Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  00:22:13  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sward-feast - a sward-feast is literally "a meal on the grass" or what we might call a picnic. (Dragon 334 - Crimmor, City of Caravans, pg 23 by Ed Greenwood)

throus (th-ROO-ss) - the local name for leeks in Crimmor (Amn). (Dragon 334 - Crimmor, City of Caravans, pg 23 by Ed Greenwood)

Alandor drusk - a large, sluggish, flavorful catfishlike bottom feeder (Dragon 334 - Crimmor, City of Caravans, pg 23 by Ed Greenwood)

blackjerkins - brawl-quelling security staff (Dragon 334 - Crimmor, City of Caravans, pg 31 by Ed Greenwood)

shoodra sauce - a sticky-sweet, caramel-hued sugary concoction made from cooked-to-jelly oranges, mangoes and pears (Dragon 334 - Crimmor, City of Caravans, pg 31 by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - rjfras on 15 Nov 2012 03:22:56
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  22:05:20  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just came across Coinlass in Lesser Evils, Chapter 4, page 64.

Might as well share this tidbit as well..

https://twitter.com/SirUrza/status/388770038179586048

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 11 Oct 2013 22:28:05
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2014 :  02:21:15  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SirUrza, that was an interesting conversation on Twitter...and I hope someone does get the chance to hack into Ed's emails...they would certainly prove insightful for more Realms lore

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2015 :  18:23:07  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why aren't any of the phrases in "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" listed here?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2015 :  20:37:28  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably because Kyrene hasn't been active here since that book came out, and apparently nobody else has posted them.

My own attempt to carry it forward got buried under other projects.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  21:08:22  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Why aren't any of the phrases in "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" listed here?

In the same book Ed mentions a lot of Realmspeak is borrowed elven... I'm curious as to which words. I'd love to be able to add them to the list of realms-elven words we already know..

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  20:45:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To All,

Nouveau Riche -
quote:
Down the centuries, in all Faerfmian societies, there has been tension between the nobility and those who aspire to such status-to say nothing of the tension between the wealthy and the hard-working, middle-classor-lower guilded merchants, shopkeepers, and crafters (craft workers). There are many terms used to describe the wealthy who lack titles or have only recently acquired them.

Newcoin - is a pejorative that refers to those who are newly rich and spending to show it off.

Brightcoin - is used for the socially rising. It's actually a polite term unless twisted by words attached to it.

Drippingly brightcoin- for instance, means one who is ostentatious in spending, blindly adherent to fashion, and inclined to display put-on manners.

Bright-fisted-coin refers one who is ramming one's own success down the throats of friends, acquaintances, and anyone within reach or earshot, or the practice of such behavior, as in "He was loud and rude, full of
bright-fisted-coin talk, all the while; we couldn't wait to be rid of him!"

Thrusters - are tirelessly ambitious social climbers. No arrogance is necessarily implied; this word characterizes someone who will do anything to advance in standing, from behaving as a sycophant to moving to another neighborhood to performing all sorts of demeaning roles or deceptions; a "whatever it takes" willingness.

Highmantle - is used for someone who is successfully superior or refined in manners, as in someone who is politely haughty, not sneeringly over-the-top offensively haughty. It is used both for old-money families and genuine nobles, as well as for persons whom the speaker knows to be newly wealthy or not wealthy at all, but who have successfully acted in a noble manner. For example, "And there he was, right in the thick of the dance, all proper highmantle, for all Faen1n as if he'd been born bathing in gold coins!"

Highnose - describes one who displays a general haughtiness. Also known in use are "highnosed" and "nose-worthy."

Swirlcloaks are those trying to copy the accents, phrases, fashions, gestures, and pastimes of the nobility. In particular, the term refers to someone who has suddenly come into money and wants to elicit better treatment from others by acting noble so as to be treated as noble.

Curses and Epithets of the Realms

Haularake (hah-rake; pronounced very quickly, as if it has but two syllables) is the allfaiths, acceptable in polite society equivalent of "gods darn it all, anyway."

Sark (ssark, drawn-out "s") is a more powerful form of "haularake," equivalent to "gods damn it all!"

Hrast (hur-rast) is a non-deity-specific "damn."

Hrammar (hur-ram-uh) is a "hrast" equivalent used in the Shining South.

Naeth (naythh, drawn-out "th") is the equivalent of saying "dung."

Naed (nayd) is a stronger form of "naeth."

Orbal (or-ball) is the Shining South equivalent of "naeth."

Sabruin (sah-broo-in) is the equivalent of"you" or "- off."

Tluin (tuh-loo-in) is the most emphatic way of saying "sabruin."

Stlarn (stuh-larn) or "stlarning" is a mild expletive, about equivalent to "screw," as in "Bah! They can't do one simple thing without stlarning up!"

Hrasting (hur-rast-ing) is a mild form of "stlarning," not associated with "hrast."

Straek (strrake, drawn-out "r") means "go drown yourself, right now and painfully." Then there are longer oaths. These are many and fanciful, but a handful see widespread use in a shortened, expletive-handy form.

Bind me! (long form "Bind me and tar me") is a slightly stronger equivalent of "Weell, strike me down!"

Dark! (long form "Dark and empty!") is the equivalent of saying "Damn and blast!" "Hells!" (long form "Those of all the Nine Hells take you!") began as the Faerunian equivalent of saying "The devil take you," but is now
closer to "Hell take us all."

Red garters! (long form "I'll turn out your guts for blood red garters!") which means, "Ho, you're going to catch it."

Happy dancing hobgoblins! (Hobgoblins do not say this, and are not amused when they hear it.) One mildly comical oath, still said in earnest by older Faerunians, usually when astonished

Everything in this post has been taken from Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms, pp. 15-6

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

neutrondecay
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  15:05:59  Show Profile Send neutrondecay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a listing anywhere of high noble titles from different races and cultures? I'm particularly interested in demihumans. I know that elves have 'coronal' for a great king or emperor, and 'laranlor' for a lesser king, and some dwarven kings are styled 'arcrown'. There was also mention (by Eric L Boyd, I think) of a 'kulduke' among the royal family of Ammarindar before its fall. And the halfling realm of Meiritin was ruled by a margrave, which is of course a RL human title. Does anyone know of any other noble titles - anything from a knight or baron up to an emperor - for elves, dwarves, gnomes or halflings? (Leaving out the knights and heads of orders specific to Cormanthyr, which I'm already aware of.)

