Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Skyships
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  22:22:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alystra, oh there are many ways magic can be used. Using magic a broom can be used. I believe the idea of this thread was about using tech as opposed to magic.
The one thing to remember about magic, any spell can be dispelled which certainly can take down the broom, let alone a far vaster magical construct. Over the years, some constructs have been harder to take out because of dispelling targets a single spell. Alas it also comes down to after experiment (and survival of same) all magical effects can be either dispelled or reversed.

On some review, the topic started with zeppelin and the poster wanting one - it is not clear one wanted a magical one or a mundane one. I have the impression the leaning was toward mundane in stead of magic. All things are possible should the DM permit, just some are harder to fit into FR.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  22:45:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, I am aware of the limitations of magic, though I was thinking of making it permanent, so that it is either always active, or is harder to dispell completely. In the case of permanent items, dispell only suppresses it within the effect range, so once if fell beyond that range, the magic could easily activate again. (Make it activate like some feather-fall items, and you'd never have to fear crashing!)

As I mentioned, though, if one really WANTED to go tech, it would be a simple matter to use lighter materials to off-set the problems of weight. Spidersilk for the balloon for a very light, and strong balloon material comse to mind, for one. Available in quantities in many Underdark cities, or so I've heard.... Might be pricy for that much of it, but the advantage of being much harder to rip makes it worth it. Mithril for the machinery, as I mentioned, and if one wishes to make cargo and fuel a non-issue, a simple box of holding- or better yet, Dragon did an issue on pirates that mentioned a hold of holding- would solve that problem easily. No one has stated whether there cannot be ANY magic used, just not using it in the main construction. I supposed if you didn't want any at all (Why wouldn't you? Anti-fire or other protections, at the very least would be a good investment on such a project.) You could eschew it completely, but I wouldn't. These are just a few suggestions that might make it feasible- which I believe was the original issue under discussion.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  13:57:09  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I may have missed a mention of this, but on page ten of Dwarves Deep airships are mentioned among the spectacular failures of the dwarven craftsmen. Well, maybe the gold dwarves managed to correct this. Sounds like something I might use at a later date.

I remember another mention of non-halruuan skyships somewhere too, but can't seem to dig it up again... maybe just a small entry in a chronology... hmmmm.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  14:00:58  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
261/Year of Soaring Stars

Elven and human mages devise spells needed to sail the skies in this year, and new skyships are seen in Faerūn - the first such craft outside of Halruua since the fall of Netheril.

google is my friend!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  14:02:48  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... and there was something about a blimp in one of the live chris perkins and penny arcade games.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  13:16:19  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

back in the day, ancient Netheril had some elemental airships...
I think they were detailed in Lost Empires or MAgic of FAerun.
they were not ever detailed in depths though

Netherese had skimmers - small boats propelled by air elementals (and elemental-kin). Initially used for buzzing over swamp, for which they are ideal vehicle - right until it runs into a pocket of swamp gas and pilot suffocates, that is.

quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

I remember another mention of non-halruuan skyships somewhere too, but can't seem to dig it up again...

Realmslore: The Lost Ship (Part One),
(Part Two).
Forging the Realms: New Ships of the Air
Those?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  15:38:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to canon Halruaa does NOT share its skyships with ANYONE. Then, later in that same canon it says they've given a few to the lizardmen.

There is also mention of Halruaan skyships in use in the Golden Waters region - one mention in the OGB and several were sold to Durpar and in use by them (in Bruce Cordell's novel Darkvision). Not sure if he was aware of the earlier mention and made use of it, or if its just a coincidence.

And in the story Once Around the Realms we see that old Halruaan skyships are put in a special 'graveyard', and although they are supposed to guarded there (for their secrets), unscrupulous types have made a business of selling-off repairable 'wrecks'. That could explain how some of them are found elsewhere.

So even though the canon says Halruaa does not let these ships get away from them... THEY DO.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2015 15:40:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000