Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  16:19:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

First, Danilo's gift of the book of riddles, were you familiar with the two Treasure Hunt books that were very much like this IRL? I have the first one, where the hidden items were little jeweleries,studded with precious gems, worth quite a boatload, in the shape of grasshoppers and butterflies and the like. I had that book, but could never figure out the riddles. The artwork was beautiful. Just wondered if you drew inspiration from those.

No, this wasn't the basic for the riddle book. Now that you mention it, I do have a faint memory of seeing a book like the one you described, but Danilo's book was more prosaic. It's just as described--a book of little tales and anecdotes, none of which are obviously treasure-related riddles.

quote:
And secondly, the half-elf cabin-boy Azariah rescues in Ch. 3. He is describes as having a jutting lower canine, incisor, tusk? My first thought was half-orc?

Yes. Connor is half-orc, half-elven, but he considers himself to be human, as to his way of thinking, that's halfway between orc and elf. He becomes Azariah's most trusted lieutenant.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  16:24:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most excellent. Thanks, as always, for your reply. Though the contest/treasure hunt is long over the books remain beautiful and the riddles challenging, to say the least.

Wow! I did not expect a confirmation on that second question. Awesome

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I'm very tempted to finish and post the next scene in this chapter, which gives a glimpse into Elaith's post-dragon-attack fate.

Should the itch return, please scratch it.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  16:31:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“Of a sort. The tales contain riddles, and each one leads to a cache of coins and magical items hidden throughout the Northlands. You are skilled in the solving of puzzles, so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding them, if the need arises.”

This is what prompted my query.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  17:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Elaine.

Any chance you'll be attending GEN CON this summer? The theme of this year’s Candlekeep Presents seminar is Women of the Realms, and it would be an honor to have you as a guest.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  18:36:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Hello Elaine.

Any chance you'll be attending GEN CON this summer? The theme of this year’s Candlekeep Presents seminar is Women of the Realms, and it would be an honor to have you as a guest.

Hi, Brian. I'd really hoped to attend Gen Con this summer, but it looks as if I'll have to shoot for next year.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  21:14:35  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

Here's a link to "Newsletter 2.0," a post on my website's blog. If you'd be interested in receiving an occasional newsletter with updates on new releases, work in progress, and the occasional freebie such as new short fiction (and maybe a bit of totally unauthorized Realms fanfic...), follow this link to subscribe. :)

http://www.elainecunningham.com/2015/02/02/newsletter-2-0/

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 03 Feb 2015 23:24:48
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  23:27:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elaine!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  23:59:46  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elaine!

Duly subscribed to your newsletter.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  10:39:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine, quite some time ago, I believe it was you who held some sort of contest in which you asked any who might like to participate to name a housecat-sized dragon. Am I remembering correctly? If so, what became of that project?

Not sure how I missed your newsletter. I just signed up. Hope I didn't miss anything;)>

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Feb 2015 10:57:05
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  14:33:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaine, quite some time ago, I believe it was you who held some sort of contest in which you asked any who might like to participate to name a housecat-sized dragon. Am I remembering correctly? If so, what became of that project?

Not sure how I missed your newsletter. I just signed up. Hope I didn't miss anything;)>

Hi, Fellfire. Nope, you didn't miss anything. I probably won't send a newsletter until late March or early April. By then I should have something to talk ABOUT.

The dragon contest does sound familiar, but I don't recall the particulars. It might have been for WINTER WITCH, a Pathfinder Tales novel. There's a "house drake" called Skywing in this book, and he's about the size of a house cat.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  14:36:44  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still haven't read that one. I'll get right on it. Thanks.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  14:40:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hope you like the book! It was co-written with Dave Gross. He came into the project after the cover and catalog were done, which is why his by-line isn't on the cover.

Oddly enough, Dave wrote most of the "girly' parts--sex and romance and shopping and so on. SOMEONE had to do it. As my Aunt Marilyn once observed, after reading one of my early attempts at women's fiction, "Girl, you don't have a romantic bone in your body. You should be writing something weird, like science fiction or fantasy."

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  14:46:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A wise woman.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  14:55:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hope you like the book! It was co-written with Dave Gross. He came into the project after the cover and catalog were done, which is why his by-line isn't on the cover.

Oddly enough, Dave wrote most of the "girly' parts--sex and romance and shopping and so on. SOMEONE had to do it. As my Aunt Marilyn once observed, after reading one of my early attempts at women's fiction, "Girl, you don't have a romantic bone in your body. You should be writing something weird, like science fiction or fantasy."

Marilyn? Is this where the name Arilyn came from?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  15:03:16  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Marilyn? Is this where the name Arilyn came from?

