Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 4e Questions - NO discussion!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  23:29:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^This is what I remember Ed saying, and then the SCAG suggested it was completely destroyed (based on the wording). I know lore gets overwritten all the time, which is why I said "we'll see". I think they destroyed MD again because people liked the ruins, so they "gave us the ruins back" (even though there was still unexplored areas when MD was restored). Personally, I like Ed's explanation better. It seems kind of silly to bring back a city only to destroy it (and another city) again a century later, though granted that kind of thing can and does happen.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  23:32:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The full article is here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/after-fall

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  01:38:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

^This is what I remember Ed saying, and then the SCAG suggested it was completely destroyed (based on the wording). I know lore gets overwritten all the time, which is why I said "we'll see". I think they destroyed MD again because people liked the ruins, so they "gave us the ruins back" (even though there was still unexplored areas when MD was restored). Personally, I like Ed's explanation better. It seems kind of silly to bring back a city only to destroy it (and another city) again a century later, though granted that kind of thing can and does happen.

Personally, I think the sillier thing was that a city laying in ruins for centuries, with twisted magic, fiends, and a host of other nastybads prowling about, somehow became cleansed, settled, and rebuilt in a handful of years.

Yes, I get that an elven army followed a fey'ri army into there -- but to me, that end result is still unrealistic. My thinking is that an armed outpost would be the more logical development, spreading out from there over a matter of decades to cleanse and rebuild the city.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  02:21:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
100% agree. In fact, the way I spun things above is pretty-much on the same page as what Ed said (except for the details about the srinshee - I personally like to leave the 'why' part out for individual DMs to fiddle with).

A big, spread-out area of ruins ("now with with more ruins in every bite!"), with a couple of semi-recaptured places wherein certain groups would have their bases. Hell, I'd even have one building on the furthest outskirts be a combination Inn, trading post (adventurer's supplies), and temple (the bartender {owner?} IS a priest of Tymora), where one can meet with all sorts of 'shady characters' and make deals (with various factions). Maybe have a few 'support buildings' (little more than shacks) around it offering services, and call the whole proto-settlement "Torm's Rest" or some-such. You zone the whole thing off like how they do in VG's, so that different areas are for different levels of adventurers. Heck, come to think of it, that DOES sound like an interesting VG: "The retaking of Myth Drannor").

The end-quest would be to shut down the malfunctioning mythalar, which is reacting badly being mixed with the mythal (we are talking 100 megaton nuke here, if the characters don't 'disarm it' in time). Then theres a cut-scene where Amluiral and the Elves of Evermeet fly-in on wing horses and and cast a ritual which 'heals' the mythalar, and Myth Drannor is restored!

The sequel: Myth Drannor - the deep levels
3rd (and final?) chapter: Myth Drannor: Welcome to Hell

Who needs Undermountain & Halaster, when we can have a half-crazed, cackling Elminster. Its basically a mega-dungeon set in a wilderness - I really don't think thats been done before.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Aug 2017 03:16:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  04:49:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

100% agree. In fact, the way I spun things above is pretty-much on the same page as what Ed said (except for the details about the srinshee - I personally like to leave the 'why' part out for individual DMs to fiddle with).

A big, spread-out area of ruins ("now with with more ruins in every bite!"), with a couple of semi-recaptured places wherein certain groups would have their bases. Hell, I'd even have one building on the furthest outskirts be a combination Inn, trading post (adventurer's supplies), and temple (the bartender {owner?} IS a priest of Tymora), where one can meet with all sorts of 'shady characters' and make deals (with various factions). Maybe have a few 'support buildings' (little more than shacks) around it offering services, and call the whole proto-settlement "Torm's Rest" or some-such. You zone the whole thing off like how they do in VG's, so that different areas are for different levels of adventurers. Heck, come to think of it, that DOES sound like an interesting VG: "The retaking of Myth Drannor").

The end-quest would be to shut down the malfunctioning mythalar, which is reacting badly being mixed with the mythal (we are talking 100 megaton nuke here, if the characters don't 'disarm it' in time). Then theres a cut-scene where Amluiral and the Elves of Evermeet fly-in on wing horses and and cast a ritual which 'heals' the mythalar, and Myth Drannor is restored!

The sequel: Myth Drannor - the deep levels
3rd (and final?) chapter: Myth Drannor: Welcome to Hell

Who needs Undermountain & Halaster, when we can have a half-crazed, cackling Elminster. Its basically a mega-dungeon set in a wilderness - I really don't think thats been done before.

We already have an insane lich there -- Druth Daern. So far as I know, he's never been mentioned outside of the Myth Drannor boxed set -- which means he's never officially been destroyed or driven off.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  22:21:37  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was the thinking behind, what seems to be, a 100 year hole in the timeline? I'm not saying there is nothing, but there is, from what I understand, very little.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  23:02:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

What was the thinking behind, what seems to be, a 100 year hole in the timeline? I'm not saying there is nothing, but there is, from what I understand, very little.

Officially it was to kinda make a hard stop, so that newcomers could pick up Realms material without having to worry about all the prior material.

Personally, I think it was entirely for the designers, so they could do whatever they felt like without worrying about prior material. Not that they weren't doing that before...

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  23:23:31  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

What was the source of the official "hard stop"? I agree with you, but I never knew there to be an official statement or any such stated reason.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Officially it was to kinda make a hard stop, so that newcomers could pick up Realms material without having to worry about all the prior material.

Personally, I think it was entirely for the designers, so they could do whatever they felt like without worrying about prior material. Not that they weren't doing that before...

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  23:33:32  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an article in Dragon 366 (IIRC), were they stated their official reasons.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  23:47:11  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Zeromaru X,

It is stated that,

quote:
With Ed Greenwood's help, the real forgotten realm Abeir returned to Toril, in the midst of a cataclysm of unleased wild magic.(Dragon Magazine #366, p.77)

I've participated in the thread discussing Toril being the original real planet, and I think you are in on that discussion too with Master Rupert.

My question:

Is that just the biggest retcon ever be declaring Toril wasn't the real forgotten realm?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

There is an article in Dragon 366 (IIRC), were they stated their official reasons.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  00:35:44  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess they said to mean that unlike Toril, Abeir was actually forgotten by the people, in-universe. Although the existence of a planet named Abeir is indeed a retcon.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  00:51:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Zeromaru X,

Well, I am going to go take my blood pressure meds now...

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I guess they said to mean that unlike Toril, Abeir was actually forgotten by the people, in-universe. Although the existence of a planet named Abeir is indeed a retcon.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000