Many thanks,

nd
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  15:45:43  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte neutrondecay,

You can find some information here at the 'Keep already at:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20569

I know that link isn't 100% what you're looking for, but I feel it is going in the right direction.

As to Elven, you may find the Treatise on Espruar A Field Study of the Elven Language in the Forgotten Realms Diane Morrison Version 1.0 to be interesting. Let me tell you, it is an amazing book. She has extensive sourcing in her bibliography, and has a disclaimer of free use at the end that I will post below, and a URL to that download too since she is allowing it.

quote:
Compilation copyright © 2003, 2014 by Diane Morrison. This work was created entirely for my own enjoyment and that of other elfophiles, so please feel free to distribute it freely, as long as this copyright notice, and all the appropriate acknowledgements of sources, are included.

Download link to the Elven language book (which definitely has noble words in it and goes into linguistics so you can build the exact words you want too):

https://docplayer.net/120685969-A-field-study-of-the-elven-language-in-the-forgotten-realms.html

As to Dwarven and other languages, I don't have it. You may want to seek out Steven Schend on here, and others, to help with that.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by neutrondecay

Is there a listing anywhere of high noble titles from different races and cultures? I'm particularly interested in demihumans. I know that elves have 'coronal' for a great king or emperor, and 'laranlor' for a lesser king, and some dwarven kings are styled 'arcrown'. There was also mention (by Eric L Boyd, I think) of a 'kulduke' among the royal family of Ammarindar before its fall. And the halfling realm of Meiritin was ruled by a margrave, which is of course a RL human title. Does anyone know of any other noble titles - anything from a knight or baron up to an emperor - for elves, dwarves, gnomes or halflings? (Leaving out the knights and heads of orders specific to Cormanthyr, which I'm already aware of.)

Many thanks,

nd

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  16:11:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have some stuff from Ed's pen, from our own pages here...

quote:
As far as I can recall, re. A Gavel's query: Steven wrote almost all of it (using Ed's very brief overall outline of the character of Amn and Tethyr, the Council of Six, and so on), and Ed was his weekly consultant (cheerleader). But I'll let the two gentlemen who know the truth speak.

And now, Ed replies to a request from Lore Lord of the Realms George Krashos, for “names/titles for the various races in respect of rulers of places/kingdoms etc.” as follows:

Ah, a deliciously useful question, George. Not as delicious as my Lady Hooded, but . . . ahem, being happily married to a lady (who plays D&D in the Realms on rare occasions), I really wouldn’t know anything about that, and must be relying entirely on my overly vivid imagination. Yes, that’s it! ;}
To answer this properly would take a long time and much space, but here’s a quick and incomplete summary that largely ignores local idiosyncrasies, etymologies, and suchlike (and leaves out religious ranks and offices entirely):

ELVES (additional to Coronal, etc.):
[[The following terms aren’t used in every elven realm or community.]]
The mayor or ‘chief of police and defense’ of a community is a DESMRAR (DESMRIL if female) (“DEZZ-mrar” or “DEZZ-mrill”)
A far-traveled, experienced elf who knows or remembers a lot, and can impart it (humans might use the term ‘sage,’ but that often implies book-learning and deduction, whereas the elves mean someone who’s seen with their own eyes, and only augments their own experience with what they’ve learned from others) is often, regardless of gender, called an ALANTAR (“Al-LAN-tar”)
A war leader (unit commander) or mission leader is sometimes called a TELEGAUNT (“TELL-eh-gont”), regardless of gender, but this term is usually used only if the individual is a veteran of proven merit
A SHEE (in some places, “SHREE”) was a wise female elder, strong in magic (in some cases, High Magic specifically; this is a corruption of the very old Elven word VELARSHEE) (“Ssh-EE” or “Shh-REE”)
Finally, IYILITAR (“ILL-i-tar”) was a unigender equivalent to Coronal in elder days, but is nigh-forgotten today

DWARVES:
The hereditary ruler of a kingdom, regardless of gender, is an ARCORM (long ago corrupted into “Arcrown,” a form used by some dwarves today: ARCROWN) (“ARR-corrum” or “AR-crown”)
A clan-chief, regardless of gender (most clans elect chiefs, from a limited number of candidates determined by blood descent, some clans excluding or preferring individuals on gender or gender-descent grounds), is a HARAXLORL (corrupted into “Axelord,” the usual form used by dwarves today: AXELORD) (“Har-AX-lore-ull” or “AX-lord”)
An elder or senior officer of a community, clan, or family is a TULVADE (“Tull-VAY-dd”), regardless of gender; this term originally meant ‘old veteran of wars,’ and dwarven writings should be examined with that in mind
A war-leader was of old called an IRAUNLOR in some realms and clans (this being a unigender title that could be held in addition to other titles), but this was long ago corrupted into “Iron Lord,” and this latter form is the only one used by [some] dwarves today: IRON LORD) (“EYE-rawn-lorr” or “EYE-urn Lord”)

GNOMES:
The hereditary ruler of a kingdom is a DARANDAR (MARANDAR if female, and unlike most other races, most gnomes value female descent slightly more favourably than male descent ) (“Dar-AND-ar” or “Mar-AND-ar”)
A chosen, elected, or co-ruler (as part of a council or DARTH-DEIR [ = ruling circle]) is a DARRATH (“DAR-rath”)
A clan or family head is a STURTH (this refers to spokesgnome and daily move-and-shaker, not “the oldest gnome of the blood;” many old females decide which slightly younger male or female is going to be their Sturth) (“Ss-TURTH”)
A mayor or community head is a DOAMEN (“DOE-men”)
An elder or any officer of a community is an URSTDOH (“URR-st-doe”)
All of the above terms are gender-neutral, though they tend to be held by males (except for “elders,” wherein the politically active elders and officers tend to be more male than female, with the females concentrating on being ‘wise old crones,’ mothering individuals who come to them for advice, loans, or medicines)

