Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Ghosts of Christmas Past: Santa in 3.x & 5E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  20:49:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Heh. I'll have to dig out the PLANESCAPE interpretation I had for Father Christmas as a Ring-Giver in a one-shot campaign I ran a couple of years ago.

I guess we are still waiting?

And still waiting, 4 years on!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  20:49:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And now Sage has yet-another year to give us his interpretation.
Hey, I have a reputation to maintain.

Wooly has his mischievous ways, and I, my unreliability. We play to our strengths.

Ah, but the difference is, I put mine in my title. You should be Procrastinator Most High.

I'd forgotten that this title originated here.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  08:34:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

Heh. I'll have to dig out the PLANESCAPE interpretation I had for Father Christmas as a Ring-Giver in a one-shot campaign I ran a couple of years ago.

I guess we are still waiting?

And still waiting, 4 years on!

I'll offer a partial defence in the fact that I can't even remember where this notebook is any more.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  14:24:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of these days I will have to 'publish' my holiday adventure somewhere. I lost the original outline, but I still remember how it goes (it was a dark and twisted homage to some of our favorite Yuletide classics).

"Beware the Toyman..."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Dec 2012 14:24:59
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  17:26:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a note because I received it today. I play everquest 2 off and on, so when the frostfell festivities started, I had to log in. They've got a goblin named Santa Glug who gives out daily presents. Today, I got his "avatar" that I can use in dungeon designing (because about a year back they put in the ability to make your own dungeon in EQ2).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  17:34:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit early, this year: my annual holiday thread necromancy!

I have checked the below links, and much to my surprise, they are still valid.

So here is, courtesy of WotC, a D&D version of Santa Claus. Enjoy!

quote:

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Nicholas the Gift-Giver's Northern Palace
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Dec 2013 17:38:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  17:35:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

5 years and counting, O Procrastinator Most High!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Dec 2013 17:36:36
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  18:52:50  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first year experiencing this, tis a wonderful thing fellow sages! ^_^

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  19:48:22  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed! This is my the first time I've experienced this, too, and seeing this link has brought a smile to my face at a time when I've had little, if anything, to smile about. (I've been having a lot of RW problems recently, but I won't bother any of you with details, since I'm pretty sure Wooly started this thread for the enjoyment of all who read it.)

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 03 Dec 2013 19:50:19
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  19:54:43  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my fellow sage, this shall be a happy celebratory thread for all of us to enjoy! Regardless of what is going on, we can come together and become nostalgic/introduced to this concept for the realms!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  18:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Either I'd never seen this thread or forgotten it. Thanks to Wooly of Holidays Past for plugging the old work Bryon Wischstadt & I did for Bastion Press on Faeries.

As I'd not seen a link for that product in which The Holly King (and our homage to Neil Gaiman's Dreamlord too!) exists in D20 stats, here 'tis.
http://www.bastionpress.com/Products/faeries.htm

Now I'm just astounded that that product is over 10 years old....sigh.....

Gaming Dinosaur

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  18:18:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Heh. Either I'd never seen this thread or forgotten it. Thanks to Wooly of Holidays Past for plugging the old work Bryon Wischstadt & I did for Bastion Press on Faeries.

As I'd not seen a link for that product in which The Holly King (and our homage to Neil Gaiman's Dreamlord too!) exists in D20 stats, here 'tis.
http://www.bastionpress.com/Products/faeries.htm

Now I'm just astounded that that product is over 10 years old....sigh.....

Gaming Dinosaur

It's a great resource, and for me, it is the go-to source on all things fae.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  11:44:13  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must have just missed this last year so thanks for sharing Wooly, brought a smile to my face.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  13:37:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just giving this thread a bump, to make sure people that may need it can see it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  00:30:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Resurrecting this thread a bit earlier than the norm, this year... They've finally relocated all the original links, but I was able to locate the new URLs with a bit of Google-fu.

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  00:31:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Procrastinator Most High continues to prove worthy of his title, six years on!

