Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2015 :  12:18:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
I'm not sure there are any excerpts from RECLAMATION online. At one point, I did post the prelude, but I think I deleted that.

A pity, I'd like very much to have even an excerpt of this so awaited book.

Say it isn't so.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2015 :  12:27:08  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine, I NEED Tincheron!!!!-

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2015 :  16:09:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Elaine, I NEED Tincheron!!!!-

He does (did) appear in both cancelled novels, but you might not have approved of the developments in The Serpent's Daughter. He was rather hard-hit by the effects of the Spellplague.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2015 :  16:12:16  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I'm not sure there are any excerpts from RECLAMATION online. At one point, I did post the prelude, but I think I deleted that.

A pity, I'd like very much to have even an excerpt of this so awaited book.

This week will be very hectic, but next weekend I'll see if I still have this file and if so, post it here on this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  09:33:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
This week will be very hectic, but next weekend I'll see if I still have this file and if so, post it here on this thread.

Thank you very, very much dear Mrs. Cunningham! You're making a huge fan immensely happy!

And if you don't find the file, don't worry, your very attitude have already made my day!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  10:35:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh. face*palm*desk.
What did you do to the Serpent's cousin? He was my favorite supporting cast member, but he never got enough page time and now he's gone. Woe is me.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 01 Dec 2015 11:04:40
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  14:05:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Argh. face*palm*desk.
What did you do to the Serpent's cousin? He was my favorite supporting cast member, but he never got enough page time and now he's gone. Woe is me.

Oh, he's not gone.

The Spellplague hit magical creatures--including some dragon kin--very hard. Tintager underwent some very profound physical changes, and the psychological impact that comes with such things. Despite his own troubles, when Elaith disappeared, Tintager tried to take Elaith's place and hold the fort, so to speak, until he could be found. But the years passed, and the struggle took a toll. Tintager is, as you observed, a supporting cast member. He simply isn't cut out to be a crime lord. He has his own brand of honor and he's fiercely loyal, but his loyalty is to persons, not organizations. And frankly, a lot of the people in Elaith's organization are not worthy of loyalty, nor do they return it. Watching Elaith's little empire fall apart and being unable (and sometimes unwilling) to stop the attrition would add a sense of failure to the physical and psychological ravages of the Spellplague.

Then there was the little matter of Azariah's (perceived) betrayal. That hit him very hard indeed. To say nothing of the fact that Neesha, his daughter, sided with Azariah.

So, yeah. Tintager had a pretty tough time. This highlights one of the most difficult aspects of being a storyteller. You get attached to these people and want them to have happy, fulfilling lives, free of pain and distress. But without conflict and struggle, there is no story. So we torture our characters in order to create fiction.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  13:44:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have submitted a new thread, RECLAMATION, to be posted on this section. It contains the prelude to the uncompleted novel. It's subject to the discretion of the moderators. They may choose to post it elsewhere, such as in the novels thread.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  15:10:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tincheron.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  15:14:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tincheron.

Hey, I warned you. It's not going to be pretty.

Seriously, though, Tincheron does not play a significant role in RECLAMATION. He was definitely a player in SERPENT'S DAUGHTER, though.

I really, really regret not finishing these novels, but not having access to a Tardis, I can't go back in time and prevent the health problems that put my writing on hold.

And so, moving on....

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 05 Dec 2015 15:15:15
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  15:16:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The RECLAMATION thread has been posted. Thank you, moderator. :)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  15:16:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are still the bomb.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  15:21:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Viewing of this topic is not permitted until it has been moderated..? What is that shaiza? Ne'r seen that before

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  15:38:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Viewing of this topic is not permitted until it has been moderated..? What is that shaiza? Ne'r seen that before

Some areas of the forum do not allow just anyone to create a thread. Hence, the issue with that one.

But it's open and ready for viewing, now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  16:02:48  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly. Thanks Elaine more.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2015 :  13:45:06  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Elaine,

In the novel Silver Shadows, from the Songs and Swords series, there are some mentions, about elven twins, it says they share a rapport since they are born, and from that, they can feel each other emotions, and talk mind to mind like telepathy.

