Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  15:52:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

There are also talks that given that they couldn't work around the mutant explanation for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch's characters, Marvel might tie up their powers with Loki's staff. Hmm, don't know what I'd feel if they really opt for that.

That's really the only option left. They can't specifically state that Wanda and Pietro are mutants... because that's left to Fox. So it's either suggesting that their powers originate as something connected to the strange energies already swirling in the Marvel cinema-verse, or lay the foundation that they are just inherent "super-powers." Which really won't work in the universe of these films.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  04:36:29  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless Marvel (meaning Disney) is working on getting the rights back? I could possibly see that, with Disney's deep pockets. It would not only let them do the mutant thing with those two, but they could then make other X-related movies, too, like X-Factor (gawds, I'd LOVE to see that bunch on screen!) and Excalibur. Heck, that would let them bring in a whole BUNCH of characters, like Black Tom, Alpha Flight, the Shi'ar, and others. Heck, Beast and Wolverine have both been Avengers, so that would tie in nicely. I really hope they do this eventually.

All that would be left would be getting Spidey back from Sony. After what they've done with the wall-crawler, I hope it happens soon. So far, I'm unimpressed with the reboot movies....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  13:45:56  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Unless Marvel (meaning Disney) is working on getting the rights back? I could possibly see that, with Disney's deep pockets. It would not only let them do the mutant thing with those two, but they could then make other X-related movies, too, like X-Factor (gawds, I'd LOVE to see that bunch on screen!) and Excalibur. Heck, that would let them bring in a whole BUNCH of characters, like Black Tom, Alpha Flight, the Shi'ar, and others. Heck, Beast and Wolverine have both been Avengers, so that would tie in nicely. I really hope they do this eventually.

All that would be left would be getting Spidey back from Sony. After what they've done with the wall-crawler, I hope it happens soon. So far, I'm unimpressed with the reboot movies....

I agree that it would be great to have all of Marvels characters in the same cinematic universe. Then at least the Avengers could use the "M" word and maybe Spidey could swing by as well. However I feel that this is unlikely to happen any time soon. there is just too much money to be made in superhero films these days.
And yeah Sony's reboot of Spidey seems to be pretty lamed so far.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  03:44:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really would love to see what Marvel/Disney could achieve with an X-Men reboot.
quote:
I'm just counting the days.

You and I have previously discussed how we each individually felt about the Spidey reboot in this scroll, as I recall. So I won't go back down that path.

All I will say is that, considering the first Amazing Spider-Man has, so far, been the ONLY Marvel-related-character film that I've ever actually considered walking out on [and this includes a midnight screening of Daredevil, and then later the second Ghost Rider film], I'm still attempting to find some degree of enthusiasm for the second Spidey film.

I mean, really, with what Marvel films can achieve... with The Avengers and, now, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Sony really either needs to hire better writers/directors, or just sell the rights back to Disney/Marvel.

Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  03:30:08  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't count on Marvel getting the rights to the X-Men or Spider-Man back any time soon, if ever. So long as Fox and Sony make a new movie within the respective timeframe allotted by their respective contracts, then they can hold onto those properties pretty much forever. And they're not about to simply let the contracts expire considering how much money those properties make them. Especially Spider-Man! That's made Sony a few BILLION dollars! And while X-Men hasn't been anywhere as successful, it's done pretty well overall for Fox. So there's no way they're ever going to sell the rights to those properties back to Marvel, much less let them expire.

Fantastic Four, on the other hand, THAT is likely to return back to the Marvel fold. It's been nearly seven years since the last film, which seems to be the contractually stipulated time, and Fox keeps dragging its feet on the purported reboot that they're supposed to be working on. If they don't get things in gear within the next few months and start filming then, like what happened with the Daredevil rights, they'll lose the rights to the Fantastic Four before this year's out. Cross your fingers and hope that happens, because if it does, then it means that we might very well see a Tony Stark/Reed Richards team-up, Galactus, and the Silver Surfer in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  02:22:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be content for Sony just to hire some of the capable screenwriters and directors working for Marvel, now, once their own licenses/contracts expire. Really, Sony just needs to show a little more love for the mythos of the characters they're utilising in their comic book films.