HALFLINGS:
The hereditary ruler of a kingdom is a KLAEL (“CLAY-ull”), a term little used today, except in the Border Kingdoms (where the proud hin bearing it rule a realm rarely larger than a farm)
A chosen, elected, or co-ruler (as part of a governing council) is an ARBAERN (“Arr-BARE-unn”), sometimes mistakenly called “Har-baron” by humans, and in a few cases the halflings don’t bother to correct this, and even start using it themselves)
A clan or family head is an AULDOAN (“Awld-OH-nn”), corrupted in some human records to “Old Stone”) and Auldoans are usually affectionately known by hin as “The Old,” as a prefix, so the head of Clan Minstrelwish will be referred to, even to his face, as “The Old Minstrelwish”
A mayor or community head is a VORN (“VOARR-en”)
An elder or any officer of a community is a HORUL (“HOAR-ull”)
All of the above terms are gender-neutral, though they tend to be held by males (except for “elders,” wherein the politically active elders and officers tend to be more female than male, with the males concentrating on being ‘wise old gaffers’ gruffly dispensing often-unlooked-for advice or physical assistance)

HUMANS:
Use a huge and everchanging list of titles, far too long to explore here, but I’ll give just a few “ruler and nobility” titles. All are gender-neutral unless otherwise noted:

Chessenta:
Sceptanar (wizard-king; officially he rules all, though in practise the city-states do as they please), with noble ranks as follows:
Nornar (duke, city ruler: various city lords craft their own fanciful titles, such as Melarch, Tarlarch, and Yoevyarkh)
Marquar (marquis)
Klelandar (viscount)
Thardoun (earl)
Deltharkh (baron)
Corlar (knight, baronet)

(The above titles are echoed [minor variations] in Tashluta and in various places in the Border Kingdoms and around the Vilhon)

Mulmaster (and many small independent realms and city-states around the Sea of Fallen Stars and points north [recent maps have ‘tidied up’ many tiny realms by simply omitting mention of them]:
High Blade (ruler)
Blades (nobles, sometimes differentiated by colors [e.g Blue Blade, Black Blade] or honorifics [Drawn Blade, Vigilant Blade), and almost always styled “of” a place, thus: Tharcel Marlmantle, Blue Blade of Port Malivar

Veldorn: the monster-ruled cities employ a huge variety of fanciful titles, but also echo an old hierarchy of ancient human realms of the South, remnants of which can be found in hundreds of towns and villages south of the Shaar and east of Chult, especially to the east of the area shown on most published maps thus far:

Ormelarch (king or realm ruler) (“OAR-mel-ark”), almost always styled “The Ormelarch”
Voivarr (duke or city ruler) (“VOY-varr”)
Nahloud (marquis or army commander/castle-lord) (“Nah-LOOD”)
Dauncelpad (viscount or envoy and negotiator of king) (“DON-sell-pad”) [Dauncelpara or Dauncelara if female]
Skorn (earl or territory ruler) [Skornra if female]
Ultarkh (town ruler, keep-ruler, regional forces commander) (“ULL-tark”)
Lancelar (knight, baronet)

So saith Ed. Who hinted that he’d have said more if there wasn’t yet another NDA looming up to meet him. Regarding his opening comments: Ah, yes, the old cinammon on the nipples trick lures ’em, every time.
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  16:15:02  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Fantastic! Thank you.

Is that from the So Saith Ed? If so, I should have thought of it.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We have some stuff from Ed's pen, from our own pages here...

quote:
As far as I can recall, re. A Gavel's query: Steven wrote almost all of it (using Ed's very brief overall outline of the character of Amn and Tethyr, the Council of Six, and so on), and Ed was his weekly consultant (cheerleader). But I'll let the two gentlemen who know the truth speak.

And now, Ed replies to a request from Lore Lord of the Realms George Krashos, for “names/titles for the various races in respect of rulers of places/kingdoms etc.” as follows:

Ah, a deliciously useful question, George. Not as delicious as my Lady Hooded, but . . . ahem, being happily married to a lady (who plays D&D in the Realms on rare occasions), I really wouldn’t know anything about that, and must be relying entirely on my overly vivid imagination. Yes, that’s it! ;}
To answer this properly would take a long time and much space, but here’s a quick and incomplete summary that largely ignores local idiosyncrasies, etymologies, and suchlike (and leaves out religious ranks and offices entirely):

ELVES (additional to Coronal, etc.):
[[The following terms aren’t used in every elven realm or community.]]
The mayor or ‘chief of police and defense’ of a community is a DESMRAR (DESMRIL if female) (“DEZZ-mrar” or “DEZZ-mrill”)
A far-traveled, experienced elf who knows or remembers a lot, and can impart it (humans might use the term ‘sage,’ but that often implies book-learning and deduction, whereas the elves mean someone who’s seen with their own eyes, and only augments their own experience with what they’ve learned from others) is often, regardless of gender, called an ALANTAR (“Al-LAN-tar”)
A war leader (unit commander) or mission leader is sometimes called a TELEGAUNT (“TELL-eh-gont”), regardless of gender, but this term is usually used only if the individual is a veteran of proven merit
A SHEE (in some places, “SHREE”) was a wise female elder, strong in magic (in some cases, High Magic specifically; this is a corruption of the very old Elven word VELARSHEE) (“Ssh-EE” or “Shh-REE”)
Finally, IYILITAR (“ILL-i-tar”) was a unigender equivalent to Coronal in elder days, but is nigh-forgotten today