Are there other mentions in lore books that gives more base to this, or was this only used by you inside the novel?

Did you find the idea for this from another source, or was this only really made especially for these characters in a particular way?

Just wondering, because I really liked this detail being mentioned in the novel, for the twin brothers Tamsil and Tamara, and for sure, I would use this same connection in my games when using elven twin brothers. I just want to know, if there is more information on that matter.

Thanks in advance, for any possible answer.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2015 :  14:40:41  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elven Avenger

Dear Elaine,

In the novel Silver Shadows, from the Songs and Swords series, there are some mentions, about elven twins, it says they share a rapport since they are born, and from that, they can feel each other emotions, and talk mind to mind like telepathy.

Are there other mentions in lore books that gives more base to this, or was this only used by you inside the novel?

Did you find the idea for this from another source, or was this only really made especially for these characters in a particular way?

Just wondering, because I really liked this detail being mentioned in the novel, for the twin brothers Tamsil and Tamara, and for sure, I would use this same connection in my games when using elven twin brothers. I just want to know, if there is more information on that matter.

Thanks in advance, for any possible answer.

Hi, Avenger.

The most accurate (if embarrassing...) answer is "I don't remember." A lot of years have passed since this novel's publication, and unfortunately I have lost all of my research notes on elven lore.

To the best of my recollection, though, this concept came from real life, not from FR lore. I don't recall any mention of a twin-bond of any sort, much less one that's specific to elven rapport. But it strikes me as consistent with the setting in general and the elves in particular. There's a great deal of real-world, anecdotal evidence of a strong, almost psychic bond between twins. It seems to me that Faerun's elves, who form strong bonds of another sort, are even more likely to have a strong rapport with their twins than do real-world humans.

So my advice would be to create whatever sort of twin-bond that best suits your characters and your campaign. Since there are no stats (that I'm aware of), create metrics that make sense to you.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 08 Dec 2015 14:42:12
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2015 :  18:53:14  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

I have a couple of questions from your Evermeet novel if possible. How do you pronounce Ka'Narlist? If Lolth took him as consort and converted him to her worship, he must exist somewhere (trapped in his sea elf pearl vest perhaps?) or he would have ended in the Demonweb Pits right? If Lolth never knew the disposition of his soul, I'm almost curious if there would be a destroyed ancient temple or two dedicated to him and he might have managed to become a demipower.

It was also noted that "the descendants of Ka'Narlist and Lloth were now called drow, and they were as evil and fearsome a people as Lloth could have desired." I find this interesting because it could explain the drow spell-like abilities, but this would imply divine blood in many of the drow. Watered down now, but what kind of semi-divine beings originally were created? The original noble families maybe?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2015 :  19:36:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi Elaine,

I have a couple of questions from your Evermeet novel if possible. How do you pronounce Ka'Narlist? If Lolth took him as consort and converted him to her worship, he must exist somewhere (trapped in his sea elf pearl vest perhaps?) or he would have ended in the Demonweb Pits right? If Lolth never knew the disposition of his soul, I'm almost curious if there would be a destroyed ancient temple or two dedicated to him and he might have managed to become a demipower.

It was also noted that "the descendants of Ka'Narlist and Lloth were now called drow, and they were as evil and fearsome a people as Lloth could have desired." I find this interesting because it could explain the drow spell-like abilities, but this would imply divine blood in many of the drow. Watered down now, but what kind of semi-divine beings originally were created? The original noble families maybe?

Thanks!

"K'Narlist" is pronounced with a slightly voiced "k" leading into a stressed syllable for "nahr" and an unstressed "list," pronounced like Santa's inventory of naughty or nice gift recipients.

I view the section on the elven gods as allegory. This allegory might contain some truth, but that doesn't mean everything in it is FACT. Adherents of many religions, including some real-world religions, refer to themselves as "children of god" without believing that divine DNA entered into the picture. The drow are the spiritual descendants of Lloth and various other evil gods. That's all, I think, that can be said with certainty.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  03:40:28  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elaine! :)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  14:23:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chapter two of RECLAMATION is up on the thread by that name, here in the Chamber of Sages.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  18:30:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that thread is here: Reclamation.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  19:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, would you mind also posting a link to The Serpents Daughter? I seem to have lost the one that I had saved...

