Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  04:43:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm assuming that the 'Keep will be deserted the night of December 18th, 2015... So I am comfortable sharing this image of a X-Wing fighter from Episode VII.

It looks like a Z-95 Headhunter, but Lucasfilm has confirmed it is an X-Wing. If you look closely at the way the cannons are mounted to the wingtips, you can see that the S-foils are there, but not in the same format as the T-65B from the Classic Trilogy.

I saw this on my tablet, first... It wasn't until I was looking at it on my work computer that I noticed the mouse droid in the picture!

Looky!

A good chunk of my morning was spent on "no, that's not a Z-95, but Z-95s are already in the new canon because they were in the Clone Wars cartoon."

It was also confirmed during a Star Wars: Rebels press release earlier this year at... I want to say New York Comic Con, but I could be in error on the event.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  11:50:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paramount just bought the rights to Old Mans War by John Scalzi. I enjoyed reading the books in this series and the first book certainly has a lot of potential on shine on the big screen. On the other hand nobody wants another disaster like Ender's Game.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  16:00:28  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not gone back through some/any of the comments here to catch up, but I am guessing that TV shows are good to comment on. Also, any repeats of movies mentioned will just be a +1 in favor. :)

Watched season 1 of Vikings. Moving on to season 2. If that isn't for Realms/D&D fans nothing is.
Set in the future and on a dystopian train with what is left of society is Snowpiercer, one of the best movies I have seen this year because it is unique and just kicks some (x)
The Raid and The Raid 2 are martial arts, but non-stop action. Really well choreographed fight scenes with many of them using hand-to-hand weapons.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  11:50:35  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a separate thread for Tv shows but lets not be pedantic. Vikings is a great show, I absolutely loved the first season but please no spoilers about season two. I havent gotten around to watching it yet.
Snowpiercer looks great but unfortunately it don't think its been released in my country yet. I will definitely buy the DVD once it shows up though.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  06:33:20  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or does the new Amazing Spiderman not even hold a candle to Toby McGuire as both P.P. and the neighborhood nuisance?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  13:13:40  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not you. I didn't care much for the first of the reboot series and frankly couldn't even be bothered to watch the second one and I am a guy who has been reading about spidey since I was a kid.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  15:20:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Is it just me or does the new Amazing Spiderman not even hold a candle to Toby McGuire as both P.P. and the neighborhood nuisance?

From some posts I made earlier in the year during this scroll's previous SPIDER-MAN discussion:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

All I will say is that, considering the first Amazing Spider-Man has, so far, been the ONLY Marvel-related-character film that I've ever actually considered walking out on [and this includes a midnight screening of Daredevil, and then later the second Ghost Rider film], I'm still attempting to find some degree of enthusiasm for the second Spidey film.

I mean, really, with what Marvel films can achieve... with The Avengers and, now, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Sony really either needs to hire better writers/directors, or just sell the rights back to Disney/Marvel.

quote:

I'd be content for Sony just to hire some of the capable screenwriters and directors working for Marvel, now, once their own licenses/contracts expire. Really, Sony just needs to show a little more love for the mythos of the characters they're utilising in their comic book films.

And I say this, now, especially, AFTER seeing The Amazing Spider-Man 2. This just isn't what I'm expecting to see for my favourite Marvel super hero on the silver screen.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  18:08:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch. I never DID go see it myself, Sage. It's already coming out on DVD, and I don't even plan on buying it (or the first one, either) until it hits the 5$ bin at my local Wal-Mart. However, I AM buying TMNT the MINUTE it hits stores!! I loved it so much I saw it TWICE!! (And never mind that my ticket[s] was/were free both times, thanks to Crush and the Nick TMNT promos.) GotG was awesome, too. Especially the Easter Egg at the end!! (Those who've seen it know what I mean- nice nod to another Marvel hero!!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  02:57:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The GotG Easter Egg at the end was kind of cool. But, still, I'm disappointed that Marvel broke with the tradition of hinting at what's coming next -- especially since that's usually what the end-credits scenes are for. [Though, I suppose they broke with that already, since I recall the end of Iron Man 3 didn't really set the trend for the next film.]