DWARVES:
The hereditary ruler of a kingdom, regardless of gender, is an ARCORM (long ago corrupted into “Arcrown,” a form used by some dwarves today: ARCROWN) (“ARR-corrum” or “AR-crown”)
A clan-chief, regardless of gender (most clans elect chiefs, from a limited number of candidates determined by blood descent, some clans excluding or preferring individuals on gender or gender-descent grounds), is a HARAXLORL (corrupted into “Axelord,” the usual form used by dwarves today: AXELORD) (“Har-AX-lore-ull” or “AX-lord”)
An elder or senior officer of a community, clan, or family is a TULVADE (“Tull-VAY-dd”), regardless of gender; this term originally meant ‘old veteran of wars,’ and dwarven writings should be examined with that in mind
A war-leader was of old called an IRAUNLOR in some realms and clans (this being a unigender title that could be held in addition to other titles), but this was long ago corrupted into “Iron Lord,” and this latter form is the only one used by [some] dwarves today: IRON LORD) (“EYE-rawn-lorr” or “EYE-urn Lord”)

GNOMES:
The hereditary ruler of a kingdom is a DARANDAR (MARANDAR if female, and unlike most other races, most gnomes value female descent slightly more favourably than male descent ) (“Dar-AND-ar” or “Mar-AND-ar”)
A chosen, elected, or co-ruler (as part of a council or DARTH-DEIR [ = ruling circle]) is a DARRATH (“DAR-rath”)
A clan or family head is a STURTH (this refers to spokesgnome and daily move-and-shaker, not “the oldest gnome of the blood;” many old females decide which slightly younger male or female is going to be their Sturth) (“Ss-TURTH”)
A mayor or community head is a DOAMEN (“DOE-men”)
An elder or any officer of a community is an URSTDOH (“URR-st-doe”)
All of the above terms are gender-neutral, though they tend to be held by males (except for “elders,” wherein the politically active elders and officers tend to be more male than female, with the females concentrating on being ‘wise old crones,’ mothering individuals who come to them for advice, loans, or medicines)

HALFLINGS:
The hereditary ruler of a kingdom is a KLAEL (“CLAY-ull”), a term little used today, except in the Border Kingdoms (where the proud hin bearing it rule a realm rarely larger than a farm)
A chosen, elected, or co-ruler (as part of a governing council) is an ARBAERN (“Arr-BARE-unn”), sometimes mistakenly called “Har-baron” by humans, and in a few cases the halflings don’t bother to correct this, and even start using it themselves)
A clan or family head is an AULDOAN (“Awld-OH-nn”), corrupted in some human records to “Old Stone”) and Auldoans are usually affectionately known by hin as “The Old,” as a prefix, so the head of Clan Minstrelwish will be referred to, even to his face, as “The Old Minstrelwish”
A mayor or community head is a VORN (“VOARR-en”)
An elder or any officer of a community is a HORUL (“HOAR-ull”)
All of the above terms are gender-neutral, though they tend to be held by males (except for “elders,” wherein the politically active elders and officers tend to be more female than male, with the males concentrating on being ‘wise old gaffers’ gruffly dispensing often-unlooked-for advice or physical assistance)

HUMANS:
Use a huge and everchanging list of titles, far too long to explore here, but I’ll give just a few “ruler and nobility” titles. All are gender-neutral unless otherwise noted:

Chessenta:
Sceptanar (wizard-king; officially he rules all, though in practise the city-states do as they please), with noble ranks as follows:
Nornar (duke, city ruler: various city lords craft their own fanciful titles, such as Melarch, Tarlarch, and Yoevyarkh)
Marquar (marquis)
Klelandar (viscount)
Thardoun (earl)
Deltharkh (baron)
Corlar (knight, baronet)

(The above titles are echoed [minor variations] in Tashluta and in various places in the Border Kingdoms and around the Vilhon)

Mulmaster (and many small independent realms and city-states around the Sea of Fallen Stars and points north [recent maps have ‘tidied up’ many tiny realms by simply omitting mention of them]:
High Blade (ruler)
Blades (nobles, sometimes differentiated by colors [e.g Blue Blade, Black Blade] or honorifics [Drawn Blade, Vigilant Blade), and almost always styled “of” a place, thus: Tharcel Marlmantle, Blue Blade of Port Malivar

Veldorn: the monster-ruled cities employ a huge variety of fanciful titles, but also echo an old hierarchy of ancient human realms of the South, remnants of which can be found in hundreds of towns and villages south of the Shaar and east of Chult, especially to the east of the area shown on most published maps thus far:

Ormelarch (king or realm ruler) (“OAR-mel-ark”), almost always styled “The Ormelarch”
Voivarr (duke or city ruler) (“VOY-varr”)
Nahloud (marquis or army commander/castle-lord) (“Nah-LOOD”)
Dauncelpad (viscount or envoy and negotiator of king) (“DON-sell-pad”) [Dauncelpara or Dauncelara if female]
Skorn (earl or territory ruler) [Skornra if female]
Ultarkh (town ruler, keep-ruler, regional forces commander) (“ULL-tark”)
Lancelar (knight, baronet)

So saith Ed. Who hinted that he’d have said more if there wasn’t yet another NDA looming up to meet him. Regarding his opening comments: Ah, yes, the old cinammon on the nipples trick lures ’em, every time.
love to all,
THO

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

neutrondecay
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  17:07:07  Show Profile Send neutrondecay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Best wishes,

nd
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  18:33:11  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte neutrondecay,

My pleasure for any assistance I rendered. I'd love to know how that turns out for you if it does indeed help you out with the guide to Espruar. Toss me a message back on here if you don't mind about that! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by neutrondecay

Thank you all! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Best wishes,

nd

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  03:37:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

As to Elven, you may find the Treatise on Espruar A Field Study of the Elven Language in the Forgotten Realms Diane Morrison Version 1.0 to be interesting. Let me tell you, it is an amazing book. She has extensive sourcing in her bibliography, and has a disclaimer of free use at the end that I will post below, and a URL to that download too since she is allowing it.

Compilation copyright © 2003, 2014 by Diane Morrison. This work was created entirely for my own enjoyment and that of other elfophiles, so please feel free to distribute it freely, as long as this copyright notice, and all the appropriate acknowledgements of sources, are included.

