Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 On Dwarven language sentence structure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  07:22:57  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we can say for sure. Vallahir may not be a compound word. Even if it turns out to be a compound, we don't know if the either part means mountain. It could mean "high-valley." We also cannot tell where the morpheme boundaries are. It could be related to the word "lhar" (gap/pass). If so, then the other morpheme could be val instead of valla.

You could possibly use the word "momdin" (peak/crag/height).

The dwarven afterlife is named "Erackinor" which is often translated as "Dwarven mountain." It's also translated as "Dwarfhome." But we don't know that "dwarven mountain" is a literal translation; Erackinor could just be a name. Like Olympus, Fuji, or Asgard.

What's weird is that I don't see a word for "dwarf" anywhere. Need to check my sources. If Erack means dwarf, then Inor could mean home or mountain.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  18:25:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very odd, isn't it?

No Dwarven words for dwarf or mountain, nor any of the compass directions - all things closely associated with Dwarves.

I could easily create a word by combining 'hill' with 'great height' - Morndintor - but that doesn't seem right to me. It would be like a sailor calling a ship a 'big boat' - very disingenuous. Dwarves would definitely have their own word for mountain.

I also have to wonder what 'Tsorg' means - they called Kryptgarden Tsorgvudd.

And reading through Dwarves deep once-again (haven't read it cover-to-cover in years) has inspired me to continue on after my current project is done and create a new map of the north.

In PDF form, with layers associated with specific eras.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Nov 2010 18:31:46
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  15:43:51  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally heard from Ed on this after a while, and this is what he had to say about structuring sentences in Dwarven, per a FaceBook private message:

quote:
Construction [is] like English, but many dwarves in everyday speech sound like Klingon speakers, in that they bark out the minimum words necessary ("Go!" or "Agreed!" or "Hunt first!")

One grace note to add: in ancient times, many dwarves for emphasis would put the essential yes/no or verb of a sentence first, then say the sentence with verb or yes/no in its proper place. e.g.: "Yes! I agree to that, yes, and so do all of my axebrothers; we shall do that."

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 03 Aug 2015 15:46:50
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  00:43:41  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

P.S. see also this article for a few more dwarven words and sayings from Ed: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20061018a

Can anybody link to this as an archive.wizards (unbroken link)?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  01:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

quote:

P.S. see also this article for a few more dwarven words and sayings from Ed: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20061018a

like so?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  01:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

quote:

like so?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  08:54:54  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! Thanks!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  14:15:58  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Knowing Ed, he prolly has enough notes on dwarven vocabulary to fill another tome the size of Dwarves Deep. I'm more inclined to think that "mountain" was a victim of word count and/or editting.

We know there were cuts, indeed:
quote:
The dwarven language section of FR11 was kept short [...]

For more dwarven language see also here and here.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2015 :  14:11:32  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I made Eric Boyd's day the other week when I sent him through a dwarven lexicon.
-- George Krashos

Is that something that could be shared here? or hosted at the 'Keep? Thanks in advance!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2015 :  00:12:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's still a work in progress, but I'll send it through when I get it ship-shape.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2015 :  01:42:22  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet! Can't wait! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2018 :  14:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's still a work in progress, but I'll send it through when I get it ship-shape.

-- George Krashos

Any news of this dwarven lexicon? I was unable to find it in Aulondo's Library or any other Candlekeep source, but that might be due to my poor grasp of the organisation of the shelves.

I'd really love to know how to say some phrases in Dwarfish.

1) Keeper of Secrets Under the Mountain.
2) Realms of Glittering Swords.
3) Blood-Metal or Orcslayer.
4) Earthfast.
5) City (dwarven). If there is another word for human city, I'd love to know that as well.
6) Ale.
7) Various types of strong liquor and spirits.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2018 :  16:06:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

-- George Krashos

Any news of this dwarven lexicon? I was unable to find it in Aulondo's Library or any other Candlekeep source, but that might be due to my poor grasp of the organisation of the shelves.

4) Earthfast.
5) City (dwarven). If there is another word for human city, I'd love to know that as well.
6) Ale.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you what I've got.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2018 :  04:47:38  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

-- George Krashos

4) Earthfast.
6) Ale.

Having Dwarves Deep right in front of me, I'll see what I can come up with.

1) "Secrets under the Mountain" would translate to something like "deladarxothmorndin" or "deladarxundermorndin." "Barak" means shield, backbone or strength, and (unless I'm mistaken) could also mean protector or keeper, so I would suggest something like "barakdeladarxothmorndin" or "barakdeladarxundermorndin."
2) "Olor" means "Realms" or "Toril" while "runedar" means "familiar place" or "home" or "haven." "Splendarr" means something bright, shining or beautiful. "Agland" means sword. Put those all together, and you've got something like "Olorsplendarragland" or "Runedarsplendarragland."
3) "Sargh" means orc and "Arglar" means to butcher. "Corl" means to kill while "Corlar" means killer, so Orcslayer would probably translate to "Sarghcorlar" or "Sargharglar."
4) Not finding anything.
5) The closest I can find to "City" is "Runedar" (familiar place, as stated earlier). "Arau" means "great/huge/gigantic," so I'd say "Dwarf City" would likely be "Sammanaraurunedar" or literally "Shield brother's great familiar place." Not seeing any word referring to humans, unfortunately, so the closest I can come up with is "Araudaern" or "big familiar place."
6) No word for such, oddly enough. Best I can think is calling it "jarghwurn" or "jokester/idiot water." "Tindulwurn" or "clumsy water" might also suffice.
7) As above, or maybe call it "barakjarghwurn" ("strong jokester/idiot water") or "aurajarghwurn" ("great jokester/idiot water")

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2018 :  15:24:32  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One question: Is this a proper "Fantasy Language" type of Dictionary, or a simpler project?
It looks heavily polysynthetic, btw.

Why I ask, is any language not made, ends up word for word close to it's creators.

Edited by - Starshade on 13 Apr 2018 15:46:48
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2018 :  19:04:31  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But yeah, seeing this thread of mine coming back can't help but give me a bit of a sentimental feeling. At least I'm not the only one who cares about the language of the Stout Folk. :*)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000