And I say this, now, especially, AFTER seeing The Amazing Spider-Man 2. This just isn't what I'm expecting to see for my favourite Marvel super hero on the silver screen.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  16:50:56  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Sage: Was there a Goblin and if so, how was it?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  19:21:52  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And I say this, now, especially, AFTER seeing The Amazing Spider-Man 2. This just isn't what I'm expecting to see for my favourite Marvel super hero on the silver screen.

I didn't realize it was already out. So you found it to be disappointing, huh?

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  02:59:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

@Sage: Was there a Goblin and if so, how was it?

I can't really say too much without SPOILING a major tidbit. But you can expect the not-so-usual Goblin-ness in this film.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  03:01:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

quote:

I didn't realize it was already out. So you found it to be disappointing, huh?

I know every comic book fan has a different interpretation when it comes to seeing one of their favourite characters adapted for a big screen film. And that's fair enough. But I really was disappointed with this latest Spidey feature. It just didn't draw me in like the older Raimi Spidey-films have in the past.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  15:17:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the cast of Star wars Episode 7 was finally announced. Article here
Bit disappointing that there is not more diversity in the cast but JJ Abrams has said that there are still some substantial roles yet to be cast.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  20:46:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just saw the "new" trailer (basically the third one now) of the TMNT movie coming out in august. Is anyone else interested in this? I'm of mixed feelings- on the one hand, YAY!! TMNT!!!- on the other, there are things about this that bother me. First being a WHITE Shredder. Yes, that's right, it's not Oroku Saki, it's some older white guy named Eric Sachs (and us fans have already picked up on the odd name similarities....) Also, two of the turtles look pretty decent, but Raph and Mikey just look- weird. The noses seem out of place. Donnie seems to have gone overboard on the nerd gear, but Leo- well, he looks pretty BA. Megan Fox is playing April, but I'm okay with that, as long as the turtles themselves are good and the story makes sense for all the changes Bay and friends have made.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2014 :  15:50:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Bit disappointing that there is not more diversity in the cast but JJ Abrams has said that there are still some substantial roles yet to be cast.

There's a lot of awesome in this photo!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2014 :  15:57:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just saw the "new" trailer (basically the third one now) of the TMNT movie coming out in august. Is anyone else interested in this? I'm of mixed feelings- on the one hand, YAY!! TMNT!!!- on the other, there are things about this that bother me. First being a WHITE Shredder. Yes, that's right, it's not Oroku Saki, it's some older white guy named Eric Sachs (and us fans have already picked up on the odd name similarities....) Also, two of the turtles look pretty decent, but Raph and Mikey just look- weird. The noses seem out of place. Donnie seems to have gone overboard on the nerd gear, but Leo- well, he looks pretty BA. Megan Fox is playing April, but I'm okay with that, as long as the turtles themselves are good and the story makes sense for all the changes Bay and friends have made.

I'm cautiously optimistic. On the one hand, I'm disappointed with the changes to Shredder. But, on the other, I also do like the look of these Turtles.

And I know, I know, most TRANSFORMERS/TMNT fans have a big problem with Bay's work on these classic franchises. But I count myself among the few old-time fans [meaning, I've been with both franchises since their very beginnings] who actually like parts of what Bay has accomplished with the Transformers.

My only really criticism... and it's one that's similar to my own problems with the TRANSFORMERS films ... please don't focus TOO MUCH on the human element. This is a film about mutant ninja turtles. Just like TRANSFORMERS was a film about alien autonomous machines from a mechanical planet. But the human element often takes up far too much screen time in Bay's franchise films. So I hope he tries to limit that in TMNT.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 May 2014 16:00:24
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  21:02:37  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's my biggest worry, too- and apparently, we're not alone. I frequent a fan site for them (Technodrome Forums) and that's one of the biggest gripes of all the fans there, is NOT ENOUGH TF!!! They worry that TMNT will be more of the same. And MANY have griped about the changes to Shredder. And the designs. And..... It gets tiresome sometimes hearing all the negative things, and so little of the positive ones. I'm really liking the lair and the van, Splinter looks decent so far, and although I'm not completely sold on his voice (Tony Shaloub?) it seems to work from what I've seen in the second trailer. Mikey's voice seems spot- on, and I like Raph and Don's too, or at least what I've heard so far. Still think having Vernon instead of Casey is an odd choice, and Whoopie as "Mr." Thompson (okay, so- April's boss is a chick now??!) is kind of strange, but I could like it if it's done right. And for those who remember Vernon from the 80's/90's cartoon, Will Arnett seems to fit the role.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  11:14:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! No Casey Jones? I didn't know that.