Download link to the Elven language book (which definitely has noble words in it and goes into linguistics so you can build the exact words you want too):

https://docplayer.net/120685969-A-field-study-of-the-elven-language-in-the-forgotten-realms.html

[/quote]

Great resource but the bibliography is useless. A proper referencing system advising where the words were allegedly obtained would have been much better - I suspect the writer had inserted some of her own creations. There are words there that I have never seen before - and I've read every FR product cover to cover a hundred times over.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  05:43:54  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

Well thank you for offering that critique. Not being a master of Espruar, that is good to know.

So, would you say it is just better to retract the suggestion to use it due to it being of the right quality, or just your point here as something to consider?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great resource but the bibliography is useless. A proper referencing system advising where the words were allegedly obtained would have been much better - I suspect the writer had inserted some of her own creations. There are words there that I have never seen before - and I've read every FR product cover to cover a hundred times over.

-- George Krashos
[/quote]

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  11:08:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think anyone should use it for their own home campaigns. People using it for writing projects should be a bit more reticent.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  19:27:34  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

And this is why people with your background with the Realms are invaluable here.

I have actually used it in my home campaign. I've never written anything for a place like the 'Keep, so I am glad that you told me to be reticent about that.

Though, I have toyed around with the idea of developing economic models for the Realms that delve into trade policy, supply chain development (in Realms terms), i.e. raw material excavation points; monetary/specie policy (such as with Cormyr's mandate that all foreign specie be exchanged to Cormyrian currency upon entry into the country), banking and credit (assuming based on High Germanic Medieval systems), and more.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I think anyone should use it for their own home campaigns. People using it for writing projects should be a bit more reticent.

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2021 :  15:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Dear all,

Regards,
Kyrene
Senior Scribe

Dear all,

Thank you to all who have carried the torch and added to this list through your own contributions over the last ten years. Wow, has it really been that long? I really appreciate your additions to this body of work, so that the knowledge contained within may not be lost to time.

I have also added some Impilturian terms that were still in question back in 2010 when I gave up on this list. I am not going to add any of the terms added in my absence to the main list, but rather let those additions honour the scribes who made them (including any added without a proper reference).

Lastly, to complete my work, I will reply to this with a list of terms that is still part of my notes (unconfirmed, or unformatted, or mostly confirmed, or poor “crawhorn” that never made further than Faraer's original list that inspired me to do this in the first place). I will also share the remaining four terms from the list I received in an email from the ever-gracious George Krashos back in 2010.

Warm Regards,
Kyrene(ZA)
Senior Scribe

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 30 Jul 2021 16:42:47
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2021 :  16:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: Thanks to Steven's prompt reply I could move the Calimport related stuff to the main list. I also added the original unconfirmed terms. Upon further inspection, I noticed that 3 of George's remaining words were already in the master list, and "fiddlehead" is a real word term, so they have all been dealt with.

The main list was compiled from 13 Hammer, the Year of the Ageless One (1479 DR) to 29 Eleasis, the Year of the Star Walker's Return (1490 DR) and contains over 1,700 phrases, sayings or words. These are what remain unconfirmed, or unformatted, or mostly confirmed, or unknown:

• pleasure-lass

• laranlor” – Elven:- a term used for a male elven ruler of a realm that is not big enough to warrant the use of the term “coronal

• laranla” – Elven:- a term used for a male elven ruler of a realm that is not big enough to warrant the use of the term “coronal

• ?” – Alzhedo:- a personal bodyguard of “wildblades” employed by a pasha, yshah, ynamalik, sultan, caleph, or satrap (So saith Ed - December 19, 2005)

• crawhorn” – Common:- ? (source unknown)

• blackroot” – Common:- “. . .the price of a tankard of blackroot, but I'm dry of words. . .” (My Slice of Silverymoon, Part Four by Ed Greenwood)
    "blackroot" is akin to licorice (REAL licorice, that is), and beer made from it (so, a dark, thick, almost syrupy brew with a unique taste that has just the tiniest hint of sweetness) is also called "blackroot." (So saith THO - August 13, 2010)

• stonemaiden” – Common:- “Sharantyr dropped her stonemaiden to the ground” (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• maiden’s stone” – Common:- “Sharantyr dashed the maiden’s stones across the man’s snarling face” (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• dunwing” – Common:- “. . .deep in the Stonelands that a dunwing flying past squawked. . .” (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• Shederran

• Vendui” – Drow:- a greeting used by drow

• Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 02 Sep 2021 12:11:33
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  09:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • arispeg” – Common:- a green, segmented “spear” weed that grows along the Tashalar coast, in the salt-spray rocky shallows and on beaches and coastal marshes, in contact with saltwater and brackish water, and tastes almost like cooked lobster (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 14, 2021)

• knuth” – Common:- a small green banana from the Tashalar south that has a caramel-like, semi-sweet taste (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - May 13, 2019)

• harsarm” – Halfling:- a term for ginger beer (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 13, 2019)

• Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2021 :  12:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • arantym” – Dwarven:- same as “ripplebark”

• “ripplebark” is already in the main list

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2021 :  13:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • Akûrian” – Common:- the native tongue of Tashalans (Dragon Annual #4)

• durr” – Akûrian/Alzhedo:- semolina (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - July 30, 2021)

• haelaer” – Akûrian:- (roughly translated as “home ground”) a Tashalan word for the abode of a wealthy family who dwell with their servants inside a walled compound owned and governed by that family; or a walled compound shared by more or less equal families (So saith Ed - January 29, 2009)

• Haeloot, the” – Akûrian:- (translated as “all who dwell within walls, outside city walls”) a Tashalan term used in everyday conversation to mean the great mass of people who dwell in haelaers, in either a disparaging or a social sense (So saith Ed - January 29, 2009)

• mraed” – Common:- the term for halva made from raisins, almonds, pecans, and dates with coconut milk and durr known in Calimshan, Tharsult, and the Tashalar (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - July 30, 2021)

