (actually, a creature imported from Zakhara, similar enough to the Athasian Erdlhu to use it stats). All barabarian tribes of The Endless wastes (The Taan) are considered Tangaan, but only those of predominanlty shou ancestry are considered Tuigan. At least three other racial groups can be found in the Taan.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Mar 2011 03:43:11
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  23:10:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to it Markus. Your Pa-Thom lore is exquisite.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  11:44:56  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dear fellow sages, today I present one prestige class for Goblins - The worg rider. I found it a while ago in the Internet

Worg Riders

One of the very few things that goblins are naturally good at is riding a Worg. A Worg Rider, a goblin specially trained and mounted on a worg wolf, is one of the most feared and dangerous soldiers in the armies of darkness. The pair, rider and worg, are masters of battle tactics. They favor charges, and whenever possible they implement their ride-by attack to take advantage of their two attacks. This tactic can indeed be deadly to the unprepared.

Any of the dark folk who are sufficiently small and light can become Worg Riders, but for social reasons almost all Worg Riders are goblins. A goblin Worg Rider gains the respect of his goblin community and also the superior races. Becoming a Worg Rider is a dangerous proposition, though. Worgs are known to test their prospective riders by attacking them. It takes a courageous and battle hardened goblin to withstand such an attack. The only proven method for becoming a successful Worg Rider is by besting a worg in combat. Thereafter the worg will respect and obey the rider. Otherwise worgs have been known to turn on their riders at inopportune times such as in the middle of a battle. Even though becoming a Worg Rider is extremely dangerous, many goblins aspire to become one of these elite soldiers. Their dogged persistence and small size often help them to achieve this goal.
Hit die: d10
Requirements

To qualify to become a Worg Rider, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Skills: Balance: 2 ranks, Handle Animal: 6 ranks, Riding: 10 ranks
Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack, Spirited Charge
Special: To become a Worg Rider, a character must have successfully established dominance over his worg mount. This process takes at least two months before the pair can successfully ride together in battle. Once the bond of master and servant is established between worg and rider, the death of either of the pair can be disastrous to the other. If the worg dies, the Worg Rider must re-establish dominance with a new worg. This process once again takes a full two months. Without a sufficiently submissive mount, a Worg Rider is unable to draw upon his class abilities. If a rider dies, his worg mount will become wild, attacking friend and foe alike. He will never again become a mount and becomes completely uncontrollable.

Class Skills

The Worg Rider's class skills are Balance, Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Profession, Ride, Spot, Survival.

Skill points at each level: 4+ Int modifier.
Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Worg Rider is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields. Note that armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Pick Pockets, and Tumble.

Intimidating Charge: A Worg Rider on the back of a charging worg is a frightening sight. At level one, a Worg Rider gains the ability to make an intimidate check in combat against a foe as a free action. This ability is only useable when the Worg Rider charges during combat, and the Worg Rider can only use it once per foe in a single combat. He gains a +1 circumstance bonus to the intimidate check at level 3, a +2 bonus at level 5, a +3 bonus at level 7, and a +4 bonus at level 9.

Don't Spare the Whip: Through the use of a heavy hand and force of personality the Worg Rider can spur his mount to faster speeds. This ability allows the mounted Worg Rider to add 10 feet to his worg's movement rates if the worg and rider do nothing else in a round except move.

Mounted Fighting: Worg Riders are extensively trained to fight while mounted on their worgs. As such, at level four they receive a bonus to hit and damage on all attacks while mounted. Such training comes at the exclusion of other forms of combat, so the Worg Riders receives a -1 penalty to hit on all unmounted attacks. These bonuses to attacks and damage increase to +2 at level 6 and +3 at level 8. He never suffers more than a -1 to hit while unmounted, however.

Close the Gap: Through intensive practice and an inherent killer instinct, the Worg Rider has learned to close on his enemies quickly. This ability allows the mounted Worg Rider to charge at x3 his movement rate. Note that the charge still must occur in a straight line as per the normal charge rules.

Stunning Charge: At level 10, the Worg Rider learns to use his mount's weight and speed to vicious effect. Once per combat the Worg Rider may charge with his mount and make a stunning attack on a victim. The Rider must be at least 30 feet from the victim and have a straight line of attack. The Worg Rider must make an attack roll with no bonus from the charge. If he hits, the victim makes a FORT save with the DC being the number of ranks the Worg Rider has in his ride skill; failure means that the target is knocked prone and stunned for 2d4 rounds. This attack is a full round action similar to a charge, although neither the mount nor rider get an attack bonus or an AC penalty. If the attack misses, the use is lost, and if a creature is immune to stuns, it is immune to Stunning Charge. Mounts cannot use Stunning Charge if carrying heavy loads. A Stunning Charge can be combined with any of the other Worg Rider's class abilities.

