Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Barbarians in the Western Heartlands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  17:25:46  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm having a difficult time finding information about barbarians and such in the Western Heartlands. FRCS says they are common in the WH, but I haven't found any specifics.

Thanks!

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  17:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the FRCS is dreaming. I've been reading a bunch of 2e stuff (which tends to be better thought out) on the Western Heartlands, since I'm running a game here at the Keep set there, and "barbarian" isn't close to the description for it. I'd say it's a lot closer to "rural western America rugged pioneer," at least in mindset. It's been settled for well over a thousand years, been on the fringes of various empires (ranging from Cormyr to the Shoon), and is now a bunch of city states and various small towns. The only barbarians would be those wandering down from the Savage North, their usual habitat.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  18:41:05  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second that, I've never heard tell of heartlands barbarians. A barbarian invasion, on the other hand, could come from all kinds of places!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  19:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only other barbarians anywhere close to the Heartlands would be the horsemen of the Ride, but that's Eastern Hearlands, not Western. I could sort of see a couple of tribes up and moving west to get away from the harassment of the Moonsea cities. The Western Heartlands is caravan country, so it would be good grazing for horses and cattle, with plenty of raiding opportunities. That would be possible, probably in the emptyness north of Soubar and south of the Marsh of Chelimber. But that's just extrapolation, they aren't actually there unless you make the change in your own Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  19:41:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the 1ed. Campaign setting would be the place to look. In the encyclopaedia under Barbarian. I seem to rememberer the High Moors having a barbarian culture. The Marsember is also near with bandits descendants of "barbarians". of course other sources have contradicted much of this early version of the Realms.

I will have to take a look at my books later.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  20:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good call on the High Moor, though that's generally more Savage North than Western Heartlands.

IIRC, the human inhabitants are "barbarian" in that they don't build cities or have advanced culture. They're more nomadic cattle/sheep herders. I don't think they plant many crops or use many horses, but I'm afb and can't confirm that. They aren't, however, your "typical" barbarian, as stereotyped by the Uthgardt. Different gods, and different culture.

Another place to look for info on them would be one of the Appedices (I forget which one) to Elminster's Ecologies. One of them has a section on the High Moor.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  20:52:42  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Good call on the High Moor, though that's generally more Savage North than Western Heartlands.

IIRC, the human inhabitants are "barbarian" in that they don't build cities or have advanced culture. They're more nomadic cattle/sheep herders. I don't think they plant many crops or use many horses, but I'm afb and can't confirm that. They aren't, however, your "typical" barbarian, as stereotyped by the Uthgardt. Different gods, and different culture.

Another place to look for info on them would be one of the Appedices (I forget which one) to Elminster's Ecologies. One of them has a section on the High Moor.

I don't know, the southern parts of the High Moor borders to what I would call the Western Heartlands. As for teh Elminster Eucology, I think it was the first one. Isn't that a free download from Wizards page?

I agree that it wouldn't be the Uthgard style barbarians (which were not original realmsian anyway and to me always felt a bit out of place), but they fit with the groups of the old class.

I found the 1ed. book:

Horse barbarians: North of the Moonsea and the Ride.

Moor Barbarians: Found in the High Moor. They make their living without large beasts. Typical weapons are spears, two-handed swords and bows.

Hill and Mountain barbarians: More or less cavemen. Found in the Far Hills and Earthrust Mountains(?).

Desert barbarians: Dervish-like. Found near Desert's Edge.

Forest barbarians: Border Forest, the woods north of the Troll Hills.

Island barbarians: Small Islands in the Sea of Swords and the Sea of Fallen Stars.
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  22:47:18  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

She's probably going to make her PC's tribe a semi nomadic one from the Skull Gorge area.

She wasn't really looking for a mounted barbarian, so we leaned away from Narfell, the Ride and Tun.

She didn't want to be too Norse, so we also ruled out Reghed and Uthgart.

We will probably generate a modest home brew tribe in that area.

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.

Edited by - bitter thorn on 17 Nov 2009 22:49:44
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  18:43:27  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone stumbled upon more info on the moor barbarians in the last six years?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  20:10:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope.