• murrl” – Common:- the term for the many-nuts, many-berries, sesame-based halva known in Chessenta, the Vilhon, and Var the Golden (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - July 30, 2021)

• tal” – Common:- the term for the walnuts-and-cherries-and-honey halva known in Unther, Mulhorand, and Raurin (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - July 30, 2021)

• taunth” – Common:- the term for the grain-based, sugar-cane-syrup-cooked halva known in Ulgarth and the Utter East (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - July 30, 2021)

• taunthaun” – Common:- the term for “tal” known in Thay (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - July 30, 2021)

• tharra” – Midani:- the Bedine word for pistachio nuts (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - July 30, 2021)

• vauv” – Common:- the term for halva made from crushed dates, crushed roasted tharra, honey syrup and wild rice flour known to the Bedine (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - July 30, 2021)

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  11:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • City of Seasnakes, the” – Common:- a term for Narubel (Serpent Kingdoms by Eric L. Boyd, Darrin Drader, Ed Greenwood)

• delph” – Common:- a yellowish, sharp-onion-tasting spice powder derived from crushing and drying yellow wildflowers that grow all over high waste ground in Unther, Mulhorand, Chessenta, and Threskel, used a little like mustard, but doesn’t tint anything yellow and never moulds or mildews or spoils (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 14, 2021)

• marka” – Common:- a dark red/maroon, almost black when wet, spice made from the ground-up branches of a thorn bush that grows mainly in the foothills in Murghom and Semphar, and imparts a hearty “fried meat” taste to anything (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 14, 2021)

• ortulag” – Common:- a word used in the South for bad coffee (So saith Ed - March 6, 2005)

• Tharsen” – Common:- a term applied to the collective folk of Tharsult, their work, study, beliefs, and customs, and to items of their making (Realmswatch: Ed Says: Geography by Ed Greenwood)

• Thondur’s” – Common:- the word for coffee beans from beyond Durpar; Thondur’s beans are large, have a pronounced cleft or depressed line running their length, and have a bluish tint to their chestnut brown colour (So saith Ed - March 6, 2005)

• thouk” – Common:- a Tashalan word for a tiny woodlot of jungle where vines, flowers, trees, birds, and small jungle creatures flourish (So saith Ed - January 29, 2009)

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2021 :  14:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • ammarar” – Common:- a “Watch” rank equivalent to a lieutenant (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• Commander of the Watch, the” – Common:- the highest ranking member of “the City Watch”; a “watchman” rank equivalent to a general (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• constable” – Common:- the lowest ranking members of “the Watch” or police force in the cities of Amn (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• halar” – Common:- a “Wintershield” rank equivalent to a captain (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• halthan” – Common:- a “Watch” rank equivalent to a captain (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• harmace” – Common:- a “Watch” rank equivalent to a colonel (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• high constable” – Common:- a rank equivalent to a corporal in the police force in the cities of Amn (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• hornsel” – Common:- a rank equivalent to a captain in the police force in the cities of Amn (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• huthtar” – Common:- a rank equivalent to a colonel in the police force in the cities of Amn (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• Lord Commander of the Watch, the” – Common:- the highest ranking member of “the Wintershield Watchmen”; a “Wintershield” rank equivalent to a general (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• Lord Commander, the” – Common:- the highest ranking member of “the Watch” or police force in the cities of Amn; a rank equivalent to a general in “the Watch” or police force in the cities of Amn (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• malrar” – Common:- a “Wintershield” rank equivalent to a colonel (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• ondramar” – Common:- a rank equivalent to a major in the police force in the cities of Amn (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• onstal” – Common:- a “Wintershield” rank equivalent to a lieutenant (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• orspear” – Common:- a “Watch” rank equivalent to a major (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• shield” – Common:- a “Watch” rank equivalent to a corporal (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• shieldlord” – Common:- a rank equivalent to a lieutenant in the police force in the cities of Amn (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• swordar” – Common:- a rank equivalent to a sergeant in “the Watch” or police force in the cities of Amn (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• torsin” – Common:- a “watchman” rank equivalent to a colonel (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• warden” – Common:- a “Watch” rank equivalent to a major general (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 4, 2019)

• Watch, the” – Common:- a term for Baldur’s Gate’s police force (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting by Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo)

• Wintershield Watchmen, the” – Common:- a term for Neverwinter’s police force (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - September 2, 2019)

Edited by - Kyrene on 04 Aug 2021 14:50:02
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  15:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • arkren” – Common:- a unit of weight measuring 2 tons (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 29, 2019)

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2021 :  15:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • A good war arrow can shake a realm, or even sweep it away, with but a single well-aimed flight but if that strike comes in a time of war, against an armored foe, that strike tends to be hard on the arrow” – Common:- an old Northern saying (Wyrms of the North: Tostyn Alaerthmaugh, “the Silver Flame” by Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds)

• duthlur” – Drow:- (literally “unclean”) a term for poisons made by humans (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 20, 2021)

• elgloi” – Drow:- a term for venom, meaning, a natural creature’s poison conveyed to foes/prey by biting (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 20, 2021)

• eltliqluh” – Drow:- a term for acid, including corrosive creature spittle or breath or vomit (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 20, 2021)

• ib” – Orc:- a term used to mean dot as in “small mark,” in writing or otherwise (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 14, 2020)

• ibhul” – Orc:- plural of “ib” (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 14, 2020)

• ornatlar” – Drow:- the term for drow (sleep) poison (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 20, 2021)

• Regular Klauth work!” – Common:- a Sword Coast North expression used to describe butchery (Wyrms of the North: Klauth, “Old Snarl” by Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds)

• shaauuk” – Orc:- (literally “eye-fist”) a term for something seen at a distance in air or water, too distant to be identified; speck (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 14, 2020)

• shaauuka” – Orc:- plural of “shaauuk” (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 14, 2020)

• The White Wyrm came calling” – Common:- a popular Sword Coast euphemism for the death of a sailor, whatever the cause (Wyrms of the North: Arveiaturace, “The White Wyrm” by Ed Greenwood, Eric L. Boyd)