Level Abilities: The Worg Rider
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1st +1 +2 +2 +0 Intimidating Charge
2nd +2 +3 +3 +0 Don't Spare the Whip
3rd +3 +3 +3 +1 Intimidating Charge +1
4th +4 +4 +4 +1 Mounted Fighting, Close the Gap
5th +5 +4 +4 +1 Intimidating Charge +2
6th +6 +5 +5 +2 Mounted Fighting +2
7th +7 +5 +5 +2 Intimidating Charge +3
8th +8 +6 +6 +2 Mounted Fighting +3
9th +9 +6 +6 +3 Intimidating Charge +4
10th +10 +7 +7 +3 Stunning Charge
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  00:48:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, any more Drummer lore? I was looking forward to that.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  03:49:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, sorry, I was busy doing a conversion (using Empyrean) placing it nearby, and had intended to tie some of it together (hence, why I stopped).

Going away for a week starting tomorrow, but I'll have something as soon as I get back.

And also, in the other Goblin thread, I had found some hobgoblins - working with Ogre-Magi - in the Firesteap Mts on the border of The Shaar (the info is in the 3e SS).

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  23:31:05  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again fellow sages.

Here is the first short article / summary about MY STONELANDS, before spellplague. More precisely about one of the new powers in the region ( at least a potential one )

The Red Legion

Headquarters: An old Oghrann mining camp, between the goblin marshes and the high moors in the stonelands. It is situated in the ravines which the small streams of water carve into the countryside, and one can pass right over ti without discovering.
Headcount: About 700 ( 56% Hobgoblin, 34% Goblin, 5% Bugbear, 2% Ogre, 3% Other )
Hierarchy: Military
Leader: Tithulka, the "Red" ( F8 LL3 )
Religion: Maglubiyet
Alignment: LN, LE, NE
Secrecy: Medium
Symbol: The Symbol of the Red Legion is a red clenched fist in a spiked gauntlet before a black background.

Hierarchy
The Hierarchy is strictly military, the chain of command following the military ranks each individuals have. Besides Tithulka there are Grusg (LE, m Hobgoblin F8 ) and Indikrarg ( LE, m Hobgoblin C9 )as main authority figures. In addition there are several indivuduals of the red Guard, each either a long term battle-brother of Tithulka himself, or former tribe- or warband leaders, including Bugbears and goblins, who have either been conquered of voluntarily joined the ranks of the Legion. The Bulk of the tribe are still warriors, which are being retrained in the newly found HQ in the Stonelands into fighters, scouts etc. the full pride of the Legion are the "RED Guard" troopers, roughly two dozen Hobgoblins, armed with the best assortment of weapons available. In addition to the Red Guard they have a growing number of Goblin elite-archers, currently close to 20.

Motivation and Goals:

Right now the Legion has the goals to further their hold of the surrounding area near their HQ. The long term goal which Tithulka is working on the forming of a Hobgoblin nations which can rivalize the glory of old Hlundadim, but under no rule of any Demon or Devil. The role of orcs, as they are today, is also not sure for Tithulka.
So far, through either hard battles or other methods, the Legion has befriended or subjugated several other Hobgoblin an Goblin tribes in the Stonelands and the Sunset Mountains, including the Bloody Spear Hobgoblin tribe in the Sunsets and the Bugsmasher Goblins in the stonelands.

Tithulka, the "RED"

Tithulka spent his years as as young Hobgoblin in the never ending struggle between the different tribes of the stonelands region. He joined his first raidng party when he was thirteen years of age, after being welcomed as a full warrior of the tribe. something inside him always stung like a dagger when they had to hide from cormyrians patrols, and even did not dare to attack well guarded caravans or the spies or orcish zhent-slavers.
this led to more and more issues with his warband-leader, until it came to the point where blades were drawn. in an open fight before the warband tithulka slew th eold boss and made himself leader of 21 hobgoblin warriors.
he instantly led his warband away from the stonelands, first into the mercenary service of zhentil keep. During this time, and the fighting and pillaging within the conflicts with the dales, hillsfar and many other regions of the moonsea area he learned to recognize the value of the human organization. especially the value of arcane and divine magic, made it clear to him, how his own people, due to being one of the best warrior races on faerun never could achieve big goals or anymore beat human elven or dwarven armies in open field. they simply had nothing to directly counter magic.
He directly steered several of the members of his warband into careers as clerics, mages and even one sorcerer.