I wanted to include the High Moor in some of the stuff Eric Boyd and I were working on, and he tapped Steven Schend on HIS thoughts, and it was decided that although a huge chunk of it fell-out on both maps I did for Eric, the region deserved its own sourcebook, because the lore was so extensive and touched on so many other regions (and cultures).

Two things we did work-out: Dragospear was originally one of the (Dwarven) Moorsedge Keeps (it falls in a perfect line with them and is equidistant), and it was destroyed and then later rebuilt (so basically, just the foundations and the dungeons beneath are 'original').

The second thing was that the 'Fire Marshes' from the EE product were in reality bits of 'elemental chaos' that has seeped into this world, so all four elements are involved (all four were involved anyway, when you think about the name). We also updated the name to 'Hellwrought Lands', to indicate how miserable those regions really are. Assume its like a localized bit of the elemental maelstrom, with pockets of BOTH wild magic & dead magic (2e), and as of 4e, 'Plaguelands', so truly, they are anathema to anything living.

Barbarains (descendents of 'Fallen Orogoth') still manage to make the Moor their home, as well as all sorts of Goblinkin - most especially hobgoblins, who compete with the humans for resources. The scalyfolk have a large presence along the eastern edge, there are several dragons, and other large predators on the surface, and drow (and worse!) beneath the surface. The Sharnlands dip way into the Moors as well. The place really is a craphole no nation in its right mind would ever want to claim.

As of the end of 3e, a LOT has changed, which is why we'd probably need to do a whole separate project on the place. There are now several new lakes, and a few 'fertile' regions... which would be in a 'nature battle' with the Hellwrought Lands to take over the rest. I would assume a large presence of druids (along with the new elven settlers) trying to alleviate some of the damage this 'nature run amok' is causing.

And thats it in a nutshell. Not a whole lot of info on those barabarians themselves, aside from what little is in Elminster's Ecologies.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  21:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I wanted to include the High Moor in some of the stuff Eric Boyd and I were working on, and he tapped Steven Schend on HIS thoughts, and it was decided that although a huge chunk of it fell-out on both maps I did for Eric, the region deserved its own sourcebook, because the lore was so extensive and touched on so many other regions (and cultures).

Just curious, is any of the Under Illefarn Anew material going to end up in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide that is slated for November? If you're allowed to comment, of course!

Edited by - Rymac on 02 Aug 2015 21:23:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  21:36:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea - I certainly hope so!

As great as that product was/is - an update of the old Illefarn adventure with TONS of lore tacked on - the second one regarding The High Forest took all of that to another level. The history alone (and I mean HISTORY, going ALL the way back) would make it worth the purchase price... if it ever sees the light of day.

Ah, Jergal... you sly old... ummm... whatever you are.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2015 21:36:49
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  22:11:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North and the Savage Frontier were definitely rugged, sparsely-populated, uncivilized areas at the inception of 2E. But by the latter days of the 2E era it had been developed and detailed extensively - and aside from the few barbarian peoples WotC put on the map (such as the Uthgardt and Northmen of the Moonshaes) there really aren't any "uncivilized" peoples (or orc hordes or monsters) or places for them to live anymore. It seems you can hardly ride more than one day in any direction before encountering somebody's keep or castle or town, and all-too-many pockets of civilization are interconnected (by magical communication and transport) into a grand semi-Medieval Realms civilization.

3E revived barbarians via Rashemen Berserks and such, but the Conan-inspired Gygax barbarian concept seems to have become largely extinct. What if a player wants to play a barbarian character but is disinterested in being an Uthgardt? And how barbaric could he (and his entire clan or tribe) really be when there's a prosperous village or trading post in the next valley, a fortified citadel over the next hill (and a more fortified dwarven citadel underneath it), major cities like Waterdeep and Silverymoon less than a tenday's ride distant? People may be proud and stubbornly self-reliant and a bit aggressive and even technologically backward, but that doesn't mean they're going to be stupid and stay that way generation after generation. The Realms seems to have little room left for barbarians, aside from curiously ill-fitted anachronisms.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000