Edited by - Kyrene on 06 Aug 2021 15:07:15
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2021 :  09:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • ae” – Elven:- one (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• aulauth” – Elven:- flower; blossom (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 27, 2019)

• aulauthspir” – Elven:- (literally “thornflower”) rose (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 27, 2019)

• braege” – Elven:- haven (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 25, 2021)

• daen” – Elven:- mist (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 17, 2019)

• dloum” – Elven:- four (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• dwaor” – Elven:- the singular and plural word for diamonds (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• eedqa” – Elven:- the word for the reverie elves usually experience instead of sleep (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 14, 2020)

• eleglim” – Elven:- the singular and plural word for sapphires (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• ever” – Elvish:- home; of the ((Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 25, 2021; Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 23, 2021)

• hethtalos” – Elven:- storm (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 17, 2019)

• ifeira” – Elven:- eternal; always, in the context of non-living things or conditions (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 14, 2020)

• ildim” – Elven:- sadness (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• ilnay” – Elven:- the singular and plural word for tears (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• imbur” – Elvish:- dusk; dusk lighting; sooty; shadowed; the term for a sooty or shadowed appearance (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 27, 2019; Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 28, 2021)

• imdaur” – Elven:- the word for lasting sorrow; mourning (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• juthuss” – Elven:- many (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• laqaith” – Elven:- the singular and plural word for emeralds (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• lildun” – Elven:- summer (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 17, 2019)

• mifir” – Elven:- undying; persists; always, in the context of living things (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - October 23, 2020)

• mormhaor” – Elven:- corrupted death; undeath (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - October 23, 2020)

• naor” – Elven:- never (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• narl” – Elven:- black (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 27, 2019)

• nayal” – Elven:- weeping; crying (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• nayaln” – Elven:- wept (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• ohul” – Elven:- frozen (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• ohulnar” – Elven:- (literally “frozenfire”) the singular and plural word for amber (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• oth” – Elven:- winter (as in ‘cold time of year’ when speaking of blizzards, closed roads, and dying of exposure); freezing; frozen; killing cold (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 17, 2019)

• oum” – Elven:- the singular and plural word for moonstones (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• oumrae” – Elvish:- dark; eerie; the term for dark and eerie (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 27, 2019; Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 28, 2021)

• ounae” – Elven:- two (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• raor” – Elven:- the singular and plural word for rubies (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• rathnar” – Elven:- one of several words for aspects of fire (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• rauv” – Elven:- deep (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 25, 2021)

• Rauvsyeverbraege” – Elven:- (literally “deep-green-home-haven”) the term for Evermeet (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 25, 2021)

• spir” – Elven:- thorn; spike (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 27, 2019)

• staeya” – Elven:- the word for the state of calm contemplation or daydreaming (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 14, 2020)

• sy” – Elven:- green (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 25, 2021)

• teth” – Elven:- three (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 13, 2019)

• thu” – Elven:- fog (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 17, 2019)

• tuev” – Elven:- spring (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 17, 2019)

• valan” – Elven:- fall (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 17, 2019)

Edited by - Kyrene on 01 Dec 2021 10:49:37
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2021 :  09:37:53  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • alljack” – Common:- a generic pseudonym (a modern American might say a “John Doe”) (So saith Ed - March 19, 2007)

• barthoun” – Dwarven:- thunder (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 29, 2020)

• blacktongue” – Common:- a fever-inducing disease (Power of Faerûn by Ed Greenwood, Eric L. Boyd)

• broadpetal” – Common:- a Turmish leaf-lettuce-like plant that forms part of Turmian cuisine (So saith Ed - June 10, 2004)

• deathfang” – Common:- a type of flying snake (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood; So saith Ed - February 5, 2011)

• findal” – Dwarven:- divine favour; blessing; godly gift (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 29, 2020)

• glinklarr” – Common:- a tiny metal (or carved wood) mouth organ with two inner vibrating reeds and a projecting “snout” (narrowing output rather than a flaring horn) over which are strung four to six fine strings (So saith Ed - October 14, 2010)

• Harl Amendall” – Common:- a typical Faerûnian “alljack” name (So saith Ed - March 19, 2007)

• hyar” – Gnoll:- rock; loose stone (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 15, 2020)

• hyuk” – Gnoll:- mountain; a range of mountains (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 15, 2020)

• hyukla” – Gnoll:- crag; spire (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 15, 2020)

• Jack-of-Blades” – Common:- same as “Harl Amendall”

• marketmoot” – Common:- a rural gathering, not dominated by agriculture, having a large trade-fair and many public and private business meetings (So saith Ed - January 4, 2010)

• mursinom” – Common:- a locally derived Turmish spice which has a rich, beef-gravy-like taste (So saith Ed - June 10, 2004)

• pleasure queen revel” – Common:- a term for a strip show (So saith Ed - October 6, 2010)

• ploughmoot” – Common:- a rural gathering, dominated by agriculture, having a large trade-fair and many public and private business meetings; agricultural fair (So saith Ed - January 4, 2010)

• salaspers” – Common:- fiddleheads of various ferns that form part of Turmian cuisine (So saith Ed - June 10, 2004)

• stonehead” – Common:- a term for someone (or something) of terse manner and slow speech; a dolt (Realmslore: The Lost Ship, Part Two by Ed Greenwood; So saith Ed - July 28, 2005; Ed Greenwood on Twitter - July 18, 2020)

• tradesmoot” – Common:- same as “marketmoot”

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2021 :  13:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • And foes fall when you hit them” – Common:- is the dwarven expression to express the view that someone is stating something that is completely obvious (a variant on the modern, real-world “No sh*t, Sherlock”) (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - November 12, 2019)

• And trees grow, no?” – Common:- the elven equivalent of “And foes fall when you hit them”

• ara” – Netherese:- a term for dangerously capable (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 28, 2020)

• arkai” – Netherese:- (literally “dangerous fey”) a general term for the Netherese shadar-kai (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 28, 2020)