A TMNT story without Casey Jones could be a tough sell for the most "devout" fans.

Though, still, seeing Vernon [here's hoping he is as obnoxious as his 80's animated series character] could be a suitable trade-off.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  14:43:18  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

There's a lot of awesome in this photo!

Indeed. It is most Impressive.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  02:38:51  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whoa! No Casey Jones? I didn't know that.

A TMNT story without Casey Jones could be a tough sell for the most "devout" fans.

Though, still, seeing Vernon [here's hoping he is as obnoxious as his 80's animated series character] could be a suitable trade-off.

LOL! Let's hope so! And man, you should check out the trailers- These guys are HUGE! (And some have suggested that Mikey looks a bit like Shrek, but.....)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  04:08:52  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

OMG! A friend just told me, and I Googled it just to make sure: Dr. Strange was one of Hydra's targets! How the hell did I miss that?!

That kind of makes *some* sense, I suppose, since Strange and the more occult-side of the Hydra organisation have tackled in the past. Not much, surely.

I would've thought Doctor Strange would be on SHIELD's watchlist. Now that's directly from the comic books.

Since Marvel doesn't believe in keeping spoilers (yeah, if you watch Agents of SHIELD, they *tell* you what happens in Cap 2), I figure it's safe to talk about.

When they are interrogating the Hydra guy, his (almost) exact quote is "Stark, Banner, Stephen Strange, some valedictorian ..."

I do believe that Wanda will introduce the Magic to Marvel Universe, then the Doctor will run with the ball.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  03:46:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

quote:

OMG! A friend just told me, and I Googled it just to make sure: Dr. Strange was one of Hydra's targets! How the hell did I miss that?!

That kind of makes *some* sense, I suppose, since Strange and the more occult-side of the Hydra organisation have tackled in the past. Not much, surely.

I would've thought Doctor Strange would be on SHIELD's watchlist. Now that's directly from the comic books.

Since Marvel doesn't believe in keeping spoilers (yeah, if you watch Agents of SHIELD, they *tell* you what happens in Cap 2), I figure it's safe to talk about.

When they are interrogating the Hydra guy, his (almost) exact quote is "Stark, Banner, Stephen Strange, some valedictorian ..."

I do believe that Wanda will introduce the Magic to Marvel Universe, then the Doctor will run with the ball.

More than likely, though I suspect Agents of SHIELD will at least lay the groundwork for further magic, since the Thor films really started the whole introduction of magic into the MU. It's possible that the AoS television show will promote magic before a Strange film ever hits the big screen.

Of course, it will be interesting to see whether the Marvel cinematic universe will differentiate between the "science as magic" that Thor describes of the Asgardian magic, and the purely sorcerous/bloodline abilities like those of the Scarlet Witch.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  15:08:49  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the look of the turtles. The Shredder thing doesn't both me too bad. In the old cartoon he was a Caucasian with a Japanese name and an African American voice actor. From what I've seen of the newer one, Shredder's pretty pasty. Depends on the execution. I do like his armor.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2014 :  11:29:46  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have mixed feelings about the new Turtles movie. While I was a huge fan as a kid, I wonder if those characters would really be able to make the jump into a proper live action film. Plus the fact that its being directed by Micheal Bay is not very reassuring.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2014 :  12:11:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have mixed feelings about the new Turtles movie. While I was a huge fan as a kid, I wonder if those characters would really be able to make the jump into a proper live action film.
Did you not see the live-action TMNT films made in the early 90's?