Zhentil keep was sufficient for a couple of years as mercenary host, after which he ventured back into the stonelands clearly aiming to establish the old realm of hlundadim. - but also fully aware of the necessary long-term planning, according to the neighbouring power-houses.
The remaining members of his warband, nine hobgoblins in total, are today his most trusted cohorts and assistants and brothers. In addition he brought several capable goblins with him, also holding ranks of influence in the newly formed legion.

As the "red Fist" - mirroing a human adventuring group, with 13 members, they had immense training during their mercenary times, and managed to slay and beat subdue foes, no other hobgoblin or goblinkin - tribe ever could nowaday.

His battle-name "the RED" simply was given to him, as he usually was dripping with blood from hi enemies after each battle. - A habit he enjoys up to today.

Ok so far so good. more information coming shortly.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  12:54:41  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just found that scroll, and noticed you couldn't find the Elmonster reference. If you haven't found it since then, it's on Dragon # 199, in the "Crude, but effective" article.

EDIT: In time, are there canon references for hobgoblins in Kara-Tur?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 31 Aug 2015 18:07:53
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  18:10:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

also, Ed had said there was a hobgoblin cult that could be
powerful in the Realms today, but he elaborated no more
on it.

Althen and sages, where can I find this reference?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  19:20:43  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

also, Ed had said there was a hobgoblin cult that could be
powerful in the Realms today, but he elaborated no more
on it.

Althen and sages, where can I find this reference?

I believe it was one of Eds answers delivered to us by the delicious Hooded One, around the same time as the thread, so probably the 2011 ones...
Might get back at you, later (if some else hasn't linked already).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  20:30:46  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He may be referencing her answer to Yakuta Khan at the bottom part of this scroll.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  14:24:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Bladewind!

EDIT: Wonderful response by Ed, BTW. But apparently not related to a powerful hobgoblin CULT, which seems to be the question here...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 01 Sep 2015 19:04:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  19:23:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall any references to them - the authors of the K-T material made sure to stick to only Oriental monsters and character types. Even The Horde material barely touched upon any western people or critters (not a lot of eastern, either - it did its own thing).

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Going away for a week starting tomorrow, but I'll have something as soon as I get back.
I was wondering why I didn't get back to this...

Then I remembered thats the weekend my house burned down.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Sep 2015 19:24:45
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  19:39:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely thinking of putting Hobgoblins in Kara Tur and the Hordelands.

Those masked samurai that have demon faces on them always reminded me of hobgoblins.

I think a race of evil, militaristic humanoids that are stealthy and secretive would fit in quite well in Kara Tur (and even better if you put a hood on a hobgoblin they could be mistaken for a leprous human), they could be the beginnings of the evil cults in Kara Tur (and the Hordelands), perhaps the beginnings of ninja type creatures, and responsible for all sorts of bogeymen myths and legends.

And since GK gave us one potential origin of hobgoblins way back before -10000 DR and in the Unapproachable East there is a possibility they were able to travel to Kara Tur (they travelled everywhere else, even as far as Amn/Tethyr - although those hobgoblins might be from a different source of origin)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2015 :  18:20:28  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've asked this before, but since there is more info on it now, does this book update us on the current events, or is it just for adventure/gaming purposes?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2015 :  19:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's interesting of you look at Tolkien's The Hobbit and LOTR, since it is major source material, that orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins are different names for the same race, the only difference to Tolkien was physical size, with goblins being small to medium, orcs medium, and hobgoblins medium to medium-large. In the same way we differentiate (to over simplify) white, black, Asian, Native American, etc, you could do the same with goblin, orc, and hobgoblin. That nod to Tolkien was evident in the first edition rules, when Goblinoids and Giant-class humanoids (minus Titans & Storm Giants, plus a few other humanoids, like trolls) were the species enemy of the ranger class.

Of course it's all background since the rules define goblin, orc, and hobgoblins as different races.

Edited by - Rymac on 06 Sep 2015 19:56:09
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2015 :  21:12:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted in the wrong thread heh. I meant to click on a different one. My bad

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2015 :  16:38:16  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal
I think a race of evil, militaristic humanoids that are stealthy and secretive (...)

Hobgoblins are more militaristic but bugbears are the stealthy ones, right?

EDIT: Unless you consider the hobgoblins' discretion as a group, as mentioned in Ed's post, of course. In combat, they are more "fighters" than bugbears, who attack by suprise and ambush, as far as I know.
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal
And since GK gave us one potential origin of hobgoblins way back before -10000 DR and in the Unapproachable East there is a possibility they were able to travel to Kara Tur (they travelled everywhere else, even as far as Amn/Tethyr - although those hobgoblins might be from a different source of origin)

Can you please point the sources of these afirmations with more precision?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 10 Sep 2015 13:07:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly