Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  05:30:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Elaine. Been awhile, glad that you are busy and prosperous. What's this I hear about an Elaith story? When can't be soon enough.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  15:11:08  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi Elaine,

I have a question about Elfsong. There are a few pages of story of Texter encountering a Loreli. He then is mentenioned later in the story as returning to the city but having memmory lapse. Did I miss a plot point of that tieing into the greaty story?

Thanks,

Sunderstone

It was just to get another of the Lords out of the picture whilst Garnet was causing problems.

Thanks Wooly! Had Garnet co-opted the Loreli and I missed that or was it just a lucky coincidence that Texter was out of the way?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  15:31:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi Elaine,

I have a question about Elfsong. There are a few pages of story of Texter encountering a Loreli. He then is mentenioned later in the story as returning to the city but having memmory lapse. Did I miss a plot point of that tieing into the greaty story?

Thanks,

Sunderstone

It was just to get another of the Lords out of the picture whilst Garnet was causing problems.

Thanks Wooly! Had Garnet co-opted the Loreli and I missed that or was it just a lucky coincidence that Texter was out of the way?

Given that Garnet was using other musical monsters (harpies, those froggy things, the giant crickets), I'm assuming this was more of the same.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  19:12:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Given that Garnet was using other musical monsters (harpies, those froggy things, the giant crickets), I'm assuming this was more of the same.

That's a fair assumption.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  19:18:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Hey, Elaine. Been awhile, glad that you are busy and prosperous. What's this I hear about an Elaith story? When can't be soon enough.

Not so sure about the prosperous bit, but things have been busy of late.

I'm still hip-deep in a novel set in a fantasy version of Elizabethan England, and I've also pitched a novella that ties into one branch of the Cthulhu mythos. The Elaith story is a just-for-fun thing, and as such it's currently on the back burner.

It's a small tale set during his early years on Evermeet. If you remember the short story "The Great Hunt," and wondered what spell Elaith used to take on the form of a wolf, this tale will answer that question.

Sort of.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  09:57:28  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! Can't wait!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  15:24:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Cool! Can't wait!

Getting into the mind-space of a teenaged Elaith has been interesting. It seems likely to me that he was a very serious youth, and only developed his sardonic sense of humor later in life. That means the humor in the story comes from supporting characters, and writing colorful and quirky secondary characters is one of my favorite things to do.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  02:55:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine!

Did you ever notice the similarity between the alliance of Gruumsh and Lolth to the alliance of Melkor and Ungoliant?

Please don't mind my ramble...

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ready to produce a book that focuses on an Orc World to publish on DMs Guild. The Orc World is the one the Gray Orcs that were part of the Orcgate Wars came from; and I wanted to build into the lore a reason that Elves and Orcs came from that world at the same time in c. -27,000 DR when portals were opened to it by the Fey to bring the Elves.

Ed said in the Old Grey Box that Elves couldn't remember a time when goblinoids weren't testing the borders of Elf lands...and so I wanted to work it in.

I can't touch any IP of the Tolkien estate obviously; but if I build on YOUR story from Evermeet, then I can build a story of why Gruumsh and Corellon hate each other so badly before the elves of Faerun even knew about the Seldarine.

quote:

From A Grand History of the Realms:

c. –27000 DR
Continuing their work to undermine dragon rule, the Fey open new gates allowing the first elves to immigrate to Toril. These primitive green elves worship the Faerie gods (not the Seldarine, which were unknown at this time)...

My problem is that I feel like I NEED to pick your brain about their early animosity. Care to share any thoughts?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  19:05:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Hi Elaine!

Did you ever notice the similarity between the alliance of Gruumsh and Lolth to the alliance of Melkor and Ungoliant?

Please don't mind my ramble...

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ready to produce a book that focuses on an Orc World to publish on DMs Guild. The Orc World is the one the Gray Orcs that were part of the Orcgate Wars came from; and I wanted to build into the lore a reason that Elves and Orcs came from that world at the same time in c. -27,000 DR when portals were opened to it by the Fey to bring the Elves.

Ed said in the Old Grey Box that Elves couldn't remember a time when goblinoids weren't testing the borders of Elf lands...and so I wanted to work it in.

I can't touch any IP of the Tolkien estate obviously; but if I build on YOUR story from Evermeet, then I can build a story of why Gruumsh and Corellon hate each other so badly before the elves of Faerun even knew about the Seldarine.

quote:

From A Grand History of the Realms:

c. –27000 DR
Continuing their work to undermine dragon rule, the Fey open new gates allowing the first elves to immigrate to Toril. These primitive green elves worship the Faerie gods (not the Seldarine, which were unknown at this time)...

My problem is that I feel like I NEED to pick your brain about their early animosity. Care to share any thoughts?

This might not be what you're looking for, but the truth is, I consider the early chapters of EVERMEET to be mythology and folklore, not history. The story is carefully framed to suggest that approach, in that it's written by a human bard who has limited access to elvish lore. Also, as a longtime student of history, folklore, and religion, I understand that there's a difference between Truth and fact.

The chapters in EVERMEET that deal with gods and creation stories deal with Truth. I see such beliefs as "elves and orcs were born of the blood shed by the battle between Corellon and Gruumsh" to be a metaphor for a longstanding conflict, not a literal statement or a historical fact. So I'm never quite sure how to answer gamers who email me to ask how MANY drops of blood were shed by each of the combatants, and whether those drops corresponded to elf and orc creation on a one-to-one ration, and also, since elves and orcs existed BEFORE that battle, how do I reconcile these two "facts?"

Here's how: When it comes to Forgotten Realms theology, I'm not a fundamentalist. I don't believe that every tale told is literally true. That's a difficult position to support when gods are given stats, but it's the approach I take.

So. If you're writing a history of this early time, my advice is to create whatever scenario you prefer. The true story of the warlord (or warlords) who fought against Saxon invadors might bear little resemblance to the tales of King Arthur and his shining Camelot, but it would still be a story worth hearing.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  19:52:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much. I actually DON’T want anything fact based.

As always, you are awesome.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Selvarin
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  22:22:22  Show Profile Send Selvarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Serpent's Daughter, The Serpent's Daughter...

Sorry, just felt like saying it. if that had been completed I would've loved being the ghost looking over your shoulder at that moment.

V/R,

Selvarin

"A rogue I am, and a rogue I'll be. Neither Devil nor Angel...though I'll stay on the side of the angels for your sake. Don't tempt me to change my mind on the subject."
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2018 :  08:02:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In case nobody did show this one to you yet: /tg/ take on the drow possibly inspired by Starlight&Shadows (it continues to the end of the thread with some interruptions).
IMHO a good point is that drow have to cover the entire range from planewalking mage-merchants to back cave bumpkins puffballs (the latter probably not happy with the hand they were dealt, but not ready to tackle anything else either, even if they are capable).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2018 :  16:29:01  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Not so sure about the prosperous bit, but things have been busy of late.

I'm still hip-deep in a novel set in a fantasy version of Elizabethan England, and I've also pitched a novella that ties into one branch of the Cthulhu mythos. The Elaith story is a just-for-fun thing, and as such it's currently on the back burner.

It's a small tale set during his early years on Evermeet. If you remember the short story "The Great Hunt," and wondered what spell Elaith used to take on the form of a wolf, this tale will answer that question.

Sort of.

Cannot wait.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  15:30:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

After much debate, I've decided to start a Patreon-based webzine. Every month I'll post a short story and a writing article. If there's sufficient interest, I'll post longer stories. The first story and article are online now, free to all readers. I hope you'll stop by and read the tale!

Best,
ec

https://www.patreon.com/ElaineCunningham
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2018 :  20:25:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today's the release day for Hath No Fury, an anthology of fantasy adventure stories. At least two Forgotten Realms writers (Erin Evans and I) have stories in this book. Here's a link to its Amazon.com page for more info:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BZVC16G?pf_rd_p=d1f45e03-8b73-4c9a-9beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=EWDV05AMM0CJ2E3PXKE0

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 23 Aug 2018 20:26:42
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2018 :  13:29:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

It has been a busy summer. One of my writing projects was contributing three short stories to Stygian Society, an upcoming tabletop game and its two expansions. The game designer is Keith Wilson, and the game mechanics are really intriguing. More details in a post on my Patreon wall, for folks who are interested.

https://www.patreon.com/ElaineCunningham
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:49:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

A while back, I promised to post a story about a very young Elaith Craulnober. What with one thing and another, this fell by the wayside. HOWEVER! Here is a story about another, very similar elf, going though a similar set of circumstances. This is NOT the elf you're thinking of. ::performs Jedi hand wave::

Okay, yeah, it totally is, but all of the serial numbers have been filed off.

Anyway, here's a link tthe the tale. It's on my Patreon account, but it's a public post so that everyone can read it.

I post montly writing articles and the occasional free story, so you don't need to be a Patron to read stuff on my account (unless, of course, you WANT to be..." If you're interested in getting notices of new posts, stories, and articles, you can "follow" my account without subscribing.

Hope you'll read the tale.

Best,
ec

https://www.patreon.com/posts/wolves-and-21768989
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2018 :  22:29:31  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, folks.

A while back, I promised to post a story about a very young Elaith Craulnober. What with one thing and another, this fell by the wayside. HOWEVER! Here is a story about another, very similar elf, going though a similar set of circumstances. This is NOT the elf you're thinking of. ::performs Jedi hand wave::

Anyway, here's a link tthe the tale. It's on my Patreon account, but it's a public post so that everyone can read it.

I post montly writing articles and the occasional free story, so you don't need to be a Patron to read stuff on my account (unless, of course, you WANT to be..." If you're interested in getting notices of new posts, stories, and articles, you can "follow" my account without subscribing.

Best,
ec

That you, Elaine, for bringing him back to the page again, even with a Pseudonym
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2018 :  22:30:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

Hi, folks.

Best,
ec

That you, Elaine, for bringing him back to the page again, even with a Pseudonym

Would you provide us insight why you chose the particular name? Just the jumble letters or is it deeper?

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 03 Oct 2018 22:31:46
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2018 :  15:25:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Would you provide us insight why you chose the particular name? Just the jumble letters or is it deeper?

No deep meaning here. I just couldn't come up with another name that fit, so I shamelessly tinkered with the letters I had.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2018 :  12:46:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! I was absent these last month-and-a-half, it's good to be back and find this pearl!!!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2018 :  12:32:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Wonderful! I was absent these last month-and-a-half, it's good to be back and find this pearl!!!

Welcome back! I also posted a link to this story on the Forgotten Realms Archives group in Facebook, but that group is so active that posts quickly get pushed down-thread.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 19 Oct 2018 12:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  11:04:42  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Welcome back! I also posted a link to this story on the Forgotten Realms Archives group in Facebook...

I see. Anyway, I enjoyed a lot the reading, thank you!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2018 :  11:41:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

We'll be doing an AMA on the Facebook group Forgotten Realms Archive this Sunday, November 4, from 10-11 am EST. I hope you'll stop by to chat!

Best,
ec
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2018 :  10:17:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was great! Thank you for your answers, and especially for sharing your wonderful fiction with us all!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2018 :  17:57:08  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine Cunningham,

can you give me more information about the Eilistraee-priestess Dolor in the High Forest from your novel Windwalker, for example from which drow-city or noble house she came, before she became a follower of Eilistraee?
I need her as an NPC for my campaign in the high forest.
Thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  15:03:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deepening Moon

Hi Elaine Cunningham,

can you give me more information about the Eilistraee-priestess Dolor in the High Forest from your novel Windwalker, for example from which drow-city or noble house she came, before she became a follower of Eilistraee?
Thank you very much!

Hi, DM.

Unfortunately, there is no more information available than is included in the story. I'm sure I did a more extensive back story for her when I was writing the story, but I did not retain my notes. So my recommendation is to invent whatever background best serves your story and your campaign.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  15:05:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

I'm contemplating my 2019 writing schedule and feeling a little blue about the lack of anything FR-related on it. So I'm rethinking my decision to avoid the DMs guild. Here's a link to a query post in the DM forum. If you'd be interested in seeing something of this nature, please stop by and share your thoughts and wish lists.

Hope your holiday season has been merry and bright!

All the best in the coming year,
ec

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22648
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  19:12:39  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, folks.

Best,
ec

This makes a few things make sense in regards to how a few scenes in your other stories had played out. Nicely done, and I hope there can be more, even with a pseudonym instead of his real name...

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2019 :  22:57:26  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, for answering my question!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Deepening Moon

Hi Elaine Cunningham,

Thank you very much!

Hi, DM.

Unfortunately, there is no more information available than is included in the story. I'm sure I did a more extensive back story for her when I was writing the story, but I did not retain my notes. So my recommendation is to invent whatever background best serves your story and your campaign.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000