I'm just rambling. GotG was fantastic! Here's hoping Adam Warlock has more of a place in the cast for the sequel.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  14:53:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The GotG Easter Egg at the end was kind of cool. But, still, I'm disappointed that Marvel broke with the tradition of hinting at what's coming next -- especially since that's usually what the end-credits scenes are for. [Though, I suppose they broke with that already, since I recall the end of Iron Man 3 didn't really set the trend for the next film.]

I'm just rambling. GotG was fantastic! Here's hoping Adam Warlock has more of a place in the cast for the sequel.

Im hoping the end credits scene means that Comrade Cosmo will be on the team in the next go around

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  00:23:42  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i can't think of any really good fantasy films tbh but i'm always open to recommendation. it's just a hard thing to do right i think. like a straight up D&D-ish fantasy with all the common tropes, they can't even get the generic stuff right generally let alone fun and interesting takes on it.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  07:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw "As Above, So Below" Sunday afternoon. The whole time the protagonists are in the Catacombs of Paris I kept thinking, there is a real-world parallel to Undermountain, or the Dungeon of the Crypt (or any other fantasy dungeon ever created under a medieval metropolis).

Great movie BTW, if you can stand the shaky cam, found-footage style of film-making.

Edited by - Rymac on 01 Sep 2014 07:54:34
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  17:02:58  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All of the Phase 2 films broke that tradition. Iron Man 3 didn't do it. Thor 2 skipped cap2 and hinted at gotg, then Winter Soldier skipped gotg and hinted at Avengers 2.

Edited by - lordsknight185 on 01 Sep 2014 17:07:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  04:12:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

All of the Phase 2 films broke that tradition.
Not quite. Of the films you listed, the end-credits scenes still hinted at upcoming films. Iron Man 3 was the first to set just a scene between characters that didn't really lay out any hints for future films.

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  03:29:59  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not quite. Of the films you listed, the end-credits scenes still hinted at upcoming films. Iron Man 3 was the first to set just a scene between characters that didn't really lay out any hints for future films.

I understand now! *cough*
I misunderstood your meaning, and in that case you are correct.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  03:49:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry. Probably should have made myself clearer.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  04:55:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

At least, that's what we think right now...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  02:52:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True enough.

I've always been curious about the idea of Marvel producing a Iron Man/Hulk team-up live-action film. Considering the long and established "working together/against-each-other" history they have in the comic books, this wouldn't be totally without precedent, after all.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Sep 2014 02:55:19
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  13:42:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think its a good idea to have more than one Superhero in a movie. Black widow was awesome in Cap 2 after all but you think were kind of left wondering the rest of the avengers were.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  04:56:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I think its a good idea to have more than one Superhero in a movie. Black widow was awesome in Cap 2 after all but you think were kind of left wondering the rest of the avengers were.

There's an official chronology floating around somewhere on the web, that supposedly documents the activities of the other Avengers whilst the events of a particular film, like The Winter Solider, were occurring.

Plus, there's official Marvel comic books that sometimes pick up the slack. Like the miniseries detailing the location of War Machine during the events of The Avengers and the Battle of New York.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  13:26:01  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There's an official chronology floating around somewhere on the web, that supposedly documents the activities of the other Avengers whilst the events of a particular film, like The Winter Solider, were occurring.

Plus, there's official Marvel comic books that sometimes pick up the slack. Like the miniseries detailing the location of War Machine during the events of The Avengers and the Battle of New York.

Ah but they must have had to stretch the facts a bit. What could be more important than an alien invasion or hydra taking over the world after all.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  14:05:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah but they must have had to stretch the facts a bit. What could be more important than an alien invasion or hydra taking over the world after all.

