Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Eldath - goddess of sparkly water!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  06:51:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Eh. If I had to choose a Firefly cast member I'd want in my "personal party," it'd be Kaylee.

S'funny, but if I could pick only one, it wouldn't be any of the babefest that make up the female side of the crew... though River is tempting for being cute and a butt-kicker. No, I'd want Jayne along to smooth things over when the going gets rough.

Jayne smooth things over? That's a new use of that phrase!

I'd pick Kaylee if I needed anything other than a fighter-type. Her personality and her looks are just about the best possible combination!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Feb 2009 06:51:48
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  07:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Smooth things over like a bulldozer through a china shop.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  13:16:27  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Sage was using personal party in a somewhat different way, though.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  13:24:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it! When I said "personal party"... I meant a party consisting on myself and Kaylee ONLY.

I even have some neato ideas for "role-playing scenarios" our characters could face together.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  17:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eh. If I had to choose a Firefly cast member I'd want in my "personal party," it'd be Kaylee.

What, no love for Inara?

I personally think she makes a great role model for a priestess of Sune or Sharess, with a personality rather more complex than the simple sex kitten.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  17:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

Isn't that how it works? Have you ever known a DM who didn't bring back an escaped bad guy to plague the party? Just once I'd like to see the bad guy come back and thank us for turning him away from a life of evil.

Well, the Book of Exalted Deeds did have guidelines for turning someone away from a life devoted to evil, which struck me as something that would be very good for clerics of Eilistraee to know (for dealing with their less enlightened brethren -- or should that be sistren?).

Admittedly, that wouldn;t be suited to every campaign or style of play, but I personally would like seeing a DM allow PC clerics or paladins occasionaly win a 'battle' for conversion.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  18:17:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<off-topic>
That's weird. All this talk of Firefly when I just got a brand new Browncoat t-shirt from ThinkGeek to wear to GenCon.

The fun thing is, I also got a cheap Sonic Screwdriver replica in the same order... Talk about polar opposites!
</off-topic>

I've always played most monks and druids as being pacifists by nature. So, the pacifism of Eldath doesn't stick out to me...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  18:20:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

What, no love for Inara?

I personally think she makes a great role model for a priestess of Sune or Sharess, with a personality rather more complex than the simple sex kitten.

Kaylee would be more fun to hang out with until the clothes came off. Then it's Inara. Of course, why pick just one of the two?

Inara would be a good model for a priestess of Sune.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  18:30:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turning 'bad guys' into 'good guys' is just SO Spiderman, IMHO.

Not that it is a bad thing, but they over did it in Spidey's comics (to the point where they made fun of themselves with a group of 'Spider-rejects'), and I can't help but think of all those bad guys that "saw the light" thanks to May Parker's nephew.

Of course, if he didn't do that, Silver Sable wouldn't have at least half her mercenaries.

Anyhow, one of my favorite CKC articles (IIRC) was the one centered around an adventuring comapany/mercnary group of 'enlightened' fiends. Something about 'evil guys' saving the day tickles my inner-DM.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  23:14:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

What, no love for Inara?

Inara would certainly have the benefit of experience, which can be an asset, I suppose.

And I'd see Inara as more of a cleric of Sharess, rather than Sune. She doesn't seem to hold all that much love for those she "assists." Rather, Inara fits the "sensual fulfilment" and "festhall" aspects of the Dancing Lady's faith.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Inara would be a good model for a priestess of Sune.
Actually, she became a rather suitable model for a Canopian NPC in one of my BT campaigns set in the Periphery a couple of years back.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Feb 2009 23:16:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  23:18:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Turning 'bad guys' into 'good guys' is just SO Spiderman, IMHO.

Not that it is a bad thing, but they over did it in Spidey's comics (to the point where they made fun of themselves with a group of 'Spider-rejects'), and I can't help but think of all those bad guys that "saw the light" thanks to May Parker's nephew.
Heh. I still remember when Sandman tried to "go good." What a laugh that was.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  23:25:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He didn't stay that way?

I stopped reading comics right after he joined-up with Silver sable, along with Skateboard dude and Rollerskate lad (or whatever their real names were). It seemed like evry year at least one villain 'went soft' because of Spidey.

I think 'Spider-boy' and the Toad were pretty funny temporary side-kicks - I think thats where they got the idea for 'Increda-boy' in the movie The Incredibles.

At least those story-lines were good for a laugh; glad I left before everything got so gruesome.

Anyhow... bad-guy turned good-guy, only to show-up much later and become a bad-guy again (proving once and for all to the PCs that a leaopard doesn't change it's spots) sounds like a real cool continuing story-line for background flavor.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  05:59:40  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Skateboard dude and Rollerskate lad

I've been watching too much Stephen Lynch.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Noad Biddleberry
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  20:09:23  Show Profile Send Noad Biddleberry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is anyone still reading this??

I'm playing in 5E now and I've created a half-orc Ranger. With the acolyte profession, I can be a follower of Eldath.

The backstory I have is that I was part of a Orc, Half-orc tribe. My scouting party came across some followers of Eldath and attacked them. Tho they were pacifists, they easily defeated us without killing any of us.

My character Mercurial Pfrick, was interested in this source of power and strives to become unstoppable in the way of peace (i.e. he doesn't get it yet :D ) And later takes the name of one of his supervisors to signify a change now becoming Guy M. Pfrick. (pronouced Gii not Guy, but he lets people say that)

He is currently lvl 3. I only want to choose pacifist spells until later on, but his martial skill comes from his background, and early in his levels he still chooses to fight.

Right now I have Goodberry, Speak with Animals and Fog Cloud. Eventually the plan is to make him a Monk, but I need to have some kind of last minute gambit to defend myself.

So I go Ranger to lvl 15 to get my beastmaster spells to affect my Boar companion also when I target myself, then and level 18, (monk lvl 3) I can cast Fist of Thunder to case thunderwave on myself, which in turn casts it from my Boar as well.

I'm going to try to roleplay him as he never quite gets it, but avoids combat as much as possible in later game scenarios.

He also has cool quips like "The only way to obtain peace, is through WAR!!!" or "have a taste of my passive-fist!"

Give me some suggestions on a way to go. The DM where I play is not super fond of multiclassing in 5E, but I think it fits the character.

A monster is not a monster when you're unafraid
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  20:37:38  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eldath is a ...she?!?! Lol, how have I never noticed that! *Smacks face hard*
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2015 :  03:21:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

"She" makes an appearance in one of Ed's "Shadows of the Avatar" trilogy novels.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2015 :  13:50:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Thats okay, for twenty years I thought Chauntea was a dude.

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2015 :  16:02:45  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there's an Eldathyn holding a bow on page 145 of Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000