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2014 :  14:29:40  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have mixed feelings about the new Turtles movie. While I was a huge fan as a kid, I wonder if those characters would really be able to make the jump into a proper live action film.
Did you not see the live-action TMNT films made in the early 90's?

Oh yeah I totally forgot about those. Those were a bit campy but good fun. Still not all that keen on Megan Fox and Micheal Bay though.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  01:23:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

quote:

I like the look of the turtles. The Shredder thing doesn't both me too bad. In the old cartoon he was a Caucasian with a Japanese name and an African American voice actor. From what I've seen of the newer one, Shredder's pretty pasty. Depends on the execution. I do like his armor.

Actually, in the old cartoon (80's/90's, there have been two separate cartoon series since then) Shredder was NEVER Caucasian. He WAS Japanese, and in the few scenes where one can see his full face it is quite clear- in the origin flashbacks in the very first episode, as well as a few of later episodes such as the one where his mind gets switched with Splinter's, and another where he gets hit with one of his own devices and believes he is Michelangelo (which is utterly hilarious to hear James Avery's take on Mikey!) There are others, but those are the two that stick out in my memory ATM.

Re- the 90's TMNT films: Only the second and third ones were really very campy. The first one was a bit darker and more serious, enough so that parents protested the violence to the point that when the second movie was made, they NEVER used their weapons. Not ONCE did any of the turtles actually use their weapons to fight, but instead only occasionally s props to defend or annoy their opponents! (ie- distractions, blocking an attack, even handing them a weapon to confuse them, etc.)

And Bay is not directing the new movie- Jonathan Leibsman is. Bay is PRODUCING it. But yes, I understand your trepidation on that front. So do a lot of people, apparently.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  14:22:51  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved those old movies but while the first one was not all that campy but the last two definitely were. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, they were still fun to watch. Of course the first one remains my favorite and I hope they make a worthy successor. Because frankly I don't want part of my childhood to be ruined just so some movie studio can make a profit.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  22:24:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming that the 'Keep will be deserted the night of December 18th, 2015... So I am comfortable sharing this image of a X-Wing fighter from Episode VII.

It looks like a Z-95 Headhunter, but Lucasfilm has confirmed it is an X-Wing. If you look closely at the way the cannons are mounted to the wingtips, you can see that the S-foils are there, but not in the same format as the T-65B from the Classic Trilogy.

I saw this on my tablet, first... It wasn't until I was looking at it on my work computer that I noticed the mouse droid in the picture!

Looky!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  00:20:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm assuming that the 'Keep will be deserted the night of December 18th, 2015... So I am comfortable sharing this image of a X-Wing fighter from Episode VII.

It looks like a Z-95 Headhunter, but Lucasfilm has confirmed it is an X-Wing. If you look closely at the way the cannons are mounted to the wingtips, you can see that the S-foils are there, but not in the same format as the T-65B from the Classic Trilogy.

I saw this on my tablet, first... It wasn't until I was looking at it on my work computer that I noticed the mouse droid in the picture!

Looky!

A good chunk of my morning was spent on "no, that's not a Z-95, but Z-95s are already in the new canon because they were in the Clone Wars cartoon."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  00:44:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Looky!

A good chunk of my morning was spent on "no, that's not a Z-95, but Z-95s are already in the new canon because they were in the Clone Wars cartoon."

Well, the first article I saw, I said the expected "not an X-Wing, that's a Headhunter!" comment... But that article included a Tweet from Lucasfilm saying that yup, it was an X-Wing. Then I saw a larger pic, took a close look at the wings, and noted the cannon mounts.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  11:30:33  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Looky!

Well, the first article I saw, I said the expected "not an X-Wing, that's a Headhunter!" comment... But that article included a Tweet from Lucasfilm saying that yup, it was an X-Wing. Then I saw a larger pic, took a close look at the wings, and noted the cannon mounts.

Its probably a newer model of X wing. Thanks to the EU being designated non canon we cant really make any guesses to what exactly it may be.
That old gripe aside, photos like this are making me more and more impatient to see the movie. I really hope that it doesn't get delayed for some reason. Like Han Solo's err I mean Harrison Ford's unfortunate accident.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000