It's not like those things were on a published timetable. The Battle of New York began and ended in a single day; it likely wasn't more than a few hours. Ditto for the Hydra takeover.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  14:15:21  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How long would it take for a superhero to fly down to New York or where ever SHIELD headquarters was located . Its not like they have to fly coach.
Sure maybe they show up late for something but if we dont even get a glimpse of them or at least a news report saying something on the lines of the Hulk is busy smashing Hydra agents in New Mexico and cant come to the party. Then people feel that its not very realistic and frankly most of the audience has never read a comic book in their lives and has no intention to start now so are completely unaware of the tie in books that attempt to justify their absence.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  20:29:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dono how to cnp from my tablet, but has anybody seen the ''leaked'' Deadpool movie test footage? Freaking awesome!

Deadpool vs. Bats?! Haha

54% Nightwing vs. 46% Gambit boo!

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 05 Sep 2014 20:39:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  23:06:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How long would it take for a superhero to fly down to New York or where ever SHIELD headquarters was located . Its not like they have to fly coach.
Sure maybe they show up late for something but if we dont even get a glimpse of them or at least a news report saying something on the lines of the Hulk is busy smashing Hydra agents in New Mexico and cant come to the party. Then people feel that its not very realistic and frankly most of the audience has never read a comic book in their lives and has no intention to start now so are completely unaware of the tie in books that attempt to justify their absence.

For them to be able to fly down, they would have to know what was happening and be free to do something about it. If someone is off-grid or simply not paying attention, then yes, the entire Battle of New York could have been over before they even knew about it.

Personally, I assumed that like Elminster and the Chosen, they can't always drop everything and rush off to the next crisis. It's not like there's only one city in the entire world, and only one set of bad guys.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  23:08:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got to see Guardians of the Galaxy, which I quite enjoyed. My wife liked it, too, and she was iffy about going to see it.

I liked the disclaimer in the credits -- "No raccoons or plant creatures were harmed or killed in the making of this movie."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  02:52:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, the Mandarin's growing reign of terrorism against the US, for one. That's why War Machine wasn't in The Avengers, according to Marvel. Because he was investigating -- on behalf of Stark and SHIELD, the Ten Rings organisation in the Middle East, and the Mandarin's network of terror-agents.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  14:22:22  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, the Mandarin's growing reign of terrorism against the US, for one. That's why War Machine wasn't in The Avengers, according to Marvel. Because he was investigating -- on behalf of Stark and SHIELD, the Ten Rings organisation in the Middle East, and the Mandarin's network of terror-agents.

OK so maybe he was busy in the Middle East or something. The relative merit of preventing terrorism compared to fighting off a full scale alien invasion is debatable but lets not get into that.
Funny video
Capn America 2 was a great movie but not without its flaws , the plan was overly convoluted and some more superhero back up could have easily been provided. I mean where was Hawkeye or Iron man? Both of whom are intimately involved with SHIELD.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  14:45:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK so maybe he was busy in the Middle East or something. The relative merit of preventing terrorism compared to fighting off a full scale alien invasion is debatable but lets not get into that.
I wouldn't be so quick to discount the threat posed by the Mandarin. Those Extremis enhanciles had the potential to become one of the most, perhaps even THE most, world-based threat any of the Avengers or SHIELD could face.
quote:
Funny video
Capn America 2 was a great movie but not without its flaws , the plan was overly convoluted and some more superhero back up could have easily been provided. I mean where was Hawkeye or Iron man? Both of whom are intimately involved with SHIELD.

There's rumours that Barton's absence during The Winter Soldier will be partly explained by Season Two of the SHIELD television series. Which makes sense... considering that the second half of the first season of that show pretty much served as a side-sequel of sorts to The Winter Soldier film.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  12:56:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well lets see how that goes. Season one of that show was a bit underwhelming after all so I hope they are able to do a better job this time.
I love most of the Marvel films, but this is one aspect that i always had a problem with. Hopefully DC will do a better job in creating an integrated universe.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000