And I had, once more, forgotten that his title originated in this particular thread.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  06:07:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bumping this thread back up, since there's only a few days left to use D&D Santa in a gaming session.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  00:43:27  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Resurrecting this thread a bit earlier than the norm, this year... They've finally relocated all the original links, but I was able to locate the new URLs with a bit of Google-fu.

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

I'm going to figure out how to work these into my game. Somehow.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  01:10:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

St. Nick a.k.a. Annatar the Lord of Gifts a.k.a. Sauron

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  01:26:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it has been mentioned in a couple other threads recently, I love the description of ole Saint Nick in the Dresden Files, Winter Knight, I believe. Found it. Twas Cold Days, actually...

"...this man was a bear. His shoulders were so broadly proportioned that he made Herne look positively slender by comparison. His forearms were nearly the size of his biceps and he had the kind of thick neck that you see only in power-lifters and professional thugs. There were scars all over his hands, and more on his face, all of them faded away to ancient white lines, like those you see on some life-long bikers. He wore a coat of mail of some kind - a creature of faerie couldn't abide the touch of iron, so it had to be something else. Over the mail he wore a long open robe of scarlet, trimmed in white fur. It was held in place with a wide black leather belt. He had such a barrel of a chest that even a modest bit of stomach was a considerable mass on his huge frame. His gloves were made of black leather trimmed with more white fur and they were tucked through the belt, right next to the very plain and functional hilt of an unadorned broadsword. His hair was short and shining clean and his white beard fell over his chest like the white breaker of a wave. His eyes were clean, winter sky-blue..." - Jim Butcher

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Dec 2014 01:52:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2015 :  05:39:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

Ah, my Candlekeep holiday tradition: thread necromancy.

The links are still good! Enjoy this 3.x version of Santa, brought to you by WotC and my sometimes odd memory!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Dec 2015 05:40:24
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2015 :  03:16:17  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What with the Krampus movie being out at this time, I wonder if he's been statted in any books or Dragon magazines.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2015 :  06:00:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely going to have to make a 4e version (and possibly 5e version) of this one and have his Workshop attacked by some thing to get the PCs involved. Maybe the Abominable Snowman with a small army of ferocious snowmen and terrible ice sculptures in a freaky winter wonderland encounter!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  03:16:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing says Christmas like thread necromancy!

The links in my first post, the ones not struck thru, are still good.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  03:17:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So this post dates back to 2008...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2016 :  14:11:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So this post dates back to 2008...

So I'm on course to deliver this, then, following my long tradition of promising stuff for my fellow scribes... only to make them then wait years upon years.

Seriously, this one must be a record-wait for me...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2017 :  03:18:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis the season for necromancy!

Specifically, me resurrecting this thread, which I just remembered to do.

The links in the first post, the ones that haven't been lined thru, are still good, too -- I just checked.

Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2017 :  04:53:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

'Tis the season for necromancy!

Specifically, me resurrecting this thread, which I just remembered to do.

The links in the first post, the ones that haven't been lined thru, are still good, too -- I just checked.

Enjoy!

I honestly need to re-vamp this guy to both 4th and 5th Edition. I'll put it on my bucket List
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2018 :  22:07:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Thanksgiving dinner has been consumed, so I'm now calling it Christmastime -- which means dusting off this old thread, checking the links, and re-stickying it.

And the links in the original post are still good. Given the way WotC mismanages their website, the fact that those links I updated in 2014 are still good is a Christmas miracle!

Go to Top of Page

killerasus
Acolyte

Brazil
13 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  04:53:02  Show Profile  Visit killerasus's Homepage Send killerasus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Wooly, there's an 5th edition version of Nicholas the Gift-Givers' Northern Palace in a Dragon+ from 2017.

http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/116351/103606994?loadFresh=true&title=17_12_Dragon%20Classics

I blog in Brazilian Portuguese about RPGs at http://minasdesal.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000