• calam” – Elvish:- sunrise (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 14, 2019)

• Clear before the gods” – Common:- (a corruption of a quote from Augathra the Mad: “Clear before all gods”) a phrase that signifies clearly defined opposing principles or issues (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 13, 2019)

• darsargar” – Common:- powdered ginger (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 19, 2020)

• darthan” – Chondathan:- neighbourhood; a term for a small, specific locale; a term for a group of dwellers, meaning neighbours who flee war or disaster together (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - May 30, 2021)

• dazar” – Alzhedo:- whip (noun); lash (noun) (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 21, 2020)

• des” – Elvish:- a syllable that can denote a flower in bloom, or femininity (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 1, 2020)

• deth” – Elvish:- same as “des

• edge and flat” – Common:- a dwarven phrase that signifies clearly defined opposing principles or issues, now in common use among all trading races, meaning any fool can feel the difference between the edge and flat of a blade (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 13, 2019)

• feywine” – Common:- a nectar created from the juice of flowers, mixed with honey and an additional, secret ingredient; in elves it can induce frivolous behaviour, lasting for days or even weeks, but the effects on other races is much greater, and large quantities can make a human lose all sense of self for months (The Complete Book of Elves by Colin McComb)

• irrquarlan” – Elvish:- a phrase meaning no fun to be around, or not open to new ideas and ways, or not extroverted (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 6, 2020)

• kai” – Netherese:- fey (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 28, 2020)

• klaraunth” – Common:- barley vodka from Chessenta, Tethyr, or the Vilhon (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 19, 2020)

• kuarr” – Alzhedo:- constellation (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 14, 2020)

• lalay” – Elvish:- song (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 14, 2019)

• marketmoot” – Thorass:- the closest term to a town (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - December 17, 2020)

• neirt” – Drow:- whip (noun); lash (noun) (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 21, 2020)

• neirtarr” – Drow:- whip (verb); lash (verb) (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 21, 2020)

• nyrhlas” – Elvish:- whip (noun); lash (noun) (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 21, 2020)

• nyrtlassa” – Elvish:- whip (verb); lash (verb) (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 21, 2020)

• omraestrum” – Elvish:- a term for a sung saga or long epic ballad (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 14, 2019)

• Orcs breed” – Common:- the halfling equivalent of “And foes fall when you hit them”

• ormra” – Elvish:- morning (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - February 14, 2019)

• poised” – Common:- a term for transitioning individuals used along the Sword Coast and Heartlands trade routes to Sembia and Chessenta (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 6, 2020)

• pur” – Thorass:- the old Common term for a great or large settlement; city (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - December 17, 2020)

• red renth” – Common:- cherry juice (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 19, 2020)

• ruloan” – Elvish:- same as “scramble-squirrel”

• sarrak” – Common:- a Rashemi and Impilturan drink; we would call it “potato-based vodka” (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 19, 2020)

• scramble-squirrel” – Common:- a small, furry rodent that have hairless, prehensile tails that resemble rat-tails and large compound eyes like flies; in behavior, curiosity, boldness, and persistence akin to a real-world red squirrel (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 1, 2020)

• Sharessan” – Common:- a term applied to the worshipers and the religion of Sharess (So saith Ed - January 30, 2005)

• sildur” – Common:- (from the Elvish word) a term sometimes used by those who have settled into a gender other than their birth gender (or finished transitioning) to refer to themselves as (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 6, 2020)

• sildur” – Elvish:- a term for at rest after changing (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - March 6, 2020)

• slau” – Elvish:- mud (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - June 6, 2020)

• sun and moon” – Common:- an elven phrase that signifies clearly defined opposing principles or issues, meaning anyone with eyesight can tell the difference between sunlight and moonlight (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 13, 2019)

• sweetstalk” – Common:- a celery-like sweet green vegetable that grows wild across the Heartlands (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 19, 2020)

• tapdragon” – Common:- sugar cane molasses-based vodka (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 19, 2020)

• Trees grow, no?” – Common:- same as “And trees grow, no?”

• tuldazrim” – Alzhedo:- whip (verb); lash (verb) (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - April 21, 2020)

Edited by - Kyrene on 16 Aug 2021 14:39:31
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2021 :  07:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
  • drae” – Gnomish:- life; experience; point of view (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 22, 2020)

• duthsnout” – Halfling:- badger (So saith Ed - December 29, 2015)

• glarmawl” – Halfling:- wolverine (So saith Ed - December 29, 2015)

• gluth” – Halfling:- glutton; ravenous (So saith Ed - December 29, 2015)

• harlhar” – Halfling:- aggressive; a term for spoiling for a fight (So saith Ed - December 29, 2015)

• hin” – Halfling:- a term for a halfling, meaning “one of us” or “good folk” (So saith Ed - December 29, 2015)

• hrimm” – Halfling:- wise (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - August 9, 2020)

• lauly” – Halfling:- fat (So saith Ed - December 29, 2015)

• luth” – Halfling:- big; a term for larger than normal (So saith Ed - December 29, 2015)

• oroth” – Halfling:- a term for a large and fierce bear (So saith Ed - December 29, 2015)

• rennard” – Halfling:- fox (So saith Ed - December 29, 2015)

• sautha” – Halfling:- a term for a drinking buddy or pleasant acquaintance (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - August 9, 2020)

• teth” – Gnomish:- thought (noun); idea (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 22, 2020)

• tethen” – Gnomish:- musings; thinking; thoughts (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 22, 2020)

• vaer” – Halfling:- a term for a true friend or trusted friend (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - August 9, 2020)

• vaerhrimm” – Halfling:- a term for a wise friend (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - August 9, 2020)

• vaeryahael” – Halfling:- a term for a strong friend (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - August 9, 2020)

• vul” – Gnomish:- my (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 22, 2020)

• yahael” – Halfling:- strong (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - August 9, 2020)

• yoan” – Gnomish:- a term for being gnomish, or “I am a gnome” (Ed Greenwood on Twitter - January 22, 2020)

Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000