Not intentionally, no. "Arilyn" started out as a traditional Realms fantasy name, with lots of unnecessary consenants plus the odd scattering of h and y. Editor Jim Lowder trimmed it down to size. That said, Marilyn was quite pleased with the resemblance.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 03 Mar 2015 20:39:14
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  15:18:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alas, I cannot find this on my Kindle.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  15:32:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, I don't know why Paizo doesn't have a Kindle version available through Amazon You can get the ePub version from the Paizo website. I'm not sure if you can read ePub files with a Kindle, but if you're interested, here's a link:

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8h6j?Pathfinder-Tales-Winter-Witch
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  20:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I don't know why Paizo doesn't have a Kindle version available through Amazon You can get the ePub version from the Paizo website. I'm not sure if you can read ePub files with a Kindle, but if you're interested, here's a link:

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8h6j?Pathfinder-Tales-Winter-Witch

All of Paizo's ePub versions are easily converted to .Mobi (via calibre) and can be imported to the Kindle. I have used this method several times.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 03 Mar 2015 20:14:17
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  20:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

I was sad to see that your name was not listed amongst the contributors in Ed's Sessorium. Do you have plans to join them in the future?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 03 Mar 2015 20:18:13
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  20:35:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Hi Elaine,

I was sad to see that your name was not listed amongst the contributors in Ed's Sessorium. Do you have plans to join them in the future?

Hi, Hawkins.

Ed's new project is intriguing, and I'll be following its development with interest. We talked about me taking part, and I might at some point in the future, but right now my focus is elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  20:37:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

All of Paizo's ePub versions are easily converted to .Mobi (via calibre) and can be imported to the Kindle. I have used this method several times.

This is an excellent work-around. Just so you know, though, starting in June the Paizo novels will be published by Tor and distributed by McMillan. As part of this arrangement, the new books AND the backlist will be available in ebook format on Amazon.com and, I would assume, Nook as well (for however long B&N lasts...)
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2015 :  13:07:27  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
although I can make a guess as to it's general signification... what does tzarreth mean exactly? (as you can maybe guess I'm reading DotD and thoroughly enjoying it! so: thank you!)

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2015 :  04:07:16  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is one thing that deeply puzzles me, though: Why was the cargo of the Dragon's Hoard drow children? One would think that the followers of Vhaeraun would hold on to young malleable souls to bolster their ranks (a need that is expressed in chapter eighteen: 'Night Above'). Thanks in advance!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2015 :  05:48:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

There is one thing that deeply puzzles me, though: Why was the cargo of the Dragon's Hoard drow children? One would think that the followers of Vhaeraun would hold on to young malleable souls to bolster their ranks (a need that is expressed in chapter eighteen: 'Night Above'). Thanks in advance!

Even if you want recruits, you need capital.

And people are more dedicated to a cause when they choose it for themselves... If it's forced on them, their dedication often doesn't last beyond a serious challenge to their faith in that cause.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  14:34:44  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

although I can make a guess as to it's general signification... what does tzarreth mean exactly? (as you can maybe guess I'm reading DotD and thoroughly enjoying it! so: thank you!)

Sad to say, it has been so long since I wrote DotD that I don't recall the specific meaning of that word. I'm assuming it's an expletive, in which case the context will probably suffice.

Woolly nailed the reasoning behind the traffic of drow children. To the merchant band, everything is a commodity, and capital is a necessity. But one thing does not preclude the other. I would assume that they DO steal boy children, particularly those that show promise as fighters, to raise and indoctrinate. That's a long term investment, but almost certainly a part of their strategy.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  14:37:01  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

A quick note to let you know that there's a free short story posted on EGM Shorts, a flash fiction column by the small-press publisher Evil Girlfriend Media.

Hope you'll stop by.

http://bit.ly/EGMSHORTS
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  21:41:57  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine

Finally reading Thornhold (way too late!) and wonder if the name of Alice Tinker comes from you liking Vicar of Dibley? That show has a great character with the same name played by Emma Chambers. Loving the book by the way! Can't believe it took me so long to get to it!

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  20:58:55  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sad to say, it has been so long since I wrote DotD that I don't recall the specific meaning of that word. I'm assuming it's an expletive, in which case the context will probably suffice.

Woolly nailed the reasoning behind the traffic of drow children. To the merchant band, everything is a commodity, and capital is a necessity. But one thing does not preclude the other. I would assume that they DO steal boy children, particularly those that show promise as fighters, to raise and indoctrinate. That's a long term investment, but almost certainly a part of their strategy.

Thank you very much for your answer. I guess I underestimated how chaotic -evil- these particular vhaeraunites were ^_^ . I guess it's logic for a merchant company to go the capitalist way: short-term gain without regards for long-term consequences ;-P .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  21:55:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank you very much for your answer. I guess I underestimated how chaotic -evil- these particular vhaeraunites were ^_^ . I guess it's logic for a merchant company to go the capitalist way: short-term gain without regards for long-term consequences ;-P .

A lot of the time, if you don't have a short-term gain, you're not going to be around to worry about the long-term consequence.

It's not like male children are a rare commodity in drow society.

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2015 :  14:38:54  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd be very interested in [...] add[ing] an extensive section set during the Crown Wars. A "director's cut" version, if you will. Big ol' honkin' thing.

Would you be able to share any thoughts you've had on this? (I'm currently reading Evermeet and loving every page so far... and I thought it was curious how the Crown Wars were seemingly deliberately skipped.) I for one would love to see such a tome come to fruition, but I fear that WotC would have to greenlight it and that it isn't something they'd be interested in atm. :-/ A big thank you extending forward and backwards in time ;-P

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 24 Aug 2015 14:40:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000