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  19:51:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Wooly, would you mind also posting a link to The Serpents Daughter? I seem to have lost the one that I had saved...

I don't have a link for that handy.

My search-fu is strong!

The Serpent's Daughter excerpts, Chapters 1 and 2
The Serpent's Daughter excerpts, Chapter 3

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Dec 2015 19:56:17
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  19:57:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first two chapters of THE SERPENT'S Daughter are in this thread:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19450&SearchTerms=A,birthday,gift,for,long-time,realms,readers

Chapter 3 is in a thread cunningly labeled "Chapter 3." No wonder you couldn't find them!

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19489&SearchTerms=Chapter,2

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 15 Dec 2015 19:58:54
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  20:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both so very much!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  10:56:56  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very, very much, dear Mrs. Cunningham.
And thanks for the link, Wooly!

EDIT: I was traveling (mostly disconnected) and came home some days ago, just yesterday I compiled the prelude and two chapters in a file with the cover art, and read it only this morning. As a huge fan of the Sword & Song series and characters, I cannot describe how delightful it was to read again your work, Mrs. Cunningham. Still the best Realms and fantasy fiction I ever read, IMHO. Thank you once again, and I deeply hope the CK fanfic idea mentioned in the thread comes into being!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 22 Dec 2015 16:56:54
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2016 :  11:14:45  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mrs. Cunninghamm,

My question now is for some dates in your novels, if you can help me (I know they were written some years ago). I've seen that most of the events in Dream Spheres begin at the first harvest balls and festivals of 1368 DR, and that your Reclamation 1st chapter is set in 29 Eleint of the same year, and the text says:

"She [Arilyn] flexed her gloved hands. Not much more than a ten-day past, they'd been blackened and nearly skeletal."

I have a campaign running in Waterdeep at this period (my players just spend the autumn equinox among the elves), and I'd like to know which of the events mentioned in the novels were known to all in the city, and exactly when they occurred - like the dates of assembling and departure of the sky caravan, the presence of the wild elves in the city, the buzz caused by prince Haedrak's arrival in Waterdeep and the time of his departure to Tethyr. Could you enlighten me with a timeline, as precise as you can?

EDIT: typos and clarifications

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 05 Jan 2016 13:44:28
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2016 :  13:50:21  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dear Mrs. Cunninghamm,

My question now is for some dates in your novels, if you can help me (I know they were written some years ago). I've seen that most of the events in Dream Spheres begin at the first harvest balls and festivals of 1368 DR, and that your Reclamation 1st chapter is set in 29 Eleint of the same year, and the text says:

"She [Arilyn] flexed her gloved hands. Not much more than a ten-day past, they'd been blackened and nearly skeletal."

I have a campaign running in Waterdeep at this period (my players just spend the autumn equinox among the elves), and I'd like to know which of the events were known to all in the city, and exactly when they occurred - like the dates of assembling and departure of the sky caravan, the presence of the wild elves in the city, the buzz caused by prince Haedrak's arrival in Waterdeep and the time of his departure to Tethyr. Could you enlighten me with a timeline, as precise as you can?

EDIT: typos and clarifications

Unfortunately, I don't recall the particulars in enough detail to provide a useful answer. Dream Spheres was written in 1998 and published in 1999, and a lot of water has gone under the bridge in the past 18 years. If I'd kept writing in the Realms, my recall would no doubt be better, but as matters stand, answering this question would require a lot of re-reading and research, as well as some new-lore creation.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2016 :  15:37:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Unfortunately, I don't recall the particulars in enough detail to provide a useful answer. (...)

OK, Mrs. Cunningham, I'll try to figure it by re-reading the novels. But I think you can help me with this: if the equinox is in 21 Eleint (September) and Arilyn is in Tethyr more than a tenday after the end of the novel events in 29 Eleint, how early could be the first festivals? Maybe in early Eleasias (August)? I've found references to real world harvest festivals in Aug 1 and in Aug 15... Do you think those are plausible dates?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page