Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gazzeth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  20:37:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The "Orc City" of Gazzeth on the shores of the Moonsea's cold north coast. If anyone has any information to share about this ruin, it would be greatly appreciated.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  21:55:22  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing canon. I used the ruins in one of my campaigns, but it was just a simple ruined city with a number of scavenger encounters and an orc party of roughly the same strength of the party searching the ruins. No real lore at all.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  23:25:29  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because there is so little information on Gazzeth, I'm starting to decide that it was an outpost of Grong-Haap, the Minotaur Kingdom. It was the provincial capital of Thar's Orcs that were beholden to that Empire.

I'm going to be going with its destruction in -350 DR when Edranka, now the leader of the Horde Tyranthraxus had brought from the north, guided his 100,000 strong goblinoid horde against Grong-Haap...first stop Gazzeth where he broke the power of Haask's vassal "Grey Orc King" there and then plowed through toward Ironfang Keep until the horde was destroyed.

----excerpt from "The Years of My Wanderings" by Grayson Haeldreth----

"...when my comrades and I reached an inner chamber of the spell-trapped sanctuary, we found amid the scrolls an ancient text related to the writings of Vrandak the Burnished that explained the origins of the Way of the Powrie and of the fate of the Orc city of Gazzeth.

After perusal of the ancient tome, and disarming of its manifold spell wards no doubt placed long ago by none other than Vrandak the Burnished himself, I came finally to understand that long ago the Grey Orcs of Thar did indeed hold power over the majority of the lands of Thar; and it was from the city of Gazzeth that they ruled. The city had been founded circa -1,000 Dale Reckoning by newly arriving Grey Orcs coming to Thar. However, the Orc "Kingdom" was an obvious vassal of a much more powerful nation called Grong-Haap, Horned Realm of the Minotaurs for much of its existence.

Vrandak explained in detail, which I will not include here, how he was able to tap into the fell magics of the ancient Fey and use their own Fey Paths to move his army against the city of Myth Ondath; after forcing the secret from the mind of a Powrie he had captured in the Tortured Lands nearest the Great Glacier. Apparently, the Powrie still live within the Tortured Lands and its environs; but are often mistaken for the much more numerous goblins that inhabit the area. Perhaps they still to this day know the use of the "true" Way of the Powrie.

It was hinted by Vrandak in the tome that the Powrie were a twisted abomination of Elf and Goblin crossbreeding, or evil creation, by a "God" called Maram of the Great Spear; and that, after their creation sometime before the fall of the Kingdom of Barze, the Powrie had once been powerful enough to be led by one of their own, a being named Edranka, to crush the might of the Orcs of Thar and threaten Grong-Haap itself in the Year of Craven Words..."

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 22 Feb 2019 04:38:24
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  04:38:43  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. Keep up the good work.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  04:36:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(REZ SCROLL)

I was wondering if anyone had any new information on this ruin?

I can go with what I had before, but I was hoping something had been done to save me the time.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2019 :  21:19:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does appear on a 4e-era map, but IIRC, there was no lore to go with it. Rich Baker did an article on Thar (which I think may have gotten over-written a short time later by a different article... gotta love the old D&D boards), and Brian James did an adventure set around there (Northern Moonsea, not the coast, so as I said, no new lore AFAIK).

Second thoughts...
I think 'the other Thar' article may have been written by Ed himself, in which case, I may have gotten my timeline backwards (Rich's article over-wrote what Ed had). Can't be sure, since I can't find any of those articles any more.

EDIT: something just rang a bell (No, not the nearby Bell in the Depths LOL) - something about that city itself. I am 95% certain it wasn't Rich's article that touched upon it (although he did cover the tribes of goblinoids around there, so I wouldn't rule it out entirely), which leaves either the background fluff in Brian's stuff, or Ed's article on the Thar region (I'd try there first, but as I said, I wouldn't even now where to start looking for it... could even be archived here).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Feb 2019 21:23:40
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  00:52:56  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rich Baker's article The Tribes of Thar was from December 2007. It does have a map with Gazzeth on it, but as Markustay thought there is no mention in the article itself. It can be found on the archive.org Wayback Machine, by plugging in this URL:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4frrl/20071217a

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  03:45:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like Gazzeth is wide open to embellish upon then? :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000